PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Gillespie out - Donovan In?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Donovan headed to UK?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/032709source_donovan_leaving_UCF

Discuss Thrower
03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Donovan headed to UK?

Seems a bit early to can Billy G, the guy has just about one recruiting class playing? At least UK went to the tourny last year, while Florida didn't.

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 02:53 PM
This has to be false. According to DaKCMan, Florida is the best at everything and no one would ever leave that school.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Seems a bit early to can Billy G, the guy has just about one recruiting class playing? At least UK went to the tourny last year, while Florida didn't.

Gillespie is gone all the same...

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I did hear on ESPN that Billy G said they were "one fast guard" away....ROFL.

What? You didn't even get in the tournament!
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I did hear on ESPN that Billy G said they were "one fast guard" away....ROFL.

What? You didn't even get in the tournament!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well to be fair, their point guard this season was awful. He shouldn't be playing on any good team.

Patterson and Meeks were both All-SEC. UK should have made the tourney.

Discuss Thrower
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Well to be fair, their point guard this season was awful. He shouldn't be playing on any good team.

It was pretty funny watching the whiteboy play PG, defenders gave him an 8 foot halo anywhere on the court and he would NEVER shoot.

sedated
03-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Donovan turned down millions in Orlando to stay in FLA. I doubt he leaves now.

Fritz88
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
He is gone

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=929086

The guy needs time although his firing is very justifiable.

EDIT: No it is not actually justifiable. I just realized he has been there only for two years. Screw UK.

They should also consider a new AD.

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 03:01 PM

That is fair, but they're not a fast guard away. Meeks is really REALLY good. Patterson is solid, but you're not going to make a deep deep run with those guys. That and they are god awful on defense (the games I saw).

It should be noted that before he made that statement he was saying that he was "brought in to cut down some nets". I assume that's what he thinks this team is one fast guard away from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I do acknowlege that it is too early to fire him. Especially at a high profile place like kentucky. You don't need to be scaring talent away by suggesting that you won't give them time.

That being said, I'm not convinced BG is a good coach. I don't know where he was before, but I haven't seen him field a good team without Acie Law III.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
It's not the 1950's, any more you toothless, sour mash brewing fucks. Kentucky isn't entitled to have a great basketball team. It takes time and effort to build a winner.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
These rumors were around when Tubby was canned. Billy D is NOT going to Kentucky. Just dumb Cat fans wishing for it to happen.

Now a great hire for Kentucky would be to go after former Donovan assistant and current VCU coach Anthony Grant. I'd be upset if it happened, but it'd be great for UK.

CoMoChief
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
It's not the 1950's, any more you toothless, sour mash brewing ****s. Kentucky isn't entitled to have a great basketball team. It takes time and effort to build a winner.

:spock:

beavis
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't know why anyone takes that job now. Geez, 2 years? The guy never had a chance.

CoMoChief
03-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I don't know why anyone takes that job now. Geez, 2 years? The guy never had a chance.

When you're at powerhouse programs, you're expected to immediately continue the winning tradition. Anything else and you get the axe in most cases, whether the action is justified or not.

Had Self not won the NC, and then followed that up with a couple seasons not making the NCAA's, his ass would def be on the hot seat.

But yeah youre right 2 years is a little harsh. Gillipse is a good coach IMO.

RJ
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
It's not the 1950's, any more you toothless, sour mash brewing ****s. Kentucky isn't entitled to have a great basketball team. It takes time and effort to build a winner.

Sour mash is Tennessee.

Bourbon is Kentucky.

It takes a lot of time and effort to make a good bourbon.

Just sayin's all.

RJ
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
These rumors were around when Tubby was canned. Billy D is NOT going to Kentucky. Just dumb Cat fans wishing for it to happen.

Now a great hire for Kentucky would be to go after former Donovan assistant and current VCU coach Anthony Grant. I'd be upset if it happened, but it'd be great for UK.

He might. It was good enough for his daddy Pittino, after all.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Donovan turned down millions in Orlando to stay in FLA. I doubt he leaves now.

Psst. Orlando is in FL.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 03:31 PM

There is a reason Grant hasn't accepted the job at Alabama. He's waiting on FL.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 03:33 PM

It's not that they were impatient. It's that Gilespie pissed off the boosters and his players. There was a mutiney from all sides.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
He might. It was good enough for his daddy Pittino, after all.

Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino told him NOT to take the UK job. He has it great at Florida - not nearly the pressures of KY. Plus he has an outstanding class coming in next year.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
There is a reason Grant hasn't accepted the job at Alabama. He's waiting on FL.

The FL job isn't, and wont be, available.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Ok... maye I'm completely wrong here.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM

yeah, it was a lot harder to read that in the OP

DaKCMan AP

UF is denying this report.

http://brockblog.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2355700

RJ
Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino told him NOT to take the UK job. He has it great at Florida - not nearly the pressures of KY. Plus he has an outstanding class coming in next year.

That part is very true. I doubt if there is a tougher job in college basketball in terms of the expectations. In Kentucky there's UK basketball, then there's high school basketball and then there's everything else.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
This is getting interesting..

http://brockblog.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2355637

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah, it was a lot harder to read that in the OP

Yes, it was. Still don't think it's going to happen.

Brock
03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Sounds like the AD needs to sprout some testicles and tell the boosters to back off.

chiefs1111
03-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, it was. Still don't think it's going to happen.

I hope not...

jAZ
03-27-2009, 03:49 PM

You are just a little behind the curve. This has been developing for a few days.

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 03:54 PM

I don't think they were rumors the first time around. IIRC, UK made him an offer and he said "NO. I'm staying at UF"
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
You are just a little behind the curve. This has been developing for a few days.

Just like it was when UK hired Gillespie.. :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when it's final. Until then, it's just Cat fans wishing.

chiefs1111
it just scrolled across the bottom of espn that Florida says that Donovan wont be a candidate for any jobs this off season...

Ultra Peanut
Even if he goes, he'll probably pull out at the last second.

It's not the 1950's, any more you toothless, sour mash brewing fucks. Kentucky isn't entitled to have a great basketball team. It takes time and effort to build a winner.LAST I CHECKED WE WUZ THA NUMBER WON PROAGRAM IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think they were rumors the first time around. IIRC, UK made him an offer and he said "NO. I'm staying at UF"
Posted via Mobile Device

A team can make an offer to any coach at any time. Saying that BillyD IS/WAS leaving, when he isn't/wasn't would be 'rumor'.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
it just scrolled across the bottom of espn that Florida says that Donovan wont be a candidate for any jobs this off season...

All the talk of AG taking the Bama job, and if that becomes final, seals it for me. AG wouldn't take the Bama job if the Florida one was available.

Ultra Peanut
03-27-2009, 03:58 PM
All the talk of AG taking the Bama job, and if that becomes final, seals it for me. AG wouldn't take the Bama job if the Florida one was available.p. much

Ford is probably the guy for Kentucky. May he be as successful as Gillispie.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Billy D: "I'm committed to the University of Florida"

per ESPNews

+1 DaKCMan AP

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
at the top of CBS Sportsline

Coach Billy Donovan will not leave Florida for Kentucky or any other college basketball job, Gary Parrish reports.

http://www.cbssports.com/

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Donovan not a candidate at UK

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090327/ARTICLES/903279949?Title=Donovan-not-a-candidate-at-UK

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Billy D: "I'm committed to the University of Florida"

per ESPNews

+1 DaKCMan AP

so...he's gone.

http://www.kusports.com/rim/roystays.jpg

jAZ
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Just like it was when UK hired Gillespie.. :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when it's final. Until then, it's just Cat fans wishing.

I'm didn't say it was a done deal a few days ago. I said it's been developing. It's just now hitting the national media.

Unlike you, I'm not saying anything is a done deal one way or another.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
All the talk of AG taking the Bama job, and if that becomes final, seals it for me. AG wouldn't take the Bama job if the Florida one was available.

Agreed 100%.

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
A team can make an offer to any coach at any time. Saying that BillyD IS/WAS leaving, when he isn't/wasn't would be 'rumor'.

I would call it denying an offer, but that's just me.

Doesn't matter either way. If he was so quick to turn it down the last time, I seriously doubt him reconsidering.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
It's not that they were impatient. It's that Gilespie pissed off the boosters and his players. There was a mutiney from all sides.

I actually don't care either way. I just enjoy taking a shot at the bow of UK, due to their reverence of Adolph Rupp.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I live in Lexington and have been here since '96. Here are a few myths dispelled (or confirmed):

Gillispie is not a good coach. He cannot make an adjustment in the game. Sound familiar? Tubby was a great coach but was thrown out because he was believed to be unable to recruit (very debatable). That was far more unfair than what has happened to Gillispie.

BG did ONE good thing at KY, he brought in Patrick Patterson (a true beast and a class act). After that he flat out failed. Patterson should be national player of the year, IMO (but he won't be).

You could get 3 guys from a church league to play alongside Patterson and Meeks and get to the NCAAs. No excuse. Except for bad coaching. Besides, Stevenson and Miller are good players too.

Kentuckians (as rabid as they are) are split on whether this firing was the right thing (52% yes, 38% no, 10% undecided).

Like it or not, UK is a top 5 national BB program. The whole state is crazy about it. It's like the Packers in Wisconsin (I've lived there too) without the Brewers, Bucks, and any other teams in Milwaukee. There is NOTHING else in Kentucky (except U of L). We almost claim the Reds for Chrissakes. Kentuckians are not reasonable when it comes to BB and why should they be? If a coach takes a perfectly good program and loses in the 1st round of the NCAA the first year, and then misses the tournament the second year he doesn't deserve to stay. Simple as that.

Gillispie screwed the pooch (sorry, Micjones) in many other ways. He didn't manage the media, the boosters, or even the sideline reporters during his time. UK demands a professional, classy front-man. BG was neither.

BG never signed a long-term contract. There was only a year-to-year rolling one-year deal. It sounds like that was his idea not to enter negotiations on a long-term deal. I'm not sure, but he never really embraced this place.

We as Chiefs fans would not have put up with that calibre of coaching any longer than UK fans did. Would anybody here have given Herm his 3rd year?

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$, Billy.

Brock
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Like it or not, UK is a top 5 national BB program.

No, it isn't.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
No, it isn't.

ROFL

Brock
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
You sound like an Indiana fan who thinks your program still matters.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 04:54 PM
You sound like an Indiana fan who thinks your program still matters.

A few down years doesn't erase a history of winning. Just like a Championship in 2008 doesn't erase several years of mediocrity.

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
No, it isn't.

They are the all time wins leader folowed closely by Norf Cackalackie and Kansas.

Brock
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
A few down years doesn't erase a history of winning. Just like a Championship in 2008 doesn't erase several years of mediocrity.

Several years of being in the championship game and final fours = mediocrity? Yeah, you're a Kentucky fan all right.

BWillie
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I live in Lexington and have been here since '96. Here are a few myths dispelled (or confirmed):

Gillispie is not a good coach. He cannot make an adjustment in the game. Sound familiar? Tubby was a great coach but was thrown out because he was believed to be unable to recruit (very debatable). That was far more unfair than what has happened to Gillispie.

BG did ONE good thing at KY, he brought in Patrick Patterson (a true beast and a class act). After that he flat out failed. Patterson should be national player of the year, IMO (but he won't be).

You could get 3 guys from a church league to play alongside Patterson and Meeks and get to the NCAAs. No excuse. Except for bad coaching. Besides, Stevenson and Miller are good players too.

Kentuckians (as rabid as they are) are split on whether this firing was the right thing (52% yes, 38% no, 10% undecided).

Like it or not, UK is a top 5 national BB program. The whole state is crazy about it. It's like the Packers in Wisconsin (I've lived there too) without the Brewers, Bucks, and any other teams in Milwaukee. There is NOTHING else in Kentucky (except U of L). We almost claim the Reds for Chrissakes. Kentuckians are not reasonable when it comes to BB and why should they be? If a coach takes a perfectly good program and loses in the 1st round of the NCAA the first year, and then misses the tournament the second year he doesn't deserve to stay. Simple as that.

Gillispie screwed the pooch (sorry, Micjones) in many other ways. He didn't manage the media, the boosters, or even the sideline reporters during his time. UK demands a professional, classy front-man. BG was neither.

BG never signed a long-term contract. There was only a year-to-year rolling one-year deal. It sounds like that was his idea not to enter negotiations on a long-term deal. I'm not sure, but he never really embraced this place.

We as Chiefs fans would not have put up with that calibre of coaching any longer than UK fans did. Would anybody here have given Herm his 3rd year?

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$, Billy.

You guys are nuts. Tell Texas A&M fans that Billy G wasn't a good coach. You don't judge a team based on their first two years. Look at Mike Anderson at Missouri. Missouri fans were by no means impressed with him last year. It looked like his system wasn't working, and the Tiger's were willing to pounce on him if he failed this year. Look what happened. He got time to get his players in, players that fit what he wanted to do and all of a sudden they get to Elite 8.

Kentucky is couple good players away from being really good. Two Guys (Meeks & Patterson) can't carry a team when the rest of your team sucks. They have Daniel Orton coming in and Jon Hood who are going to be great players.

It is asinine to fire a coach after two years in 99% of all circumstances. Hell, Herm Edwards made it longer than that. Don't you think Gillispie deserves one more?

Jerm
03-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Dick Vitale just suggested Bob Knight as HC with Travis Ford as his assistant for 5 or 6 years and then taking over.

LMAO...what a senile old fool.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
You guys are nuts. Tell Texas A&M fans that Billy G wasn't a good coach. You don't judge a team based on their first two years. Look at Mike Anderson at Missouri. Missouri fans were by no means impressed with him last year. It looked like his system wasn't working, and the Tiger's were willing to pounce on him if he failed this year. Look what happened. He got time to get his players in, players that fit what he wanted to do and all of a sudden they get to Elite 8.

Kentucky is couple good players away from being really good. Two Guys (Meeks & Patterson) can't carry a team when the rest of your team sucks. They have Daniel Orton coming in and Jon Hood who are going to be great players.

It is asinine to fire a coach after two years in 99% of all coaches. Hell, Herm Edwards made it longer than that. Don't you think Gillispie deserves one more?

I don't know much about BG's coaching before he came to Ky. Maybe they loved him in College Station. But he was a lousy coach at UK. They never played 2 games alike all season. They didn't improve after half-time, and if he called a timeout during a troubled stretch, they'd come back out and turn it over again. He might go somewhere else and do well (again?) but UK were better to cut their losses, IMO. And I am usually in favour of keeping coaches rather than firing them for the sake of it. Hell I would have kept Tubby except the natives were getting restless and he had to go.

Having said that I'd feel better if UK were going to get a good replacement. A lot has yet to be sorted out. The future is not looking too bright, but I can't see regretting letting BG walk.

BWillie
03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't know much about BG's coaching before he came to Ky. Maybe they loved him in College Station. But he was a lousy coach at UK. They never played 2 games alike all season. They didn't improve after half-time, and if he called a timeout during a troubled stretch, they'd come back out and turn it over again. He might go somewhere else and do well (again?) but UK were better to cut their losses, IMO. And I am usually in favour of keeping coaches rather than firing them for the sake of it. Hell I would have kept Tubby except the natives were getting restless and he had to go.

Having said that I'd feel better if UK were going to get a good replacement. A lot has yet to be sorted out. The future is not looking too bright, but I can't see regretting letting BG walk.

Could get alot worse if Orton decides to go somewhere else and if Patterson and Meeks decide to go pro. Who knows if you can snag a guy like Calipari, but I'm not counting on it. I'm not so sure coaches are going to view Kentucky as a premier program you want to go to after what happened to Billy G

Cormac
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Could get alot worse if Orton decides to go somewhere else and if Patterson and Meeks decide to go pro. Who knows if you can snag a guy like Calipari, but I'm not counting on it. I'm not so sure coaches are going to view Kentucky as a premier program you want to go to after what happened to Billy G

Apparently Calipari has already turned UK down.

I've been assuming that Meeks and Patterson would leave anyway, but apparently they've been talking about staying. Who knows now after the firing. Also, BG had some good recruits coming in, but I didn't trust him to be able to coach them any. I do think this will definitely be a setback to the program. It doesn't bode well and UK will probably sink for a while. We'll just have to live with it. But that setback started when Tubby was forced out. I think that's when the damage was done to the image of UK as a place to coach.

Buehler445
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM

I think these are some good points. It's not like Kentucky has nothing to offer. The fan base is great, money isn't a problem, name recognition, tradition, it's all there.

But to draw big name coaches away from successful gigs, which I think is what they are going to want to do, is going to be a lot tougher because of the percieved risk of getting canned if a couple of balls don't bounce your way. For a coach that has been successful and has a decent amount of job security, that is a GIANT risk that will have to be overcome by something.
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 05:23 PM

That is the danger with rash moves like this. Firing a guy after just two years, and after one year of missing the tourney, sets a bad example. Not many coaches will want to put up with a fan base and administration that are so irrational.

UK is definitely still an elite program, but how many top tier coaches would want to move their family and deal with the 24/7 circus in Lexington if there really is no job security?

Cormac
03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
This is a good unbiased article for anyone who gives a crap :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4018869&sportCat=ncb

Cormac
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I think these are some good points. It's not like Kentucky has nothing to offer. The fan base is great, money isn't a problem, name recognition, tradition, it's all there.

But to draw big name coaches away from successful gigs, which I think is what they are going to want to do, is going to be a lot tougher because of the percieved risk of getting canned if a couple of balls don't bounce your way. For a coach that has been successful and has a decent amount of job security, that is a GIANT risk that will have to be overcome by something.
Posted via Mobile Device

I totally agree. I don't see the big names out there that would fit to be honest. Donovan and Calipari have declined (supposedly). Jay Wright declined 2 years ago. When Tubby was on the hot-seat around 2001-2002 time I wanted Bill Self or Tom Izzo (despite the low-scoring style). But those guys are all really settled at comparable programs and would have no desire to leave.

The talk here is bound to turn to local boy John Pelphrey but I doubt he's ready. Then there is Travis Ford. But I really hope they can make a bigger splash.

I think it was Pitino who said that forcing Tubby out would be a 10 year setback to the team. We're in year 3 and counting.....

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
It's not job security but doesn't Kentucky have to buy BG out for $6 million?

jAZ
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Sounds like Grant accepted the Alabama job, you are safe.

Cormac
03-27-2009, 05:59 PM
It's not job security but doesn't Kentucky have to buy BG out for $6 million?

Nobody seems to know. Because that long-term contract was never consumated and the year-to-year thing was done, it's very unclear. Probably what will happen is a long protracted legal situation between UK and BG and there will be a settlement we may never hear about. Personally, I doubt they'll end up paying $6m, but who knows what the final sum will be. Mitch Barnhart (UK's AD) said in the press conference that UK would be fair to BG when they were sorting it out and were planning to do right by him (or words to that effect). Seemed like a weird thing to say.

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Sounds like Grant accepted the Alabama job, you are safe.

Good, that increases the odds that Mizzou can keep in Anderson.

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Good, that increases the odds that Mizzou can keep in Anderson.

Is Miami still interested in Anderson?

Jerm
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Georgia supposedly is.

I still see no way he leaves.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Just found this...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/145574-billy-gillespie-gone-from-kentucky-in-hiring-that-never-should-have-been

Billy Gillispie Soon Gone from Kentucky in Hiring That Never Should Have Been
by Jonathan Lintner (Columnist)
March 26, 2009

Billy Gillispie is out at Kentucky. Ask your boss, inquire your secretary, or call your mother-in-law. They’ll all tell you the same.

Rumors of Gillispie’s firing from the University of Kentucky haven’t been confirmed, but at this point it’s common knowledge that the second-year coach with a history of being an outcast was ousted by Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart following Kentucky’s convincing loss to Notre Dame in the NIT.

What I ask Barnhart and Kentucky fans: How did you not see his failure coming?

Answer: He beat Louisville in Rupp Arena, advancing Texas A&M to the Sweet 16 to the hometown’s delight.

Louisville’s Edgar Sosa went to the line, perfect in previous attempts on that day just three years ago. Having to sink both free throws to tie, the freshman guard clanked them both, and Gillispie was suddenly the biggest hero in Lexington.

Barnhart found his man.

After being turned down by more than one candidate (Billy Donovan did not buy a house in Lexington), Kentucky turned to what seemed like one of their own.

Gillispie was a good ol' boy—fit with a shirt, tie, and country accent all Wildcats fans seemed to embrace.

Only he never outran a history of drinking, womanizing, and negativity.

The fact that Gillispie’s wife left him was a green light instead of a red flag.
Apparently, the new coach would be able to better focus on his job without the “distractions” of a family.

Gillispie turned out to numerous social events drunk—the Kentucky Derby, Keenland Race Track, and the Ryder Cup. Kentucky supplied a designated driver and Gillespie made the most of it.

Worst of all, players learned to hate their coach. A reported six of them went to Barnhart with the ultimatum that if Gillispie wasn’t fired, they’d leave.

During the season, freshman DeAndre Liggins refused to enter one game. Fans were outraged that anyone would ever turn down the opportunity to represent the winningest program of all time.

But when it comes down to it, Kentucky fans want to win. Gillispie simply wasn’t doing that. His personal issues were shoved under the rug last season as the Wildcats slithered into the tournament as a No. 11 seed.

This season, NIT-bound boosters were ready to be heard. Gillispie was projecting a negative national image, a losing image, and it was time to cut him off, stop the bleeding, and return to the top of the SEC—not the middle of the worst upper-tier conference in recent memory.

Gillispie is as fired as a coach can be without making things official. Now it’s up to someone else to become the highly scrutinized and often criticized coach at Kentucky.

A tip for Barnhart: Don’t hire the most drunk, cussing, anti-social candidate this time. Designated drivers are expensive.

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Heck jAZ, that's not new. And it's a shitty excuse to fire the guy when Kentucky knew BG was drunk-ass. Hell he had 3 DUI's before they hired him. One in Tulsa, one at UTEP (going the wrong way on a one way street)and one in College Station.

I just find it interesting that Kentucky folks have the nerve to act all wide eyed at the guy's behavior. He's no different than the day they hired his drunk ass.

DeezNutz
03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
I heard there were rumors about Gillespie drinking and driving and this causing some scuttle in the AD. Internet chatter that surfaced on the radio yesterday (810). No confirmation, just a local saying there had been some smoke.

Could be complete bullshit.

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 08:39 PM
If any of you lived around here you might have a better appreciation for the many reasons for canning Billy G. What has been said in the press thus far is mild to what has not been reported about Billy G's off-hours behavior. He is a social pariah...there probably isn't a restaurant in town that doesn't hold their breath when he walks in.

Billy Gillespie was the absolute wrong guy for a job like Kentucky's...his arrogance with not signing a contract...the way he treated the local media, while whining about not being treated fair, the inability to respect himself enough to understand the responsibility of his job as the Coach of the Kentucky Wildcats....all were minor factors in his dismissal.

I work with way too many Wildcat fans and I get to hear day-in/day-out the shenanigans he created. Imagine what you have read and multiply it by a thousand...then you might have an idea of how bad his behaviour was.

mmaddog

DeezNutz
03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
If any of you lived around here you might have a better appreciation for the many reasons for canning Billy G. What has been said in the press thus far is mild to what has not been reported about Billy G's off-hours behavior. He is a social pariah...there probably isn't a restaurant in town that doesn't hold their breath when he walks in.

Billy Gillespie was the absolute wrong guy for a job like Kentucky's...his arrogance with not signing a contract...the way he treated the local media, while whining about not being treated fair, the inability to respect himself enough to understand the responsibility of his job as the Coach of the Kentucky Wildcats....all were minor factors in his dismissal.

I work with way too many Wildcat fans and I get to hear day-in/day-out the shenanigans he created. Imagine what you have read and multiply it by a thousand...then you might have an idea of how bad his behaviour was.

mmaddog

Any truth to the drinking and driving rumors?

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Kentucky fans were willing to overlook all those transgressions. But lose to Gardner-Webb and THEN they have a problem with his juicing.

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Any truth to the drinking and driving rumors?

Yes....the university did have to provide a chauffeur to prevent Gillespie from further embarassing himself.

mmaddog

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes....the university did have to provide a chauffeur to prevent Gillespie from further embarassing himself.

mmaddog

They provided a DD because BCG can't get a license.

DeezNutz
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Yikes.

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Kentucky fans were willing to overlook all those transgressions. But lose to Gardner-Webb and THEN they have a problem with his juicing.

You're reaching and uninformed....please understand I live here in the heart of Wildcat country. I can tell you that it is not just his poor coaching that caused him to be dismissed and it goes way beyond his past transgressions.

Gillespie was given a chance to change his ways when he was given the UK job. If anyone is to be blamed for this stupidity it is Mitch Barnhart and Billy Gillespie. To act like it was the alumni's fault is just truly uninformed.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
They provided a DD because BCG can't get a license.

Duhhhhhhh....not much of a secret about that.

They provided a Chauffeur so that they could monitor his activities and ensure that if he got to a point where he could embarass himself and the university the Chauffeur was directed to take him home.

mmaddog

jAZ
03-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Imagine what you have read and multiply it by a thousand...then you might have an idea of how bad his behaviour was.

mmaddog
I've heard that talk before but no specifics.

Can you share?
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 09:02 PM

They provided a Chauffeur so that they could monitor his activities and ensure that if he got to a point where he could embarass himself and the university the Chauffeur was directed to take him home.

mmaddog

Apparently, it was a secret to the Kentucky fans. They hired him.

jAZ
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM

mmaddog
At that point they should have forced a LOA.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I've heard that talk before but no specifics.

Can you share?
Posted via Mobile Device

There is a local upscale restaurant here in town that had Rich Brooks, the football Coach and Billy Gillespie do a commercial for them. The story goes that Brooks was paid for his part and that Gillespie was there to do the commercial to pay for damages he had done at the restaurant.

The stories about the incidents at Keeneland Race track (here in Lexington), Churchill Downs (at the Kentucky Derby) and at The Ryder Cup..if they are only 20% true, were enough to get most Coaches suspended.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Apparently, it was a secret to the Kentucky fans. They hired him.

Once again....wrong. He was hired by Mitch Barnhart the AD when absolutely no one but him wanted Gillespie. There was a big uproar in the Alumni crowd when he was brought here.

He hasn't been liked in any manner since he got here, and did nothing to try and endear himself to the fan base. You should have seen some of his interviews with the local media....half the time he was condescending, the other half whimpering.

mmaddog

kstater
03-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow, I guess you only get 2 years now to bring in your players and win a championship.

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Once again....wrong. He was hired by Mitch Barnhart the AD when absolutely no one but him wanted Gillespie. There was a big uproar in the Alumni crowd when he was brought here.

He hasn't been liked in any manner since he got here, and did nothing to try and endear himself to the fan base. You should have seen some of his interviews with the local media....half the time he was condescending, the other half whimpering.

mmaddog

Mark, these are the same alumni that willingly ran Tubby out of town. And an AD does not make the move to hire Gillespie without the backing of a major group of donors.

You're saying that he wasn't wanted from day one. Link me to anything that states anything close.

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Mark, these are the same alumni that willingly ran Tubby out of town. And an AD does not make the move to hire Gillespie without the backing of a major group of donors.

You're saying that he wasn't wanted from day one. Link me to anything that states anything close.

If you read anything...I mean anything, you know that Barnhart has been under fire for this hiring. All you have to do is look at Alden at MU to refute your statement about the AD not making a move without talking to big donors. (Remember, the day they hired MA, they had a meeting to decide whether to keep Alden or not)

I don't have anything to link you to...if you choose to not believe me that is your choice. I know I have lived here since before Gillespie was hired..have you?

mmaddog

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 10:10 PM
If you read anything...I mean anything, you know that Barnhart has been under fire for this hiring. All you have to do is look at Alden at MU to refute your statement about the AD not making a move without talking to big donors. (Remember, the day they hired MA, they had a meeting to decide whether to keep Alden or not)

I don't have anything to link you to...if you choose to not believe me that is your choice. I know I have lived here since before Gillespie was hired..have you?

mmaddog

So you can't link me to anything... I mean anything?

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 10:13 PM
So you can't link me to anything... I mean anything?

Nope....I'm a POS liar and you know everything. I bow to your absolute knowledge.

Sorry I bothered to step into your arena of absolute knowledge. I'll know never to do it again.

I am sure your sources of knowledge from where you live are far better than mine who live in the middle of all this crap.

mmaddog

WilliamTheIrish
03-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Nope....I'm a POS liar and you know everything. I bow to your absolute knowledge.

Sorry I bothered to step into your arena of absolute knowledge. I'll know never to do it again.

I am sure your sources of knowledge from where you live are far better than mine who live in the middle of all this crap.

mmaddog
Nobody called you a liar. All I've said throughout this thread is that Kentucky knew all along what BCG is. They did not care. But once he lost to the likes of Gardner-Webb, THEN he was a drunk, a womanizer and loser.

When you get pressed for details you don't provide anything but sewing circle gossip.

Mosbonian
03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Nobody called you a liar. All I've said throughout this thread is that Kentucky knew all along what BCG is. They did not care. But once he lost to the likes of Gardner-Webb, THEN he was a drunk, a womanizer and loser.

When you get pressed for details you don't provide anything but sewing circle gossip.

Yep..that's me...

mmaddog

Silock
03-28-2009, 01:58 AM
So, what about Anderson to UK? I could see that happening.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 10:37 AM
So, what about Anderson to UK? I could see that happening.

I think "Your Ol' Kentucky Home" won't be hiring anybody with Poitier pigment for a good while.

eazyb81
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
LOL. Vitale and Digger campaigning for the UK job on tv this morning.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe Tom Crean.