PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli says Gonzalez did not request a trade

bishop_74
03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Link (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1106883.html)

Pioli says Gonzalez did not request a trade
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

DANA POINT, Calif. | General manager Scott Pioli said Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez did not request a trade during recent conversations.

“He has not indicated to me that he wants to be traded,” Pioli said. “I don’t want to get into any other specifics of the conversations because those are conversations that will stay between players and (coach Todd Haley) and players and myself. They were good conversations, positive conversations, healthy conversations.”

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said this week the Chiefs would not attempt to trade Gonzalez. Pioli said the Chiefs have made no effort to determine what they could get for Gonzalez.

“I’ve not made or fielded any call regarding Tony Gonzalez,” he said.

Pioli also indicated the Chiefs would not attempt to move Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, who recently asked to be traded or released.

“He’s a Chief,” Pioli said. “He’s under contract.”

It’s Gailey’s job — for now

Haley said offensive coordinator Chan Gailey probably would call the plays when the Chiefs begin practice but said he may take over that duty at some point. He also suggested running backs coach Maurice Carthon could get a shot.

Haley called the plays as the Arizona Cardinals’ offensive coordinator the last two seasons. Carthon coached for Arizona the last couple of seasons and once called the plays as coordinator for the Cleveland Browns.

“It’s no different than how I’m looking at everything else: What gives us the best chance to win?” Haley said. “There were years with (Bill) Parcells in Dallas where we might have been going into the third preseason game without knowing who was going to call the plays. So I don’t think this is abnormal or wrong or right. It’s about getting it right. If the right answer is Chan Gailey calling the plays, then that’s the way we’ll go — or if it’s Mo Carthon or if it’s me or if it’s going no huddle the whole time and letting our quarterback call every play and take the pressure off us.”

Minicamp looming

The Chiefs will take the practice field for the first time under Haley at a voluntary minicamp April 17-19.

“I’m excited to get started in this minicamp,” Haley said. “This pre-draft minicamp is coming fast for us. You’ve got to make the decision as a new head coach: Do you want to have this minicamp (and) when do you want to have it? To me, I put it earlier ahead of the draft so I can actually see who we’ve got, see what we’ve got, see how they act, see if they’re into football or not into football. It gives us at least a little heads-up before the draft so that could help us make some decisions, maybe.”

The Chiefs will incorporate at least some 3-4 into their defensive plans and will then get their first look at players who might or might not fit their defensive system. Haley said for now he sees a role for Glenn Dorsey, perhaps at nose tackle, and Tamba Hali at linebacker.

“Last year he wasn’t real productive but I think he’s got a lot of great versatility, especially where we are transitioning potentially to this 3-4,” Haley said of Dorsey. “I think there are some roles in there for him where he could have more of an attacking role.”

Haley indicated Hali would be used almost exclusively as a rusher on passing plays.

“He’s a guy that can make plays and I’m for guys that can make plays,” Haley said.
Posted on Wed, Mar. 25, 2009 10:15 PM

DeezNutz
03-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Interesting about Gailey...sounds good.

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Hali is fine in that role....ask him to do anything else and you're asking to get burnt.

SNR
03-26-2009, 12:24 AM
This sounds stupid, but what are an offensive coordinator's duties? If they don't call the plays... or even if a RB coach calls the plays, then what does the O Coordinator do?

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Draws up the gameplan during the week....watches film....does individual coaching....

Thinks up new plays while jogging...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02kfeRsgXRa73/610x.jpg

tboss27
03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Hali is fine in that role....ask him to do anything else and you're asking to get burnt.

He's pretty good at staying home on the boot-leg:shake:

SNR
03-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Draws up the gameplan during the week....watches film....does individual coaching....

Thinks up new plays while jogging...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02kfeRsgXRa73/610x.jpgI forgot Gailey was the guy with the terribly mismatched pants and shirt, and was wearing sandals with high socks.

DeezNutz
03-26-2009, 12:30 AM
This sounds stupid, but what are an offensive coordinator's duties? If they don't call the plays... or even if a RB coach calls the plays, then what does the O Coordinator do?

In this case, draw a paycheck b/c the staff was assembled later in the off-season and Gailey is a good soldier.

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
I forgot Gailey was the guy with the terribly mismatched pants and shirt, and was wearing sandals with high socks.

And I took that infamous picture.

Memememememememe.

It will live in infamy. And so will I. Me. And myself.

ME!

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 12:37 AM
“I’m excited to get started in this minicamp,” Haley said. “This pre-draft minicamp is coming fast for us. You’ve got to make the decision as a new head coach: Do you want to have this minicamp (and) when do you want to have it? To me, I put it earlier ahead of the draft so I can actually see who we’ve got, see what we’ve got, see how they act, see if they’re into football or not into football. It gives us at least a little heads-up before the draft so that could help us make some decisions, maybe.”

-Haley

I love this quote. Its good to know our coach doesnt have his head up his a** and knows what he wants to do with this team.

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
"Haley indicated Hali would be used almost exclusively as a rusher on passing plays."

Here you go Mecca and Bdeg ...heres your Everette Brown lmao

SBK
03-26-2009, 12:46 AM
"Haley indicated Hali would be used almost exclusively as a rusher on passing plays."

Here you go Mecca and Bdeg ...heres your Everette Brown lmao

A lot of people have said he'd be a good situational pass rusher--it's just a waste of a 1st round pick.

SNR
03-26-2009, 12:50 AM

Memememememememe.

ME!THAT'S who. Couldn't remember. Do you still have it? That thing was hilarious.

dj56dt58
03-26-2009, 02:41 AM
A lot of people have said he'd be a good situational pass rusher--it's just a waste of a 1st round pick.

explain to me what a situational pass rusher is? In what situations does he rush the passer? does he ask the opposing team if they are going to throw a pass, and if not he takes a tea break? And if they do throw a pass does it have to be a certain kind of pass for him to rush the quarterback?

Fruit Ninja
03-26-2009, 02:57 AM
explain to me what a situational pass rusher is? In what situations does he rush the passer? does he ask the opposing team if they are going to throw a pass, and if not he takes a tea break? And if they do throw a pass does it have to be a certain kind of pass for him to rush the quarterback?

Remember Carlos Hall? lol There ya go. WHile he came in with 2 broken knee's, he played on 2nd and 3rd and longs.

Pioli Zombie
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Hali reminds me of Willie McGinest except for the speed,the strength,the intelligence,and the determination. But everything else is there.
Posted via Mobile Device

InChiefsHell
03-26-2009, 06:55 AM
I guess at this point, Hali = First round bust. I hope he can be effective as a pass rushing LB, cuz he hasn't been getting it done as a pass rushing DE...

dirk digler
03-26-2009, 07:12 AM
I am surprised they are thinking about putting Hali at LB. When someone suggested it here it was universally laughed at including by me so I guess we all should take a wait and see approach to this team.

the Talking Can
03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
so I can actually see who we’ve got, see what we’ve got, see how they act, see if they’re into football or not into football

the theme of this year...

SenselessChiefsFan
03-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I am surprised they are thinking about putting Hali at LB. When someone suggested it here it was universally laughed at including by me so I guess we all should take a wait and see approach to this team.

All of us have opinions, none of us 'know' what will happen. Scott Pioli doesn't 'know' what will happen.

Even the guys who have all the talent in the world, don't always put it together. And, sometimes, guys just figure out a way to come through even though, on paper, they don't measure up.

I think the Chiefs coaching staff is short changing Hali a little. But, if they are running a hybrid, then I imagine Hali will log some time at DE as well.

Hali does a good job in zone coverage, and he is a very active player. I think he can transition to be a good OLB full time, not just a rusher in passing situations.

The reality is that Haley and Pioli really don't know what they have on this team. Sure, they have seen the game tapes... but they haven't seen these guys in practice. They haven't coached these guys. They haven't seen the backups.

And, some of what they are going to ask the players to do, they have never been asked to do before, or as much.

The one thing that I really like about Haley, is that much like Gailey, he coaches to fit his players. He doesn't ask his players to be something they aren't.

Anyways, the point is that no one knows. That is why the draft is a crap shoot for all teams, even the good ones. That is why big named free agents are constantly busts.

Time will tell.... it always does.

That said, this board is about opinions. I take a ton of heat for mine. Who cares? Might as well jump in there with an opinion. Otherwise, why are we here?

SenselessChiefsFan
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
the theme of this year...

I think they will be pleased overall. Herm was big on that same quality in his players. That is one of the things that I liked about the Chiefs approach under Herm. In fact, I saw a lot of similarities between what Herm wanted to do and what the Pats were doing. The problem is that Herm just wasn't any good at it....:D

The one guy that I think will be a problem is LJ.

Buehler445
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I think they will be pleased overall. Herm was big on that same quality in his players. That is one of the things that I liked about the Chiefs approach under Herm. In fact, I saw a lot of similarities between what Herm wanted to do and what the Pats were doing. The problem is that Herm just wasn't any good at it....:D

The one guy that I think will be a problem is LJ.

Herm always said he wanted tough guys, but he put together one of the softest defenses, and offensive lines, the places you need to be tough, EVER.

Herm was spewing bullshit the entire time he was here.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 08:30 AM

That was me. And I still may be worth laughing at. :)

alpha_omega
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM
The most interesting part of this article is that Pioli actually said something.

Pioli Zombie
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
What will tomorrows Tony being traded thread be about?
Posted via Mobile Device

talastan
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the quote about possibly going to the no huddle would be freaking awesome. I know that they'll do what they need to to win some games. I've always been a big fan of the no-huddle. Wear down the other teams defense, and your offense sets the pace of the game. What would need to happen personal wise for this to happen? Is Cassel the type to be able to run this? Just curious....

crazycoffey
03-26-2009, 10:29 AM

I don't remember who suggested it first, I know I was one that said something about it (I even further added how I made Hali a LB in Madden and it was working out, LOL), but I thought you were one of the ones along with several meccamists saying it was a stupid idea and wasn't worth talking about, not in so many words.

I could be wrong, you always have a good sense about your opinions, even when you disagree with someone, that's way you have class parker....

Micjones
03-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I really would rather Haley defer to Gailey on playcalling so he can "coach the whole football team" as he stated in his introductory presser. I really don't want him looking at photographs and making offensive adjustments while the defense is on the field. If he does it'll be okay as long as Gailey's the one who draws up the playbook and does the scheming during the week.

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 10:56 AM

I'll say it right now:

Hali as a pass-rusher?
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

But hey, that free's up Brown so the Chiefs can waste yet ANOTHER round 1 pick on a defensive turd for polishing in Aaron Curry! Yay! :rolleyes:

crazycoffey
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I'll say it right now:

Hali as a pass-rusher?
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

But hey, that free's up Brown so the Chiefs can waste yet ANOTHER round 1 pick on a defensive turd for polishing in Aaron Curry! Yay! :rolleyes:

you've said that before, actually.... :D

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Hali CAN be a situational pass rusher in a 3-4. In fact, that might be his only hope of ever contributing.

Or we could just cut him now.

ChiefRon
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Hali CAN be a situational pass rusher in a 3-4. In fact, that might be his only hope of ever contributing.

Or we could just cut him now.

Hali has value to other teams, we wouldn't cut him.

DaWolf
03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
I really would rather Haley defer to Gailey on playcalling so he can "coach the whole football team" as he stated in his introductory presser. I really don't want him looking at photographs and making offensive adjustments while the defense is on the field. If he does it'll be okay as long as Gailey's the one who draws up the playbook and does the scheming during the week.

I agree. But my hope is that the stuff we saw last year, playing well in the first half and then disappearing in the second half, will happen less this year. I dunno if that was Gailey, Herm, or just the offense sputtering, but we need to stay aggressive and we need to have less three and outs and convert better on third downs. If Haley needs to step in and make sure we stay aggressive, or if he needs to step in and make some adjustments because our O is sputtering, I have no issues with that, because that's what he is apparently very good at...

vailpass
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Talk radio here in Phoenix yesterday was all about figuring out what the Cardinals could do to get TG. People were saying Leinhart for TG straight up and other wacky scenarios.
The hosts were saying that a lineup of Fitzgerald, Breston and TG would be unstoppable.

Coogs
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not an Insider member, so I can not read the stuff over at ESPN.com, but there is a "RUMOR" column that has Gonzo and Green Bay in the same sentence.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:55 PM
The hosts were saying that a lineup of Fitzgerald, Breston and TG would be unstoppable.

It probably would be. Right now, the way to stop Arizona is to put the heat on Warner and make him get rid of the ball, which limits the opportunities to go downfield.

Having an outlet like Gonzales would offset that greatly.

vailpass
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
It probably would be. Right now, the way to stop Arizona is to put the heat on Warner and make him get rid of the ball, which limits the opportunities to go downfield.

Having an outlet like Gonzales would offset that greatly.

Not that I think it would happen but that would be one hell of an offense. A team like that would showcase TG's strengths while letting him be the #3 option instead of #1. I'm thinking he would dig it.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Not that I think it would happen but that would be one hell of an offense. A team like that would showcase TG's strengths while letting him be the #3 option instead of #1. I'm thinking he would dig it.

You'd think he would. Because him with Warner and those WR's is downright scary to think about.

vailpass
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
You'd think he would. Because him with Warner and those WR's is downright scary to think about.

Opposing Ds would have to cover him with a LB. He'd be eating scooby snacks all over the field. If they closed on him it's "Warner to Fitzgerald for the TD".
I'd pay to see it.

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Gonzales for Lienart? Does Arizona think we're fucking retarded?

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Gonzales for Lienart? Does Arizona think we're ****ing retarded?

How about Gonzales for Boldin?

JASONSAUTO
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM

ooohhhh, damn the cards would have to lose their minds to pull the trigger on that one

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM

If Haley can stand working with him, sure.

InChiefsHell
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
If Haley can stand working with him, sure.

I believe this would be more of the issue than anything else.

vailpass
03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Gonzales for Lienart? Does Arizona think we're fucking retarded?

You should be tuned into this, you live in Pinetop right?

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
You should be tuned into this, you live in Pinetop right?

Yes FailAss, for the 100th fucking time; I live in Pinetop. Arizona.

Now bugger off!

SenselessChiefsFan
03-26-2009, 02:28 PM

I thought I was the only one.

R&GHomer
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Memememememememe.

ME!

He looks kind of pissed off. Did you offer to wash his balls or something...ROFL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2009, 03:27 PM
He looks kind of pissed off. Did you offer to wash his balls or something...ROFL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was talking about THIS picture:

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/97264/1.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Who's that taking the picture of his beer belly with their phone?

Count Alex's Losses
03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
That's a voice recorder. And that's Pat Clifton.

R&GHomer
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I was talking about THIS picture:

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/97264/1.jpg

:eek: Hadn't seen that. Does this guy live with his mom too? ROFL who dresses like that? Black socks would've been perfect.

Sorry

-King-
03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
That's a voice recorder. And that's Pat Clifton.

Is this his wife? <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ym7IGrQolCo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ym7IGrQolCo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>