PDA

View Full Version : Media The News Media and You

Jenson71
03-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Poll forthcoming about your news media preferences

I would like to know where you get most of your current affairs news and journalism. There will be multiple options, but only pick where most of your attention is focused on in each category to get your news.

BucEyedPea
03-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Repost x3

BucEyedPea
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Mainstream: Fox and CNN for different issues; Lou Dobbs I really like these days.
I switch around.

Niche Pubs:Human Events, TownHall, Christian Science Monitor and Haaretz
For OP mixed with News: Mises, Independent Institute, Cato,Lew Rockwell, AmericanConservative, Takis, antiwar.com but this links to both progressive and old right sources as well as MSM and Foreign Press. Vanity Fair occasionally look at the pinko publications like The Nation, Huffington Post and Truth Out. Occasionally check the NeoCon pubs like Nat'l Review and Weekly Standard.

Captain Obvious
03-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I get all of my information from sportsshrink.

patteeu
03-29-2009, 08:28 AM
I get a regular email from MoveOn.org to keep me abreast of the news, but I always make sure that I confirm things with my Obama block captain before I accept it as truth. /BRC, Direckshun, jAZ, et al.

patteeu
03-29-2009, 08:42 AM
I get most of my news either directly or indirectly from ChiefsPlanet. ChiefsPlanet is usually my starting point. I read posted news articles here and then I read related articles on independed internet news sites if I decide that the subject is interesting enough to warrant further investigation. When I'm bored with the topics on ChiefsPlanet, I'll check Drudge, Powerline, Hot Air, WSJ, Townhall, Long War Journal, Michael Yon, or someone like Ralph Peters at the New York Post to find something interesting.

I'd watch more (FOX)news if I had cable, but since I don't, the only TV news I ever see is the (Lehrer) News Hour on PBS and I only watch that every once in a while. The only newspaper I read is my small town local paper. The only Kansas City news I pay attention to comes from listening occasionally to Chris Stigall on KCMO 710am in the mornings. I'm not really interested in local news, but I listen to Stigall when I'm not listening to sports talk because he's a pretty entertaining talk show host.

Direckshun
03-29-2009, 08:48 AM
I'll check Drudge, Powerline, Hot Air, WSJ, Townhall, Long War Journal, Michael Yon, or someone like Ralph Peters at the New York Post to find something interesting.

I'd watch more (FOX)news if I had cable, but since I don't, the only TV news I ever see is the (Lehrer) News Hour on PBS and I only watch that every once in a while. The only newspaper I read is my small town local paper. The only Kansas City news I pay attention to comes from listening occasionally to Chris Stigall on KCMO 710am in the mornings.

I love how you mock me for living inside a bubble, then revealing that you peruse every single right-wing/conservative/far-right news source on your dais. I've always suspected that I read far more dissent on my own ideas than you do -- now I'm pretty damn sure.

I listen to conservative radio religiously, and I read Commentary, Culture11, and a handful of conservative blogs. I also watch Fox News from time to time.

Because, unlike yourself, I do not think my ideology has the monopoly on truth.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I love how you mock me for living inside a bubble, then revealing that you peruse every single right-wing/conservative/far-right news source on your dais. I've always suspected that I read far more dissent on my own ideas than you do -- now I'm pretty damn sure.

I listen to conservative radio religiously, and I read Commentary, Culture11, and a handful of conservative blogs. I also watch Fox News from time to time.

Commentary is pure NeoConservatism. It's doesn't really reflect conservatism even if it does some of it. Pat's sources are in the main chiefly NC too.

HonestChieffan
03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
I guess local TV radio news does not count? By putting most on things I cannot honestly answer plus you left off major internet options that I use. Badly designed poll that will produce nothing of value.

Jenson71
03-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I've never heard of "local TV radio news" but there is the "Other" option which you can select.

banyon
03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I guess local TV radio news does not count? By putting most on things I cannot honestly answer plus you left off major internet options that I use. Badly designed poll that will produce nothing of value.

Do you just pretty much sit around and b*tch at people all day?

Good grief.

How about "bad post that will produce nothing of value"?

And WTF is "Local TV radio news"?

Hydrae
03-29-2009, 11:56 AM

I agree that I get a fair amount of my news listening to local broadcasts on my way to and from work.

Also, I don't know when I last read a newspaper.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I've never heard of "local TV radio news" but there is the "Other" option which you can select.

We have it here. Then there's the local talk shows on political.

patteeu
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM

I don't blame you for your lack of confidence in your ideology. Besides, I'm almost a generation ahead of you on this learning curve.

Listening/viewing the most diverse and expansive set of news sources possible isn't worth much if you still end up wrong.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Listening/viewing the most diverse and expansive set of news sources possible isn't worth much if you still end up wrong.

Good point. BTW tune into Lew and Justin Raimondo. ;) :) :D

HonestChieffan
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Local TV would be like if you live in Dodge City, they would have a Dodge City TV station or a Dodge City Radio station and they may have news...those would be "local" news more often than not. So in your case you would get pretty updated on the cattle on feed numbers, traffic on highway 50, maybe the goings on at the Jr College and the plans for this summers street dance and BBQ downntown by the big steer statue. No doubt they would have the daily mexican count as well

We have such things here.

banyon
03-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Local TV would be like if you live in Dodge City, they would have a Dodge City TV station or a Dodge City Radio station and they may have news...those would be "local" news more often than not. So in your case you would get pretty updated on the cattle on feed numbers, traffic on highway 50, maybe the goings on at the Jr College and the plans for this summers street dance and BBQ downntown by the big steer statue. No doubt they would have the daily mexican count as well

Those things are called "local TV" and "local radio" and not "Local TV radio News" in standard English. Local TV is listed, so it appears you're just b*tching about local radio not being listed as an option.

HonestChieffan
03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh thats ok, you were confused again.

Sully
03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I was just reading the local TV Radio Internet Newspaper the other day.

I grew a third eye.

banyon
03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh thats ok, you were confused again.

Yeah, Jenson too, everyone's confused but you.

It couldn't have been your perpetually sloppy use of poor spelling and grammar could it?

SNR
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I suspect I'll be the only vote up there for radio.

I have NPR playing in my office all day, and I'm also on Chiefsplanet. I rarely ever pick up a newspaper anymore.

I DO also subscribe to The Economist for international news, which is the deepest coverage of world issues around.

Jenson71
03-29-2009, 02:24 PM

I see. The only thing we have like that where I'm from is public access. I had local TV news from NBC, ABC, CBS. Like KWWL in Eastern Iowa, which is on NBC.

Could your choice be considered "Most of my TV news comes from an unlisted source"? I think that covers everything.

Sully
03-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Jenson too, everyone's confused but you.

It couldn't have been your perpetually sloppy use of poor spelling and grammar could it?

Your PMs are full, holmes.

banyon
03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Your PMs are full, holmes.

Done and done.

Direckshun
03-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't blame you for your lack of confidence in your ideology. Besides, I'm almost a generation ahead of you on this learning curve.

I actually think political confidence comes from openly engaging other perspectives, remaining open to them but ultimately believing yours is correct. You, meanwhile, have to shelter yourself from pervasively dissenting opinions. That oughtta protect you, lovingly, from the scary world of Reconsideration.

But you misunderstand. It's not that I listen to a MORE diverse, or MORE expansive set of news sources. I listen to diverse and expansive news sources, period. You don't. That pathetic echo chamber you depend on is about as ideologically diverse as the anchors on Fox News.

BucEyedPea
03-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Eh, pat's has admitted his youthful indiscretions. He did support Tsongas who was a command economy guy. Just for corporations.

wild1
03-29-2009, 05:00 PM
90% from the internet.

I check the trashy, bankrupt local newspaper's website for local news and local sports coverage.

In the car I listen to one of the talk radio stations in town.

TV - virtually nil

Sully
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
In the mornings I either listen to Steven St John or Howard Stern.
In the afternoons, "Afternoon Advice" with Tiffany Granath on the Playboy channel.

Otherwise, I go from music channel to music channel.

I read the KC Star.
I get a lot of info from Chiefs Planet.

I watch the evening news occasionally, mostly for weather, and as a lead-in to Wheel!!!

patteeu
03-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I actually think political confidence comes from openly engaging other perspectives, remaining open to them but ultimately believing yours is correct. You, meanwhile, have to shelter yourself from pervasively dissenting opinions. That oughtta protect you, lovingly, from the scary world of Reconsideration.

But you misunderstand. It's not that I listen to a MORE diverse, or MORE expansive set of news sources. I listen to diverse and expansive news sources, period. You don't. That pathetic echo chamber you depend on is about as ideologically diverse as the anchors on Fox News.

I know you want to believe what you're saying here, but it's just not accurate. The fact that you miscomprehend my post so badly tells me that you aren't as open to the things you read as you'd like to think. I am by no means sheltered from stupid leftwing ideas. I read them here every single day. There was a period of time a year or two ago when I don't think I could have read more Josh Marshall if I'd have been his personal proofreader because jAZ was mirroring his website here on an almost daily basis. And my exposure doesn't stop where the chiefsplanet.com domain ends. When I research a chiefsplanet topic that interests me, google returns results from all kinds of sites like commondreams, salon, and the new york times. I haven't figured out how to change my google settings to protect me from these dangerous thoughts yet. :rolleyes:

And this leaves aside the fact that we are all immersed in leftwing ideas on a daily basis just by virtue of our exposure to the general culture and the mainstream media.

patteeu
03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
...as a lead-in to Wheel!!!

LMAO

BucEyedPea
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
And this leaves aside the fact that we are all immersed in leftwing ideas on a daily basis just by virtue of our exposure to the general culture and the mainstream media.

Yes! Perhaps that's why they're also being bailed out!And I think the poll's graph shows why newspapers are going under.
Don't forget the education system.
The fact that some of us grew up lefties with all of this but can change shows one is open to the new ideas, not a permanent smorgasboard reading list.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 08:01 AM
I read the internet on my phone for a large portion of my news. Other sites like msn.com or cnn.com as well.

I watch the local news on television, and while I used to read the paper every day, haven't opened one in likely 3 years.

Brock
03-30-2009, 08:03 AM
You left off "The Daily Show" and SNL. /dumbass

patteeu
03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes! Perhaps that's why they're also being bailed out!And I think the poll's graph shows why newspapers are going under.
Don't forget the education system.
The fact that some of us grew up lefties with all of this but can change shows one is open to the new ideas, not a permanent smorgasboard reading list.

Yes. I've been out of the education system for a while so it doesn't have as much impact on me these days, but you're absolutely correct on that, IMO.

Direckshun
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I am by no means sheltered from stupid leftwing ideas. I read them here every single day. There was a period of time a year or two ago when I don't think I could have read more Josh Marshall if I'd have been his personal proofreader because jAZ was mirroring his website here on an almost daily basis. And my exposure doesn't stop where the chiefsplanet.com domain ends. When I research a chiefsplanet topic that interests me, google returns results from all kinds of sites like commondreams, salon, and the new york times. I haven't figured out how to change my google settings to protect me from these dangerous thoughts yet.

There's a difference in reading liberal ideas from laymen like ourselves (both directly spouted and cherry-picking the liberal articles that interest us), and actively perusing liberal or even left-leaning news sources from professionals who are experts at crafting their narratives. There's a HUGE difference.

Because the primary sources you're getting are conservative outlets that are professionals at crafting their case, whereas the primary (and let's face it: only) liberal arguments you hear are on behalf of regular joes. That's not a fair fight nine times out of ten.

That's like me utilizing MSNBC, the New Yorker, and the New Republic for my liberal perspectives, and reading HCF and SHTSPRAYER for my conservative perspectives. Yeah, the laymen's viewpoints are important, but they are rarely on the par with the quality you'll find in professional outlets.

I don't know why you're fighting the notion that you're ensconced in a conservative cocoon that you don't want challenged by hearing dissent. Everybody here knows it. Hell, YOU know it.

patteeu
03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
There's a difference in reading liberal ideas from laymen like ourselves (both directly spouted and cherry-picking the liberal articles that interest us), and actively perusing liberal or even left-leaning news sources from professionals who are experts at crafting their narratives. There's a HUGE difference.

Because the primary sources you're getting are conservative outlets that are professionals at crafting their case, whereas the primary (and let's face it: only) liberal arguments you hear are on behalf of regular joes. That's not a fair fight nine times out of ten.

That's like me utilizing MSNBC, the New Yorker, and the New Republic for my liberal perspectives, and reading HCF and SHTSPRAYER for my conservative perspectives. Yeah, the laymen's viewpoints are important, but they are rarely on the par with the quality you'll find in professional outlets.

I don't know why you're fighting the notion that you're ensconced in a conservative cocoon that you don't want challenged by hearing dissent. Everybody here knows it. Hell, YOU know it.

You're not paying attention. Josh Marshall, for example, isn't a regular joe. Just today I read a fluff piece about Senator Webb from Glenn Greenwald, who rarely says much that I find interesting. If this is how well you consume information, it won't matter how many diverse sites your eyes gaze upon.

banyon
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
You left off "The Daily Show" and SNL. /dumbass

Sadly there was that poll about how people who watched those shows were substantially better informed about world events than people who watched Fox News.