PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft NFL Draft moving to February?

Mr. Krab
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Sunday, March 22, 2009

Could NFL Draft move to February? (http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2009/03/could-nfl-draft-move-to-february.html)

The NFL Draft has undergone several changes in recent years, but the most drastic change yet could be on the horizon.

Pro Football Weekly reports that some NFL insiders may want the NFL Draft to move from its traditional late April date to late-February (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2009/holbrook032209.htm). The rationale would be to have the Draft take place before the start of free agency.

Such a move would also place the Draft in a "relatively dead time in the sports calendar — before college basketball’s March Madness or baseball’s spring training and well before the NBA or NHL playoffs begin (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2009/holbrook032209.htm)."

Last year, the first day of the Draft aired directly opposite baseball on FOX, an NHL playoff game on NBC, and an NBA playoff double-header on TNT. While ESPN's first round coverage easily beat each of those events in the ratings, it is likely that the Draft lost some potential viewers to the competition.

Any change could be announced during the NFL owners meetings, which began on Sunday.

Direckshun
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I like it.

Kyle DeLexus
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
It would also give guys less time to train for the combine, thus limiting workout freaks impacts.

Deberg_1990
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Feb is a sweeps month.

Frazod
03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
YES. PLEASE.

Mecca
03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Uh why the hell would you wanna have the draft before free agency, that makes no sense to me at all.

Molitoth
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I like it!

Build through the Draft and then go find free agents to fill the holes.

The way they have it setup know is ass-backwards.

Molitoth
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Uh why the hell would you wanna have the draft before free agency, that makes no sense to me at all.

Build through draft, if teams don't get who they want, they know who to look for in free agency????

Baconeater
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Nah, I don't miss football yet by the end of February, I like having the little nugget of NFL smack dab in the middle of the offseason.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
"Any change could be announced during the NFL owners meetings, which began on Sunday."

Didn't this already come and go with no announcement?

philfree
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Wouldn't that mess up the ability to gain compensation for tagged players and RFAs. I agree it makes no sense.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mecca
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Also you'd literally put a couple weeks between the superbowl and the draft essentially hamstringing the best teams on how long their organization could be focused on the draft.

philfree
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Also you'd literally put a couple weeks between the superbowl and the draft essentially hamstringing the best teams on how long their organization could be focused on the draft.

And for teams who are bringing in a new HC it would really be screwed. And what about the combine? They'd have to move it up too.

PhilFree:arow:

Frazod
03-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Nah, I don't miss football yet by the end of February, I like having the little nugget of NFL smack dab in the middle of the offseason.

I get sick of the endless speculation and the draftpsychos beating each other (and everybody else) over the head with their opinions. A couple less months of that would be wonderful, IMO. I'd prefer an extra couple of months of thinking about what the guys we already have can do for us instead of guys we might get but won't.

BigVE
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
It would also give guys less time to train for the combine, thus limiting workout freaks impacts.

Uh, none of these guys can make big strides in any key areas in only 2 months.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Uh, none of these guys can make big strides in any key areas in only 2 months.
working with a speed coach, training not for football speed, but for performance on the 40 can definitely have an effect in 2 months.

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't really care.

CoMoChief
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I would assume this would in a way save teams money instead of breaking the bank sometimes for FA's.

If you have a chance to draft a DE that you want, no longer do you need to dish out 10mil a season to guys like Peppers etc.

In retrospect it might hurt the guys that are wanting to go to FA and having that said they prob need to get a handle on some of these rookie contracts.

Mecca
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Teams are always going to value the FA over the draft pick unless it's like say Mario Williams.

The real issue comes from if you decide you must get a position and your targeted draft guy doesn't get there and your FA falls through you have no backup plan where as now if you miss out on your FA you know you have to take someone at some point in the draft.

They should just leave it how it is, if they moved it up to say March that would be one thing but before FA is just asking for problems.

Brock
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
No, leave it the way it is.

PhillyChiefFan
03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Go for it. I need my NFL fix during the winter.

evolve27
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
No, leave it the way it is.

Yep gives us time to break up the offseason.

BigVE
03-27-2009, 12:34 PM
So much of what the NFL has done is recent years is based on $$$$ and not much else. If they come to a consensus that it will make them all more money it will be changed to Feb.

philfree
03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe they should have the Sr Bowl, Combine and draft all in a 10 day to two week span. Last half of feb.

Count Alex's Losses
03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
People in front offices are going to hate this.

patteeu
03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Have the first day of the draft in late February and the second day in late April. Just because.

Rain Man
03-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I bet they're positioning themselves to implement my three-month draft idea.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
The point made about how the NFL is all about money really made me think about your idea. I think it's a good one, I think you should draw up a proposal and send it to NFL N and the league headquarters.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Teams are always going to value the FA over the draft pick unless it's like say Mario Williams.

The real issue comes from if you decide you must get a position and your targeted draft guy doesn't get there and your FA falls through you have no backup plan where as now if you miss out on your FA you know you have to take someone at some point in the draft.

They should just leave it how it is, if they moved it up to say March that would be one thing but before FA is just asking for problems.

I think the reason for doing this is twofold. First, there's the ratings. But more importantly, this says that the owners are wanting an NBA-Style contract slotting solidified in the next CBA.

If the players make far less money in round one (and on down the line), it'll put a greater emphasis not only free agency, but will make for much more of a "Hot Stove" league.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 06:15 PM
So much of what the NFL has done is recent years is based on $$$$ and not much else. If they come to a consensus that it will make them all more money it will be changed to Feb.

Good point. It's weird that they seem to be proposing this move for ratings!?!? And they're already beating the opposing league's games. There have got to be good or bad reasons to promote this change, and they're most worried about ratings that they're already winning.....

wazu
03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I like it. Primarily for the reason they cited about doing it before free agency. I'd rather free agency be around to plug holes. Plus the weather is still crap in February. I'd rather they do it while the weather is bad and I'm indoors anyway.

Iowanian
03-27-2009, 09:07 PM
There is only 1 thing I can think of that I don't like about it.

Teams that are getting coaches from the superbowl teams would have very little time to prepare for the draft. This year, with Haley coming in after the superbowl, then spending a couple of weeks adding coaches, what would have been the impact on the Chiefs draft?

At the end of Feb, the Chiefs didn't even have a Dcood yet. How well would they realistically been able to draft, when they hadn't even nailed down schemes?

IF they're making big changes....PLEASE negotiate slotting with the new players agreement. Get players into the early camps and offseason programs, give them predetermined contracts, and let them play their ass off for 3-4 seasons before being given the right to get those bigger contracts.

Pioli Zombie
03-27-2009, 09:13 PM
But then we wouldn't have 3 months of
We should draft an OT
You're a retard
We should draft a linebacker
You're a retard
We should draft a qb
You're a retard
We should draft a wr
You're a retard
We should draft a NT
You're a retard
Posted via Mobile Device

philfree
03-27-2009, 09:20 PM
But then we wouldn't have 3 months of
We should draft an OT
You're a retard
We should draft a linebacker
You're a retard
We should draft a qb
You're a retard
We should draft a wr
You're a retard
We should draft a NT
You're a retard
Posted via Mobile Device

Retarts come and go

But the songs remains the same

You fuking dumb asz

%%^^$**^&##

sincerey,

"hamas"

rad
03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I couldn't deal with 5 months of nothing between the draft and TC.

rad
03-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Rainman's idea is pretty sweet though. Stretch that baby out, make it last.

But maybe do it backwards. Round 7 first, then 6, then 5, etc. This way here see, you save the best for last.

alanm
03-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I get sick of the endless speculation and the draftpsychos beating each other (and everybody else) over the head with their opinions. A couple less months of that would be wonderful, IMO. I'd prefer an extra couple of months of thinking about what the guys we already have can do for us instead of guys we might get but won't.I agree. All this draft psychobabble conjecture goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. :shake:

Iowanian
03-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Maybe they could do the first 2-3 rounds at the end of Feb......then open FA for a month....and then finish the draft.

That way, teams could get the impact players, fill some holes with FAs, and then they could spend significantly more time studying, interviewing, scouting the lower tier of draftable players.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't know how I feel about splitting it up. I like the idea of just doing one pick per day for only the first round. And then I'd probably just go a round a day after that. I think that would be perfect.

whoman69
03-27-2009, 11:30 PM
To me the earliest you could move the draft up would be early April. The draft used to be just after the Super Bowl in the past. Let's not repeat that mistake. Drafting later gives teams more time to scout. The only advantage to moving it to February is it gives teams more time to get players signed. IMO they would just hold out all that much longer.

Guru
03-27-2009, 11:31 PM
HELL YES!!!

HolyHandgernade
03-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't understand why you would want to draft before free agency either. If that were the case this year, we might be selecting a QB. If we didn't, then any team would know our desperate QB situation and have some leverage on us in trades/FA. Really, though, I don't care.

-HH

Gravedigger
03-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Yeah I'm tired of it being towards the end of April it always seems like such a long way away.

KCChiefsMan
03-28-2009, 03:52 AM
yes having it before FA isn't ideal

yes it would suck for playoffs teams

yes it would suck for teams with a new head coach for several reasons

yes teams would gain leverage over players

yes it probably wouldn't be a great thing

BUT..........our impatient asses wouldn't have to wait.

So my vote is YES!

googlegoogle
03-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Helps getting rookies signed and ready for the season.

thurman merman
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
that would be awesome.