PDA

View Full Version : Royals Texas Rangers @ Kansas City Royals Spring Training Thread (3/28)

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
<table border=3 cellpadding = 4>
<tr><td>Final</td> <td> 1 </td> <td> 2 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 4 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 6 </td><td> 7 </td><td> 8 </td><td> 9 </td><td> R </td><td> H </td><td> E </td></tr>
<tr> <td>TEX (16-12-1 spring)</td> <td> 2 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 3 </td><td> 8 </td><td> 10 </td><td> 1 </td></tr>
<tr> <td>KC (15-11-3 spring)</td> <td> 2 </td> <td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 1 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 0 </td><td> 5 </td><td> 10 </td><td> 1 </td></tr>
</table>

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/tex.gif

Scott Feldman 5IP 4R 4ER 1BB 6K
Jimmy Gobble 0.1IP 1R 1ER 1BB 0K
Win Jason Jennings 3.2IP 0R 0ER 1BB 4K

VS

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/teams/20080123/80x60/kan.gif

Horacio Ramirez 5IP 4R 3ER 0BB 1K
Doug Waechter 1IP 0R 0ER 0BB 1K
Blown Save Jamey Wright 1.2IP 1R 1ER 1BB 1K
Loss Roman Colon 1.1IP 3R 3ER 1BB 2K

Starting Lineups

TEX

1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
1. Joaquin Arias, SS
2. Michael Young, 3B
2. Travis Metcalf, 3B
3. Josh Hamilton, CF
3. Andruw Jones, CF
4. Nelson Cruz, RF
4. Brandon Boggs, pr/RF
5. Hank Blalock, 1B
5. Ian Gac, 1B
6. Marlon Byrd, DH
6. Frank Catalanotto, DH
7. David Murphy, LF
8. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C
8. Adam Melhuse, C
9. Omar Vizquel, SS
9. Marcus Lemon, SS/2B

KC

1. Coco Crisp, CF
1. Willie Bloomquist, CF
2. David DeJesus, LF
2. Shane Costa, LF
3. Mark Teahen, 2B
3. Alberto Callaspo, 2B
4. Jose Guillen, RF
4. Mitch Maier, RF
5. Mike Jacobs, 1B
5. Billy Butler, 1B
6. Alex Gordon, 3B
6. Luis Hernandez, 3B
7. Ryan Shealy, DH
8. Miguel Olivo, C
8. Brayan Pena, C
9. Mike Aviles, SS
9. Tony Pena Jr, SS

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Umps squeezing the plate on us.

Douche Baggins
03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Rangers will win the World Series this year.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Top 1st

Kinsler grounds out to first 3-1
Young singles to center
Hamilton grounds out to first, Young to second
Cruz homers to center, Young scores
Blalock grounds out to first

2 runs, 2 hits

Bottom 1st

Crisp hits an infield bunt single to third
Crisp steals second
DeJesus grounds out to second, Crisp to third
Teahen singles to center, Crisp scores
Guillen singles to right, Teahen to third
Jacobs sacrifices (fly) to center, Teahen scores
Gordon walks, Guillen to second
Shealy strikes out (looking)

2 runs, 3 hits

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Don't know why Hillman insists on having Crisp lead off and DeJesus in the 2 hole. Each do better in the other spot in the lineup.

petegz28
03-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Don't know why Hillman insists on having Crisp lead off and DeJesus in the 2 hole. Each do better in the other spot in the lineup.

Cause DDJ cannot steal a base to save his life.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Cause DDJ cannot steal a base to save his life.

Doesn't matter. Stolen bases are overrated.

OBP is far more important in the 1 spot.

petegz28
03-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Doesn't matter. Stolen bases are overrated.

OBP is far more important in the 1 spot.

Well, I agree to a point...but when you are a small ball team...SB''s are not overrated. And ont hat topic..the leadoff guy only matters for 1 inning.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
I was in Surprise last week. Had the time of my life. All the guys were there. Wilson, Frank, Big John, Denny Leonard.

Frank was walking by me and I called him over.

Frank: Can't man. Working with the guys.

Me: Frank, Tommy John wants that pitch back that you hit into the LF stands in Game three in 1980.

Frank: (Big grin). I got all of that one.

ME: And Adujar is selling tickets at the StL planetarium that shows the comet you launched off him in Game 3 in 85.

Frank: ( LAughing out loud) I got all of that one too. Comes over to chat for about 5 minutes.

We talked about all sorts of stuff. The 7th inning of Game 5 in 77 where Reggie spiked him. Hal MAc body blocking Willie Randolph on hard slide at 2b in game 4.

Great time.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Top 2nd

Byrd flies out to left
Murphy grounds out to second
Saltalamacchia grounds out to second

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 2nd

Olivo strikes out (swinging)
Aviles flies out to center
Crisp grounds out to shortstop

0 runs, 0 hits

petegz28
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I was in Surprise last week. Had the time of my life. All the guys were there. Wilson, Frank, Big John, Denny Leonard.

Frank was walking by me and I called him over.

Frank: Can't man. Working with the guys.

Me: Frank, Tommy John wants that pitch back that you hit into the LF stands in Game three in 1980.

Frank: (Big grin). I got all of that one.

ME: And Adujar is selling tickets at the StL planetarium that shows the comet you launched off him in Game 3 in 85.

Frank: ( LAughing out loud) I got all of that one too. Comes over to chat for about 5 minutes.

We talked about all sorts of stuff. The 7th inning of Game 5 in 77 where Reggie spiked him. Hal MAc body blocking Willie Randolph on hard slide at 2b in game 4.

Great time.

Frank White is the best of the best. Last year he was the only one who came over to sign autographs. He wasn't down there yet when I was there a couple weeks ago, unfortunately.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:36 PM
It is encouraging that Teahen might have a chance to stick at second. If he doesnt just completely suck out there, then his bat would be nice as a middle infielder, and we can always defensively sub him over to the outfield at the end of the game.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Frank White is the best of the best. Last year he was the only one who came over to sign autographs. He wasn't down there yet when I was there a couple weeks ago, unfortunately.

Pete, I'm not a real autograph guy. But if I can just get there attention - like with Frank - I can usually get them to come over and chat. Frank has always been one of my heroes. He played so deep and was so great with pitch location and anticipating where the ball might be hit. It became almost routine to see frank make those great plays in short rf.

I got to chat with Willie Wilson for almost 15 minutes whiel he signed autos on the concourse. Most of the people didn't know it was him.

I asked if he knew where AO was these days and how I saw WW's first game in 1976. Sept 4 to be exact. Replaced AO in Cf.

It was just so much fun.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Top 3rd

Vizquel grounds out to pitcher
Kinsler grounds out to pitcher
Young grounds out to second

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 3rd

DeJesus flies out to left
Teahen triples to right
Guillen sacrifices (fly) to center, Teahen scores
Jacobs strikes out (swinging)

1 run, 1 hit

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I agree to a point...but when you are a small ball team...SB''s are not overrated. And ont hat topic..the leadoff guy only matters for 1 inning.

Yeah, kind of. The lead-off man is going to get the most ABs, though, so that's why you'd like to have a high OBP guy.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
It is encouraging that Teahen might have a chance to stick at second. If he doesnt just completely suck out there, then his bat would be nice as a middle infielder, and we can always defensively sub him over to the outfield at the end of the game.

In the four games I watched, it's a disaster in waiting.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
In the four games I watched, it's a disaster in waiting.

If it turns out that he can't play second, then someone needs to get a day off in the outfield or 3B almost every day, because he has been our best hitter in spring so far.

Jenson71
03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
A triple eh?

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Top 4th

Hamilton flies out to left
Cruz grounds out to pitcher
Blalock triples to right
Byrd reaches, Blalock scores on an Error by SS
Murphy grounds out to pitcher

1 run, 1 hit, 1 error

Bottom 4th

Gordon doubles to center
Shealy doubles to right, Gordon to third
Olivo strikes out (swinging)
Error by 1B (dropped foul fly)
Aviles pops out to third
Shealy to third, Gordon scores on a Wild Pitch
Crisp strikes out (looking)

1 run, 2 hits, 1 error

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 03:02 PM
If it turns out that he can't play second, then someone needs to get a day off in the outfield or 3B almost every day, because he has been our best hitter in spring so far.

His spring bat has been fine. However, in the field he looks like a guy who has been moved all over creation. Doesn't look real confident on any ball hit at him.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, not sure if he can really pitch yet or not, but Ho Ram can definitely field his position on the mound.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, not sure if he can really pitch yet or not, but Ho Ram can definitely field his position on the mound.

I was at the game last Sunday when he gave 6 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd. Course there was a 35 MPH wind blowing out to CF and there were 40 hits and 30 runs that day.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I was at the game last Sunday when he gave 6 in the 1st and 3 in the 2nd. Course there was a 35 MPH wind blowing out to CF and there were 40 hits and 30 runs that day.

Ya, I saw the box on that one. He MIGHT be our #5, but that's about it.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Pretty wild. Everything hit in the air went out. And anything that was hit hard went out of the park. And I mean out. 4 balls cleared the stadium concourse.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Top 5th

Saltalamacchia triples to center
Vizquel grounds out to shortstop, Saltalamacchia scores
Kinsler flies out to left
Young strikes out (swinging)

1 run, 1 hit

Bottom 5th

DeJesus grounds out to second
Teahen strikes out (swinging)
Guillen flies out to right

0 runs, 0 hits

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
wow, you dont hear a 3-triple game very often

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 03:31 PM

There was a small blurb in the AZ paper that mentioned the coaching staff wasn't allowing Ramirez to use all his pitches in that game. He had to use only fastball / cut fastball.

Might as well have had him throwing beach balls up there..

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Top 6th

Doug Waechter relieves Ramirez

Hamilton grounds out to first
Cruz strikes out (swinging)
Blalock grounds out to second

0 runs, 0 hits

Bottom 6th

Jimmy Gobble relieves Feldman

Jacobs pops out to second
Gordon walks
Shealy hits an infield single to third, Gordon to second

Jason Jennings relieves Gobble

Olivo doubles to center, Shealy to third, Gordon scores
Aviles strikes out (swinging)
Crisp grounds out to first

1 run, 2 hits

alnorth
03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Top 7th

Billy Butler replaces Jacobs at 1B

Alberto Callaspo replaces Teahen at 2B

Willie Bloomquist replaces Crisp at CF

Mitch Maier replaces Guillen at RF

Jamey Wright relieves Waechter

Byrd flies out to right
Murphy walks
Saltalamacchia flies out to left
Vizquel doubles to right, Murphy scores
Kinsler flies out to center

1 run, 1 hit

Bottom 7th

Adam Melhuse replaces Saltalamacchia at C

Marcus Lemon replaces Vizquel at SS

DeJesus strikes out (swinging)
Callaspo doubles to right
Maier strikes out (swinging)
Butler flies out to right

0 runs, 1 hit

alnorth
03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
LOL, just noticed that Teahen is batting .500 for the spring

alnorth
03-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Top 8th

Tony Pena Jr replaces Aviles at SS

Shane Costa replaces DeJesus at LF

Brayan Pena replaces Olivo at C

Luis Hernandez replaces Gordon at 3B

Young strikes out (swinging)
Hamilton lines out to first

Roman Colon relieves Wright

Cruz singles to center

Brandon Boggs runs for Cruz

Blalock strikes out (swinging)

0 runs, 1 hit

Bottom 8th

Travis Metcalf replaces Young at 3B

Boggs comes in at RF

Joaquin Arias replaces Kinsler and comes in at SS

Lemon moves to 2B

Andruw Jones replaces Hamilton at CF

Ian Gac replaces Blalock at 1B

Hernandez walks
Hernandez caught stealing 2-4, out at second
Shealy strikes out (swinging)
B. Pena grounds out to second

0 runs, 0 hits

alnorth
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Top 9th

Frank Catalanotto bats for Byrd at DH

Catalanotto doubles to right
Murphy grounds out to second, Catalanotto to third
Melhuse intentionally walked
Lemon sacrifices (fly) to center, Catalanotto scores
Arias singles to center, Melhuse to second
Metcalf singles to center, Arias to second, Melhuse scores
Jones singles to center, Metcalf to second, Arias scores
Boggs strikes out (swinging)

3 runs, 4 hits

Bottom 9th

Pena Jr grounds out to second
Bloomquist singles to center
Bloomquist to second on defensive indifference
Costa flies out to left
Callaspo grounds out to third

0 runs, 1 hit

Rangers win, 8-5

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Colon....

Douche Baggins
03-28-2009, 06:16 PM
RANGERS WIN BITCHES

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
RANGERS WIN BITCHES

Oh, it's on!

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Bitches

Douche Baggins
03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
This is like an annual tradition. The Rangers thump the Royals around in spring training.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 06:32 PM
This is like an annual tradition. The Rangers thump the Royals around in spring training.

They are 3-3 vs each other this spring

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Since the teams share the spring training site, you should check it out. I'm going to do it every year from now on.

BWillie
03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Who are the team leaders in jacks this year in spring training?

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Jacobs with 6. Olivo-4.

BWillie
Jacobs with 6. Olivo-4.

Somebody told me Teahen had like 5-6? No?

WilliamTheIrish
Teahan hitting .500

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Teahan with 5. Sorry BW, missed that.

BWillie
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Teahan with 5. Sorry BW, missed that.

Awesome. Could be best utility guy in the majors this year I would think.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:49 PM

If he's going to hit like that, they'll be forced to find him a position every day.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Teahen could still win the 2B job. The Royals seem hell-bent to give him every chance and benefit of the doubt rather than settling with Callaspo.

If it doesnt work out and his bat doesnt cool off when the season starts, then Teahen's going to be an interesting problem. His bat is too good to not be an everyday player, so the Royals would have to seriously consider starting him 4-5 out of every 6 games with a regular position of "whatever", and a lot of guys could get more rest than normal.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Teahen could still win the 2B job. The Royals seem hell-bent to give him every chance and benefit of the doubt rather than settling with Callaspo.

If it doesnt work out and his bat doesnt cool off when the season starts, then Teahen's going to be an interesting problem. His bat is too good to not be an everyday player, so the Royals would have to seriously consider starting him 4-5 out of every 6 games with a regular position of "whatever", and a lot of guys could get more rest than normal.

It's certainly an interesting problem. I want this guy to succeed.

BWillie
03-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen him play 2B yet so I don't know if he's got it in him yet or not. I sure hope so. That would instantly upgrade the royals immensely. Decent power hitting 2b. I kind of feel we already have guys like Aviles and Jacobs, and Gordon isn't a gold glove by guy any means, might as well throw in Teahen. As long as he can field a grounder and be agile enough to turn a double play. Get him in there.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 07:02 PM
It's certainly an interesting problem. I want this guy to succeed.

If nothing else, I guess he now has another tool in his Swiss Army knife.

As it is, it looks like he could take over at first, second, third, left, and right, and he could effectively give Crisp a break in center field with DeJesus moving over from left. When your talking about that kind of a super-utility guy along with an occasional DH and pinch-hit/run, we should be able to give him the same number of at-bats as a regular starter.

I'm guessing in the 2010 spring training we'll try him out at catcher and shortstop before sending him to the bullpen in 2011.

WilliamTheIrish
03-28-2009, 07:07 PM
As far as Teahen's ability at 2b goes. He has real trouble on the pivot. That's expected. I saw no less than half a dozen misplays on the pivot in the four games I saw. Part of it is familiarity I think, so if we have misplays early on, we'll have to live with them. Aviles is okay at SS, but he's not going to remind anybody of Mark Belanger with the glove.

As long as his bat remains steady it's a good problem.

Coach
03-28-2009, 07:11 PM
As far as Teahen's ability at 2b goes. He has real trouble on the pivot. That's expected. I saw no less than half a dozen misplays on the pivot in the four games I saw. Part of it is familiarity I think, so if we have misplays early on, we'll have to live with them. Aviles is okay at SS, but he's not going to remind anybody of Mark Belanger with the glove.

As long as his bat remains steady it's a good problem.

Personally, I think Aviles is a better option at 2nd than SS.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Personally, I think Aviles is a better option at 2nd than SS.

Aviles is basically shortstop by default. We have a lot of depth on this team, but nothing at the 6. If Aviles is injured and we have to bring TPJ back, we immediately become a (bad) National League team and would probably be out of luck for the division. After Greinke and Meche, Aviles is the one offensive player who we really need to stay healthy.

BWillie
03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Aviles is basically shortstop by default. We have a lot of depth on this team, but nothing at the 6. If Aviles is injured and we have to bring TPJ back, we immediately become a (bad) National League team and would probably be out of luck for the division. After Greinke and Meche, Aviles is the one offensive player who we really need to stay healthy.

Yeah and by the looks of it he is raping spring training. I knew the guy was a decent prospect last year, but he kind of came out of no where. I hope extra scouting by other teams on him this year doesn't make him less effective.

alnorth
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Rotoworld on Teahen:

Mark Teahen tripled and singled in his three at-bats Saturday against the Rangers.

It's ridiculous just how hot Teahen is, and unless it suddenly falls apart for him over the next week, he's going to have to be in the Opening Day lineup, even if it's as the game's worst defensive second baseman. He's hitting .500/.553/1.000 with five homers in 42 at-bats. He's even 3-for-3 stealing bases.