PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs, LJ have grievance hearing next week

ChiefRon
03-27-2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1110343.html

Running back Larry Johnson's future in Kansas City could be determined by the outcome of his grievance hearing with the Chiefs on Wednesday.

At issue is $3.75 million of guaranteed money Johnson is due from the Chiefs in the contract extension he signed in August 2007. Generally, NFL salaries are not guaranteed, but Johnson's contract calls for payments of $3.5 million this year and $250,000 in 2010 that the Chiefs must pay regardless of whether he plays for them.

The Chiefs claim the one-game suspension he received from the NFL last year for violating the league's personal-conduct policy is a breach of his contract and frees them from having to pay the guaranteed money.

The Chiefs and Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer, declined to answer questions on the matter.

One source familiar with the situation said that should the Chiefs win the grievance, they would probably release Johnson, suggesting the team wouldn't be going through the trouble if they didn't intend to free him from his contract.

Johnson has asked to be traded or released since the end of last season. Unhappy with a diminished role with the Chiefs, Johnson said in the locker room in Cincinnati following the season's last game that he wanted to continue his career playing for another team.

Johnson also said then that he no longer felt comfortable living in Kansas City and that he would want a trade or release no matter what offseason changes they made.

Since then, the Chiefs hired a new general manager in Scott Pioli and fired coach Herm Edwards, replacing him with Todd Haley. Johnson repeated his comments to a Kansas City radio station.

The Chiefs begin their offseason conditioning program Monday, and Schaffer said Johnson intended to participate.

"Right now Larry's focus is preparing for the upcoming NFL season," Schaffer said. "He's a member of the Kansas City Chiefs, so he's doing everything in his power to help the Chiefs win the Super Bowl. So he will be there."

ChiTown
03-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I wish that POS would never wear the Red and Gold again. He's dead to me............

Iowanian
03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Dear Penis,
I don't think I like you anymore....

cdcox
Well, bye.

Brock
Good, get him out of here.

ChiefRon
This sheds some light on things, nothing has been done / will be done until the hearing.

Maybe we'll see a transaction before the draft...

Short Leash Hootie
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
The Chiefs will meet with Larry Johnson on Wednesday to pursue a grievance that his one-game suspension from 2008 was a breach of contract.
Kansas City wants off the hook for $3.75 million guaranteed (L.J.'s $3.5M 2009 salary + $250k in 2010) old GM Carl Peterson put in Johnson's contract, which has predictably turned out to be a disaster. A source tells the KC Star that L.J. will "probably" be released if the Chiefs win the grievance.

Buehler445
Wow. Chief's brass taking LJ to the woodshed. I don't see how he is still on the team.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTown
This sheds some light on things, nothing has been done / will be done until the hearing.

Maybe we'll see a transaction before the draft...

If transaction = dumping him for anything more than a gaggle of retards, I'm all for it..........

Short Leash Hootie
hello repost! Damn me.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
God....god dammit.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
And people here insist that LJ's worth at least a 3rd round pick, if not a second.

ROFL

Iowanian
03-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I hope they can trade him and get SOMETHING for him.....and trade him to a team with a horrible offensive line in a city with a worse night-life than he could imagine.

ChiTown
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
And people here insist that LJ's worth at least a 3rd round pick, if not a second.

ROFL

That was for Arena League draft picks, silly!

Short Leash Hootie
Well, I guess he's toast.

Count Zarth
http://www.ringsgeek.net/images/Sam%20crying.jpg

The Bad Guy
03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
End of the road.

Start thinking a RB with that 3rd round pick.

Pioli Zombie
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
He will never play another game as a Chief.
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I will never forgive Herm Edwards, ever.

He took Larry Johnson and destroyed him.

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I hope they can trade him and get SOMETHING for him.....and trade him to a team with a horrible offensive line in a city with a worse night-life than he could imagine.

I'll bet Green Bay is really jumping after dark.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
LJ should consider the Bills - he and Terrell Owens on the same team could be really interesting. "I'M SO SICK OF ALL THESE PASSES! I WANT TO RUN WITH THE BALL!!!" "I WAS OPEN! WHY DID YOU GO PLAY-ACTION INSTEAD???"

booger
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Send him to San Fran with the rest of the fruit loops. Did wonders for OJ............

Short Leash Hootie
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM

The NFL has shown lately RB's are a dime a dozen...hopefully our next back will be as durable as LJ.

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Please, he wasn't all that to begin with.

It's abundantly clear that our sick running game from a few years ago was due solely to Roaf, Shields, et al.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 04:30 PM

It's abundantly clear that our sick running game from a few years ago was due solely to Roaf, Shields, et al.

Some of you really are retarded.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM

Wrong.

Larry Johnson destroyed Larry Johnson.

Short Leash Hootie
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM

Don't agree...

LJ was running wild in 2005 with Jordan Black playing a lot of LT...Roaf was hurt for most of the year.

LJ is a great runner...plain and simple...give him some space, and not many are better.

That said, he's expendable. Bye Larry.

MTG#10
03-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Yeah he also made Larry hit that one bitch, push that other bitch, and spit on another bitch.

DAMN YOU HERM!!! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

eazyb81
03-27-2009, 04:33 PM

That means a lot coming from you.

Smed1065

Don't forget DVD too!

Count Zarth
Wrong.

Herm planted the seeds of destruction.

booger
03-27-2009, 04:34 PM

if you love it set it free
If it flys away it was never yours
If it poops on your head it must not be your day

Micjones
03-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Cut him so he can make a bolt for Denver and kick the shit out of you twice a year?

Great idea.

DaneMcCloud
That said, he's expendable. Bye Larry.

He's expendable because he's a worthless piece of shit as a teammate.

If he had a great attitude and demeanor, the Chiefs would be foolish to get rid of him.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

jAZ
Good news.

rtmike
LJ should consider the Bills - he and Terrell Owens on the same team could be really interesting. "I'M SO SICK OF ALL THESE PASSES! I WANT TO RUN WITH THE BALL!!!" "I WAS OPEN! WHY DID YOU GO PLAY-ACTION INSTEAD???"

One or two times calling play action and having LJ rip the ball out of Trent Edwards hands should cure that. :D

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
He's expendable because he's a worthless piece of shit as a teammate.

This is not true whatsoever.

EyePod
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
This is so fucking stupid. He was great for us last year, and we shouldn't break all ties with him like this. I am not happy.

Skip Towne
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
hello repost! Damn me.

Pay attention, n00b.

Micjones
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Great idea Kansas City.

Cut him outright and get nothing at all in return for a guy who can still play at a high level in the NFL.

And add to the long list of needs you have already.

Detoxing
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM

I actually Agree with you.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Great idea Kansas City.

Cut him outright and get nothing at all in return for a guy who can still play at a high level in the NFL.

And add to the long list of needs you have already.

From the way it sounds, if we keep or even trade him, we still have to pay the 3.5 mil. Paying 3.75 mil to trade him vs. saving 3.75 mil and not getting anything in return, tough choice. Is what we'd be trading for worth 3.75 mil?

bdeg
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Shonn Greene would be a steal if he's there in the third.

R&GHomer
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Herm planted the seeds of destruction.

Dude, you're out of your mind. DV had LJ Pegged from day one. Larry owes everything to that line. LJ is a thug, punk ass douche bag. Plain and simple.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Herm did work LJ over, which has had an impact on him. But IMO, LJ's attitude has hurt his career more than that one season. Sure sounded like LJ's attitude was a primary contributor to LJ not seeing more field time while DV was here.

Micjones
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
And we'd not only be losing a RB. We'd be losing our starter there.
When we still need a RT, at least 1 more starting LB, a starting Defensive End, and a starting WR? We may also need a new starter at Center if they don't believe in Niswanger.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Herm did work LJ over, which has had an impact on him. But IMO, LJ's attitude has hurt his career more than that one season.

I'm not even talking about 416 carries. I'm talking about the complete bumbling of the offensive line situation. We had utter retards trying to rebuild the line. It was sort of like giving Brett Favre a huge contract and not investing in any good receivers. I'm not going to deny that Larry responded poorly to the situation but it is what it is.

Herm is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise. And that INCLUDES Carl Peterson.

Otter
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM

That playoff game vs. the Colts was brutal. Absolutely, brutal.

Noss
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Wrong.

Send Larry packing before he can destroy the team. He is a cancer.

the Talking Can
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
LJ is a piece of shit alcoholic who beats women, and he's a selfish quitter too....

i hope they go after every fucking penny

speak24
03-27-2009, 05:12 PM
:clap::LOL::Scanlon::Scanlon::Scanlon::Scanlon:PBJPBJPBJPBJ:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:WooWooWooWooW ooWoo

SBK
Maybe he can move into his $500,000 car.

Adios puta.

DaneMcCloud
And we'd not only be losing a RB. We'd be losing our starter there.
When we still need a RT, at least 1 more starting LB, a starting Defensive End, and a starting WR? We may also need a new starter at Center if they don't believe in Niswanger.

The Chiefs are not going to adequately address all of their needs in one offseason.

Micjones
03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
The Chiefs are not going to adequately address all of their needs in one offseason.

That's reason to unload core pieces of your team?

bdeg
03-27-2009, 05:15 PM
LJ isn't core, he's near the end of his lifespan and a bad influence on the team.

EyePod
Dude, you're out of your mind. DV had LJ Pegged from day one. Larry owes everything to that line. LJ is a thug, punk ass douche bag. Plain and simple.

Really? How did he fucking average 4.5 ypc last year you fucking idiot?

Old Dog
Addition by subtraction

Iowanian
03-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Shonn Greene would be a steal if he's there in the third.

They sure haven't talked about him much in any draft discussions.

I'm not sure if its his age, injuries or 40 time, but he's not gotten any press since the end of season awards.

I don't think it will take a 3rd to get him.

Micjones
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
LJ isn't core, he's near the end of his lifespan and a bad influence on the team.

The guy can easily play three more productive seasons in the NFL.
Maybe more...

Hell that's more than half as long as most runningbacks even play in the NFL.

EyePod
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Herm did work LJ over, which has had an impact on him. But IMO, LJ's attitude has hurt his career more than that one season. Sure sounded like LJ's attitude was a primary contributor to LJ not seeing more field time while DV was here.

Where are you pulling this out of? He's done really well whenever he's on the field. He f'ed up off the field, appologized, and hasn't done anything since. I say if he screws up again, he's done. Right now, this is the first time he's asked for forgiveness and no one will give it to him. I hope your god acts the same as you do when you go to church this weekend. If I were your god, you'd be going to hell asswipe.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 05:18 PM
That's reason to unload core pieces of your team?

You and I have not been even close to being on the same page in regards to Larry Johnson this off-season.

I've said it time and time again: The guy is worth maybe a 6th round conditional pick. He's nearly 30 years old, he had four outstanding court dates (that number has been reduced), he's publicly stated not once, but twice that he wants out and in all honesty, he hasn't been part of the "core" you speak of since 2006.

He's a cancer, he doesn't want to be in KC and he's far from a loyal Chief.

Get rid of him asap. He's worthless to the new regime.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
The guy can easily play three more productive seasons in the NFL.
Maybe more...

Hell that's more than half as long as most runningbacks even play in the NFL.
I give LJ 2 years max at the top of his game, and we won't be any good before then.

As for Greene, Iowanian after his 4.5 at the proday a lot of people have been saying 2nd round again.

Greene's numbers were actually REALLY good, and when you watch him play I can't help but think his style transfers perfectly. I hope we get him. If he goes to a team with a good OL he's going to be a priority in my fantasy draft.

EyePod
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Maybe he can move into his $500,000 car.

Adios puta.

I kind of remember DT pulling a similar dick move with a really expensive car, and he had a fucking commercial and no one is talking about that. You have to realize how much money he has compared to players 10 years ago. LJ fucked up, apologized, and played like a beast last season once he got in. Give him a break.

EyePod
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM

It would help by not adding to those needs and keeping a really great RB (who ran behind fucking Damion McIntosh last season and had an amazing 4.5 YPC).

EyePod
03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
You and I have not been even close to being on the same page in regards to Larry Johnson this off-season.

I've said it time and time again: The guy is worth maybe a 6th round conditional pick. He's nearly 30 years old, he had four outstanding court dates (that number has been reduced), he's publicly stated not once, but twice that he wants out and in all honesty, he hasn't been part of the "core" you speak of since 2006.

Quite honestly, you're a moron. He led the team in rushing last season! He almost broke 1000 yards in 12 games!! If you look at his production and put it over 16 games, it's 1165 yards. Really good year behind one of the worst lines in the NFL, especially when you consider the ****ing RT Sackintosh.

Oh, but he isn't part of the core....

Micjones
03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I've said it time and time again: The guy is worth maybe a 6th round conditional pick.

That's ridiculous.
He's worth more than a 6th Round pick because he can still play at a high level in this league. I'm fairly confident he's going to prove that after foolishly being cut by this organization.

I think with the way his off-the-field problems have shaken out (pleading to a lesser charge and coming away with probation) those issues won't be as serious to a team standing in need of immediate help at RB.

I think this stuff about him being a cancer is a bit overstated.
I really do. He's obviously not happy here, but to say he's tearing this lockerroom apart is a bit much for me. We've seen no evidence of that.

And again, that's even more difficult to believe when I've seen other veteran players act in similarly curious ways. Players who previously had never done so (Waters).

A RB who can produce behind a decent Offensive Line is worthless?
Okay.

Micjones
03-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I give LJ 2 years max at the top of his game, and we won't be any good before then.

I don't buy that for one second.
I really don't. I think he can give you three more productive seasons with no problem at all.

And beyond that he could probably be a situational player who can help a football team.

You can't seriously believe he'll be done with football in another 2 years can you?

bdeg
03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I said at the top of his game.

Regardless, I hope we trade rather than cut him.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Quite honestly, you're a moron. He led the team in rushing last season! He almost broke 1000 yards in 12 games!! If you look at his production and put it over 16 games, it's 1165 yards. Really good year behind one of the worst lines in the NFL, especially when you consider the ****ing RT Sackintosh.

Oh, but he isn't part of the core....

JFC.

He's hasn't been a "team player" since then. I NEVER said he wasn't productive.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 05:45 PM
It would help by not adding to those needs and keeping a really great RB (who ran behind fucking Damion McIntosh last season and had an amazing 4.5 YPC).

A "really great running back" who's publicly stated twice that he wants out of Kansas City.

Great. :shake:

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 05:48 PM
That's ridiculous.
He's worth more than a 6th Round pick because he can still play at a high level in this league. I'm fairly confident he's going to prove that after foolishly being cut by this organization.

He may be a productive player for someone next season but he's not the type of player that the Chiefs new regime want around their youth.

YOU say he's worth more than a 6th round pick, yet players like Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander were set free because they weren't worth any compensation.

I don't buy it. And if the Chiefs just let him walk, that means no one else bought it, either.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Quite honestly, you're a moron. He led the team in rushing last season! He almost broke 1000 yards in 12 games!!

No, he did not.

He had 874 yards in 12 games. That's in no way, shape or form "nearly" 1,000 yards.

If you take away his 198 yard game against Denver, he averaged 61.5 yards a game.

Over 16 games, that's 984 yards.

That's hardly irreplaceable.

soundmind
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I say we trade him for a football. One football.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
No, he did not.

He had 874 yards in 12 games. That's in no way, shape or form "nearly" 1,000 yards.

If you take away his 198 yard game against Denver, he averaged 61.5 yards a game.

Over 16 games, that's 984 yards.

That's hardly irreplaceable.

Yes, 4.5 YPC RBs fall out of trees.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Take away the Denver game and it's 4 YPC.

Are you implying that Larry Johnson is the greatest running back ever?

I know you have a huge man-crush on him but WTF? He's dickhead with emotional issues that has no business on this football team.

The "great" Kolby Smith averaged 4.6 YPC against the "daunted" Tampa Bay defense last year.

BFD.

Bwana
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Take the money back and kick his sorry ass to the street.

soundmind
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM

They do fall out of trees, whining, crying the whole way down.

Then apparently, they disenfranchise the entire fanbase, and stop briefly to hit the drunk nightclub scene to spit on some girls faces.....and lay their hands on some more.

He did fall out of a tree. He has not progressed to human from ape. I'm surprised he sort of forms sentences.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Take away the Denver game and it's 4 YPC.

Take away the Carolina, Oakland and Cincinnati games and it's up to almost 4.7 YPC.

I can play that game, too.

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Take away the Carolina, Oakland and Cincinnati games and it's up to almost 4.7 YPC.

I can play that game, too.

That's ridiculous.

If it hadn't been for the Denver game, his stats would have absolutely been average. The Denver game skewed his numbers for the year.

If you want to do it correctly, you throw out the highest game and the lowest game of the year. That'll give you the best picture possible.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
If you want to do it correctly, you throw out the highest game and the lowest game of the year. That'll give you the best picture possible.

No, it doesn't.

You tossed out his best 28 carries.

I tossed out his worst 29.

That'll give you the best picture possible.

4.7 YPC

philfree
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
That's ridiculous.

If it hadn't been for the Denver game, his stats would have absolutely been average. The Denver game skewed his numbers for the year.

That's the way i'd do it!

PhilFree:arrow:

DaneMcCloud
03-27-2009, 06:19 PM
No, it doesn't.

You tossed out his best 28 carries.

I tossed out his worst 29.

That'll give you the best picture possible.

4.7 YPC

Apparently, you do not understand statistics.

You threw out THREE entire games. I took out one, to prove a point.

He was no where near 1,000 yards rushing for 12 games and minus the Denver game, he only rushed for 676 yards, a 61.5 yard per game average.

He's clearly not the same player he was before. And his future is not in Kansas City.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 06:20 PM
You threw out THREE entire games. I took out one, to prove a point.

You threw out 28 carries.

I threw out 29.

That's fair. An entire game's worth of carries on both ends.

Using "YPG" as a measuring stick is absurd. Consider the offense we ran.

philfree
03-27-2009, 06:23 PM
That's the way i'd do it!

Well I'd hrow thebest and worst games measured by yards per game and then I'd add up the yards from the other games and divide them by the number of carries. That's just me.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Where are you pulling this out of? He's done really well whenever he's on the field. He f'ed up off the field, appologized, and hasn't done anything since. I say if he screws up again, he's done. Right now, this is the first time he's asked for forgiveness and no one will give it to him. I hope your god acts the same as you do when you go to church this weekend. If I were your god, you'd be going to **** ******.

What is up with this place this week? Read what I said and quit reading a bunch of junk into it that I didn't say.

Dude, it is no secret about DV and LJ. DV made comments to the media about LJ taking off the diaper.

WHERE DID I SAY LJ COULDN'T BE FORGIVEN??? Where was that even at in my post??? I said I thought his his attitude over his career has been a bigger factor in the amount of success he's had throughout his career. When LJ had played the best is when he was angry. DV understood this and kept him irritated. Not saying DV was right or wrong in keeping LJ stirred, but when LJ was (and still is) running mad, he's just about unstoppable. With DV, I believe LJ's lockerroom and practice attitude kept him from seeing more time (thus the diaper comments as well as others he made). Since the 400+ carry season and his big contract, I haven't seen the same drive on the field game in and game out, no more running over players and breaking 3-4 tackles. He's not mad, he's content, he's partying, again, attitude.

Not to mention, now he's making a big stink about wanting out of KC. Again attitude.

Like I said, IMO his attitude has had more affect on him throughout his career than the 400+ carries. You have a problem with that fine, lets see some stats or rational to backup your stance instead of a bunch of trash talk.

OtisJohnson
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Of course there was the Miami game where he was averaging 9 ypc and we only give him the ball 12 times . Give it to him 30 times = monster game . Or the Buffalo game where he averaged 11.6 ypc and we only give it to him 7 times ..... He has carried it 1243 times for 5638 yards which = 4.5 ypc for his entire career . Rushing and receiving combined he has averaged 101 yards per game for his entire 68 game career . Yep backs like that are a dime a dozen ..... What the hell lets cut him so he can rush for 200 yards a game against us twice a year .....

bdeg
03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Of course there was the Miami game where he was averaging 9 ypc and we only give him the ball 12 times . Give it to him 30 times = monster game . Or the Buffalo game where he averaged 11.6 ypc and we only give it to him 7 times ..... He has carried it 1243 times for 5638 yards which = 4.5 ypc for his entire career . Rushing and receiving combined he has averaged 101 yards per game for his entire 68 game career . Yep backs like that are a dime a dozen ..... What the hell lets cut him so he can rush for 200 yards a game against us twice a year .....
Clearly still productive.

I can't tell you how many more games we would've won had we used him effectively.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Herm is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise. And that INCLUDES Carl Peterson.

I can definately agree with you on this one.

The line was a problem, but Roaf retiring like he did sure didn't help - that would have caused a good coach some problems. But the OL wasn't the only problem. The playcalling was so predictable that in game threads people would say BEFORE the offensive series it would be run, run, pass, punt. The whole offensive philosophy Herm brought in just killed this team.

wild1
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
The kind of man who would hit a woman couldn't get a job shining shoes for me.

Hopefully this piece of human debris is on his way out of town.

Delano
03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
If the grievance ends satisfactorily for the Chiefs and they aren't responsible for Larry's salary going forward they will obviously cut him.

But where does that put them as far as the salary cap floor? It seems like they were having difficulty spending that money without Larry's money off the books.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 08:52 PM
We haven't signed draft picks yet. And as teams sign those and have to trim rosters going through TC there will be more quality players available.

cabletech94
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
RIP LJ!!!!!
You gave us a couple fun years to hope for. Hopefully we can get a 7th outta ya.
Or maybe a pizza.

KcFanInGA
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Im gonna be pissed if they boot em. period.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
He's worth a 4th to most teams, maybe a high 3rd to a desperate team.

Chiefnj2
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Release him? Can't they trade him? I'd think a back that can easily put up 1,300 yards would be worth a 4th round pick.

Delano
03-27-2009, 09:01 PM
He's worth a 4th to most teams, maybe a high 3rd to a desperate team.

I don't know about a third. I mean, you can get a good RB with very little mileage for a percentage of the LJ asking price and hopefully no off-field issues.

bdeg
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
A 3rd is asking a lot. But he's still a top 10 rb

maybe not long-term, but as far as current production is concerned

a desperate team would have to be in a win-now mode, but those are getting fewer in the NFL

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
At issue is $3.75 million of guaranteed money Johnson is due from the Chiefs in the contract extension he signed in August 2007. Generally, NFL salaries are not guaranteed, but Johnson's contract calls for payments of $3.5 million this year and $250,000 in 2010 that the Chiefs must pay regardless of whether he plays for them.

The Chiefs claim the one-game suspension he received from the NFL last year for violating the league's personal-conduct policy is a breach of his contract and frees them from having to pay the guaranteed money.

This portion of the article leads me to believe that unless the contract is voided, even if the Chiefs trade LJ, they will have to pay the guaranteed bonuses to LJ.

So basically what it sounds like to me, if the Chiefs don't win the grievance they have to pay the guarantees totaling 3.75 mil. and LJ is still under contract and they can trade him if they want. If they win the grievance LJ's contact is voided and he's free to walk and we can't trade a player that is not under contract.

Looks like the Chiefs are contending that LJ broke the contract - if they win, I would assume that means their contention that LJ broke the contract will mean that there is no longer a contract between LJ and the Chiefs and he is free to walk.

Actually, I am surprised that if he wants out as bad as he makes it sound, that he doesn't just concede the money and let them terminate him. Surely he'll get that much in the form of a signing bonus and first year salary with another team.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 10:00 PM
So today, Johnson pleaded guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace (http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1110123.html), charges stemming from last year's arrests. He was sentenced to two years' probation, and under its terms he cannot be caught drinking in public or be seen in any Kansas City bars. He's said before that he's sorry and that he's vowed to change his bad habits.

wow

whoman69
03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
It may seem very easy to find top running backs in the NFL now, but how many teams don't have one? The Chiefs have a poor history at running back. We went close to a decade without a 1000 yard rusher in a 16 game season after Barry Word. I wouldn't give much for the mutts we had sandwiched between Ed Podolak and Christian Okoye and again from Barry Word to Priest Holmes. We've been pretty set this decade until Larry got run into the ground and now everybody thinks we can just put another young stud in and it is a sure fire no miss scenario. Herm ran LJ into the ground the same as he ran the team into the ground.

Count Zarth
03-27-2009, 10:26 PM
It may seem very easy to find top running backs in the NFL now, but how many teams don't have one? The Chiefs have a poor history at running back. We went close to a decade without a 1000 yard rusher in a 16 game season after Barry Word. I wouldn't give much for the mutts we had sandwiched between Ed Podolak and Christian Okoye and again from Barry Word to Priest Holmes. We've been pretty set this decade until Larry got run into the ground and now everybody thinks we can just put another young stud in and it is a sure fire no miss scenario. Herm ran LJ into the ground the same as he ran the team into the ground.

That's exactly how I feel.

We have taken Larry for granted.

PastorMikH
03-27-2009, 10:43 PM
...and again from Barry Word to Priest Holmes.

I don't think I'd consider Marcus a mutt. He may have been on the downside of his career, he may have not hit 1k rushing, but he did put up over 1k yards from scrimmage in 4 out of 5 years, he picked up a lot of short-yardage first downs and managed to account for 49 TDs while he was here.

HIChief
03-28-2009, 01:47 AM

That would be Jacksonville. How that postage stamp of a city rates an NFL frachise is beyond me.

Crush
03-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Oh God, how will we ever replace the great LJ?

How will we ever replace his patented "run into the line, trip, and fall for a 2 yard loss" technique?

How will we ever replace his non-existent pass blocking?

How will we ever replace his wining?

Oh God, why does the great LJ have to be banished from these lands?

milkman
03-28-2009, 07:40 AM

It's amazing how one spectacular playoff game can elevate a player's stature.

Ed Podolak was a versatile scrub.

He averaged less than 100 yards per game rushing and recieving combined.

the Talking Can
03-28-2009, 07:46 AM
pittsburgh and arizona called....they said, "you can't be successful with out an alcoholic faux-gangster who likes to beat up women at RB.........[snicker]......"

Noss
03-28-2009, 08:04 AM

How will we ever replace his patented "run into the line, trip, and fall for a 2 yard loss" technique?

How will we ever replace his non-existent pass blocking?

How will we ever replace his wining?

Oh God, why does the great LJ have to be banished from these lands?

By picking a RB in the 5th to 7th round.

Marco Polo
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Shonn Greene in the 3rd. Bank it!

htismaqe
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Shonn Greene in the 3rd. Bank it!

Not sure he'll last that long now. He apparently had an excellent pro day.

TEX
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM

This

PastorMikH
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Our 2008 backup RB got more YPC than LJ did behind the same OL.

Our 2009 backup QB got more YPC than LJ did last year behind the same OL.

Looks like we'll be lost without LJ.

Count Zarth
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Our 2008 backup RB got more YPC than LJ did behind the same OL.

Our 2009 backup QB got more YPC than LJ did last year behind the same OL.

Looks like we'll be lost without LJ.

Fewer carries is usually going to amount in greater YPC, especially if the back is worth a shit at ALL.

In Charles' case he ran so many draws and plays in long-yardage situations his YPC was higher by default.

tonyetony
03-28-2009, 12:11 PM
The fact that LJ hasn't flapped his yapper since the Bengals game and is quietly showing up for voluntary workouts is an indication to me that he's trying to do little PR to make himself more tradable. To late ass-hat everyone knows your a cancerous POS whose distractions will always far outweigh your contributions.

Count Zarth
03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
LJ flapped his yapper on the radio, but has been quiet since.

Chiefaholic
03-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Personally, I'm SICK of all the drama... If he'de keep his mouth shut and play like he USED to befor signing his huge contract, then keep him. If he's going to play like he has no ambition now that he's been paid, and keeps running his mouth to the media, then trade him for the best offer on the table. I'm fed up with all these overpaid crybabies that bitch and moan about playing under a contract that THEY signed while making MILLIONS of dollars doing what I did for free back in high school.