3. Matthew Stafford Jr. QB Georgia
4. Jason Smith Sr. OT Baylor
5. Mark Sanchez Jr. QB USC
6. B.J. Raji Sr. DT Boston College
7. Brian Orakpo Sr. DE Texas
8. Aaron Maybin So. DE Penn St.
9. Eugene Monroe Sr. OT Virginia
10. Jeremy Maclin So. WR Missouri
11. Brandon Pettigrew Sr. TE Oklahoma St.
12. Percy Harvin Jr. WR Florida
13. Knowshown Moreno So. RB Georgia
14. Andre Smith Jr. OT Alabama
15. Tyson Jackson Sr. DE LSU
16. Malcolm Jenkins Sr. CB Ohio State
17. Robert Ayers Sr. DE Tennessee
18. Chris "Beanie" Wells Sr. RB Ohio St.
19. Clay Matthews Sr. LB USC
20. Peria Jerry Sr. DT Mississippi
21. Brian Cushing Sr. LB USC
22. Donald Brown Jr. RB Connecticut
23. Hakeem Nicks Jr. WR North Carolina
24. Everette Brown Jr. DE Florida St.
25. Rey Maualuga Sr. LB USC

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
IMO, Jackson and Ayers in the top 17 is a joke.

keg in kc
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
It's always interesting watching the mocks solidify in april.

Pestilence
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Maybin at #8 is a joke.

Coogs
03-26-2009, 11:41 AM
The Everett Brown bandwagon may need a new set of tires!

ChiefRon
03-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Crabtree ahead of Stafford? ROFL

DaKCMan AP
03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Maybin at #8 is a joke.

That too.

bdeg
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
If I ever sign up for the NFL draft I'm going to hire Robert Ayers' agent. Between this and some other rankings

Mr. Flopnuts
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Maybin at #8 is a joke.

I thought I was reaching a bit at #18 for the Bears in the mock. 8 is ridiculous.

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 12:09 PM
1. Aaron Curry Sr. LB Wake Forest
2. Michael Crabtree So. WR Texas Tech
3. Matthew Stafford Jr. QB Georgia
4. Jason Smith Sr. OT Baylor
5. Mark Sanchez Jr. QB USC
6. B.J. Raji Sr. DT Boston College
7. Brian Orakpo Sr. DE Texas
8. Aaron Maybin So. DE Penn St.
9. Eugene Monroe Sr. OT Virginia
10. Jeremy Maclin So. WR Missouri
11. Brandon Pettigrew Sr. TE Oklahoma St.
12. Percy Harvin Jr. WR Florida
13. Knowshown Moreno So. RB Georgia
14. Andre Smith Jr. OT Alabama
15. Tyson Jackson Sr. DE LSU
16. Malcolm Jenkins Sr. CB Ohio State
17. Robert Ayers Sr. DE Tennessee
18. Chris "Beanie" Wells Sr. RB Ohio St.
19. Clay Matthews Sr. LB USC
20. Peria Jerry Sr. DT Mississippi
21. Brian Cushing Sr. LB USC
22. Donald Brown Jr. RB Connecticut
23. Hakeem Nicks Jr. WR North Carolina
24. Everette Brown Jr. DE Florida St.
25. Rey Maualuga Sr. LB USC

Something is going on here...Mayock and Kiper leave Brown out of the top 20. Maybe they know something we dont know. Like ive said all along, Curry is the best player in this draft. But I dont think Brown should be left out of the top 15 atleast.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Something is going on here...Mayock and Kiper leave Brown out of the top 20. Maybe they know something we dont know. Like ive said all along, Curry is the best player in this draft. But I dont think Brown should be left out of the top 15 atleast.

Curry has the least downside. That doesn't make him the best player.

KCrockaholic
The Everett Brown bandwagon may need a new set of tires!

ROFL no doubt.

KCrockaholic
Curry has the least downside. That doesn't make him the best player.

So then who is the best player?

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:22 PM
So then who is the best player?

Either Stafford or Jason Smith.

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Either Stafford or Jason Smith.

Ok, but what makes those guys better than Curry? Stafford? Possibly because of positional value. But Im not sure about Jason Smith.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok, but what makes those guys better than Curry? Stafford? Possibly because of positional value. But Im not sure about Jason Smith.

Jason Smith plays a more important position than Curry and he's every bit as "safe".

melbar
03-26-2009, 12:37 PM
I've said it before and here again, why is safe a bad word? Just means a guy has already shown a skillset to be successfull. Being more ready and having a higher floor isnt a bad thing.

keg in kc
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Something is going on here...Mayock and Kiper leave Brown out of the top 20. Maybe they know something we dont know. Like ive said all along, Curry is the best player in this draft. But I dont think Brown should be left out of the top 15 atleast.Too early to read too much. Although reports on Brown's pro day have been fairly glowing as far as I can tell, but he's fallen down their charts. Which doesn't seem logical. That's not the only odd thing on those lists by a longshot, though. Crabtree missed the combine and pro day due to injury yet's still ranked #2? Maybin in the top 10? Et cetera.

Odds are their rankings will be different a few days before the draft, anyway.

Molitoth
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Why has Crabtree's stock risen so much lately???

Stupid, imo.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I've said it before and here again, why is safe a bad word? Just means a guy has already shown a skillset to be successfull. Being more ready and having a higher floor isnt a bad thing.

It depends on where you're picking.

At #3 overall, you need to get an impact player. "Safe" is great if it's used in CONJUNCTION with "impact".

In Curry's case, it's used IN LIEU OF "impact" and that's not good.

BigChiefFan
03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
As long as whoever we draft, upgrades their respected position, I'll be pleased. The draft can't get here soon enough. This is how I see the top 3 selections going on draft day...Lions select LT, Jason Smith, Rams Select LT, Eugene Monroe, Chiefs select DT, B.J. Raji.

keg in kc
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Raji wouldn't be a horrible pick, but goddamn it would be boring.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Curry would be too. And Jason Smith. And Monroe.

Unless we take Stafford or trade down, it's setup to be nothing but boring.

Coogs
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM

There is always Crabtree!

BigChiefFan
03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Boring wins games, some times.:D

I just can't see us ignoring the most important piece of a 3-4. He could be dominant in a 4-3, as well. Line him up next to Dorsey and we may start to get improved line play. I really don't find the pick all that boring, he can actually get after the QB as a tackle-they're aren't alot of those type players in the league.
If we can create pressure from the middle that improves every facet of our defense. I already know he can hold-contain and improve or porous run-stoping defense. The position also merits the money we would investing in the 3rd overall pick. I just really like what I see out of his play and I think with him and Dorsey together we would have a solid foundation to build from. Just my 2 cents.

keg in kc
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I think Raji's the beneficiary of being the only good DT in a really bad class. I'm real wary of him.

KCrockaholic
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

I still dont get why we would draft Stafford? we have our Quarterback.

L.A. Chieffan
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
why is The Hair so sprung on Crabtree? the guy wants to make crabtree babies

BigChiefFan
03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I think Raji's the beneficiary of being the only good DT in a really bad class. I'm real wary of him.I think the entire draft class is weak(except the o-line), but even saying that, I believe Raji's skillset brings something to improve our D-line.

RustShack
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Why has Crabtree's stock risen so much lately???

Stupid, imo.

He was ranked #1 for a while... I think since hes not #1 anymore that means his stock has fallen..

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I still dont get why we would draft Stafford? we have our Quarterback.

Didn't say it would be a GOOD move.

But it would be anything BUT boring. It would be the epitome of controversial.

Mr. Krab
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
It's too high for Pettigrew.

Blick
03-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Maybin's 40 time was 4.59 at his pro day. That's why he's at 8.

htismaqe
03-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Maybin's 40 time was 4.59 at his pro day. That's why he's at 8.

I hate that shit. Like a DE's 40 time matters AT ALL. How many times is he actually going to run 40 yards on a single play? Maybe a half dozen times in his ENTIRE CAREER?

keg in kc
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
10-yard splits (particularly the first) or the cone drill might be worth something, but, yeah, I've never quite gotten what a 40 would tell you about most players on the field, either.

Chiefnj2
03-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Next week is when the real fun starts. Sanchez will have a good pro day workout and then for the 2 weeks following all the charts will have Sanchez in front of, or tied with, Stafford. The media loves creating a QB controversy for the draft.

htismaqe
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Next week is when the real fun starts. Sanchez will have a good pro day workout and then for the 2 weeks following all the charts will have Sanchez in front of, or tied with, Stafford. The media loves creating a QB controversy for the draft.

Immediately following the combine, the muted rumblings started. I have no doubt that after the USC pro-day Sanchez will be talked about as the best QB in the draft.

Chiefnj2
03-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Immediately following the combine, the muted rumblings started. I have no doubt that after the USC pro-day Sanchez will be talked about as the best QB in the draft.

I'm sure there will also be some amazing hand times reported for guys like Rey that will cause some to move him back up into the top 15.

Normalcy will only return 4 days or so before the draft.

Blick
03-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I hate that shit. Like a DE's 40 time matters AT ALL. How many times is he actually going to run 40 yards on a single play? Maybe a half dozen times in his ENTIRE CAREER?

I agree, but it still measures speed and speed matters.

Saccopoo
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Most people in the know, in the business of drafts/NFL have rated Curry as potentially the best linebacker to come out in the last decade. How he continually gets bagged on on this board amazes me. I understand that all the QBOTF guys here had their balloon popped with the acquisition of Cassell, and are now suffering from a touch of sour grapes, but to go into the draft, sit at the three spot with the potential of getting what all of the experts agree as to who is the best player in the draft is remarkably good fortune. Especially considering that the Chiefs worst group position last season was linebacker.

Fastest linebacker at the combine and was a man among boys in all the other drills. You could immediately see that Curry had "it" versus every other linebacker there. Big, sheds blocks exceptionally well, and seems to have all the intangibles. And people around here still want to bitch about it and want the Chiefs to reach on a guy like Raji or Brown. It's utterly befuddling.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Most people in the know, in the business of drafts/NFL have rated Curry as potentially the best linebacker to come out in the last decade. How he continually gets bagged on on this board amazes me. I understand that all the QBOTF guys here had their balloon popped with the acquisition of Cassell, and are now suffering from a touch of sour grapes, but to go into the draft, sit at the three spot with the potential of getting what all of the experts agree as to who is the best player in the draft is remarkably good fortune. Especially considering that the Chiefs worst group position last season was linebacker.

Fastest linebacker at the combine and was a man among boys in all the other drills. You could immediately see that Curry had "it" versus every other linebacker there. Big, sheds blocks exceptionally well, and seems to have all the intangibles. And people around here still want to bitch about it and want the Chiefs to reach on a guy like Raji or Brown. It's utterly befuddling.

Not ALL the other drills, be honest. He finished #1 among LBs in 4 of the drills, yes that much is true.

But there's also this:

bench: 8th among LB's
3-cone: 10th among LB's (and worse than 4 DL)
20-yd shuttle: 13th among LB's (and EIGHTEEN DL did better)

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree, but it still measures speed and speed matters.

How does it measure speed? Did they run their 40 on natural grass, in FULL pads?

When's the last time you saw a guy on Sunday in shorts and t-shirt?

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM

No shit. Jackson must be getting overvalued because of the influx of 3-4 but even so, geez.

Ayers has no business in the first round at any point IMO.

Blick
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
How does it measure speed? Did they run their 40 on natural grass, in FULL pads?

I said I agreed with your points that the 40 is overrated.

It still gives you a decent idea of a player's speed.

It's not like Maybin is Tamba Hali.

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 10:01 AM
The first 10 yards is much more important for a DE.

RustShack
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM

When Priest was eating nachos.

RustShack
03-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Not ALL the other drills, be honest. He finished #1 among LBs in 4 of the drills, yes that much is true.

But there's also this:

bench: 8th among LB's
3-cone: 10th among LB's (and worse than 4 DL)
20-yd shuttle: 13th among LB's (and EIGHTEEN DL did better)

But but those don't matter, the 40 time is all that measures if you can get to the QB. Even though Curry has never been asked to do it and in no way has the technique down hes going to be great just like every rookie coming out!!!1!11!!!1!

philfree
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
But but those don't matter, the 40 time is all that measures if you can get to the QB. Even though Curry has never been asked to do it and in no way has the technique down hes going to be great just like every rookie coming out!!!1!11!!!1!

If Curry is asked to rush the passer it will most likely not be with his hand on the ground. With his athletic ability and his ability to take on and beat a blocker I think he has a pretty good chance to become a pass rusher as well as a "cover backer".( That term doesn't do Curry justice.)

PhilFree:arrow:

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2009, 10:54 AM
If Curry is asked to rush the passer it will most likely not be with his hand on the ground. With his athletic ability and his ability to take on and beat a blocker I think he has a pretty good chance to become a pass rusher as well as a "cover backer".( That term doesn't do Curry justice.)

Jim Schwartz mentioned in Peter King's column this morning that Curry would play middle linebacker in their scheme.

Middle linebacker's don't usually rush the passer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/29/march30/3.html

Schwartz was interesting when we spoke the other day about Curry. I told him how Curry played the outside, yet had one sack per four games at Wake. "Not that significant,'' he said. "Here's a guy who would fit perfectly for us in the middle and never come off the field. In college, he played the run, he covered, he did everything linebackers at every position would do. For us, he'd be perfect going sideline to sideline.''

philfree
03-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Jim Schwartz mentioned in Peter King's column this morning that Curry would play middle linebacker in their scheme.

Middle linebacker's don't usually rush the passer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/03/29/march30/3.html

Schwartz was interesting when we spoke the other day about Curry. I told him how Curry played the outside, yet had one sack per four games at Wake. "Not that significant,'' he said. "Here's a guy who would fit perfectly for us in the middle and never come off the field. In college, he played the run, he covered, he did everything linebackers at every position would do. For us, he'd be perfect going sideline to sideline.''

Yeah I saw that but that doesn't effect what I said though and doesn't mean that Curry couldn't be used differently then that and still be a great LB.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah I saw that but that doesn't effect what I said though and doesn't mean that Curry couldn't be used differently then that and still be a great LB.

Okay.

:rolleyes:

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Let's not play a guy to his strengths, let's have him try something else. I mean, he's great in coverage, so why not have him do everything but that. How about, say, rushing the passer?

Say, maybe we could use him at runningback, he's athletic enough.

And all this time I thought Gun was fired.

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Let's not play a guy to his strengths, let's have him try something else. I mean, he's great in coverage, so why not have him do everything but that. How about, say, rushing the passer?

Say, maybe we could use him at runningback, he's athletic enough.

And all this time I thought Gun was fired.

What you seem to be missing is that Curry has no weaknesses. He's the perfect linebacker, capable of doing anything you ask of him.

You want 120 tackles per season? No problem.

You want 15 sacks per season? Again, no problem.

You want 40 passes defended? How nice of you to ask! No problem.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Have you seen Curry play very much? (Beyond YouTube clips, of course.)

I can honestly say that I haven't. Seen him some, but not as much as other prospects.

RustShack
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
The people who act like Curry is god are the same ones who haven't seen him play and are just going with the media hype.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
The people who act like Curry is god are the same ones who haven't seen him play and are just going with the media hype.

This is my assumption, too, but I'm curious to test its validity.

philfree
03-30-2009, 12:46 PM

I can honestly say that I haven't. Seen him some, but not as much as other prospects.

I've just really just watched clips but in doing so it was easy to see how he plays the game. I don't think he's god though but rather just the best player/prospect at the top of this draft.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I've seen him alot, here's what I'd say about him, he had more big plays as a junior so alot of times those things are omitted from his tapes he had several INT returns for TD's. But I think the people who are aware of that blow that up a bit more than it should be...

Curry is very tough and hard nosed more than anything. He's a solid tackler and fights through blocks and plays tough. Those are the things I think of him which why I'm not sure he's a weakside backer. He's strong at the point holds his position he does all those things well, he plays very smart which is how he gets INT's at times.

He's not quite as fluid or as quick to flip his hips as some would believe he is. I don't think he'll ever be a Brooks or Bulluck type because he isn't as "natural" as they are as far as gliding around on the weakside he's much more inclined to take on blockers.

Aaron Curry played Sam in college because it's what he's suited for, he's more suited for middle than he is weakside in my opinion.

I won't compare him to Derrick Johnson because he's not nearly as soft as DJ is as a player he plays completely differently.

I don't think he'll be a bad player, hell I expect he'll be a really good player but I'm not really sure how much impact he'll have.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Watching him on Youtube explains alot.

If you watch the guy play through an entire game, the first thing you'll notice is that you hardly notice him unless the commentators are talking about him.

He just isn't "spectacular".

Mecca
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM

If you watch the guy play through an entire game, the first thing you'll notice is that you hardly notice him unless the commentators are talking about him.

He's a hardnosed workman like solid player who happened to throw up some really good combine numbers but he's by no means a guy who pops or stands out throughout games.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I've seen him alot, here's what I'd say about him, he had more big plays as a junior so alot of times those things are omitted from his tapes he had several INT returns for TD's. But I think the people who are aware of that blow that up a bit more than it should be...

Curry is very tough and hard nosed more than anything. He's a solid tackler and fights through blocks and plays tough. Those are the things I think of him which why I'm not sure he's a weakside backer. He's strong at the point holds his position he does all those things well, he plays very smart which is how he gets INT's at times.

He's not quite as fluid or as quick to flip his hips as some would believe he is. I don't think he'll ever be a Brooks or Bulluck type because he isn't as "natural" as they are as far as gliding around on the weakside he's much more inclined to take on blockers.

Aaron Curry played Sam in college because it's what he's suited for, he's more suited for middle than he is weakside in my opinion.

I won't compare him to Derrick Johnson because he's not nearly as soft as DJ is as a player he plays completely differently.

I don't think he'll be a bad player, hell I expect he'll be a really good player but I'm not really sure how much impact he'll have.

Well done, gents.

Some nice analysis here.

Interesting to note that two of the posters who have seen more game footage of this player than most seem to have similar takes. And this has nothing to do with QB's, before anyone wants to be intellectually dishonest.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
All of a sudden USC fans are watching lots of Wake Forest games.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Not all of us just sit down and watch "our teams" play....seeing as SC is a west coast team and typically plays later.

Pestilence
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM

People who love watching college football....don't just watch their teams play and then turn off the TV.

Fucking dipshit.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
People who love watching college football....don't just watch their teams play and then turn off the TV.

****ing dipshit.

I'm sure Mecca gave a breakdown of Curry after his junior year, or midseason when he watching all those games.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Chiefnj going for the dipshit of the month award I see.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM

You've got a dedicated group of followers. You should create your own draft site.

dj56dt58
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM

they usually have lower ceilings

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM

Well, he does like Clay Matthews better than Maualuga and Cushing.

He of 9 starts in 5 years.