PDA

View Full Version : Life Rear Window Gravestones

angelo
03-28-2009, 12:58 PM
In the last year or so I have noticed a disturbing increase in the amount of death notices or In memory notices on the rear windows of cars and trucks.

My questions are

1) Why would you want to bring to public a very private matter.

2) What good does it do towards healing.

3) How does it affect resale value.

The death of a loved one is so intimate that I can not even comprehend why people would do this.

I will take any answers of the air.

Ang

Bowser
03-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Why does it upset you to see people do this?

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
some people like the attention. very few do it for any real valid reason IMHO.

angelo
03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Why does it upset you to see people do this?

It is not upsetting (the disturbing part is it's rapid proliferation) it is more that I am curious as to why people do it.

Ang

angelo
some people like the attention. very few do it for any real valid reason IMHO.

What would be a valid reason.

Ang

Sully
What's worse, IMO, is that they say "in memory of..."
What's in memory of them? The car? The sticker? The driving? Doesn't make sense to me

Dave Lane
03-28-2009, 01:11 PM
In the last year or so I have noticed a disturbing increase in the amount of death notices or In memory notices on the rear windows of cars and trucks.

My questions are

1) Why would you want to bring to public a very private matter.

2) What good does it do towards healing.

3) How does it affect resale value.

The death of a loved one is so intimate that I can not even comprehend why people would do this.

I will take any answers of the air.

Ang

Even weirder in my mind is frikking tats with death dates and man thats fucking nasty and creepy

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I've heard discussion that the markers along roadways, crosses and what not, are also a fairly recent development in our society.

tonyetony
03-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I saw one the other day and wondered how many of these people have been cremated and their ashes strewn someplace and this car is the only physical marker indicating they had existed. Then I got a visual of the car being crushed, kind of depressing really.

angelo
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
I've heard discussion that the markers along roadways, crosses and what not, are also a fairly recent development in our society.

Yes, they also seem to be quite popular.
There was one in Brookside (Kansas City Suburb) dedicated to a guy who was shot by a security guard. The unreal part was that the victim had stolen from a local business and when apprehended he stabbed the security guard it he neck. It was only then that the security guard shot him.

His family continued to erect one with teddy bears and flowers for almost a year.

Ang

chiefforlife
03-28-2009, 01:17 PM
I only see Hispanic people doing it, I thought it had something to do with their culture?

DaFace
03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I could be wrong about this, and perhaps this is my fault for stereotyping, but I've always perceived that as being a Hispanic cultural thing.

DaFace
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I only see Hispanic people doing it, I thought it had something to do with their culture?

Heh...glad it's not just me.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Same here. Mostly Latino folk that I see with rear window obits.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes, they also seem to be quite popular.
There was one in Brookside (Kansas City Suburb) dedicated to a guy who was shot by a security guard. The unreal part was that the victim had stolen from a local business and when apprehended he stabbed the security guard it he neck. It was only then that the security guard shot him.

His family continued to erect one with teddy bears and flowers for almost a year.

Ang

Whoa.

angelo
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM

In Kansas City.
I have seen it cross all social, ethnic and economic paths.
That is why I am curious.

Ang

Delano
03-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Even weirder in my mind is frikking tats with death dates and man thats fucking nasty and creepy

I think a memorial of a loved one is the only reason I would ever get a tattoo. In a covered place, of course.

BigVE
03-28-2009, 01:27 PM

I could be wrong about this, and perhaps this is my fault for stereotyping, but I've always perceived that as being a Hispanic cultural thing.

Hmmm, not around here. The hispanics seem to take it a step or two further than most but there are several around here that are not Hispanic related. On another note, the rear window stickers around here almost seem to be a small town sort of popularity contest...I have had 2 well known friends die in recent years and it seems that all the "cool" people think they have to have these stickers on all thier vehicles. I have been given 2 of the stickers and they didnt make it on to anything.

Frazod
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I used to see a car at the train parking lot with a license plate that read "WTC ESKP," which I assume meant that the driver escaped from the World Trade Center on 9/11. I think I posted a thread about this once. What would be the point of that? Was I supposed to pat the guy on the back because he walked down the stairs and out of the building? At the very least that was classless and tacky.

I haven't seen that car or plate for years - I assume the owner either moved or hopefully realized what a fool he was and changed vanity plates.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Mexicans put them on their cars.
White people get them tatoo'd on their arms.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Mexicans put them on their cars.
White people get them tatoo'd on their arms.

Lotta black folks put them on the skin too.

petegz28
03-28-2009, 01:40 PM
What's worse, IMO, is that they say "in memory of..."
What's in memory of them? The car? The sticker? The driving? Doesn't make sense to me

:clap:

Bwana
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I have never seen that around here.

Bowser
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I used to see a car at the train parking lot with a license plate that read "WTC ESKP," which I assume meant that the driver escaped from the World Trade Center on 9/11. I think I posted a thread about this once. What would be the point of that? Was I supposed to pat the guy on the back because he walked down the stairs and out of the building? At the very least that was classless and tacky.

I haven't seen that car or plate for years - I assume the owner either moved or hopefully realized what a fool he was and changed vanity plates.

To quote Bullettooth Tony - "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

They should have gone with LOL WUT, or something.

MichaelH
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I see a lot of that around here on mostly rednecky vehicles. I figure it's popular in the south. While I don't find it disturbing, it is a bit tasteless in my opinion.

Frazod
03-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I have never seen that around here.

I haven't seen it around here, either. Of course, I haven't been looking for it, so perhaps I just haven't noticed.

I remember 20 years ago when I was in Norfolk the ethnic rage of the day was curb feelers. I never once saw a car being driven by a white man that had them attached. :D

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Maybe it was just a reminder to him/herself about being fortunate to be alive, not necessarily meant as a public proclamation of "specialness"?

I can see how this might be perceived as tasteless, though.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-28-2009, 02:26 PM
I just think a lot of people like to have some physical reminder of a loved one who's gone that they can carry with them. It's just a form of tribute to someone you loved. I think we're making a big deal out of nothing here. Bottom line is doing something like this is a personal choice and I feel like who is anyone else to judge.

Phobia
03-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't have a problem with people using different methods to express their grief.

My wife has used her space in our newspaper to grieve the loss of our daughter through poems and letters. Who cares what anybody else thinks about it? If it helps the griever, why would anybody else care?

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 03:38 PM
The whole thing is a just a little too odd for me I guess.

Of course, my Dad would tell stories about wakes back in Blaine, Ks. where they actually took the body from the casket and set him/her in their favorite chair while the whole community was there getting wasted and giving toasts.

Kind of a Weekend At Bernie's thing.

Jenson71
03-28-2009, 03:48 PM

That makes more sense. More of a warning to other drivers to pay attention.

NewChief
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM
One of my friends just posted a sarcastic request on his Facebook page for us to be sure to put up a RIP/In Loving Memory sticker on our cars when he passed. Someone said they would, as long as they could have Calvin pissing on it.

unlurking
03-28-2009, 06:39 PM

I see vanity plates all the time, so I have a habit of trying to interpret them as if I were the one getting the plate. I guessed "Want to see Eskimo Pie" before I saw your conclusion. I'm guessing yours is right, but I still like mine better.

Baconeater
03-28-2009, 06:40 PM
The whole thing is a just a little too odd for me I guess.

Of course, my Dad would tell stories about wakes back in Blaine, Ks. where they actually took the body from the casket and set him/her in their favorite chair while the whole community was there getting wasted and giving toasts.

Kind of a Weekend At Bernie's thing.
That is so cool, I'm totally going to tell my family to do that with me when I kick it.

Delano
03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
That is so cool, I'm totally going to tell my family to do that with me when I kick it.

Well, I ain't afraid of dyin', it's the thought of being dead
I want to go on being me once my eulogy's been read
Don't spread my ashes out to sea, don't lay me down to rest
You can put my mind at ease if you fill my last request

Prop me up beside the juke box if I die
Lord, I want to go to heaven, but I don't want to go tonight
Fill my boots up with sand, put a stiff drink in my hand
Prop me up beside the jukebox if I die

Just let my headstone be a neon sign
Just let it burn in memory of all of my good times
Fix me up with a mannequin, just remember, I like blondes
I'll be the life of the party, even when I'm dead and gone

Just make your next selection, and while you're still in line
You can pay your last respects one quarter at a time

rockymtnchief
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, I ain't afraid of dyin', it's the thought of being dead
I want to go on being me once my eulogy's been read
Don't spread my ashes out to sea, don't lay me down to rest
You can put my mind at ease if you fill my last request

Just let my headstone be a neon sign
Just let it burn in memory of all of my good times
Fix me up with a mannequin, just remember, I like blondes
I'll be the life of the party, even when I'm dead and gone

Just make your next selection, and while you're still in line
You can pay your last respects one quarter at a time

Wow! Both Travis Tritt and Joe Diffie post here?:D

Discuss Thrower
03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
I generally see ones dedicated to people who die young, as in kids, a few Monett people I know have the number of a football player and his name as a sticker as he died in a car accident, if I remember correctly. For that reason I don't find it too tacky, though I have the feeling I see a lot more that are due to illnesses and that's a bit dodgier to me for some reason.

It just seems to be the trend, we see it in the NFL with last year's GU, the year before it LH and 21, the year before that it was 42. The roadside memorial is the most grotesque (in the old sense of the word) for me given that it makes drivers aware of the fact that someone expired around that spot. We see it for the major tragedies, such as the OKC Federal Building fence memorial, the future WTC memorial. In some cases it's warranted, but I feel like our culture is on a trend towards memorializing everything and soon we'll just be out of space and nobody can criticize it because it has such importance to those who it has affected the most.

StcChief
03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I saw one the other day and wondered how many of these people have been cremated and their ashes strewn someplace and this car is the only physical marker indicating they had existed. Then I got a visual of the car being crushed, kind of depressing really.do they put their cell phone in the cremation urn so you can call them and here their voice. as someone keeps their service alive:)