PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Pitino and Calipari both refuse to deny they are leaving

jAZ
03-28-2009, 10:06 AM
On Thursday, Rick Pitino was asked about the rumors of him going to Arizona. He responded by refusing to say he wouldn't leave:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/03/28/2009-03-28_pitino_dances_around_arizona_rumors.html

"I wouldn't answer any other job because it would be disrespectful to the University of Louisville," Pitino said when asked about his interest in a job that he has been linked to since Lute Olson retired last October. "Any time a coach says he's not interested in a job, he's dead interested in a job. So you know, I don't mislead you. All I can say to you is for eight years I've given every ounce I've had to the University of Louisville. I will continue to do that."

"The only job I've thought about for a 24-hour period since I've been at the University of Louisville was Providence College last year," said the 56-year-old Pitino. "Because of the personal things I went through at Providence, I wanted to sit down and talk with them about the job to see if I did want to come back because of personal reasons that were very deep to me. I sat down with them and realized Louisville was the place for me. Outside of that, for eight years, I haven't thought about any job except the University of Louisville, and that's answering you the honest way."

Then on Friday, Calipari used nearly the same sort of carefully chosen non-answer when he was asked about Kentucky:

My transcription from video below:

Reporter: "kentucky, the rumors are already starting to fly, can you comment on that?".

Cal: "no, I want to be here, this is where I want to coach, my name will be tied to every job that's open, our fans have gotten used to it, but I'm so tired... (avoids followup questions by moving quickly away from the topic)"

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" width="320" height="280" data="http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/video/videoplayer.swf"><param value="http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/video/videoplayer.swf" name="movie"/><param value="&skin=MP1ExternalAll-MFL.swf&embed=true&adSrc=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fadx%2Ftsg%2Ewhbq%2Fsports%3Bdcmt%3Dtext%2Fxml%3Bpos%3D%3 Btile%3D2%3Bsz%3D320x240%3Bord%3D179470494570669500%3Frand%3D0%2E4700383021185513&flv=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyfoxmemphis%2Ecom%2Ffeeds%2FoutboundFeed%3FobfType%3DVIDEO%5FPLAYER%5FSMIL%5 FFEED%26componentId%3D121884300&img=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia2%2Emyfoxmemphis%2Ecom%2F%2Fphoto%2F2009%2F03%2F27%2F032709%5Fcal%5Ftmb0000%5F 20090327202100422%5F640%5F480%2EJPG&story=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyfoxmemphis%2Ecom%2Fdpp%2Fsports%2F032709%5FCoach%5FCal%5FIm%5FNot%5FGoing %5Fto%5FKentucky" name="FlashVars"/><param value="all" name="allowNetworking"/><param value="always" name="allowScriptAccess"/></object>

Compare both of those to Billy Donovan's response, which was a bit more direct and certain:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-03-27-donovan-florida_N.htm

"In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible, " Donovan's statement said. "I am committed to the University of Florida and look forward to continuing to build our program here."

UK moved on after that, and Grant accepted the Alabama job, which was the final evidence that there will be no BD at UK.

Pitino and Calipari are trying not talk about their interest in leaving UM and UL, but they don't want to lie either. Both are doing a good job of hiding it, while leaving the door open. Something Les Miles couldn't find a way to do right before the national championship game.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I doubt he goes, but I see nothing in his statement thsat would preclude Donovan from leaving UF. His statement is just as carefully worded as the others.

And for all the talk about Grant not taking Bama , for now the UF job isn't open. Not everyone wants to return "home" (see Bill Self).

eazyb81
03-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Eh, they're both doing the smart thing.

By not flatly denying interest they are setting themselves up for a nice raise.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I doubt he goes, but I see nothing in his statement thsat would preclude Donovan from leaving UF. His statement is just as carefully worded as the others.

And for all the talk about Grant not taking Bama , for now the UF job isn't open. Not everyone wants to return "home" (see Bill Self).
BD is the only one who made a commitment to their current school. And did so in a formal, statement. And Grant waited until after this statement to accept the Alabama job. In the world of anything could change, BD could end up at UK still, but his response was a different sort all together from both Pitino and Cal.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Eh, they're both doing the smart thing.

By not flatly denying interest they are setting themselves up for a nice raise.

That's always part of the story, no doubt.

nychief
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
travis ford is getting the uk job.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
The Wildcat Delusion, by Richard Dawkins

BREAKING: John Wooden has refused to deny that he is leaving. I saw him on TV and he said something about how great his teams in the 70s were, and you could see in his eyes that he was strongly considering the Arizona job!

Also, someone on an internet forum took a quote out of context, so you can pretty much bank it.

John Calipari insists Memphis 'is where I want to coach'
By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Friday, March 27, 2009

Now that the last game of the University of Memphis basketball season has been played, attention immediately shifts to the annual speculation about the future of coach John Calipari.

Calipari, who just completed his ninth season with the Tigers, told a group of reporters at Wilson Air Center today that Memphis is “where I want to coach.”

Meanwhile, multiple sources close to the Memphis program told The Commercial Appeal that athletic director R.C. Johnson has been working in recent weeks to secure funding for additional years and dollars to redo a contract that pays Calipari $2.35 million annually. Calipari also has an annuity that averages $1 million per year over the course of his current deal, which runs through 2013.

Yet that won’t stop Calipari’s name from being linked to openings around the country, most prominently at the University of Kentucky, which fired Billy Gillispie today. Another major program looking for a coach is the University of Arizona, where Calipari could also pop up on a speculative list of candidates.

“When we win, and everybody loves to win, players go to the pros, and there are people that will come at me,” Calipari said Thursday night after his team’s 102-91 loss to Missouri in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16. “That’s just how it is. I’m happy, happy with the program, happy with the people. I love Memphis. And like I said, I just need to kick back and hide from everybody for a couple days.”
. . .
The comfort level of Calipari’s family is also important. His second daughter, Megan, is a freshman at the U of M.

“I want to be here,” Calipari said today. “This is where I want to coach, and my name will be tied to every job that’s open, and our fans I think have gotten used to it.”

- Arizona will almost certainly try to gauge the interest of Calipari, Pitino and Izzo (they probably already have). But as I wrote in today’s paper, the group of schools who can put a better deal in front of Calipari than what he has at Memphis is extremely small. To this point, the contract numbers Arizona has thrown around don’t come close.

wild1
03-28-2009, 11:05 AM
eh, they listen to an offer and then take the offer to their AD, get it matched. It's like an automatic raise.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2009, 11:07 AM
BD is the only one who made a commitment to their current school. And did so in a formal, statement. And Grant waited until after this statement to accept the Alabama job. In the world of anything could change, BD could end up at UK still, but his response was a different sort all together from both Pitino and Cal.

All I can say to you is for eight years I've given every ounce I've had to the University of Louisville. I will continue to do that."

Cal: "no, I want to be here (Memphis), this is where I want to coach

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:08 AM
All I can say to you is for eight years I've given every ounce I've had to the University of Louisville. I will continue to do that." But they could both be lying!

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
But they could both be lying!

That's the point, they aren't lying. They are speaking in the present.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
That's the point, they aren't lying. They are speaking in the present.Do they mist the Tucson air with drugs, or something?

"I will continue to [give everything I have to Louisville]."

That's the present tense? He's going to continue giving everything he has... for another week?

"[Memphis] is where I want to coach."

Not much chance to do that if he's not here next season, is there?

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
This is exactly right...
- Arizona will almost certainly try to gauge the interest of Calipari, Pitino and Izzo (they probably already have). But as I wrote in today’s paper, the group of schools who can put a better deal in front of Calipari than what he has at Memphis is extremely small. To this point, the contract numbers Arizona has thrown around don’t come close.

The biggest hurdle anyone faces is that Memphis has created a contract structure that any athletic department with more than one sport as a priority (ie, every major BCS school) can't match.

Cal's has to (and was earlier in the year) willing to take less money.

Memphis has to over pay, no one else does.

Arizona will pay market rate, but not Memphis rate.

The UK opening changes the landscape for Cal->Arizona. No doubt.

But it's not a given that Cal is staying at Memphis. He's ready to leave, it comes down to the money involved and the program.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Cal's has to (and was earlier in the year) willing to take less money.Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Do they mist the Tucson air with drugs, or something?

"I will continue to [give everything I have to Louisville]."

That's the present tense? He's going to continue giving everything he has... for another week?
Yes, exactly. Maybe beyond, but definately for the next game +.

"[Memphis] is where I want to coach."

Not much chance to do that if he's not here next season, is there?
I want and I will are not the same thing. That's the point.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:21 AM
When you end up with Ricardo Patton or some shit, I'm going to laugh incredibly hard.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Tis true. That's not to say he's willing to go anywhere else for $1.

His deal is something like $4M/year when everything is factored in.

No one else pays that now. If Arizona or Kentucky can get to about $3M fully loaded, that's about where it needs to be. That's going to be really hard for Arizona to do, but we are at about $2.5M now. It might not match up, but it's not for an unwillingness by Cal to take the job here (or UK) or do to it for somewhat less money.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
When you end up with Ricardo Patton or some shit, I'm going to laugh incredibly hard.

The latest I have heard (and it's come and gone) is that Livengood is waiting on Pitino and Izzo. That we haven't (formally) contacted Cal yet, because those are our top two and they are both playing.

The worst coach we will end up with is Reggie Theus. Fans would be very disappointed with that, but he was an NBA head coach and a success at UNM and a Pitino Asst. So he has the package to be a success. But he's not an elite coach at an elite school. We get him and you get to keep your $1.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
HANG TIME

http://j.photos.cx/theus-cd4.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Your backup plan is Reggie Theus?

I loved him when I was high school. Loved that UNLV team too. In that day, the only way to really follow teams was through SI or SPORT magazine. That team Had Glenn Gondrezik, Theus, and three guys with the last name of Smith. And Larry Mofett. I used to read their box scores that year. They scored 100 points 23 times that season.

They lost to a UNC team led by Walter Davis. It was a close game too. 88-87.. something like that. Probably one of the best Final Fours for character coaches. Al McGuire (Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, Jerome Whitehead), Tark, UNCC I don't remember their coach but they had Cornbread Maxwell and UNC had chain smoking Dean Smith.

Back to reality. Theus is the backup plan for Az?

jAZ
03-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Your backup plan is Reggie Theus?

I loved him when I was high school. Loved that UNLV team too. In that day, the only way to really follow teams was through SI or SPORT magazine. That team Had Glenn Gondrezik, Theus, and three guys with the last name of Smith. And Larry Mofett. I used to read their box scores that year. They scored 100 points 23 times that season.

They lost to a UNC team led by Walter Davis. It was a close game too. 88-87.. something like that. Probably one of the best Final Fours for character coaches. Al McGuire (Butch Lee, Bo Ellis, Jerome Whitehead), Tark, UNCC I don't remember their coach but they had Cornbread Maxwell and UNC had chain smoking Dean Smith.

Back to reality. Theus is the backup plan for Az?

He's campaigning for the job, so I assume he's the lowest we'll end up going.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Back to reality. Theus is the backup plan for Az?Only if they can't get Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, Wooden, Self, Roy Williams, or Phil Jackson.

ChiefsCountry
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Memphis is a better job than Arizona.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Only if they can't get Calipari, Pitino, Izzo, Wooden, Self, Roy Williams, or Phil Jackson.
its pitino, izzo, cal, few, dixon, pearl, capel and a few others.

dixon has huge buy out, but he has campaiged for the job for a couple yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ
03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
they are certainly the better program.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaWolf
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Calipari has made it the better job, not the other way around IMO. That conference is pathetic...

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
its pitino, izzo, cal, few, dixon, pearl, capel and a few others.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPxY8lpYAUM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FPxY8lpYAUM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ChiefsCountry
03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Calipari has made it the better job, not the other way around IMO. That conference is pathetic...

Memphis has always been good in basektball even before Calpari came. That conference isnt that bad either.

the Talking Can
03-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Pitino would kill at Arizona.

CHENZ A!
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm really hoping for Izzo personally, though I'd be happy with any of those 3. Arizona may not have the history that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Carolina, UCLA, Indiana, etc have, but in the last 25 yrs very few programs have been as successful.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Memphis has always been good in basektball even before Calpari came. That conference isnt that bad either.

That's what I think too. Before they were CUSA, it was the Metro conference and Memphis had Keith Lee, and a ton of great players. Just never could close the deal.

Losing "Ville, Cinci, DePaul, Marquette. Devastating stuff.

eazyb81
03-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm really hoping for Izzo personally, though I'd be happy with any of those 3. Arizona may not have the history that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Carolina, UCLA, Indiana, etc have, but in the last 25 yrs very few programs have been as successful.

No doubt, but it's tough to follow a legend, and it appears that most of the top candidates (Izzo, Pitino, Cal) are content with where they are.

We will see....

Short Leash Hootie
03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Memphis losing Calipari would be devastating. That would be the official end of that entire conference.

veist
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Is it bad that I kinda want to see Cal leave Memphis solely because I solely want to see the reaction/fallout from it? I feel like its probably at least kinda bad that I want to watch that schadenfreude.

Ultra Peanut
03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Is it bad that I kinda want to see Cal leave Memphis solely because I solely want to see the reaction/fallout from it? I feel like its probably at least kinda bad that I want to watch that schadenfreude.We would hire Mike Anderson. http://j.photos.cx/emot-ssh-ddc.gif

Mr. Plow
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Memphis losing Calipari would be devastating. That would be the official end of that entire conference.

Would anyone pay any attention to CUSA if it wasn't for Memphis?

BWillie
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
I like Rick Patino. I hate Calipari. He is an arrogant prick.

jAZ
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Tis true. That's not to say he's willing to go anywhere else for $1.

His deal is something like $4M/year when everything is factored in.

No one else pays that now. If Arizona or Kentucky can get to about $3M fully loaded, that's about where it needs to be. That's going to be really hard for Arizona to do, but we are at about $2.5M now. It might not match up, but it's not for an unwillingness by Cal to take the job here (or UK) or do to it for somewhat less money.

Update: The number required is $3.5M. Our budget is $2.5M, but want both Cal and Pitino want that plus a $5M up front bonus (=$3.5M/year for 5 years). That $5M plus buyouts is likely too much for us. We haven't been able to raise the $ yet.

I'll be pissed if our boosters can't get us there.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Stephen A. Smith just said he expects Cal to go to UK based on the info he's heard from insiders.

So, Memphis fans can feel safe now because that means Cal is going nowhere.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Some coach needs to move so the dominoes can start falling.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Some coach needs to move so the dominoes can start falling.

Pitino is done, Cal is done. Capel looks like he's going to be done too.

Talk has really heated up that Cal is going to UK. We can't compete with their money. So if they want him, we don't have a shot.

We haven't been told "no" by either Pitino or Cal yet.

With Izzo going on to next week, I think Arizona will know in the next 48 hours if we are getting our 1a or 1b options.

Everything pointed to Pitino going into this weekend. His loss helps expidite that discussion, thankfully.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Also heard that Donovan hasn't a completely closed door for UK either.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 04:19 PM
jAZ, have you heard any interest from Arizona in Rick Barnes? Seems like he'd be a perfect replacement for Lute.

I can't imagine he's thrilled being at Texas. Yes, he can recruit elite players, but he'll always be second fiddle to football.

Hell, they can barely draw 8000 fans a game.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
jAZ, have you heard any interest from Arizona in Rick Barnes? Seems like he'd be a perfect replacement for Lute.

I can't imagine he's thrilled being at Texas. Yes, he can recruit elite players, but he'll always be second fiddle to football.

Hell, they can barely draw 8000 fans a game.

Not a word, and I've always wondered about that. There is a bit of a rivalry/connection there. I've heard a lot of fans talk negatively about Barnes being a less than above-board in his recruiting. Chasing committed Arizona players, etc.

I don't know why he's not on the list (or if he is, why he's so far down). I think his results are pretty self-evident and I'd be happy with his hire, personally.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Talk has really heated up that Cal is going to UK.
Several sources saying that Cal is the next UK coach.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Did a friend of a friend of a friend of Pat Riley's tell you that, or are you getting it from Facebook?

Kentucky will try hard, and they won't get him. Arizona will try hard, and they won't get him. And the process will be repeated with Pitino and Izzo. Thank you for making those rich men richer.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Did a friend of a friend of a friend of Pat Riley's tell you that, or are you getting it from Facebook?

Kentucky will try hard, and they won't get him. Arizona will try hard, and they won't get him. And the process will be repeated with Pitino and Izzo. Thank you for making those rich men richer.

Actually, Pitino seems to be the #1 choice, and there might not be a #2.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 06:44 PM

How pissed would you be if Cal ended up at UK and Pitino at Arizona?

Saul Good
03-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Actually, Pitino seems to be the #1 choice, and there might not be a #2.

Calipari to Kentucky makes perfect sense. Nobody wants to live in Memphis, let alone coach there.

Pitino to Arizona makes no sense. That job would be a step down in prestige, money, conference, and tradition.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Ah, yes. Nothing says "quality of life" like KENTUCKY.

And certainly, a school which has been to Final Fours in three separate decades with three different coaches is totally tradition-deficient compared to Arizona's history consisting of Lute Olson and

Saul Good
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM

And certainly, a school which has been to Final Fours in three separate decades with three different coaches is totally tradition-deficient compared to Arizona's history consisting of Lute Olson and

How many championships has Memphis won? I don't know off hand whether it's more or less than the 7 won by Kentucky, but if I had to take a guess...

Arizona is a much better job than Memphis, but the money just isn't there.

veist
03-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Realistically assuming Cal just wants to get paid, Kentucky can outbid just about anyone so it is certainly possible. I'm not sure their interest in Cal is strong enough that they'd necessarily be willing to outbid Memphis for him though.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
How many championships has Memphis won? I don't know off hand whether it's more or less than the 7 won by Kentucky, but if I had to take a guess...

Arizona is a much better job than Memphis, but the money just isn't there.So the job is so great that they're not capable of paying as much as Memphis can. Rad.

And you were mentioning Arizona when it came to prestige and tradition; they have one more national championship and one more Final Four than Memphis, which is a margin that Cal is more than capable of erasing and surpassing in Memphis over the next few years.

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
So the job is so great that they're not capable of paying as much as Memphis can. Rad.

And you were mentioning Arizona when it came to prestige and tradition; they have one more national championship and one more Final Four than Memphis, which is a margin that Cal is more than capable of erasing and surpassing in Memphis over the next few years.

But they are members of the BCS cartel that makes them a better job.

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Rove to be indicted within 2 weeks...

Saul Good
03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
So the job is so great that they're not capable of paying as much as Memphis can. Rad.

It's a better job. It just doesn't pay as much. Rubbing lotion on Vida Guerra's ass is a better job than being a garbage collector, but it doesn't pay as much either.

And you were mentioning Arizona when it came to prestige and tradition;

I never said anything of the sort. It's true, but I never made any comparison between Memphis and Arizona. I compared Louisville to Arizona, and I said that Louisville was the better job. You pretty much got that point wrong in every way possible.

ArrowheadHawk
03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Cal is waiting for Self to leave Kansas for the Oklahoma City Thunder. :p

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Who has the most money?

Saul Good
03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Who has the most money?

Kentucky and Oklahoma State may be the two schools who could pony up the most dough if they had to.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Not a word, and I've always wondered about that. There is a bit of a rivalry/connection there. I've heard a lot of fans talk negatively about Barnes being a less than above-board in his recruiting. Chasing committed Arizona players, etc.

I don't know why he's not on the list (or if he is, why he's so far down). I think his results are pretty self-evident and I'd be happy with his hire, personally.

I've never heard of Barnes being an underhanded recruiter. And if he is, that puts him in the same club as 200 other D-I BBall coaches.

And the figures on UT attendance seem a little low. The link I found showed them averaging nearly 13k.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1651&t=2544850

Could be tix sold and not actual attendance.

KevB
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Arizona is a much better job than Memphis, but the money just isn't there.

Honestly, what do those 7 championships mean today? Ask Tubby and Gillespie what that tradition is worth. It raises expectations to unrealistic levels, that's certainly true. But could Cal recruit better players at Kentucky? Get higher seeds and have more tourney success? Be more beloved to the fanbase? Make more money? I don't know that the answer is yes to any of those questions, so why leave?

And what makes the Arizona job better than Memphis? And don't say better conference, because that hasn't hindered Cal at Memphis even a little bit.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
And what makes the Arizona job better than Memphis?

Not having to live in Memphs?

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Realistically assuming Cal just wants to get paid, Kentucky can outbid just about anyone so it is certainly possible. I'm not sure their interest in Cal is strong enough that they'd necessarily be willing to outbid Memphis for him though.

Let's think this through for just a moment. Two of the reports I've seen say Kentucky might have to pay BCG 6 million in severance. To get Calipari they will have to pay what? 3.5? 4? Over say a standard 5 year deal. That's 26 mil you better have lying around. Does Kentucky have a T. Boone Pickens or are they holding up Ft. Knox?

Looks to me like it's Travis Ford for Kentucky and Reggie Theus for Az.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Calipari to Kentucky makes perfect sense. Nobody wants to live in Memphis, let alone coach there.

Pitino to Arizona makes no sense. That job would be a step down in prestige, money, conference, and tradition.

Pitino makes more sense than people realize.

1) His close friend CM Newton is heading up the UA's search
2) Pitino likes building programs
3) Pitino's trainer (Todd Pletcher) is a UA alumn and booster. So is Bob Baffert. No one knows, but UA has the countries only horse racing degree.
4) With the mess of the last 2 years, no coach will be walking into the Lute Olson shadow. Fan expectations for next year are low.
5) I think Cal going to UK makes being at Louisville less appealing. That state *wants* to love UK, and they will race back to them with a winning head coach.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Let's think this through for just a moment. Two of the reports I've seen say Kentucky might have to pay BCG 6 million in severance. To get Calipari they will have to pay what? 3.5? 4? Over say a standard 5 year deal. That's 26 mil you better have lying around. Does Kentucky have a T. Boone Pickens or are they holding up Ft. Knox?

BCG never did sign a contract with Kentucky. Therefore he won't get the $6 million. That's what I've read.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
BCG never did sign a contract with Kentucky. Therefore he won't get the $6 million. That's what I've read.

He worked under a standard agreement. It'll take some legal wrangling, but Kentucky already looks like shit from the beginning in this deal. And the AD is looking worse by saying too much. The more they drag their feet, the worse it'll look for them.

He may not get the entire 6 mil but he'll get a sizable chunk. I just don't see where they can generate that kind of $ and still pay a Calipari or Pitino.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
No doubt that Lute is the only Hall of Fame coach we've ever had. But let's not pretend that diminishes the program.

25 straight years in the NCAA, 15 Pac-10 Championships, 14 Sweet 16's, 8 Elite 8s, 5 final 4s, 2 championship games, 1 championship

Depending upon the year, our basketball program has the higest revenues of any school in the country. Pretty much always top 5.

And Tucson's weather, and lifestyle makes it a great place to recruit to. Plus either coach would all but own the entire the west coast.

I've really not tried to trash Memphis, but let's not pretend like it's just conincidence that Memphis has to pay well above market rate to get an elite coach. It's not the best job, without overpaying for the best coach.

And the reason Memphis can over pay for a coach is that they don't compete in a full array of sports. Arizona (for good or bad) spreads their profit over the full array of sports.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
He worked under a standard agreement. It'll take some legal wrangling, but Kentucky already looks like shit from the beginning in this deal. And the AD is looking worse by saying too much. The more they drag their feet, the worse it'll look for them.

He may not get the entire 6 mil but he'll get a sizable chunk. I just don't see where they can generate that kind of $ and still pay a Calipari or Pitino.

We'll see.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
No doubt that Lute is the only Hall of Fame coach we've ever had. But let's not pretend that diminishes the program.

25 straight years in the NCAA, 15 Pac-10 Championships, 14 Sweet 16's, 8 Elite 8s, 5 final 4s, 2 championship games, 1 championship

Depending upon the year, our basketball program has the higest revenues of any school in the country. Pretty much always top 5.

And Tucson's weather, and lifestyle makes it a great place to recruit to. Plus either coach would all but own the entire the west coast.

I've really not tried to trash Memphis, but let's not pretend like it's just conincidence that Memphis has to pay well above market rate to get an elite coach. It's not the best job, without overpaying for the best coach.

And the reason Memphis can over pay for a coach is that they don't compete in a full array of sports. Arizona (for good or bad) spreads their profit over the full array of sports.http://j.photos.cx/50headshake-545.gif

jAZ
03-29-2009, 08:11 PM

Like I said before, Bob Baffert is a UA booster. So is Artie Moreno (billionaire owner of the LA Angels of the OCC, and Robert Sarver, owner of the Phoenix Suns). We have the boosters, but it's a tough economy.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
http://j.photos.cx/50headshake-545.gif

Don't forget 38 current or former NBA players.

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
We'll see.

Link me to what you read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4023318

The coach worked under a memorandum of understanding signed following his whirlwind courtship by the school. Barnhart said the university would try to negotiate a fair separation agreement but believes it will be well below $6 million.

Gillispie believes he's due the full amount.

"That's what it says in the contract, that's what it looks like to me," he said. "I don't know all the details and all those kind of things. I just know we signed a contract. It was a shorter version than maybe some."

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Like I said before, Bob Baffert is a UA booster. So is Artie Moreno (billionaire owner of the LA Angels of the OCC, and Robert Sarver, owner of the Phoenix Suns). We have the boosters, but it's a tough economy.

I was talking strictly in the Cal to Kentucky scenario. In addition, if mmaddogg is correct, they'll be whacking the AD soon also, since he hired BCG all on his own. There's more severance and another search and another salary.

KevB
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Pitino makes more sense than people realize.

1) His close friend CM Newton is heading up the UA's search
2) Pitino likes building programs
3) Pitino's trainer (Todd Pletcher) is a UA alumn and booster. So is Bob Baffert. No one knows, but UA has the countries only horse racing degree.
4) With the mess of the last 2 years, no coach will be walking into the Lute Olson shadow. Fan expectations for next year are low.
5) I think Cal going to UK makes being at Louisville less appealing. That state *wants* to love UK, and they will race back to them with a winning head coach.

That's it? That's the rationale for pulling Pitino away from L'ville? Connecting those dots will take quite a bit of ink.

KevB
03-29-2009, 08:53 PM

And the reason Memphis can over pay for a coach is that they don't compete in a full array of sports. Arizona (for good or bad) spreads their profit over the full array of sports.

On the first point, Memphis pays elite money because, wait for it.....he's an elite coach. It's market value for a top 5 coach. On your second point, how does that make Arizona more attactive again? I must have missed it.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 09:44 PM
That's it? That's the rationale for pulling Pitino away from L'ville? Connecting those dots will take quite a bit of ink.

Just for the record, I'm not connecting those dots and assuming Pitino's interested from that. I'm saying that Pitino is interested, and when someone says "it makes no sense", I'm replying with some context you may or may not be aware of.

The only factor that matters is a single dot that doesn't need connecting to anything else. Either Pitino wants the job, or he doesn't. Nothing else matters.

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I was talking strictly in the Cal to Kentucky scenario. In addition, if mmaddogg is correct, they'll be whacking the AD soon also, since he hired BCG all on his own. There's more severance and another search and another salary.

First...I said Barnhart was in hot water, I didn't say he was going to be fired. But considering all his faux pas, it wouldn't be beyond reason.

As for Billy Gillespie, he never signed the contract and all he had was a letter of understanding. He is just posturing like I am sure his attorney has told him to. I am guessing that the University will probably get the settlement that they want at the dollar figure they want...Gillespie is just blowing smoke if he thinks differently.

As for Pitino...that would be interesting. Considering Pitino would be leaving Louisville, a heated in-state rival, to go back to UK, that would make their annual meeting even more intense. Interestingly, Pitino left UK but is still very much respected although he coaches Louisville.

All the local sports talk radio shows have Calipari as the leading "favorite" candidate amongst the fan base, with Travis Ford being the next favorite. The universty talking heads are saying nothing more than they will not be rushing into a decision like they did with Gillespie.

mmaddog

jAZ
03-29-2009, 10:09 PM
On the first point, Memphis pays elite money because, wait for it.....he's an elite coach. It's market value for a top 5 coach. On your second point, how does that make Arizona more attactive again? I must have missed it.
I really don't want this to be a bash Memphis discussion, no matter how much UP would choose to bash Arizona. And to be clear, I wasn't saying that our inability to pay top dollar makes us more appealing. I've said all along that Cal and Pitino would be turning down more money to coach at Arizona.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
And the reason Memphis can over pay for a coach is that they don't compete in a full array of sports. Arizona (for good or bad) spreads their profit over the full array of sports.Seriously, this is my favorite part of your post. Arizona, a BCS school, just can't compete financially with little ol' Memphis because of their commitments to other sports!

Memphis has been to five bowls in the last six years. Memphis' football coach makes almost $1 million per year. Boosters are the reason the school can afford to pay Cal and Tommy so much, and it would be a lot fucking easier if the school had a BCS welfare check.

And yeah, you're not running down Memphis or Louisville by saying their coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach for your wonderful school, which practically sets the entire great west alight with its glory. We're just mid-major or recently mid-major chumps there for the poaching.

Memphis and Louisville were nationally relevant long before Arizona.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Unless the UK AD is a complete idiot, if this meeting happens, then it's a done deal that Cal's going to UK. You don't ask for permission to meet with Cal until you've workout the deal in advance.

Both sides look bad if they meet to discuss the job for the first time in public and then find out they can't come to a deal. That's high-profile-FAIL.

So if you see them actually ask for permission to formally talk with Cal, it's a formality.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11564471

Calipari could meet with Kentucky on Monday
March 29, 2009
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion!

Memphis coach John Calipari has let Kentucky officials know that he's interested in the school's vacant head coaching position, and he could talk with UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart as early as Monday, a source with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com on Sunday.

Kentucky fired Billy Gillispie on Friday after just two seasons, and CBSSports.com immediately reported Calipari as a legitimate candidate despite the Memphis coach telling local media he planned to remain at Memphis for a 10th season. Multiple sources close to Calipari have said there's no guarantee he would take the Kentucky job if offered, but those same sources have privately insisted for weeks that if Kentucky showed interest Calipari would listen.

One possible problem with jumping to Kentucky, some have claimed, is that Calipari has the nation's top recruiting class lined up, and he would not want to leave that behind. But those close to Calipari believe it's possible to take parts of that recruiting class to Kentucky -- specifically unsigned prospects DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall -- and that if Calipari could pair it with Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks the Wildcats might threaten for a Final Four next season.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
It's interesting, and all, but you're putting the cart before the horse. The latest rumor is that they may talk turkey, not that they may make any public overtures.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Seriously, this is my favorite part of your post. Arizona, a BCS school, just can't compete financially with little ol' Memphis because of their commitments to other sports!

Memphis has been to five bowls in the last six years. Memphis' football coach makes almost $1 million per year. Boosters are the reason the school can afford to pay Cal and Tommy so much, and it would be a lot ****ing easier if the school had a BCS welfare check.

And yeah, you're not running down Memphis or Louisville by saying their coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach for your wonderful school, which practically sets the entire great west alight with its glory. We're just mid-major or recently mid-major chumps there for the poaching.

Memphis and Louisville were nationally relevant long before Arizona.
I'm not running down the schools by telling you that they would take less money at Arizona. If that's reality, and you take offense to it, that's on you.

But I'm not saying that to attack Memphis. I'm truely not. Just passing along what I'm told.

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Interesting that CBS is reporting a possible meeting on Monday, but there is nothing on the local sports scene about that meeting. I know the local Sports Newscasters are a little slower than the National guys, but on a story like this everyone would be watching the airport.

mmaddog

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not running down the schools by telling you that they would take less money at Arizona. If that's reality, and you take offense to it, that's on you.

But I'm not saying that to attack Memphis. I'm truely not. Just passing along what I'm told.Right, your buddy's buddy's buddy's buddy read an internet rumor that said Arizona was the prime job in the country and that countless top coaches would jump at the chance. Then, when you don't get those top names, "well, I guess things changed."

jAZ
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
It's interesting, and all, but you're putting the cart before the horse. The latest rumor is that they may talk turkey, not that they may make any public overtures.

UKs process was solely focused on landing Billy Donovan until just the other day, so they might indeed be taking an approach dictated by circumstance.

But if they are smart about what they are doing, they don't meet with Cal until they have back-channel contract terms and a commitment in place. You just set yourself up for embrassment if you start with a high profile, ask for permission, AD-Coach meeting up front.

That meeting should be a formality, if done right.

But it sounds like UK might have a pretty crappy AD, so it's possible that this is a "get to know you" meeting.

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
But it sounds like UK might have a pretty crappy AD, so it's possible that this is a "get to know you" meeting.

That's an understatement....

mmaddog

jAZ
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Right, your buddy's buddy's buddy's buddy read an internet rumor that said Arizona was the prime job in the country and that countless top coaches would jump at the chance. Then, when you don't get those top names, "well, I guess things changed."

I've been pretty measured in my comments, and in fact I have refused to make any predictions, because I don't know that Cal or Pitino are coming to Arizona. You are the only one who's been arrogant enough to declare with certainty that while you don't know any of the details even 2nd hand, you know Cal isn't going to leave Memphis.

Oh, and that Arizona won't be getting a top-tier coach from a major school.

The attitude you are upset with me about is coming from yourself.

I've tried not to be a dick about any of this. You have chosen the opposite tone, for some reason.

But I'll say it again, I have no interest in insulting Memphis or their fans.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
in fact I have refused to make any predictionsYeah, you're just "sharing" your "inside knowledge of the situation."

I've tried not to be a dick about any of this. You have chosen the opposite tone, for some reason.You're eying my silverware longingly. I'm mocking you for doing so.

KC_Connection
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
ESPN is reporting this, too. I wonder what will happen to Cousins and Wall if Calipari leaves.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, you're just "sharing" your "inside knowledge of the situation."
It's true. Not sure why that's so hard to accept, but whatever.

None of the people I deal with have ever said anything was a done deal. I wouldn't believe it if they did, because sh*t happens. They've just talked about the nature of the process and the back-channel interest that exists.

The UK opening changed everything. Arizona isn't the top opening anymore.

In the case of Cal, there have been on-going discussions between Cals folks and Arizona's folks since shortly after Lute retired. Even knowing our budget range, he stayed interested. Even with his recruiting class, he stayed interested. But interest isn't a given.

My sense is that Pitino is our #1 target and that we better land him because our #2 is going to Kentucky and our #3 is playing in the Final 4 next week. After that, it drops off a bit.

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
My sense is that Pitino is our #1 target and that we better land him because our #2 is going to Kentucky and our #3 is playing in the Final 4 next week. After that, it drops off a bit.
Calipari's only #4?

jAZ
03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
You're eying my silverware longingly. I'm mocking you for doing so.

You have done more than mock, but maybe I took offense where you were just kidding around. In any case, I remain curious what your reaction would be to seeing UK hire Cal and Arizona hire Pitino. The thought has become pretty amusing to me lately.

Ultra Peanut
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
You have done more than mock, but maybe I took offense where you were just kidding around. In any case, I remain curious what your reaction would be to seeing UK hire Cal and Arizona hire Pitino. The thought has become pretty amusing to me lately.Seriously, no hard feelings are intended. And you're right, that is a pretty funny joke.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Calipari's only #4?

Heh, not a Cal fan, huh?

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Heh, not a Cal fan, huh?
I like Memphis and Cal an awful lot.

jAZ
03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Seriously, no hard feelings are intended. And you're right, that is a pretty funny joke.

If Cal leaves, where does Memphis go next?

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
To the liquor store.

veist
03-30-2009, 12:10 AM

I was talking to a friend of mine about this and essentially his response was basically "for basketball their pockets are deeper than a black hole" now obviously he was being a bit facetious but his point was pretty clear I thought.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't think Memphis fans want to think about that possibility.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Seems like this is gaining momentum......

ESPN is supposedly reporting that Cal will meet with UK today just to talk.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Seems like this is gaining momentum......

ESPN is supposedly reporting that Cal will meet with UK today just to talk.

I think Kentucky is making a mistake if they let Cal have a formal meeting without knowing that it's a formality.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't think Memphis fans want to think about that possibility.

Memphis has been good for years. They would land on their feet.

KevB
03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
I think Kentucky is making a mistake if they let Cal have a formal meeting without knowing that it's a formality.

It's happened many times before. In fact, it's happened with Cal (as you know) when he very publicly met with NCState.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Memphis has been good for years. They would land on their feet.

You're right. They've been good for 9-10 years or so.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 09:21 AM

They had a run in the 90s with Penny and Wright. And a (now unofficial) Final Four appearance in the early/mid 80s. It's more than just Cal. And a great coach like Cal can open doors for sustained success.

I hope that Josh Pastner gets the job in Memphis (unlikely). It would be their best shot at keeping some of their recruits/commits happy.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh, I'm not saying that Memphis doesn't have some history. Penny Hardaway was one of my favorite players at the time.....just saying that Cal has made the Memphis Tigers a household name as far as college basketball is concerned.

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/

Source: Calipari meets with players, hints at departure

By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009
Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com reported Monday morning that Calipari met with Kentucky officials over the weekend to discuss an outline of a deal to replace Billy Gillispie.

A source told The Commercial Appeal on Sunday that Calipari had expressed interest in the job and could meet with Kentucky this week but that a meeting was “not definite.”

Memphis officials, according to multiple sources, had no direct knowledge of a meeting between Calipari and Kentucky if one indeed took place over the weekend. Kentucky still had not asked Memphis for formal permission to speak with Calipari as of 9:45 a.m., according to sports information director Lamar Chance.

Either way, Memphis is expected to make a strong bid to keep Calipari with a financial package that would make him the highest paid coach in basketball, according to another source.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Wait a minute....so did or didn't he meet with UK over the weekend?

ESPN says yes.

"A source" says they could meet this week, but that a meeting was "not definite."

Also, does UK need permission to speak with Cal from Memphis?

jAZ
03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Wait a minute....so did or didn't he meet with UK over the weekend?

ESPN says yes.

"A source" says they could meet this week, but that a meeting was "not definite."

Also, does UK need permission to speak with Cal from Memphis?

I believe that met yesterday or this morning.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 10:26 AM
So, then they didn't need permission to speak with him?

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Wow you know nothing about the history of Memphis basketball then.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Must have permission, I think it's required.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Wow you know nothing about the history of Memphis basketball then.

I understand there have been good years that Cal wasn't the coach. I need to use more smilies.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Must have permission, I think it's required.

So....then how did they meet without the permission being granted?

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM

Permission was most likely granted.

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 11:08 AM
gary parrish on memphis radio reported an offer of 6 yrs for 40 mill...

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Holy ....

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks like he may be gone.

The draw of turning around a program with great history like Kentucky may have been enough for Calipari (oh, and also the huge contract).

This turns the college basketball world upside down.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
wonder what happends to the recruits? they follow?

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Kentucky offered that? Jesus.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
wonder what happends to the recruits? they follow?
Xavier Henry signed...so I'm not sure he can.

Both Cousins and Wall could follow, though, I suppose. Or maybe Wall heads to Kansas or Duke now?

jAZ
03-30-2009, 11:32 AM

$4.5M base + $1.5M sponsorship/incentives.

Jerm
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
That's crazy money....how can he turn that down?!?

I wonder who Memphis will target if Cal leaves.

Pants
03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
$4.5M base + $1.5M sponsorship/incentives.

Jesus...

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Xavier Henry signed...so I'm not sure he can.

Both Cousins and Wall could follow, though, I suppose. Or maybe Wall heads to Kansas or Duke now?

I think Wall ends up at Duke.

Cousins? Depends on who Memphis ends up with as the Head Coach

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Cousins best friend since 5th grade said on facebook ....

jAZ
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Bad news for me is that Pitino is more likely to stay at Louisville than come to Arizona at the moment. Full court press is on Pitino alone, now that Cal is out of the picture.

:(

Lon Krueger and Mark Few are next on the list, it seems.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Bad news for me is that Pitino is more likely to stay at Louisville than come to Arizona at the moment. Full court press is on Pitino alone, now that Cal is out of the picture.

:(

Lon Krueger and Mark Few are next on the list, it seems.

Going to Arizona from Louisville would be a downgrade for Pitino. It makes no sense.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
jAZ, I gotta give it up. Never thought the dominoes would fall like this.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
jAZ, I gotta give it up. Never thought the dominoes would fall like this.

Cal is one big domino, but he's just one.

Sounds like news on Pitino won't be today. Later in the week.

Seems like he's got more reasons to stay in Louisville than come to Tucson, and a big factor is that Cal/UK just exploded the payscale. We can't afford more than about $2.5M base +.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
How many coaches are looking for raises after what UK is paying for Cal?

jAZ
03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
How many coaches are looking for raises after what UK is paying for Cal?

All of the good ones.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Pitino is sitting on our offer, not looking good.

My fear is that we are going to end up with Kruger. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lon_Kruger

Kruger was the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks of the National Basketball Association. It was as head coach of the Hawks that Kruger guaranteed season-ticket holders that the Hawks would make the playoffs or get a $125 refund. The Hawks failed to make the playoffs and Kruger was fired midway through the season.

ROFL:shake: