PDA

View Full Version : Life What am I supposed to do?

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
My dogs got out of the backyard...again. They just did it the other day and I had thought I fixed the problem. Well, tonight they got out again and this time I have no idea how. After an hour of looking we saw them coming back to my house so we got out to put them on leashes. They both decided to take off, my female ran to the backyard while the male took off in another direction. I eventually caught "skye". Well, then his collar broke and he took off again. I couldn't believe that he did that.

We're doing all this looking with a foot of snow on the ground and puddles of freezing ass cold water everywhere. I can't get out of my driveway to look for him. We followed him around trying to get him to stop with no luck. With our feet, socks and shoes socking wet we gave up. I'm worried about where he is and it's driving me crazy that he's not in my house.

What am I supposed to do?

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Get some dog treats or whatever will get him to come, and get back out there and find the dog.

Sorry that it sounds like it's been a shitty day.

Skip Towne
03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
How old is he? An older dog will come home when he gets hungry. A pup could get lost and not know how to get home.

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I trained my female from the day at I got her at week 6. She's now two years old and listens pretty good. I adopted him last June and he has problems listening all the time. If my female was the one running around I wouldn't be worried since she would make her way back home. I don't believe he is smart enough to do that.

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
How old is he? An older dog will come home when he gets hungry. A pup could get lost and not know how to get home.

A year and a half.

Mojo Rising
03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Are they fixed? I had that problem with a dog once and he wasn't fixed. I didn't want to clip him so I resigned myself to the fact that he would want to roam.

Higher fence. Chain. Be outside when s/he is out. Invisible fence. Not attractive solutions but you can't fight animal instincts.

Baconeater
03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Get some new dogs that aren't assholes.

Dunit35
Are they fixed? I had that problem with a dog once and he wasn't fixed. I didn't want to clip him so I resigned myself to the fact that he would want to roam.

Higher fence. Chain. Be outside when s/he is out. Invisible fence. Not attractive solutions but you can't fight animal instincts.

Both of them are fixed. He was fixed when I adopted him and she just got fixed a couple weeks ago.

I'm chaining my female up tomorrow and hopefully he will come back so I can do the same to him. I already miss the guy.

Count Zarth
Antifreeze?

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Get some dog treats or whatever will get him to come, and get back out there and find the dog.

Sorry that it sounds like it's been a shitty day.

I've got no treats and no flashlight. We ran out of treats (girlfriend picked some up but is out of town until tomorrow) and the flashlight is in her car.

MIAdragon
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM

LMAO

StcChief
03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
or no more dogs.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I've got no treats and no flashlight. We ran out of treats (girlfriend picked some up but is out of town until tomorrow) and the flashlight is in her car.

Human food.

Count Zarth
03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
You should have had your dogs trained on a whistle.

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Human food.

I took your advice and decided to drive around and look for him...just hoping I didn't get stuck.

I went out the front door and he was waiting on me by my car.

cdcox
03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I took your advice and decided to drive around and look for him...just hoping I didn't get stuck.

LMAO

Glad you have peace of mind about the safety of your dog now that he is home.

DeezNutz
03-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Great job, man!

Glad it worked out for you. No worries now.

Count Zarth
03-28-2009, 10:30 PM

LOL

Your dog pulled a prank on you. But clearly he wanted the antifreeze in that car.

bringbackmarty
03-28-2009, 10:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8648svGFc

bringbackmarty
03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
this guy is the best, although it's not too hard to do yourself, takes patience and time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFX-Ve6_jY&feature=related

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
LMAO

Glad you have peace of mind about the safety of your dog now that he is home.

He had that look in his eye, couldn't tell what he was thinking but it was probably "I guess I win at hide and seek cause you couldn't find me."

L.A. Chieffan
03-28-2009, 10:40 PM
cesar millan will come to ur house just axe him

Dunit35
03-28-2009, 10:41 PM
cesar millan will come to ur house just axe him

He can come to my house if he can teach him how not to be a d-bag.

KcMizzou
03-28-2009, 11:26 PM
cesar millan will come to ur house just axe himLMAO

Seriously.

I like the guy's show, and I don't even have a dog. (yet)

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Di_Dp/DogWhisperer/Crops/dog-whisperer12.jpg

CHENZ A!
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM

LMAO

tboss27
03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Glad you found him. What kind of breed are they? I have a black lab, almost 1 year old now. She was a very quick learner, house trained very soon and obeys commands most of the time. Only big problem is she darts out the front door anytime she has the opportunity. SHe's so dang quick it's impossible to catch her, I have to corner her when she goes to visit the neighbors dog and hope to grab a fist full of collar when she tries to get by me.

Count Zarth
03-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Almost forgot to post the video of Dunit35's epic adventure.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAMrqY1rGpY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAMrqY1rGpY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mojo Rising
03-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Get one of those cables with a wheel on a laundry line if you are going to chain them. Dogs do tend to get mean when chained. Make sure there aren't kids that will mess with them or neighbors roaming dogs.

Part of having a dog is exercising them. You might need to run them more, play fetch, drive to a field and let them off leash.

It is getting warmer now. Think about a porta potty and a keg and just staying out with them all night!

T-post Tom
03-29-2009, 12:40 AM
shock collar

http://www.jedroot.com/images/celebrities/lakshmi-p/p-lakshmi-bestlife-mj05-06.jpg

Hog Farmer
03-29-2009, 06:32 AM
There ain't nothin that can't be fixed with three hundred bucks and a thirty ought six !

Pioli Zombie
03-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Get them before someone fucks them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
03-29-2009, 10:16 AM
my dogs used to take off like that. Eventually the time comes when they get hit by a car and their guts fly out like a gdamn jack in the box

The Bad Guy
03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
LOL

Your dog pulled a prank on you. But clearly he wanted the antifreeze in that car.

You should drink some antifreeze.

Hog Rider
03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Try this:

COME.
HEAL.
Now get in the house!

J Diddy
03-29-2009, 10:59 AM
One of the guys owns a house on a busy street next to my store has a boxer, he's got one of those invisible fences for his dog. Damnedest thing i've ever seen that dog normally goes none stop running around the house , but never outside of the boundary.

keg in kc
03-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Try this:

COME.
HEAL.
Now get in the house!Heal? Medical dog?

Baconeater
03-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Heal? Medical dog?
Doggie Howser, MD.

keg in kc
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Groan.

Baconeater
03-29-2009, 11:28 AM
I'll be here all week.

Pioli Zombie
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
who would dogs choose as our best President?
Rover Cleveland
Posted via Mobile Device

mlyonsd
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
One of the guys owns a house on a busy street next to my store has a boxer, he's got one of those invisible fences for his dog. Damnedest thing i've ever seen that dog normally goes none stop running around the house , but never outside of the boundary.

A guy at work has one of those and he swears by it.

Pioli Zombie
03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
A house?
Posted via Mobile Device

PastorMikH
03-29-2009, 01:01 PM

We had one back when we did not have a fenced in backyard but had a Stupid Spaniel. She was pretty stupid, but she was smart enough to know if that colar started beeping she better back up.

Bury the wire that transmits the fm radio frequency and put the collar with the receiver and volts on the dog and it's not long before your dog learns the boundry. Worked great.

Dunit35
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
My female got out tonight. My girlfriend let her out, came in to the dining room and went back to let her in and she was gone.

I want an electric fence. What's a good one, that is cheap?

stlchiefs
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Train your dogs on voice command, it works and it's free!

rockymtnchief
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
My female got out tonight. My girlfriend let her out, came in to the dining room and went back to let her in and she was gone.

For in town, the invisible fence is better than an electric fence. Electric fences can become grounded and add noise or interference to your phone or cable tv. Or, it can cause your neighbor trouble and the phone guy will come and shut the damn thing off. (Yes I've done it before) And then the dog gets out again.

Silock
03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
You can mock Cesar Milan all you want, but his techniques work. When I adopted my dog from the shelter, I followed his advice from one of his books. My dog doesn't even need a leash to go outside now. She just follows me around and will immediately follow commands.

The problem is you, not the dogs.

PastorMikH
03-29-2009, 10:44 PM

I bought mine at Wal-mart. It was about 8 years ago, but I still see them there. Mine was a PetSafe brand and cost about $150. I was able to install it in 3-4 hours.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
You can mock Cesar Milan all you want, but his techniques work. When I adopted my dog from the shelter, I followed his advice from one of his books. My dog doesn't even need a leash to go outside now. She just follows me around and will immediately follow commands.

The problem is you, not the dogs.

Dude understands dogs. Must speak the language that they know.

I'm the pack leader at mi casa.

btlook1
03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Instead of the underground fence you might try a pet fence that is above ground. get a few posts and hook them up. Just let them get buzzed a few times then you can unplug them. They are for pets so it won't do much but give them a little shock. Of course if you live in the city the utility people might not like them...especially if they come in to your yard....The underground ones work great to however you need to put them under ground...also remember to take off the collar if you are going to take the dog across the boundry....fun times if you load him up and start to drive off with the collar still on and cross the wire!

Over-Head
03-30-2009, 05:44 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but what aout those "zaper collers" that jolt thm when they leave a certin area?
I know, I know, most folks would just as well choak them to death on a leash as it's more "humaine" :rolleyes:
Personally I see both sides, and always figured an animal should be able to "live free/run free" so to speak.
Just can't undertand having a pet chained up in the yard :shake:

Over-Head
03-30-2009, 05:45 AM
Dude understands dogs. Must speak the language that they know.

I'm the pack leader at mi casa.

Wof, wof, bark.
bark,bark, drool, slober lick bark bark :thumb:

patteeu
03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
shock collar

I agree. Get one of the ones that has the ability to generate a tone as well as a shock. If your dog is digging his way under the fence, for example, spend some time watching him out of your back window and shocking him every time he starts to dig near the fence. But in addition to the shock treatment, train him to come to you when he hears the tone for a treat or something so that if he does get out, you can reign him in and get him to head home with the tone.

Invisible fence (in addition to your physical fence) is a possibility too, but that's more expensive.

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Son of a...

Four-five of us have been chasing my male all day. He has crossed the busy highway atleast twice. One bro followed him for 30 minutes and couldnt get the dog to come to him. I just followed him for three blocks before giving up on him. He's been running around since 9:30 this morning. We tried getting him with treats, I even tried getting him to come to my female and that didn't work. He's either deaf or mentally retarded.

My soft-heart keeps telling me to not give up but I am fed up with him.

Buck
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Seriously?

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Wha

The cocksucker will do whatever it takes to escape, chew through collars, slip out of the tightest collars.

He needs to be on a farm.

bevischief
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Antifreeze.

LaChapelle
09-14-2009, 04:32 PM
You're going to have to him fixed.

Predarat
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Take him to Ron Mexicos Dog Training School.

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
He was fixed when I adopted him in May 08. I adopted him at full grown and tried my best to train him and nothing worked. I've had to put him on a chain even though my yard is fenced, I have to hold him by his collar when I take him to his chain. He will jump out first chance he gets.

Everybody thinks he is mentally retarded.

Bwana
09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
He was fixed when I adopted him in May 08. I adopted him at full grown and tried my best to train him and nothing worked. I've had to put him on a chain even though my yard is fenced, I have to hold him by his collar when I take him to his chain. He will jump out first chance he gets.

Everybody thinks he is mentally retarded.

I had a lab that was like that once. He escaped at least two dozen times. Finally it came to the point where I said fug it, if you want out that bad, be gone with your bad self. I hung him in the paper and he was gone the next day.

Mr. Plow
09-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Son of a...

Four-five of us have been chasing my male all day. He has crossed the busy highway atleast twice. One bro followed him for 30 minutes and couldnt get the dog to come to him. I just followed him for three blocks before giving up on him. He's been running around since 9:30 this morning. We tried getting him with treats, I even tried getting him to come to my female and that didn't work. He's either deaf or mentally retarded.

Wiener dogs are stubborn.

LaChapelle
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
I never got along well with male dogs. Only had 2, but it was always a battle.

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Finally got him. My fine neighbor caught him in her yard.

He always goes over there hangs out with her male dog...gay? possibly.

kstater
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Piece of advice. Keep him on a tie-down for now. Work with him every day until you can call him to you. It's one of the first things you should teach a dog, yet gets over-looked.

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Piece of advice. Keep him on a tie-down for now. Work with him every day until you can call him to you. It's one of the first things you should teach a dog, yet gets over-looked.

I need to get a better collar, one that he won't chew through or slip out of.

Any ideas?

Iowanian
09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Print rainbow bridge ahead of time....

kstater
09-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Any ideas?

If it can chew it, it's too loose.

If it can slip out of it, it's too loose.

Valiant
09-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Son of a...

Whistle at the dog, get his attention and then run away from him.. Generally they will chase you..

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 05:48 PM
If it can chew it, it's too loose.

If it can slip out of it, it's too loose.

Ha, I tightened it pretty tight this morning. Maybe it wasn't tight enough.

I bought him a harness collar last week and the son of a bitch chewed through it in less than an hour.

I was thinking a leather one would work better.

Dunit35
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Whistle at the dog, get his attention and then run away from him.. Generally they will chase you..

I tried that. He started following me and realized I was going back to the house.

Buehler445
09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Ha, I tightened it pretty tight this morning. Maybe it wasn't tight enough.

I bought him a harness collar last week and the son of a bitch chewed through it in less than an hour.

I was thinking a leather one would work better.

I'd put his ass on a choke chain.

Iowanian
09-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Show him a picture of Michael Vick and then staple it to the fence where he's getting out.

Silock
09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
How often do you walk him? I'm going to take a wild guess and say "not very often."

wutamess
09-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Seems to me you need to get rid of the fugger.
Had a dog that kept running away... Never looked for that fugger.

If all a dog has to do is run around in the yard, eat, sleep and shit and he still wants to run away, then have at it.

unothadeal
09-14-2009, 09:22 PM
You get out there and YOU FIND THAT FUCKING DOG!

ChiefJustice
09-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Any ideas?

Sell the dogs

Buy turtles

Problem solved

loochy
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/He82NBjJqf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/He82NBjJqf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>