PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Please include Rufus' family in your prayers

stumppy
03-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Rufus (Bucky) Church, the owner/co-owner of Ozark Dodge and Heritage Chrysler Jeep was found dead Monday morning in the shop at Ozark Dodge. He died of a gunshot wound. From what I've heard and seen it sounds like someone had broke into the shop and killed him when he interupted the burglary.

Rufus was my boss and a friend. I worked at OD and HCJ for about 6 years as a service writer and manager and learned alot from him. Not only about business but about life in general. Rufus was a good and honest man. His kind are few and far between, especially in the car business. He was always genuinely interested in the lives of the people that worked for/with him and their families.

Not long after I started working there I was confronted with a situation where a customer was upset about their business dealings with the dealership. I forget the particulars of what exactly had happened but it basically boiled down to a dispute over repairs or the cost or something like that. I remember the dollar amount involved was over $1000.00. Here I was, pretty much the lowest man on the totem pole in the shop, only having worked there for 5 or 6 months, having to deal with this situation. That'll teach me for working late after the shop had closed. It looked to me like the customer was right and someone had F'd up. So I made a judgment call and let the customer walk without paying the bill. I spent the rest of that night thinking I'd be looking for a job the next day. As usual, I was the first person in the shop the next morning. Rufus was the second. I figured I'd tell him what happened before I had to tell my manager (and watch him hit the ceiling right before he fired me).
Rufus could tell I was worried about the repercusions and said to me 'In any situation like that you should always do what you think is the ethical thing to do. You do that and we'll never have a problem'.
Just do the right thing. That's the kind of man he was.

To say the least this is a horrible tragedy. His family and friends are handling this as best can be expected. If you all would keep them in your thoughts and prayers I would appreciate it.

(Would a mod please sticky this)

Buehler445
03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
WOW. Sorry to hear bud.

Good people in this world are hard to find.

Buck
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Man, sounds like a great man.

Sorry for your loss.

Hydrae
03-26-2009, 06:57 PM
You got it.

talastan
03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear, prayers are on the way.

JASONSAUTO
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
prayers on the way.

stumppy
03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Bump

PhillyChiefFan
03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Very sorry to hear about this.

Best wishes to his family.

burt
03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Stumpy, I respect you....condolences.

bogey
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Sad to lose one of the good guys.

gblowfish
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
KOLR News story from Monday.
One of my best friends in College grew up in Ozark. His family had land on the Finley River too. One of the nicest guys I know. Must be in the water there...

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=131631

HemiEd
03-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Well that really sucks, sorry to hear about it Stumpy, but I enjoyed hearing about a good man.

speak24
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
sorry to hear and prayers on the way.

stumppy
03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.