PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft A Superior NFL Draft Idea

Rain Man
03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Imagine this. In the world of the future, there is no NFL draft day in late April. Instead, after the Combine (and any pro days, which must be completed by something like March 4th), the draft takes place as follows:

One first round pick per day (32 days)

Two second-round picks per day (16 days)

Three third-round picks per day (11 days)

Four fourth-round picks per day (8 or 9 days, depending on compensatory picks)

Five fifth-round picks per day (7 days)

Six sixth-round picks per day (6 or 7 days)

Seven seventh-round picks per day (5 or 6 days)

That would let the draft last about three months, and would (in my opinion) keep interest at a high level and probably make for interesting trades and stuff. The NFL Network could spend more time looking at the picks and educating fans instead of talking about Brett Favre, and overall a good time would be had by all.

I'll note that there might be a few kinks to work out, such as how you ensure that each team has the same amount of time for picks, but overall I think this system would be really nice.

What do you think?

tonyetony
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Pure genius. I think it's a go. Think of all the *******OFFICIAL******** threads.:)

Kyle DeLexus
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I make an event out of the draft. A few friends get together and watch with just about as much interest as the Superbowl. Couldn't do that over 3 months :)

beavis
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
With the attention span most people have these days, they'd lose interest by day two.

tonyetony
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I make an event out of the draft. A few friends get together and watch with just about as much interest as the Superbowl. Couldn't do that over 3 months :)

Light weight.:D

tonyetony
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Do I get a 300 posts in 8 years award?

Rain Man
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Do I get a 300 posts in 8 years award?

Not for that, but I look forward to celebrating your 1,000th post in 2027.

KcMizzou
03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I make an event out of the draft. A few friends get together and watch with just about as much interest as the Superbowl. Couldn't do that over 3 months :)But it'd be sweet if you could.

cdcox
03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Carl Peterson wants to know if you are allowed to negotiate contracts with each prospect while you are on the clock?

Kyle DeLexus
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
But it'd be sweet if you could.

Yeah I might need to change my vote, party whenever a pick is announced

yeti
03-25-2009, 11:01 PM
No, it would be terribly anti-climactic and lack focus. The most important things in life require long preparation time coupled with a short time of action.

KCrockaholic
03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the system the way it is now...Nothing against yours but I like the 2 day thing.

tboss27
03-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Teams picking at the top of the 1st round would be at a real disadvantage. Teams don't know for sure who all they will land in FA, havent' had as much time to scout/interview right after the combine. Sounds kinda interesting from a fan perspective, but it woudn't be a fair way to run the draft.

Rain Man
03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
I think y'all are underestimating the coolness of this. Imagine coming home seven times during the offseason to watch a one-hour segment on NFL Network about your possible draft pick, culminating in that pick being announced and then followed by a one-hour segment talking about that player and how he would fit with the Chiefs.

kysirsoze
03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Cool idea, but I agree with the guys who like to make a day of it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-26-2009, 01:03 AM
I think y'all are underestimating the coolness of this. Imagine coming home seven times during the offseason to watch a one-hour segment on NFL Network about your possible draft pick, culminating in that pick being announced and then followed by a one-hour segment talking about that player and how he would fit with the Chiefs.

I'm thinking it's the jump to conclusions mat of draft ideas.

Hog Farmer
03-26-2009, 05:45 AM
It would be cool for the fans offseason , but it would keep the NFL teams tied down for too long.

Rain Man
03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I will not let this idea die. I am going to pursue to doggedly until I reign victorious. It has become my cause celebre, kind of like that guy with the Crazy Horse statue in South Dakota.

Hydrae
03-26-2009, 09:05 AM

I think you are giving the talking heads too much credit. You really think they could talk about a 4th round draft pick for an hour without devolving into talking about Favre or one of the Mannings?

bdeg
03-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Great idea. If this happened I might have to buy NFL N.

I love it from a fan's perspective, but I don't think the teams would go for it.

kcbubb
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I would like it for the first round only. I think it would make the possibility of trading much more realistic. Teams would also have more leverage with negotiating contracts prior to picking which would bring salaries down for picks, which would probably be a good thing for those 1st round rookies. Plus basically for one day, one team would get all the coverage, which I think would be a good thing. Finish rounds 2-7 in the traditional format. Maybe 2-4 on one day and 5-7 the next. So the draft would be a 34 day process.

Rain Man
03-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I would like it for the first round only. I think it would make the possibility of trading much more realistic. Teams would also have more leverage with negotiating contracts prior to picking which would bring salaries down for picks, which would probably be a good thing for those 1st round rookies. Plus basically for one day, one team would get all the coverage, which I think would be a good thing. Finish rounds 2-7 in the traditional format. Maybe 2-4 on one day and 5-7 the next. So the draft would be a 34 day process.

Hmm, I like that. It could be a good compromise and would eliminate some of the practical issues of the timing of picks.

Pestilence
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
So this would ultimately eliminate pro days then......correct?

kcbubb
03-26-2009, 09:19 AM
make it happen!

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
#1 Combine.

#2 All Pro days must be completed within one month of Combine closing.

#3 Draft begins 1ST weekend of April.

#4 Two days, and get it the fuck over with.

Buck
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Sorry Rainman, thats a not a very smart system.

A Lot can change over the course of a month.

Its not fair that one team has to decide who they want their first round pick to be in early March, while other teams get until April to decide.

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Great idea. If this happened I might have to buy NFL N.

I love it from a fan's perspective, but I don't think the teams would go for it.

Dude you need to buy NFLN anyway, it kicks the hell out of any football stuff ESPN does.

Rain Man
03-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry Rainman, thats a not a very smart system.

A Lot can change over the course of a month.

Its not fair that one team has to decide who they want their first round pick to be in early March, while other teams get until April to decide.

Meh. Some teams play in cold weather. Some teams have prissy fans. Some teams have Al Da vis. Life's not fair, and this is bigger than football. This is media. This is TV ratings. This is having a guarantee of 1/32nd of all football fans tuning in during the offseason on several occasions. Thi$ i$ about money.

bdeg
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Perception changes more than scouts' notes. What are you going to learn about any of these guys from here on out?

bdeg
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Dude you need to buy NFLN anyway, it kicks the hell out of any football stuff ESPN does.

I know. We have it at home when I go visit, but I don't really have the money to pay for it on my own yet. I'm still a student, working part-time. I have my dad DVR tons of shit so there's plenty to watch when I go home, though:D

Duck Dog
03-26-2009, 11:07 AM
With the attention span most people have these days, they'd lose interest by day two.

Yep.

Skip Towne
03-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Bad idea. We'd completely lose track of Bret Favre.

Buck
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Meh. Some teams play in cold weather. Some teams have prissy fans. Some teams have Al Da vis. Life's not fair, and this is bigger than football. This is media. This is TV ratings. This is having a guarantee of 1/32nd of all football fans tuning in during the offseason on several occasions. Thi$ i$ about money.

If the Draft Spanned 2 months I would watch the first 10 days or so, maybe.

Its true what you say about life not being fair, but still, when it comes to the draft, all teams should have equal evaluating time.

bdeg
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
When teams aren't picking at the same spot, what's it matter? Maybe you're a tiny bit disadvantaged, but you also get to take your pick whereas someone with one extra day can't have your top choice. Nothing changes in this time period, I'm sure scouts have already scouted the top players and are working on lesser prospects.

tooge
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
No, it would be terribly anti-climactic and lack focus. The most important things in life require long preparation time coupled with a short time of action.

like sex these days

acesn8s
03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
1st round picks would be in OTA before the draft was over.

CrazyPhuD
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Screw this slow drafting, we need speed drafting.

1 minutes per pick in the 1st round
30 seconds per pick in the 2nd round
15 seconds per pick each round after

No computer submissions of picks. All picks must be hand delivered to the commissioner. Once your time is up you are allowed to try to submit your pick to the commissioner. However you must go through the arena, where there is one representative from each team who can attempt to delay you. All teams get to send only one representative into the arena to deliver a pick and all teams use the same arena...hence forth known as the gauntlet.

He who gets his pick to the commissioner first gets his selection. However since only one representative with a pick is allowed per team in the arena at any time, if the player you want gets picked you must leave the arena to get a new pick.

acesn8s
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Every team should be given 2 minutes. Enough time to write a name on a sheet of paper and walk it to the commish. Draft done in 8 hrs

Kyle DeLexus
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Screw this slow drafting, we need speed drafting.

1 minutes per pick in the 1st round
30 seconds per pick in the 2nd round
15 seconds per pick each round after

No computer submissions of picks. All picks must be hand delivered to the commissioner. Once your time is up you are allowed to try to submit your pick to the commissioner. However you must go through the arena, where there is one representative from each team who can attempt to delay you. All teams get to send only one representative into the arena to deliver a pick and all teams use the same arena...hence forth known as the gauntlet.

He who gets his pick to the commissioner first gets his selection. However since only one representative with a pick is allowed per team in the arena at any time, if the player you want gets picked you must leave the arena to get a new pick.

Another twist, your teams first pick from the previous year must be your runner!