PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Tomato soup recipes

Count Alex's Losses
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
So last night I'm making tomato soup, and decide to experiment.

I throw in some sweet basil, black pepper, a little Parmesan, grate some Vermont cheddar, and top it off with a dash or two of cayenne. Let it boil for about 10 minutes, came back and....DELICIOUS!

I'm guessing there are other ways to spice up tomato soup, or other plain soups. Share your recipes!

KcMizzou
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ezOiGr6JSIQ/RgVnU5pwlWI/AAAAAAAAAAU/8LMB_bq-Jcc/s320/20070324_132840_1_tomato_soup.4.jpg

Baby Lee
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
cayenne, sour cream, and shaved cheddar, sink in some croutons right before eating. All you know and all you need know.

DeezNutz
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ezOiGr6JSIQ/RgVnU5pwlWI/AAAAAAAAAAU/8LMB_bq-Jcc/s320/20070324_132840_1_tomato_soup.4.jpg

There it is.

Sometimes using water and sometimes using milk.

Katipan
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Dip a grilled cheese sammich in it.

Spott
03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Try adding a bay leaf sometime.

Miles
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fB7e6FTCL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

the Talking Can
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
just take out your tampon and squeeze

RJ
03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
From Giada De Lacleavage. She has a few very tasty tomato soup recipes, I like this one.

Disclaimer: Condensed, canned tomato soup is not involved.

Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary
Giada de Laurentiis

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 onion, peeled and chopped
* 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white) beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
* 3 cups chicken broth
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, plus 1 teaspoon, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2/3 cup creme fraiche
* Zest of one lemon

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.

Puree the soup in a blender in batches, being careful to remove and discard the bay leaf. Return the soup to a soup pot and keep warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.

In a medium bowl fold in the lemon zest and the remaining teaspoon of rosemary to 2/3 cup creme fraiche. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and dollop each bowl with the lemon rosemary creme fraiche. Serve immediately.

Nzoner
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Dip a grilled cheese sammich in it.

I dip bologna sammiches in it.

luv
03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
So last night I'm making tomato soup, and decide to experiment.

I throw in some sweet basil, black pepper, a little Parmesan, grate some Vermont cheddar, and top it off with a dash or two of cayenne. Let it boil for about 10 minutes, came back and....DELICIOUS!

I'm guessing there are other ways to spice up tomato soup, or other plain soups. Share your recipes!

Sounds a lot like the tomato soup they serve at Nearly Famous here in Springfeld, minus the cheddar. OMG, it's good.

luv
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM

You're such a.....guy. :p

Skip Towne
03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Sunday night has always been soup and sandwich night at our house. Especially tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Count Alex's Losses
03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Sunday night has always been soup and sandwich night at our house.

You live with someone now?

KcMizzou
03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
You're such a.....guy. :pWhy, thank you.

Count Alex's Losses
03-25-2009, 09:05 PM
But luv, guys who can cook are sexy.

luv
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
But luv, guys who can cook are sexy.

I think so, but it's more of a perk. Definitely not deal breaker.

Delano
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
A few years ago I used a baked tomato soup recipe but I can't seem to find the damn thing now.

All I can remember at this point is putting brown sugar and bourbon on fresh tomato halves and baking them. Process the tomatoes after about an hour and add to some other shit that I've forgotten.

luv
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
A few years ago I used a baked tomato soup recipe but I can't seem to find the damn thing now.

All I can remember at this point is putting brown sugar and bourbon on fresh tomato halves and baking them. Process the tomatoes after about an hour and add to some other shit that I've forgotten.

Shit and tomatoes sounds like a yummy combination.

Gracie Dean
03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
There used to be a resturaunt here in Wichita called Tanya's soup kitchen. She had THE best tomato curry and rice soup. TO die for!!! sadly she lost her lease in the building and has not reopened. A shame because daily the waiting list to get seated was always 30+ minutes

Delano
03-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Shit and tomatoes sounds like a yummy combination.

You got the low dangling fruit. :)

luv
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
You got the low dangling fruit. :)

We can market it as Dingleberry Tomato Soup: Rich in Vitamins & Minerals.

Skip Towne
03-25-2009, 09:56 PM
There used to be a resturaunt here in Wichita called Tanya's soup kitchen. She had THE best tomato curry and rice soup. TO die for!!! sadly she lost her lease in the building and has not reopened. A shame because daily the waiting list to get seated was always 30+ minutes

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!

BigRock
03-25-2009, 10:38 PM

+

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3061/cheezitorig.gif

Count Alex's Losses
03-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Man this thread is fucking savory.

luv
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
+

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3061/cheezitorig.gif
Or...

http://www.cheez-it.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/fileBlob.pl?md5=ee68e68226cd566f2d57a15a2c8553c9

Count Alex's Losses
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Man this thread is FUCKING savory!

joesomebody
03-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Cambell's Tomato (I like water over milk, but milk is good too) and grilled cheese. Wish I could tell you how to make it better, but if it became better the earth would spin off it's axis.

The sandwich you dip can change, pretty much any sandwich and tomato soup works, but you really can't improve on the soup. Sometimes I do add a little black pepper, but it's not really making all that much of a difference when you are that close to perfection.

CoMoChief
03-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Campbell's Tomato Soup, add some water (I like mine a little more watered down)

And a shit ton of grilled cheese sandwiches to dip them in. Thats all I need folks.

Miles
03-26-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm somewhat surprised but the love for old school Campbell's tomato soup in this thread. Some of their variants are solid enough but the basic one leans close to fairly shitty.

Pioli Zombie
03-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Just before I serve tomato soup to my guests I strangle a duck and throw him in the pot.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
03-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Great. You guys have me craving tomato soup. However, a grilled cheese sandwich has 670 calories.

Katipan
03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Great. You guys have me craving tomato soup. However, a grilled cheese sandwich has 670 calories.

So just eat one.

luv
03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
So just eat one.

I could make that my cheat day. That plus the soup (which I have to add parmesan to) would be almost 900 calories for one meal. I usually eat 1200 calories per day on a normal day. I have to stick to that, because, if I don't, I'll gain. It sounds soooo good, though. Definitely on my cheat day. :)

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Add beans for protein, add veggies (celery, carrots, spinach, etc.) and get rid of the cheese.

Katipan
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I could make that my cheat day. That plus the soup (which I have to add parmesan to) would be almost 900 calories for one meal. I usually eat 1200 calories per day on a normal day. I have to stick to that, because, if I don't, I'll gain. It sounds soooo good, though. Definitely on my cheat day. :)

I see your turtle always moving so you're obviously doing right, but I hate your concept of cheat days if it means you cant even have a damn grilled cheese sammich on normal days.

Low fat cheese and wheat bread would really push it that high?

I had a pita last night from this cheapy chain called Pita Pit. They love to push the healthy stuff, and on their website you can build your dream pita and it calculates the calories. I get a meditteranean chicken, romaine lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, feta cheese and their spicy vinagrette. On a fluke I decided to enter in my pita to see how much it would cost my diet, and it is one of the most fattening pitas they have. (the feta cheese and vinagrette) Only way I could have made it worse is if I dumped a vat of gravy all over it. Something close to 1000 calories.

So it's all I ate yesterday. That and some hot chocolate. Watching calories sucks donkey balls. Had I remained ignorant, I probably would have munched all night long.

sedated
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I just got back into tomato soup, grilled cheese a couple weeks ago.

I grew up with good ole Campbells (sp?), so that's my preference, doesn't need anything more than water and milk. Its probably the only food I don't doctor with extra spices.

And I started using 2% cheese to cut out some of the fat. Not much, but some.

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I see your turtle always moving so you're obviously doing right, but I hate your concept of cheat days if it means you cant even have a damn grilled cheese sammich on normal days.

Low fat cheese and wheat bread would really push it that high?

I had a pita last night from this cheapy chain called Pita Pit. They love to push the healthy stuff, and on their website you can build your dream pita and it calculates the calories. I get a meditteranean chicken, romaine lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, feta cheese and their spicy vinagrette. On a fluke I decided to enter in my pita to see how much it would cost my diet, and it is one of the most fattening pitas they have. (the feta cheese and vinagrette) Only way I could have made it worse is if I dumped a vat of gravy all over it. Something close to 1000 calories.

So it's all I ate yesterday. That and some hot chocolate. Watching calories sucks donkey balls. Had I remained ignorant, I probably would have munched all night long.

Pita pit is superb "drunk food". The one near the bars I frequent is open until 4am. :D

Try the chicken souvlaki or if you want to go veggie the falafel pita isn't bad.

Katipan
03-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Try the chicken souvlaki ...

Thats the one I get!!

You're so awesome.

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
The chicken souvlaki I get on a wheat pita with feta, lettuce, tomato, pickle, olive, onion, cucumber and banana/jalapeno peppers with tzatziki sauce is only 545 calories, has 31g of protein. Higher in fat that I'd like and WAY overload on sodium - but compared to other "takeout" food it's not terrible.

The falafel is about the same except half the protein, less than half the fat and less sodium.

Katipan
03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
The chicken souvlaki I get on a wheat pita with feta, lettuce, tomato, pickle, olive, onion, cucumber and banana/jalapeno peppers with tzatziki sauce is only 545 calories, has 31g of protein. Higher in fat that I'd like and WAY overload on sodium - but compared to other "takeout" food it's not terrible.

The falafel is about the same except half the protein, less than half the fat and less sodium.

I don't know what I did last night, but now my pita is coming up 690.

Fuck. I could have ate 2.

My vinagrette crushes your tzatiki with it's fat. 1759 in sodium... You will pry my vinagrette out of my cold dead hands.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 10:05 AM
This is SOO fattening, but honestly the best tomato soup I've had is campbells made with half and half, pepper it a little...and so creamy and delicious.

phisherman
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
buffalo chicken from the pita pit..

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Katipan
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM

haahahahahaahah

I wish I had my receipt! That's what the boyfriend ordered!
With tons of ranch and extra buffalo sauce. Got a little spicy at the end.

Pioli Zombie
03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Chedder cheese sauce over English muffins. The cheese gets in the crannies. Then you put salt and pepper all over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't know what I did last night, but now my pita is coming up 690.

****. I could have ate 2.

My vinagrette crushes your tzatiki with it's fat. 1759 in sodium... You will pry my vinagrette out of my cold dead hands.

Yeah I was wondering how you got to 900-1000. The vinaigrette seems to be your downfall. I love tzatzkiki though.. Pita Pit is near the bars but where I live is a little place called Little Greek where I down chicken gyros on some weekend mornings and they are wonderfully overzealous in the amount of tzatziki in the gyro. :)

phisherman
03-26-2009, 10:11 AM
haahahahahaahah

I wish I had my receipt! That's what the boyfriend ordered!
With tons of ranch and extra buffalo sauce. Got a little spicy at the end.

i usually just go for some feta, the buffalo sauce goes well with it. sounded funky the first time i got it on a whim, but damn, was it tasty!

Jilly
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Where is there a pita pit in this area?

Katipan
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
i usually just go for some feta, the buffalo sauce goes well with it. sounded funky the first time i got it on a whim, but damn, was it tasty!

The last time we went (We go as often as I can find coupons on the backs of my Fareway receipts :p) he got the Philly Cheesesteak. Which was really good but so boring. You can't add much to a Philly without fucking it up. The Buffalo Chicken was so much better.

I'm itching to try their breakfast pitas, but pita just isn't something I usually crave at 7 in the morning. Unless I haven't been to bed yet.

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM

I've always wanted to order that but I wasn't confident they'd get the flavor right or have it spicy enough. Buffalo chicken pita with extra sauce and tons of banana peppers sounds outstanding.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
man I'm starving

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
The last time we went (We go as often as I can find coupons on the backs of my Fareway receipts :p) he got the Philly Cheesesteak. Which was really good but so boring. You can't add much to a Philly without ****ing it up. The Buffalo Chicken was so much better.

I'm itching to try their breakfast pitas, but pita just isn't something I usually crave at 7 in the morning. Unless I haven't been to bed yet.

You can get the breakfast pita at any time. A friend of mine always gets breakfast pitas when we go after the bars/kickball. She gets whichever one has all the breakfast meats - it's huge.

Katipan
03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I've always wanted to order that but I wasn't confident they'd get the flavor right or have it spicy enough. Buffalo chicken pita with extra sauce and tons of banana peppers sounds outstanding.

Extra sauce and it was spicy enough to make my face warm, but not spicy enough to make me need to drink anything.

Course, I like really really spicy food.

And me too Jilly. Me ****ing too.

phisherman
03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Where is there a pita pit in this area?

there is one in lee's summit, right off of 470 and douglas road. it's in the same little strip mall building as la fuente, and it's right across douglas from the Eastglen 16 movie theater.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
there is one in lee's summit, right off of 470 and douglas road. it's in the same little strip mall building as la fuente, and it's right across douglas from the Eastglen 16 movie theater.

I'm going there. Today. But now I'm stuck between the buffalo chicken or the greek one....I'll get both...how bad can it be?!

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Extra sauce and it was spicy enough to make my face warm, but not spicy enough to make me need to drink anything.

Course, I like really really spicy food.

And me too Jilly. Me ****ing too.

I like things very spicy. Speaking of spicy, it's almost time for lunch which today means thai hot red curry at the small restaurant around the corner. :)

phisherman
03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
you can't go wrong. their gyros are very tasty too.

the wife and i have tried pretty much all of them; their falafel and babaghanoush are also very good.

Katipan
I'm going there. Today. But now I'm stuck between the buffalo chicken or the greek one....I'll get both...how bad can it be?!

Not bad at all! Go look at their little pita builder online. :) You won't finish them both so save one for dinner.

And think of me and phisherman.

Think of DaKCMan too just because he'd feel left out.

Katipan
I like things very spicy. Speaking of spicy, it's almost time for lunch which today means thai hot red curry at the small restaurant around the corner. :)

I haven't had good thai food since coming to Iowa. :(

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Think of DaKCMan too

No reminder is needed..

Jilly
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
No reminder is needed..

ROFL

Von Dumbass
03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
2 Jugs of v8 (I use V8 spicy)
1 head of cabbage
1 can of corn
1 can of green beans
3-5 Stalks of celery
3-5 big carrots
2 small cans of diced tomatoes
2 chicken bouillon cubes
As much pepper as you want
And whatever other vegetables you want to put in it.

Put all of it in a big ole pot (you should probably add enough water to fill the pot the rest of the way up) and bring it to a boil. Then let it simmer a few hours. Makes enough to last a week.

luv
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
man I'm starving

Me too. Trying to think about what I have to eat at home. I think I'm cooking a small peppercorn steak for dinner tonight. Probably with rice as a side. For lunch though, I don't know.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Not bad at all! Go look at their little pita builder online. :) You won't finish them both so save one for dinner.

And think of me and phisherman.

Think of DaKCMan too just because he'd feel left out.

As if I don't anyway.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Me too. Trying to think about what I have to eat at home. I think I'm cooking a small peppercorn steak for dinner tonight. Probably with rice as a side. For lunch though, I don't know.

We're having steak..beer...Mizzou. Good night coming up.

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
2 Jugs of v8 (I use V8 spicy)
1 head of cabbage
1 can of corn
1 can of green beans
3-5 Stalks of celery
3-5 big carrots
2 small cans of diced tomatoes
2 chicken bouillon cubes
As much pepper as you want
And whatever other vegetables you want to put in it.

Put all of it in a big ole pot (you should probably add enough water to fill the pot the rest of the way up) and bring it to a boil. Then let it simmer a few hours. Makes enough to last a week.

Sounds like a pot full of sodium.

Jilly
03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a pot full of sodium.

you're a pot full of sodium

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
you're a pot full of sodium

Are you saying I'm salty? ;)

luv
03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
We're having steak..beer...Mizzou. Good night coming up.

Made my peppercorn steak for lunch. Now I have to decide on a light dinner.

Count Alex's Losses
03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Tonight I used half the cayenne, threw in a slice of pepper jack instead of parmesan and vermont, and added something new: Worcestershire! Delicious!