PDA

View Full Version : General Politics For those that care what the rest of the world thinks of us

mlyonsd
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
EU Presidency: Obama Plans 'a Way to Hell'

Wednesday, March 25, 2009
http://www.foxnews.com/images/service_ap_36.gif
STRASBOURG, France

A top European Union politician on Wednesday slammed U.S. plans to spend its way out of recession as "a way to hell."

Czech Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek, whose country currently holds the EU presidency, told the European Parliament that President Barack Obama's massive stimulus package and banking bailout "will undermine the stability of the global financial market."

A day after his government collapsed because of a parliamentary vote of no-confidence, Topolanek took the EU presidency on a collision course with Washington over how to deal with the global economic recession.

Most European leaders favor tighter financial regulation, while the U.S. has been pushing for larger economic stimulus plans.

Topolanek's comments are the strongest criticism so far from a European leader as the 27-nation bloc bristles from recent U.S. criticism that it is not spending enough to stimulate demand.

They also pave the way for a stormy summit next week in London between leaders of the Group of 20 industrialized countries.
The host of the summit, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, praised Obama on Tuesday for his willingness to work with Europe on reforming the global economy in the run-up to the G-20 summit.

The United States plans to spend heavily to try and lift its economy out of recession with a $787 billion economic stimulus plan of tax rebates, health and welfare benefits, as well as extra energy and infrastructure spending.
To encourage banks to lend again, the government will also pump $1 trillion into the financial system by buying up treasury bonds and mortgage securities in an effort to clear some of the "toxic assets" devalued and untradeable assets from banks' balance sheets.

Topolanek bluntly said that "the United States did not take the right path.".

He slammed the U.S.' widening budget deficit and protectionist trade measures such as the "Buy America" and said that "all of these steps, these combinations and permanency is the way to hell."

"We need to read the history books and the lessons of history and the biggest success of the (EU) is the refusal to go this way," he said.
"Americans will need liquidity to finance all their measures and they will balance this with the sale of their bonds but this will undermine the stability of the global financial market," said Topolanek.

Obama insisted Tuesday that his massive budget proposal is moving the nation down the right path and will help the ailing economy grow again. "This budget is inseparable from this recovery," he said, "because it is what lays the foundation for a secure and lasting prosperity."

Obama also claimed early progress in his aggressive campaign to lead the United States out of its worst economic crisis in 70 years and declared that despite obstacles ahead, the U.S. is "moving in the right direction."

http://http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510445,00.html

alanm
03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
As the former president sits on a rocker on his porch in Crawford laughing his ass off at Chairman Zero because everyone thought Bush was such a Meany.

Ultra Peanut
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
What ever will we do if the CZECHS decide to bounce?

http://j.photos.cx/cherry20picking1-214.jpg

Jenson71
03-25-2009, 08:59 PM
"The rest of the world"? I thought we didn't care about European economic strategies. Nevertheless, everything he says has been said by other people who happen to be Americans.

Rigodan
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
The French criticized our spending habits too. The fucking French! What is the hell is happening to America?

banyon
03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
He slammed the U.S.' widening budget deficit and protectionist trade measures — such as the "Buy America" — and said that "all of these steps, these combinations and permanency is the way to hell."

Well, we know who's buttering his bread.

KC Dan
03-25-2009, 09:33 PM
I say screw them but it is funny how the same people that said that look the Euro's love Obama and hate Bush - they are so smart and refined. And now, it's why should we listen to their opinion now. Hypocracy, gotta love it.

alanm
03-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I say screw them but it is funny how the same people that said that look the Euro's love Obama and hate Bush - they are so smart and refined. And now, it's why should we listen to their opinion now. Hypocracy, gotta love it.Hypocrisy has no definition in the Progressive Handbook. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
It's not THE EUROS, fucktards. It's the prime minister of the Czech BAH GAWD Republic.

***SPRAYER
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
ROFLWanna know what's REALLY funny? Just read the article in the OP. The guy "leading" this "charge" just got voted into an extremely vulnerable position in his own fucking government. He's certainly not trying to bolster his own fortunes by looking strong. I mean, it's not like his job is on the line, or anything. To expound:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1887551,00.html

Czech Government's Collapse Hits the E.U.
By Leo Cendrowicz / Brussels Wednesday, Mar. 25, 2009

One vote was all it took to bring down the Czech government. By the slimmest of majorities, 101 out of 200, the Czech parliament backed a no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek's fragile center-right coalition government on Tuesday night.
. . .
Yet the Czechs were already struggling with their presidency role before the government fell. This was partly due to it being a small country taking on the presidency for the first time, but also to the sheer demands of steering the E.U. through the economic crisis. Unflattering comparisons with last year's activist French presidency — with critics complaining that the Czechs are doing too little — don't help, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been curtly dismissive of his successors at the E.U.'s helm. (See pictures of Sarkozy in the U.K.)

Political uncertainty in Prague seems to have added to the unsteady leadership. In Tuesday's vote, Topolanek was defeated by the mainly center-left opposition, but he has also had to cope with sniping from his own president, Vaclav Klaus. Klaus has been outspoken about his criticisms of every aspect of the E.U., even telling the European Parliament last month that it was an elitist project comparable to Soviet-era dictatorships.

Until now, Topolanek could say that Klaus held a mainly figurative position, with few formal powers to disrupt the Czech presidency. But under the Czech constitution, the president has the power to nominate a new prime minister, making him the country's kingmaker — a prospect that does little to raise spirits in Brussels.

***SPRAYER
03-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Wanna know what's REALLY funny? Just read the article in the OP. The guy "leading" this "charge" just got voted into an extremely vulnerable position in his own ****ing government. He's certainly not trying to bolster his own fortunes by looking strong. I mean, it's not like his job is on the line, or anything. To expound:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1887551,00.html

Czech Government's Collapse Hits the E.U.
By Leo Cendrowicz / Brussels Wednesday, Mar. 25, 2009

One vote was all it took to bring down the Czech government. By the slimmest of majorities, 101 out of 200, the Czech parliament backed a no-confidence motion against Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek's fragile center-right coalition government on Tuesday night.
. . .
Yet the Czechs were already struggling with their presidency role before the government fell. This was partly due to it being a small country taking on the presidency for the first time, but also to the sheer demands of steering the E.U. through the economic crisis. Unflattering comparisons with last year's activist French presidency with critics complaining that the Czechs are doing too little don't help, and French President Nicolas Sarkozy has been curtly dismissive of his successors at the E.U.'s helm. (See pictures of Sarkozy in the U.K.)

Political uncertainty in Prague seems to have added to the unsteady leadership. In Tuesday's vote, Topolanek was defeated by the mainly center-left opposition, but he has also had to cope with sniping from his own president, Vaclav Klaus. Klaus has been outspoken about his criticisms of every aspect of the E.U., even telling the European Parliament last month that it was an elitist project comparable to Soviet-era dictatorships.

Until now, Topolanek could say that Klaus held a mainly figurative position, with few formal powers to disrupt the Czech presidency. But under the Czech constitution, the president has the power to nominate a new prime minister, making him the country's kingmaker a prospect that does little to raise spirits in Brussels.

Which makes it even more disturbing that this guy is criticising B.O.

I guess only Europeans like that Brit MC'ing the mTV awards have opinions that matter to moonbats.

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Which makes it even more disturbing that this guy is criticising B.O.No more disturbing than your unhinged ravings.

I guess only Europeans like that Brit MC'ing the mTV awards have opinions that matter to moonbats.No fucking clue what you're talking about. Clearly, you have your finger on the moonbat pulse.

Mr. Kotter
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
But, I thought....Bush was the source of all evil in the universe.

I thought we'd all have joined hands and be singing the stupid old Coca-cola song....or singing Kumbuya.

I'm shocked; shocked, I tell you. :spock:

***SPRAYER
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
But editors of the Harvard Law Review don't write the actual articles! Ha!

patteeu
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Wanna know what's REALLY funny? Just read the article in the OP. The guy "leading" this "charge" just got voted into an extremely vulnerable position in his own ****ing government. He's certainly not trying to bolster his own fortunes by looking strong. I mean, it's not like his job is on the line, or anything.

In other words, this European politician is criticizing Obama because he believes it will be popular among his European constituents. That IS really funny. It also bolsters mlyonsd's point.

Duck Dog
03-26-2009, 11:51 AM
You mean these people?

http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

Ultra Peanut
03-26-2009, 11:51 AM
He has a constituency of one: Klaus, who holds his job in his hands.

But I think YOU FORGOT ABOUT POLAND!

mlyonsd
03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
The correct answer here is we shouldn't give one rip what any other country thinks of us when we decide what's best for our national security, economy, or anything that affects the welfare of our citizens.

I just thought those that used what other countries thought about Bush's policies as an issue should have it pointed out to them that its stupid to worry about stuff like that.

***SPRAYER
04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.thehopeforamerica.com/play.php?id=788

Amnorix
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
You fellows realize, I assume, that if the American President is popular or well regarded around the world, it makes it politically easier for their leaders to support us, us policies and our programs. Conversely, supporting our President becomes politically difficult if the guy is hated.

I know this type of really deep analysis may be beyond some folks....

:rolleyes:

StcChief
04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
You mean these people?

http://www.sorryeverybody.com/That's the real America. The rest of the world is lucky we are "generous" ..... that approach has just about wore out it's welcome

SBK
04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
You fellows realize, I assume, that if the American President is popular or well regarded around the world, it makes it politically easier for their leaders to support us, us policies and our programs. Conversely, supporting our President becomes politically difficult if the guy is hated.

All politicians who weaken their nation are popular with their enemies. :evil:

T-post Tom
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM

I think the Europeans are generally considered allies. And it's been documented that Obama is well thought of in Europe despite the thread starters misleading title. Fox does love its inflammatory headlines. And they've no doubt got some love for the Czech PM. Right wing bastards. :D

patteeu
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM

It's often a trade off between policies and popularity though. If you have to replace the policies that are best for the nation with inferior ones that will make you more popular, it's not necessarily a huge payoff when foreign leaders suddenly start supporting the new policies. I have no doubt that we could gain quite a bit of popularity in the Arab world and much of Europe by abandoning Israel, for example. In real life we seem to be preparing to stab Poland and other eastern European countries in the back in order to curry favor in Moscow.

patteeu
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Succinct.

patteeu
04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I think the Europeans are generally considered allies. And it's been documented that Obama is well thought of in Europe despite the thread starters misleading title. Fox does love its inflammatory headlines. And they've no doubt got some love for the Czech PM. Right wing bastards. :D

The Europeans love the way Obama apologizes for America's transgressions because it lets them continue to pretend to be morally superior as they leech off of the global security provided by the bully, Uncle Sam.

KC Dan
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
[quote=Amnorix;5649672]You fellows realize, I assume, that if the American President is popular or well regarded around the world, it makes it politically easier for their leaders to support us, us policies and our programs. Conversely, supporting our President becomes politically difficult if the guy is hated.

I know this type of really deep analysis may be beyond some folks..../quote]
I really hope that you are right and we can influence others. It is better than being hated but it really means nothing if this tactic renders no European support for US policies. While still very short term, He got nothing from Europe - nothing of any substance at all.