PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Which Matt do you take?

confused
03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Ryan or Cassell? To build your team upon. The Falcons are my favorite team, and the Chiefs are my dads favorite team, so we thought we'd bring this argument to the boards.

milkman
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Matt Ryan, and it ain't even close.

doomy3
03-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Uhh, Ryan.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Cassel, but this really isn't even an argument.

SNR
03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
FalconsPlanet? I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque

confused
03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Uhh, Ryan.

And I'm a pretty big fan of Cassel, but this really isn't even an argument.

Lees Summit eh?, that's where I call home.

and thanks, my dad is a huge homer, but I was dumbfounded when he made the argument of Cassell over Ryan.

confused
03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
FalconsPlanet? I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque
yeah yeah, probably should have had my dad post this on his account, but I had to end the argument.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Matt Ryan....

Cassell blows in comparison...

SNR
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah yeah, probably should have had my dad post this on his account, but I had to end the argument.Not a problem.

By the way, the correct answer is Matt Ryan.

milkman
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
yeah yeah, probably should have had my dad post this on his account, but I had to end the argument.

Does your dad post here?

jAZ
03-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Right now, Matt Ryan, no debate. That's subject to possible debate once we see more from Cassell here. But right now, there is no room for debate.

The Bad Guy
03-28-2009, 10:54 AM
This is about as awful as a question as I've seen.

Ryan.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Are you trying to force us to say nasty things about your father? Because that's what this question deserves.

I'm not biting.

RJ
03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Obviously, your dad is a True Fan.

Ryan.

chiefs1111
03-28-2009, 01:17 PM

This

DaWolf
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Ryan is the answer today and probably tomorrow. But both guys have played one season, so we'll see what the long range answer is. But what Ryan did as a rookie was pretty damn impressive...

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Millen.

tonyetony
03-28-2009, 01:27 PM
This is the easiest question in the world after considering the Thigpen vs. Cassel debate that most Chiefs fans have pondered lately.

Obvious answer- Ryan.

aturnis
03-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I'll tell ya this time next year. Although Ryan is younger with more upside, his numbers really weren't all too impressive this year.

DaWolf
03-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Of course most of us would have probably taken a hell of a lot of other running backs over Priest Holmes as well when we first signed him, and we Chiefs fans were pondering questions like Holmes or TRich. So offseason speculation is great, but pretty pointless most of the time...

Chiefaholic
03-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Judging based upon age and most upside, Ryan hands down.....

ChiefsCountry
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Stafford. :)

Pablo
03-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Millen.This.

DaWolf
03-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Judging based upon age and most upside, Ryan hands down.....

Just taking the devil's advocate point of view for a moment, I wouldn't say age is a major decider here, there's only a three year difference between the two. Upside is another interesting issue because most of the draft reports last year said that Ryan was the most polished and ready to play of the QB's coming in, but probably had the least upside of those guys (with Flacco having the upside advantage). So we've still got to see how much of an upward curve Ryan is going to display. Cassel is a guy whose upside potential is definitely there as well, but no one knows how much he will be able to improve. They're both the same height, Cassel is a bit bigger weightwise. Cassel had the better team around him, but Ryan had Michael Turner and better protection from his OL. Both guys faced some weaker defensive teams last year as part of their schedule. Ryan did seem to fade a bit down the stretch, while Cassel appeared to get better. It'll be interesting to see if the league adjusts to Ryan year two or if he stays ahead of the curve, and same for Cassel...

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 02:46 PM

This.

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Mike Vick a close 2nd.

Kyle DeLexus
03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Stafford. :)

This

Pioli Zombie
03-28-2009, 03:48 PM
This time last year the one worry I had about the Patriots was if Brady went down and I was hoping the Patriots would draft Ryan because like everyone else I didn't believe Cassel was a legit backup. I was wrong about Cassel but I still have to go with Matt Ryan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Ryan

Mecca
03-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Its easily Ryan...although lets ponder if you put Ryan in this class there is serious debate on whether he'd be the 1st QB taken.

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
This time last year the one worry I had about the Patriots was if Brady went down and I was hoping the Patriots would draft Ryan because like everyone else I didn't believe Cassel was a legit backup. I was wrong about Cassel but I still have to go with Matt Ryan.
Posted via Mobile Device

you wanted the Patriots to draft Matt Ryan?

ROFL

Jethopper
03-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Cassell. Put anyone in the NFC and they are going to look good.

Jethopper
03-28-2009, 04:27 PM
However, I still will never know how he passed on all of those dominate NFC south defenses.

tboss27
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM

No way. I love the Cassel trade, but there's no way any GM would take him over Ryan

Mecca
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM

That whole AFC is so much better than NFC thing is done now....

Pioli Zombie
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM
you wanted the Patriots to draft Matt Ryan?

ROFL

Yeah it really wrecked the 49ers to have Montana and Young. Besides its about value. If they had Ryan last year maybe they go 12-4 last year and when they traded him they would have got a #1 back.
You draft for value. Now NOBODY knew Cassel would turn out as good as he did and as it turned out Mayo was the right pick. But had Cassel not been good the Patriots would have been 7-9 last year

Once again proof that the Patriots know what they are doing more than any fan does.
Posted via Mobile Device

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah it really wrecked the 49ers to have Montana and Young. Besides its about value. If they had Ryan last year maybe they go 12-4 last year and when they traded him they would have got a #1 back.
You draft for value. Now NOBODY knew Cassel would turn out as good as he did and as it turned out Mayo was the right pick. But had Cassel not been good the Patriots would have been 7-9 last year

Once again proof that the Patriots know what they are doing more than any fan does.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is an entirely different era than the Young/Montana 49ers era...

When you have Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning...you're not taking a QB with a top 10 pick. You take high potential guys that are total project players like Kevin O'Connell...

You don't invest $25M guaranteed in a QB that is an insurance policy.

And you don't draft someone in the top 10 simply to trade him the next year...the cap hit would be HUGE.

The Patriots DO know what they are doing...which is why they would never have drafted Matt Ryan in a million years...unless he was on the board in the 3rd round.

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Also this.

Young was deemed a bust and traded to the San Francisco 49ers on April 24, 1987, to serve as a backup to Joe Montana. The Buccaneers received 2nd and 4th round draft picks in the trade.

So comparing Young/Montana to a potential Brady/Matt Ryan is just...stupid.

Pioli Zombie
03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Also this.

Young was deemed a bust and traded to the San Francisco 49ers on April 24, 1987, to serve as a backup to Joe Montana. The Buccaneers received 2nd and 4th round draft picks in the trade.

CP can be such a breath of fresh air sometimes.

Fuck your mother, Hootie
Posted via Mobile Device

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Well that was far from nice.

KCChiefsMan
03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
This

that

Halfcan
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
A Final Four would be nice.

Halfcan
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
whoops wrong thread-Go Mizzou!

Pioli Zombie
03-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Well that was far from nice.

Well neither is people constantly calling people stupid and retards on here

Matt Ryan played at BC so I got to see him quite a bit. To me he was always going to be a great NFL qb. Not like Matt Stafford or anything. I had no doubts about how good this kid was and when a qb like that is available he has tremendous value. Sure its not a traditiona choice but when you can add that kind of value to your team you throw out positions. And remember prior to last season the Patriots had one place of vunerabiloity. An injury to Tom Brady. Anyone else they could still win a SB but if Brady went down it all went down.

And I am in agreement with everyone else that I would rather have Ryan than Cassel.

Sorry if I'm a bit touchy today, I don't think it merits being called stupid for wanting a talent like Matt Ryan on your 53 man roster.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Well neither is people constantly calling people stupid and retards on here

Matt Ryan played at BC so I got to see him quite a bit. To me he was always going to be a great NFL qb. Not like Matt Stafford or anything. I had no doubts about how good this kid was and when a qb like that is available he has tremendous value. Sure its not a traditiona choice but when you can add that kind of value to your team you throw out positions. And remember prior to last season the Patriots had one place of vunerabiloity. An injury to Tom Brady. Anyone else they could still win a SB but if Brady went down it all went down.

And I am in agreement with everyone else that I would rather have Ryan than Cassel.

Sorry if I'm a bit touchy today, I don't think it merits being called stupid for wanting a talent like Matt Ryan on your 53 man roster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hootiginer is someone who only looks as what will it do for you now not for the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Hootiginer is someone who only looks as what will it do for you now not for the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn you drafturbator!

Just Passin' By
03-28-2009, 07:08 PM
This is an excellent question, and it's one that probably doesn't have a 'right' answer right now because both quarterbacks face a lot of questions this season. A lot of it boils down to whether or not the Matt Cassel of the second half of the season is the real deal.

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Damn you drafturbator!

???

Because drafting Matt Ryan with a top 10 pick when you already have Tom Brady is logical? And something the Patriots would do?

Sweet...you get a top 10 QB that is awesome that can sit on the bench for 9 years while Brady finishes his career! Yaaaay.

Count Alex's Losses
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Honestly? Cassel and Ryan have similar accuracy and arm strength. Cassel appears to have a stronger body and is more mobile. You might give the edge to Ryan on his sheer pedigree...he didn't have to work out of the shotgun as much as Cassel. But I wouldn't say there's a huge difference.

Chief Faithful
03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Ryan, and in my mind its not even close.

StcChief
03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
FalconsPlanet? I must have taken a wrong turn at AlbuquerqueROFL so what's up with Ron Mexico.....

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Honestly? Cassel and Ryan have similar accuracy and arm strength. Cassel appears to have a stronger body and is more mobile. You might give the edge to Ryan on his sheer pedigree...he didn't have to work out of the shotgun as much as Cassel. But I wouldn't say there's a huge difference.

I wouldnt give you a pile of dogshit for Matt Mitchell, I mean Scott Cassel, or whoever this dickweed is.....

I would trade Aaron "weak impact" Curry and our whole front 7 for the rights to Matt Ryan...

doomy3
03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I wouldnt give you a pile of dogshit for Matt Mitchell, I mean Scott Cassel, or whoever this dickweed is.....

I would trade Aaron "weak impact" Curry and our whole front 7 for the rights to Matt Ryan...

Exaggerate much?

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Exaggerate much?

Nope....

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 11:21 PM

The new name is much more fitting, congrats =)

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:22 PM
The new name is much more fitting, congrats =)

You can fuck off and die Hootie....

Manila-Chief
03-28-2009, 11:23 PM
When I first read the OP ... I was going to vote Ryan ... but, neither have proved they can do it over the long haul. Either or both can be "one year wonders." Just because Cassel was passed over as a starter doesn't mean he does not have talent. The jury is still out. (Note: I'm not saying he will be great ... just that it is possible as well as it's possible for Ryan to be just an average QB.)

Also this.

It, also, illustrates the importance of coaching to developing a QB. IMHO Walsh was one of the best in getting the best out of his QB's. Makes one wonder if better coaching would help many of the QB's???

This is an excellent question, and it's one that probably doesn't have a 'right' answer right now because both quarterbacks face a lot of questions this season. A lot of it boils down to whether or not the Matt Cassel of the second half of the season is the real deal.

You expressed my thoughts. Excellent QB's has more to do with intangibles than raw talent. We'll need to wait at least a couple of years to guage Cassel. Just because he was not given a chance to start does not mean he doesn't have the ability to become great. It will be interesting to see how Cassel does with our talent.

This!!!! As the other Ryan (Leaf) proved ... it's not about pedigree.

I think all Chief fans hope Cassel becomes one of the best QB's but at this point it's only a guessing/wishing game.

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
You can **** off and die Hootie....

No hard feelings, Reetard.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:30 PM
No hard feelings, Reetard.

None what so ever.... You can kill yourself (/Hamas) and I wouldnt give a rats ass! :D

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 11:38 PM
None what so ever.... You can kill yourself (/Hamas) and I wouldnt give a rats ass! :D

Take it easy, Reetard. It's going to be ok.