PDA

View Full Version : Economics Holy hell, there were three people in front of me at the convenience store!

banyon
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
This must mean the recession is over and we can all relax!

mlyonsd
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
What we really need is a report from Wal-Mart. That would be a better test IMO.

banyon, I'm assigning you the task of sitting inside the door of your nearest Wal-Mart this afternoon starting at 3:30 or 4.

Note, count just the people coming in the door, not going out.

vailpass
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Come on out to phoenix where the line at the Circle-K routinely stretches back to the beer cooler. Same with the atm, bank, etc.

banyon
03-28-2009, 11:15 AM

banyon, I'm assigning you the task of sitting inside the door of your nearest Wal-Mart this afternoon starting at 3:30 or 4.

Note, count just the people coming in the door, not going out.

I don't go to Walmart much because I don't habla the espanol.

Plus I see a lot of gang members there.

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM
This must mean the recession is over and we can all relax!I won't relax until our Dear Leader, Lord Obama says so.

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Note, count just the people coming in the door, not going out.If Walmart has a same store sales contraction then we are in for a hurt.

I have been watching their numbers very keenly.

BucEyedPea
03-28-2009, 01:07 PM

So crowded, one can barely move in there. These days it's worse and even some shelves in the domestic's dept, where I was, were totally picked over.

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh shit, the line at the attorneys office is around the block with fools wanting to sue somebody.

The economy has bottomed out.

KC native
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
If Walmart has a same store sales contraction then we are in for a hurt.

I have been watching their numbers very keenly.

We're already in a hurt. What we need to see is a decline in Wal Mart numbers accompanied with an increase in others. Wal Mart is a defensive play. You should expect to see their numbers hold up if not increase because people look for cheaper goods when they are hurting.

petegz28
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Come on out to phoenix where the line at the Circle-K routinely stretches back to the beer cooler. Same with the atm, bank, etc.

I was just in Phoenix a few weeks ago, and the line at In-n-Out Burger was the shortest I have ever seen.

BucEyedPea
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
I was just in Phoenix a few weeks ago, and the line at In-n-Out Burger was the shortest I have ever seen.

I heard places like McDonald's are doing great!

petegz28
03-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Well, you heard wrong then, heh?

BucEyedPea
03-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, you heard wrong then, heh?

No I didn't. I've been getting something there on wednesday mornings when I do my chiro/massage treatments....and it's crowded beyond belief. Again, lots of Q-Tip though. But not all are.

InChiefsHell
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I dunno. I'm sure the economy sucks somewhere...but I have noticed zero difference in my shopping experiences in Omaha...

petegz28
03-28-2009, 02:05 PM
No I didn't. I've been getting something there on wednesday mornings when I do my chiro/massage treatments....and it's crowded beyond belief. Again, lots of Q-Tip though. But not all are.

Wow, McDonald's crowded during morning rush hour? And Q-Trip too? Who would have thunk? When I go past those places during non-rush hour times they are dead.

Bowser
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
RECESS THIS!!!! *grabs junk*

banyon
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM

As usual, your "sources" are a little off:

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
No I didn't. I've been getting something there on wednesday mornings when I do my chiro/massage treatments....and it's crowded beyond belief. Again, lots of Q-Tip though. But not all are.Message? you have to quit bending into those funny positions.

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
We're already in a hurt. What we need to see is a decline in Wal Mart numbers accompanied with an increase in others. Wal Mart is a defensive play. You should expect to see their numbers hold up if not increase because people look for cheaper goods when they are hurting.Actually, my take on it is that everyone has already traded down to Wal Mart by and large as evidenced by their steady performance thus far. Any tailing off by them, would show that the consumer has flat run out of cash, even to shop at wal mart, then we truely are in a world of hurt.

Sorry I didn't make that clear enough for you to understand that in my previous post.

Calcountry
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
We're already in a hurt. What we need to see is a decline in Wal Mart numbers accompanied with an increase in others. Wal Mart is a defensive play. You should expect to see their numbers hold up if not increase because people look for cheaper goods when they are hurting.Anyways, Obama's gonna change it.

banyon
03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Anyways, Obama's gonna change it.

By all means, this thread need to be turned into a thread about Obama, right?

Baconeater
03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I dunno. I'm sure the economy sucks somewhere...but I have noticed zero difference in my shopping experiences in Omaha...
I can tell you this much, whenever I go out to eat, every place I go to is busier than hell. Apparently the word hasn't gotten around here that we're all broke.

SNR
03-29-2009, 12:48 AM
I can tell you this much, whenever I go out to eat, every place I go to is busier than hell. Apparently the word hasn't gotten around here that we're all broke.
.What's funny is the rise in food prices hasn't turned people away from restaurants. At least it hasn't for me. I'm still paying out the ass at the grocery store just as much as I am at a cheapish eating establishment. I also don't have a family to feed, though, so the $20 I spend on supplies to make a dish doesn't get divided into portions, it's just between my wife and I.

Thig Lyfe
03-29-2009, 12:56 AM
I won't relax until our Dear Leader, Lord Obama says so.

I don't get why cons keep clinging to this "Obama as Messiah" meme.