PDA

View Full Version : MU Mizzou in talks to keep coach Anderson

PastorMikH
03-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Found this on ESPN, hadn't seen it here yet. If its a repost too bad, you all should have kept it on the front page or labeled in better.:p

Been a lot of talk over the last couple of weeks about MU needing to take care of Mike Anderson. Found this article on it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4023021

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Talks are under way to keep Missouri basketball coach Mike Anderson right where he is.

Athletics spokesman Chad Moller told The Associated Press on Friday there have been "informal talks about what can be done, and what needs to be done" to retain Anderson.

The third-year coach has led Missouri to one of the best seasons in school history, racking up a record 31 wins and a Big 12 conference tournament championship. The Tigers beat Memphis on Thursday to reach the NCAA regional finals.

Citing unnamed sources, The Kansas City Star reported Friday that Missouri is ready to raise Anderson's $850,000 annual salary to at least $1.3 million and renew his contract for five years.

Anderson has been mentioned as a candidate for coaching vacancies at Alabama and Georgia.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:43 PM
They better, He is the best thing to ever grace the hardwood for that school....

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2009, 11:47 PM
They better, He is the best thing to ever grace the hardwood for that school....

It's amazing to think how long Norm MacDonald was employed at that school, especially considering he never reached a Final 4.

KcMizzou
03-28-2009, 11:49 PM
It's amazing to think how long Norm MacDonald was employed at that school, especially considering he never reached a Final 4.:spock:

He was great doing the news on SNL.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Anderson might make a FF at MU, but now he is 2-3 years away from making that push again.

IF he stays long enough, he will finally pop MU's cherry..

wild1
03-28-2009, 11:50 PM
:spock:

Dirty Work kind of tarnishes his legacy in my opinion.

wild1
03-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Anderson might make a FF at MU, but now he is 2-3 years away from making that push again.

Why is he 2-3 years away?

DaneMcCloud
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
:spock:

That was a joke, Homey.

Kinda like Norm.

Don't get me wrong; I'm no MU hater. I just think they allowed him to have that job for far too long. At least they learned their lesson and fired Quinn.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM

So your saying next years MU team is a FF team?

wild1
03-28-2009, 11:54 PM
So your saying next years MU team is a FF team?

This year's team was about 3 minutes away from it. What catastrophe puts them 2-3 years away?

Sure-Oz
03-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Mike Anderson was a damn great hire

KcMizzou
03-28-2009, 11:55 PM

IF he stays long enough, he will finally pop MU's cherry..You Beakers were so respectful before...

Suddenly, It's safe to come out and stomp on the the Tigers.

Fuck you all. But you specifically, Reetard.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
This year's team was about 3 minutes away from it. What catastrophe puts them 2-3 years away?

I never said there as a catastrophe in the waiting...

But are you guys losing alot of your Upper classmen? Who is your big man inside next year?

Seems to me that your losing alot and not alot of experience replacing it... Kind of like KU this year...

Sure-Oz
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM

We're globo gym and we're better than you and we know it!!111111111111111/asshole ku fan

petegz28
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM

CAuse Retard thinks only Bill Self and KU is the only team capable of going to the tourny with a young team. I saw a lot of promise out of Safford and Ramsey today.

Reerun_KC
03-28-2009, 11:58 PM
You Beakers were so respectful before...

**** you all. But you specifically, Reetard.

Not following you here?

So saying that Coach Anderson is good enough to get MU to a FF is disrespectul? Then I am guilty...

Sorry buddy, but Coach Anderson is a solid coach.. IF MU locks him up, he can take MU to heights you have only dreamed of...

So Fuck me all you want... Really looks stupid bashing someone that agrees with you...

Sure-Oz
03-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Not following you here?

So saying that Coach Anderson is good enough to get MU to a FF is disrespectul? Then I am guilty...

Sorry buddy, but Coach Anderson is a solid coach.. IF MU locks him up, he can take MU to heights you have only dreamed of...

So **** me all you want... Really looks stupid bashing someone that agrees with you...

The 2-3 years part is BS

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:00 AM
CAuse Retard thinks only Bill Self and KU is the only team capable of going to the tourny with a young team. I saw a lot of promise out of Safford and Ramsey today.

WOW dude...

I think your totally missing the point....

But typical.. Someone gives you guys credit and all you can do is bash them based on their teams affiliation...

I thought you were better than that... Guess I was wrong... Gave you way to much credit...

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
The 2-3 years part is BS

Fair enough..

Hell KU is 2-3 years away from a FF if Collins and Alrdich leave... IF they stay they might be a FF team. But there is no gurantees...

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 12:03 AM
WOW dude...

But typical.. Someone gives you guys credit and all you can do is bash them based on their teams affiliation...

I thought you were better than that... Guess I was wrong... Gave you way to much credit...LMAO

It's the fact that you can't give a compliment unless it's "back-handed".

Really, that's all..

PastorMikH
03-29-2009, 12:04 AM

I don't think so. Not only does the system of bench rotation wear opposing teams down, it gives the younger players a lot more playing time and experience.

Though we will lose Carroll, Lawrence, and Lyons from the starting lineup, right now Safford's been dependable off the bench and can probably handle Lyon's role next year, Ramsey has done decent over the last month when Carroll is on the bench, and MU fans were calling for English in for Lawrence in the last 3 games.

We have some decent freshmen and I'm told the recruiting class is decent as well. And who knows who we may get in JuCo transfers after this run.

No reason at all why we should tank for a few years after this run.

wild1
03-29-2009, 12:05 AM
WOW dude...

I thought you were better than that... Guess I was wrong... Gave you way to much credit...

if that is giving credit i wonder what bashing looks like

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:05 AM
LMAO

Really, that's all..

Yeah, I think I am going to back out of this conversation.... No need to discuss MU/Coach Anderson and what a solid job he has done at MU with a bunch of paranoid MU fans...

There was nothing backhanded about any of it... Just wanted to discuss basketball. But I will take a hint and realize no matter how complimentary you are, MU fans still take it wrong and scream bloody murder...

Enjoy.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 12:06 AM
LMAO

Really, that's all..

Not to mention, The capital "IF" he stays...

Then you try to play the "who, me?" card...

Again... Fuck you, Reetard.

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I don't think so. Not only does the system of bench rotation wear opposing teams down, it gives the younger players a lot more playing time and experience.

Though we will lose Carroll, Lawrence, and Lyons from the starting lineup, right now Safford's been dependable off the bench and can probably handle Lyon's role next year, Ramsey has done decent over the last month when Carroll is on the bench, and MU fans were calling for English in for Lawrence in the last 3 games.

We have some decent freshmen and I'm told the recruiting class is decent as well. And who knows who we may get in JuCo transfers after this run.

We need an all out monster like Carroll and I won't miss Lyons, that guy underachieved too much. Dude was afraid of contact today against Thabeet, he should've taken advantage of that matchup and gotten him fouled out. Instead he did fade way jumpers as usual. Regardless he was a piece that helped at times, i just expected more.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I think I am going to back out of this conversation.... No need to discuss MU/Coach Anderson and what a solid job he has done at MU with a bunch of paranoid MU fans...

There was nothing backhanded about any of it... Just wanted to discuss basketball. But I will take a hint and realize no matter how complimentary you are, MU fans still take it wrong and scream bloody murder...

Enjoy.Bullshit.

The Bad Guy
03-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Dirty Work kind of tarnishes his legacy in my opinion.

No freaking way.

Dirty Work was fucking hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

There are so many funny lines in that movie.

wild1
03-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Enjoy.

jeez if i wanted this bob and weave BS i'd go argue with my wife

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:09 AM

Never said you would tank... Just being a realist... There is no way KU is a FF contender without Collins and Aldrich next year. Hell both of those guys will contend for NCAA players of the year if they return. IF they go, KU is 2-3 years from a FF appearance. IF they can make it? As you can see, your best team in years didnt make it. Its not easy and there wasnt anything about tanking...

Anderson is a good coach... Nothing about tanking, but next years run deep in to the tourney will be more challenging, Same for KU, if those 2 are gone, I wouldnt be surprised IF they dont even make it out of the first round.

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Bullshit.

Cry in your beer buddy..

Its okay....

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:11 AM
jeez if i wanted this bob and weave BS i'd go argue with my wife

Yeah no shit... I hear ya buddy....

Probably be more productive...

Reerun_KC
Not to mention, The capital "IF" he stays...

Then you try to play the "who, me?" card...

Again... **** you, Reetard.

Yeah and IF Collins and Aldrich stay or go...

So what?

KcMizzou
Cry in your beer buddy..

Its okay....Will do...

Try to whipe the slobber off your chin now and then.

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Will do...

Try to whipe the slobber off your chin now and then.

Its my helmet and drool bucket, I will use them as I see fit...

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 12:14 AM
31 fucking wins, i love it, GO MA, GO MIZZOU!

I am so stoked for college BB next year

Reerun_KC
03-29-2009, 12:16 AM
31 ****ing wins, i love it, GO MA, GO MIZZOU!

I hope MU can lock up Anderson for years to come... Just something about him that I like... He is very classy.... He took you guys on a great run this year. Good for MU and the Conference...

So all you haters can get over it... This Jayhawk wants Coach Anderson in the conference...

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I hope MU can lock up Anderson for years to come... Just something about him that I like... He is very classy.... He took you guys on a great run this year. Good for MU and the Conference...

So all you haters can get over it... This Jayhawk wants Coach Anderson in the conference...

He is extremely classy, couldn't have asked for a better guy to cleanup Quinn's shit.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 12:17 AM
To make a FF, teams need to have NBA talent on the roster.

What we saw today speaks to this. A really good team and system went up against another team with generally superior talent.

If Anderson can do this much with limited talent, imagine what he could do with a horse or two...

Lock up the state of Missouri, and these horses will appear sooner rather than later.

Fairplay
03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Fair enough..

Hell KU is 2-3 years away from a FF if Collins and Alrdich leave... IF they stay they might be a FF team. But there is no gurantees...

I agree.

Fairplay
03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4023021

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Talks are under way to keep Missouri basketball coach Mike Anderson right where he is.

Athletics spokesman Chad Moller told The Associated Press on Friday there have been "informal talks about what can be done, and what needs to be done" to retain Anderson.

The third-year coach has led Missouri to one of the best seasons in school history, racking up a record 31 wins and a Big 12 conference tournament championship. The Tigers beat Memphis on Thursday to reach the NCAA regional finals.

Citing unnamed sources, The Kansas City Star reported Friday that Missouri is ready to raise Anderson's $850,000 annual salary to at least $1.3 million and renew his contract for five years.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Give him the dough.

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 12:43 AM
MU should throw the house at Anderson. I think the first 2 years were a product of the talent that was there before. I think if he continues to bring in his guys, there will be more seasons like this one than the last.

You Beakers were so respectful before...

Fuck you all. But you specifically, Reetard.

Hey, I haven't been anything but respectful on this board. THIS WHOLE SEASON. (What I yell at the TV not withstanding) Not all of us are fuckers. Calm down dude.

Yeah, I was impressed with Safford today. He played well. Where'd he come from??? I think I heard he was a soph, is that right?

He looks like he can replace Carroll from a hustle standpoint, but from a physical standpoint, I don't know.

Its my helmet and drool bucket, I will use them as I see fit...

How many times do I have to tell you...HELMET ON!

31 fucking wins, i love it, GO MA, GO MIZZOU!

I heard Bilas say that was the first 30 win season for you guys. That's a big deal.

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
MU should throw the house at Anderson. I think the first 2 years were a product of the talent that was there before. I think if he continues to bring in his guys, there will be more seasons like this one than the last.

Hey, I haven't been anything but respectful on this board. THIS WHOLE SEASON. (What I yell at the TV not withstanding) Not all of us are ****ers. Calm down dude.

Yeah, I was impressed with Safford today. He played well. Where'd he come from??? I think I heard he was a soph, is that right?

He looks like he can replace Carroll from a hustle standpoint, but from a physical standpoint, I don't know.

How many times do I have to tell you...HELMET ON!

I heard Bilas say that was the first 30 win season for you guys. That's a big deal.

It is a big deal, the MU vs KU rivalry is better when both teams are solid, and way better for the big 12. My favorite MU season probably ever...and ive liked alot of other teams like the ones with Dooling, Rush, and Jason Sutherland etc.

Hard not to love the work ethic and never say die attitude of this current tiger team.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey, I haven't been anything but respectful on this board. THIS WHOLE SEASON. (What I yell at the TV not withstanding) Not all of us are ****ers. Calm down dude.

Meh, I know. I got a little wound up there. My bad. I certainly didn't mean you. (Metrolike, and Vanillathunder come to mind.)

beavis
03-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Back the truck up, give him whatever he wants.

I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan when they hired him, but he proved his worth this year.

beer bacon
03-29-2009, 01:36 AM

At best they will finish 7th in the Big 12. Just like this season's team.

beer bacon
03-29-2009, 01:40 AM

What we saw today speaks to this. A really good team and system went up against another team with generally superior talent.

If Anderson can do this much with limited talent, imagine what he could do with a horse or two...

Lock up the state of Missouri, and these horses will appear sooner rather than later.

This MU team had enough talent to beat UConn or any other team in the country. MU did not do three things today. Doing any of these three things could have meant a Mizzou victory today:

1) Shot their average from the three point line.
2) Shot their average from the free throw line.
3) If Leo would have kept pulling Thabeet to the perimeter then driven on him. Thabeet would have fouled out. For whatever reason, Leo decided to settle for perimeter jump shots the entire second half.

Doing the first two would have guaranteed a win.

Silock
03-29-2009, 01:46 AM

Promise is one thing... if they can do it without the senior leadership they had, that will be another. Not saying it's not possible. Just saying that it's much easier to play better when the pressure isn't on you as much.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Promise is one thing... if they can do it without the senior leadership they had, that will be another. Not saying it's not possible. Just saying that it's much easier to play better when the pressure isn't on you as much.I think Tiller is gonna be key.

I'm not saying that they'll match this team's run... but JT Tiller is the type of gritty player that leads by example.

Mizzou will have a good season again next year.

beer bacon
03-29-2009, 01:51 AM
I think Tiller is gonna be key.

I'm not saying that they'll match this team's run... but JT Tiller is the type of gritty player that leads by example.

Mizzou will have a good season again next year.

Tiller and Taylor are already team leaders.

alanm
03-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Just asking a question here but what is it with Missouri's AD when a team has a good year they feel the need to ink said coach for multiple years and armored cars full of money?
I can see giving a guy a bonus for having a good year and making the elite 8 but not going off the deep end about it. :hmmm:

beer bacon
03-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Just asking a question here but what is it with Missouri's AD when a team has a good year they feel the need to ink said coach for multiple years and armored cars full of money?
I can see giving a guy a bonus for having a good year and making the elite 8 but not going off the deep end about it. :hmmm:

Because now that he has shown he can build an elite team another school will give him the big bucks if Mizzou doesn't.

CoMoChief
03-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Oh I dunno maybe that their top 2 players are sr's and they're leaving.

And their only shooting threat is leaving as well.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 08:48 AM

This.

People are failing to realize that Anderson was about 2 minutes away from a Final Four with Quin's leftover players that everyone thought could not play and generally low-level recruits.

Anderson came to Mizzou at the worst time in our program's history. We were coming off the embarrassment of the Quin fiasco, were on probation, had no players, and most Mizzou fans had given up on the program.

Three years later, we are in the Elite Eight, Big 12 Champs, have wins over Memphis, KU, OU, Marquette, Texas, OSU, and Cal. We combined one of the most suffocating defenses in the country with one of the smartest and most efficient offenses.

Losing our top three scorers will hurt, but this isn't football; it's stupid to say any team is 2-3 years away from any goal when one player has the ability to change a program. Replacing Carroll will be the toughest part, not only because he was a great player, but also because he was our leader and the young players looked up to him.

Long story short, the future is finally bright for Missouri basketball.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
The rest of us may as well pack it in. Missouri is here now!!!

WilliamTheIrish
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM
It's a double edged sword boys. Expectations get raised, experienced players move on. Maybe Tiller produces for a whole season like he produced for three games. A lot of things have to go right for teams to get there.

To think the guys remaining on the roster can reproduce what happened this season is a giant leap (IMO).

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 09:35 AM
This MU team had enough talent to beat UConn or any other team in the country. MU did not do three things today. Doing any of these three things could have meant a Mizzou victory today:

3) If Leo would have kept pulling Thabeet to the perimeter then driven on him. Thabeet would have fouled out. For whatever reason, Leo decided to settle for perimeter jump shots the entire second half.

Leo is a big pussy that's why...it was so obvious to go inside and when he did he'd try to avoid getting hit and get a shot in...im glad he's going.

alanm
03-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Because now that he has shown he can build an elite team another school will give him the big bucks if Mizzou doesn't.I think that happens more often at schools where the coaches aren't promoted from within. It must be the paranoid factor. ;)

ArrowheadHawk
03-29-2009, 10:08 AM
He is good for the big 12. They should keep him.

alanm
03-29-2009, 10:14 AM
This.

People are failing to realize that Anderson was about 2 minutes away from a Final Four with Quin's leftover players that everyone thought could not play and generally low-level recruits.

Anderson came to Mizzou at the worst time in our program's history. We were coming off the embarrassment of the Quin fiasco, were on probation, had no players, and most Mizzou fans had given up on the program.

Three years later, we are in the Elite Eight, Big 12 Champs, have wins over Memphis, KU, OU, Marquette, Texas, OSU, and Cal. We combined one of the most suffocating defenses in the country with one of the smartest and most efficient offenses.

Losing our top three scorers will hurt, but this isn't football; it's stupid to say any team is 2-3 years away from any goal when one player has the ability to change a program. Replacing Carroll will be the toughest part, not only because he was a great player, but also because he was our leader and the young players looked up to him.

Long story short, the future is finally bright for Missouri basketball.I know I'm splitting hairs with you here but I seem to recall Kansas winning the Big 12 this season. Missouri won the conference tournament . And the same reasoning follows in football where Missouri shared the standings for the Big 12 North with Kansas and Nebraska respectively but won the tie breakers both seasons to advance to the title game. Just setting the record straight. ;)

alanm
03-29-2009, 10:23 AM
The rest of us may as well pack it in. Missouri is here now!!!They had a very good year no doubt. Sustaining it will be the key factor.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I know I'm splitting hairs with you here but I seem to recall Kansas winning the Big 12 this season. Missouri won the conference tournament . And the same reasoning follows in football where Missouri shared the standings for the Big 12 North with Kansas and Nebraska respectively but won the tie breakers both seasons to advance to the title game. Just setting the record straight. ;)

You're not splitting hairs, Kansas did win the Big XII Conference. Missouri finished 3rd. Missouri did win the conference tournament but some of the fans don't know the difference. Excuse them, they've never won anything before.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
You're not splitting hairs, Kansas did win the Big XII Conference. Missouri finished 3rd. Missouri did win the conference tournament but some of the fans don't know the difference. Excuse them, they've never won anything before.

The conference has two separate championships each year. kansas is Big 12 regular season champs. Missouri is Big 12 tournament champs. Thus, both are Big 12 champs. You'd think uber basketball fans like ku would understand such a simple concept by now.

Not sure why that is so difficult for your mind to comprehend, but I'll give you a pass for now because your old brain must be struggling to keep up after seeing Mizzou go farther than the beaks this season.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Absolutely agree that they *could* have beaten anyone, including UConn.

Might point is, though, that not having elite talent gives one almost no room for error. Teams do go cold from outside and the line; it's just part of the game. Superior talent allows you to overcome this.

UConn fans think their team played like absolute shit yesterday. Turnovers, 3-point shooting, etc. What was the difference in the game, then?

I'd say that one spectacular guard would be a good start at justifying who won and who lost.

Al Bundy
03-29-2009, 10:38 AM
The conference has two separate championships each year. kansas is Big 12 regular season champs. Missouri is Big 12 tournament champs. Thus, both are Big 12 champs. You'd think uber basketball fans like ku would understand such a simple concept by now.

Not sure why that is so difficult for your mind to comprehend, but I'll give you a pass for now because your old brain must be struggling to keep up after seeing Mizzou go farther than the beaks this season.

I gotta say.. I have met some KU fans that are overall huge and knowledgeable college basketball fans, but a good number are like Dallas Cowboy fans and only know their team but don't know college basketball.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 10:59 AM

It really is funny watching you talk out of your ass about Mizzou basketball.

"Only shooting threat"... right. Kim English is a TERRIBLE shooter. :rolleyes: So is Marcus Denmon (who was sitting at 40 percent before hitting the freshman wall).

Did you happen to notice which forward played heavy minutes down the stretch against UCONN in place of Carroll and Lyons, btw? Justin Safford? But he's garbage, too, I'm sure.

Missouri actually played better with the Ramsey/Safford combo on the floor yesterday than it did with Carroll and Lyons.

Not saying Missouri will make the Final Four next year, but the loss of Lyons/Carroll isn't going to drop the Tigers into an abyss.

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 11:09 AM
This.

Long story short, the future is finally bright for Missouri basketball.

What you said....and what seems to be hard to the less knowledgable KU fans to remember is that they were once where we are now. The team was hit with sanctions, their cupboard "appeared" bare, and the future wasn't as bright as they were used to seeing.

Then they hired an untested NC Tarheel assistant who took them to many NCAA tourneys (save for the year they were on probation). He cleaned up after a coach who left them in a lurch and with a scandal

Acting like we will be '1 year wonders" is just plain stupid. We are losing Carroll and Lyons, but we have Tiller who was just as much a leader in crunch time as anyone. Ramsey and Safford showed absolutely no fear yesterday, and they will slip into Lyons role easily.

We are a team with several Frosh and Sophs that got valuable experience this year. Paul, English, and Denmon will prove to be a valuable trio at guard over the next 3 years and hopefully one of them will develop the more consistent outside shot.

I still say our biggest need is an inside big man who can bullify/nullify guys like Aldrich and Griffin.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 11:12 AM
It really is funny watching you talk out of your ass about Mizzou basketball.

"Only shooting threat"... right. Kim English is a TERRIBLE shooter. :rolleyes: So is Marcus Denmon (who was sitting at 40 percent before hitting the freshman wall).

Did you happen to notice which forward played heavy minutes down the stretch against UCONN in place of Carroll and Lyons, btw? Justin Safford? But he's garbage, too, I'm sure.

Missouri actually played better with the Ramsey/Safford combo on the floor yesterday than it did with Carroll and Lyons.

Not saying Missouri will make the Final Four next year, but the loss of Lyons/Carroll isn't going to drop the Tigers into an abyss.

He's hoping more than knowing.....he was wrong all along about this Mizzou team and it sticks in his craw whether he will admit it or not.

I like the fact that Ramsey and Safford came out and played so well..it shows that are stocked on the bench.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
03-29-2009, 11:14 AM
It's a double edged sword boys. Expectations get raised, experienced players move on. Maybe Tiller produces for a whole season like he produced for three games. A lot of things have to go right for teams to get there.

To think the guys remaining on the roster can reproduce what happened this season is a giant leap (IMO).

The above can be said for almost every team in the NCAA tournament.

mmaddog

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Tiller staying is far more important, IMO, than Carroll leaving.

It's going to be a very interesting season in the Big 12 North. KU, with Collins and Aldrich, will be a force, KSU has a great recruiting class coming in, and Mizzou will remain a strong team--they're going to be top 4 in the conference even with the losses.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Tiller staying is far more important, IMO, than Carroll leaving.

It's going to be a very interesting season in the Big 12 North. KU, with Collins and Aldrich, will be a force, KSU has a great recruiting class coming in, and Mizzou will remain a strong team--they're going to be top 4 in the conference even with the losses.

I'd put the odds both Collins and Aldrich are back at about 20 percent. And I think that's being generous.

Aldrich will be a lottery pick and likely a top 10 guy. Collins has a kid, and honestly, his stock isn't going to improve (but it could get worse). Not a stretch at all to see both make the jump. I think Collins might come back, but who knows for sure? Aldrich would be making a mistake to pass up the first-round bucks, though, I think. He's still very raw offensively with huge potential. It's best to make the NBA move when that potential is still considering huge. Say, for instance, he comes back next year and doesn't develop any more offensively. That's going to hurt his stock a lot (ask Ryan Minor and Rickey Paulding about that, for a few Big 12 references).

And mmadog...

You're right about the "every team in the tournament" thing. For the most part, every team will have losses.

As for the big guy/inside depth comment. Yes, Missouri should be very deep and solid inside. It's starting to look good for Mizzou with JUCO C Jarrid Famous. He's that big guy you're looking for. A little bigger than Lyons, stronger, better defender, and pretty skilled for a center (not as skilled as Lyons, but still very skilled). Also more tough-minded/inside focused than Lyons.

The idea of throwing a Famous/Safford/Ramsey/Bowers/DeWitt frontcourt at teams has me feeling pretty good. Maybe that group isn't as efficient scoring the ball as Lyons/Carroll, but it will be stronger defensively and more athletic.

The Missouri guards CAN be much bigger scorers than they were this season, and next year they will be.

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Anderson on the Kentucky Hot List:

<OBJECT id=rvflash codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=60 width=620 classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

</p>&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
<EMBED SRC=http://vmedia.rivals.com/flash/contentheadlines.swf?h1=HOT+BOARD%3A+Tracking+UK+coaching+search+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink= WIDTH=620 HEIGHT=60 SALIGN=lt QUALITY=best SCALE=noborder wmode=transparent ID=rvflash NAME=rvflash BGCOLOR=#FFFFFF allowscriptaccess=always TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

CatsPause.com
<SCRIPT language=javascript>document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>
<TABLE width="97%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>For the second time in only two years, Kentucky finds itself in search of a coach to lead the nation's all-time winningest program following the early exit of Billy Gillispie after just two seasons and a combined record of 40-27. Many of the names on the early "wish list" will be familiar to those who followed the search after Tubby Smith's departure in March 2007 CatsPause.com will work to keep our readers in the know with the latest info. Today, an early candidate list.

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#3a379b>CatsPause.com's Coaching Hot Board

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="100%" bgColor=#890d25><TABLE cellSpacing=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Candidates</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Notes</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Wright120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775502.jpg', '775502.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238168108000, 'Wright120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775502.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Wright120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Jay Wright
Head Coach
Villanova
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Jay Wright, who emerged as a Plan B target two years ago, might well have moved to the head of the class with Billy Gillispie's departure. But on Friday, Wright voiced a desire to stay put. "I don't want my name mentioned anywhere," he said. "I love Villanova. I've got a great athletic director, great president. As long as those guys are there, I'm good."

Beyond that, one possible drawback would be Wright's exiting an established program and walking away from a team that will feature seven McDonald's All-Americans on next year's roster.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Calipari120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775507.jpg', '775507.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238168335000, 'Calipari120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775507.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Calipari120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>John Calipari
Head Coach
Memphis
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>The most polarizing choice among Kentucky fans is Memphis coach John Calipari, a proven winner who is now available with the Tigers' exit from NCAA play in the Sweet 16. Like Donovan, Calipari said Friday that he is happy in Memphis.

Calipari features an offensive system that leads to up-tempo, high-scoring games and his recruiting success has no rival. In fact, the 2009 recruiting haul already lined up makes it intriguing on whether Calipari would leave Memphis at this time.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Pelphrey120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775500.jpg', '775500.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238168051000, 'Pelphrey120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775500.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Pelphrey120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>John Pelphrey
Head Coach
Arkansas
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>If not for a complete meltdown by Arkansas – the Razorbacks were a dreadful 2-14 in SEC play this year – then John Pelphrey's return to Lexington now might be a foregone conclusion.

The former "Unforgettable" has proven himself as coach at Marshall and South Alabama and was turning heads this season when Arkansas stunned Oklahoma and Texas within a one-week span. But then the wheels fell off and Arkansas is now receiving queries from the NCAA over recruiting.

None of that dismisses Pelphrey, but it takes it off the list as a "no-brainer" hire for the Cats.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Ford120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775498.jpg', '775498.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238167983000, 'Ford120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775498.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Ford120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Travis Ford
Head Coach
Oklahoma State
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>The former UK standout has become one of the best young names in the profession for his work at Eastern Kentucky and UMass, leading both programs back from recent hard times and into postseason play, and now by placing Oklahoma State in the NCAA Tournament in his second season in Stillwater.

Ford possesses the fiery competitiveness and coaching style of his former coach (Pitino) that would endear itself to many UK fans. The concern would be a lack of proven success as a Ford team has never reached the NCAA Sweet 16.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Izzo120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775503.jpg', '775503.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238168017000, 'Izzo120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775503.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Izzo120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Tom Izzo
Head Coach
Michigan State
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Style of play might be a sticking point with some fans, but there is no denying the success of Tom Izzo at Michigan State. The former national champion coach has his Spartans in the 2009 NCAA Sweet 16 for the seventh time in nine seasons.

The Spartans have always displayed a tough, gritty style that resonates from Izzo. While it's uncertain whether he'd entertain ideas of leaving his native home, the Kentucky job might present a challenge that he's willing to take at this stage in his career.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Donovan120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775501.jpg', '775501.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238167862000, 'Donovan120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775501.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Donovan120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Billy Donovan
Head Coach
Florida
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>It's déjà vu all over again as Kentucky has a coaching vacancy and Billy Donovan is among those at the top of the list. But Donovan tried to douse those flames Friday, saying: "In response to the rumors circulating about my interest in other jobs, I wanted to address this as quickly as possible. I'm committed to the University of Florida."

Donovan nearly became the UK coach two years ago, but the $3.5 million, seven-year deal fell through in the final stages as did a decision by Donovan to coach the NBA Orlando Magic.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Pitino120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775499.jpg', '775499.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238168083000, 'Pitino120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775499.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Pitino120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Rick Pitino
Head Coach
Louisville
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Don't laugh. We know it's a long shot. But consider that Pitino has often admitted that leaving Kentucky was the biggest mistake he ever made in his coaching career. Plus, despite coaching Louisville he has continued to surround himself with "UK" people from assistants Walter McCarty and Steve Masiello to friends Ron Carmichael and Rick Robey. From a coaching standpoint, Pitino admitted this week he considered taking the Providence job last year. "I wanted to sit down and talk with them about the job to see if I did want to come back because of personal reasons that were very deep to me," he said.

Given his unqualified success previously at Kentucky, the Cats' administration would be wise to make Pitino tell them no before considering other options.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Matta120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775861.jpg', '775861.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238210427000, 'Matta120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775861.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Matta120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Thad Matta
Head Coach
Ohio State
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Continued success at Ohio State, including Big Ten championships, and a tremendous track record in recruiting could make Thad Matta an attractive option for Kentucky.

Matta has won at least 20 games in all nine seasons as a collegiate head coach. Matta and Mark Few are the only active head coaches to have won at least 20 games in every season as a head coach. Few has done so 10 times.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Miller120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775862.jpg', '775862.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238210470000, 'Miller120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775862.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Miller120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Sean Miller
Head Coach
Xavier
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>How highly regarded is Sean Miller in his current position as coach of Xavier? He recently signed a contract extension that runs through the 2017-18 season, a 10-year extension at the time. He now has nine years remaining.

Miller just completed his fifth season at Xavier, which ended with an NCAA Sweet 16 loss to top-seeded Pitt. He is now 120-47 at the helm of X and is a former Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center width=80 bgColor=#e1e1e1><!--Start Anderson120X150 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775540.jpg', '775540.jpg', 0, 150, 120, 1, '', '', 1238173594000, 'Anderson120X150', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=122>http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/775540.jpg</TD><TD width=6>http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/spacer1.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Anderson120X150 Image--></TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Mike Anderson
Head Coach
Missouri
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" bgColor=#e1e1e1>Each postseason brings new names to the coaching forefront and in 2009 that person, unquestionably, is Mike Anderson, now in his third season at Missouri. Earlier this week, his third-seeded Tigers upended No. 2 seed Memphis to advance to the NCAA Elite Eight.

The former Nolan Richardson assistant has parlayed his own "40 Minutes of Hell" style into success at Alabama-Birmingham and now Mizzou. Fans of Kentucky will remember that it was Anderson's UAB team that shocked the No. 1-seeded Cats in the 2004 NCAA Tourney.
</TD></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Talk about it in The House of Blue (http://kentucky.rivals.com/forum.asp?SID=888&FID=1150)

Al Bundy
03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Kentucky is Notre Dame football.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Anderson is too smart to take that job. It is a shit pit.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm surprised Rick Barnes and Jamie Dixon aren't getting more attention for the UK job.

I think now would be a great time to pounce on Barnes. He could bring in the top recruits UK fans crave and actually has a solid track record.

alanm
03-29-2009, 01:42 PM
If I had to wager a wild guess I would think Travis Ford would be a guy they would go hard after. Sometimes you just have to take a chance on a young coach. Plus the guy is Kentucky family.

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
for those who are interested here's a story about next year's team at Mizzou:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/077C9881709C03D486257588001220B0?OpenDocument

Underclassmen offer hope for Mizzou

By Vahe Gregorian (VGregorian@post-dispatch.com)
OF THE POST-DISPATCH
03/29/2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. —If Mizzou coach Mike Anderson is not wooed away by would-be suitors from other schools, MU's immediate future appears promising despite the 82-75 loss to Connecticut in the NCAA Tournament West Regional.

Mizzou obviously will miss four departing seniors, including starters DeMarre Carroll, Leo Lyons and Matt Lawrence. They combined for 38 points Saturday.

"They built this program up," said junior guard J.T. Tiller, who called it an honor to have played with them. "I'm just following their lead."

But MU made its second-half run to take a 50-49 lead largely on the shoulders of reserves and underclassmen.
Those efforts included eight points, three assists, two steals and a blocked shot by forward Keith Ramsey and nine points by forward Justin Safford. That pair, along with freshman Laurence Bowers, figure to anchor the front line next season.

Meanwhile, starting guards Tiller and Zaire Taylor return, as do freshman guards Kim English, Marcus Denmon and Miguel Paul.

"They got to come in as freshmen and see a lot of success. Hopefully, they will ride it on for the next three years," Lyons said, later adding, "This program is going to be the same or even better. I think they will be better, because these guys came in on their first year, second year, and now they're in the Elite Eight.

"Now they know success, and hopefully they will keep it up. J.T. is captain. He will be the leader of the team next year. With somebody who works hard like he does, the rest of the team will follow.

"Everybody better watch out for Mizzou basketball next year."
NOTEWORTHY

MU committed just six turnovers and had 21 assists, led by Tiller's five. ... The Tigers went to the free-throw line just 12 times compared to Connecticut's 32. The Huskies made 26. But MU could have changed the complexion of the last few minutes of the game had it made more than six. ... Mizzou held 7-foot-3 Hasheem Thabeet to five points, though he had 13 rebounds. ... MU lands at Columbia Regional Airport at 1:45 Sunday afternoon and plans to hold a rally at Mizzou Arena at 2:15.

PastorMikH
03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
If I had to wager a wild guess I would think Travis Ford would be a guy they would go hard after. Sometimes you just have to take a chance on a young coach. Plus the guy is Kentucky family.

And he has a history of bailing for kentucky after spending just one year with another team.

PastorMikH
03-29-2009, 01:55 PM
for those who are interested here's a story about next year's team at Mizzou:

They don't know what they are talking about. According to reetard kc it will be 2-3 years before we are any good again.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
They don't know what they are talking about. According to reetard kc it will be 2-3 years before we are any good again.

He could be right. There is a Cinderella in every "Dance". Where is George Mason?

|Zach|
03-29-2009, 02:26 PM
He could be right. There is a Cinderella in every "Dance". Where is George Mason?

A #3 seed Cinderella that was 3rd in the Big 12?

Ok.

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
George Mason was a #11 seed who just hot at the right moment & won 4 games in a row to make it to the Final Four.
Mizzou was a #3 seed who won 31 games in the season.
They weren't a fluke like George Mason was.

On to something more important....

Next Year's Lineup:

WITH JARRID FAMOUS:

Starters: JT Tiller, Zaire Taylor, Kim English, Jarrid Famous, Keith Ramsey or Justin Safford

Off the bench with Marcus Denmon, Miguel Paul, Laurence Bowers, Ramsey/Safford, Michael Dixon, Keith DeWitt and Steve Moore

WITHOUT JARRID FAMOUS:

Starters: Tiller, Taylor, English, Safford, Ramsey.

Bench rotation looks the same

Sure-Oz
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
What are the odds of getting Famous, is he supposed to be pretty good? Also if he is brought on would he be a junior or senior next year?

Sully
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Their only shooting threat?

ROFL

Seriously...just stop embarrassing yourself.

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
What are the odds of getting Famous, is he supposed to be pretty good? Also if he is brought on would he be a junior or senior next year?

He's arguably the top JUCO player in this class. He will be a junior next year, so he will play two years in D1.

Also, we have two scholarships available, not just one. Supposedly we've been making a strong push for Darius Smith, the guard out of the Chicago. He has a ton of offers though, it will be tough to get him.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
He's arguably the top JUCO player in this class. He will be a junior next year, so he will play two years in D1.

Also, we have two scholarships available, not just one. Supposedly we've been making a strong push for Darius Smith, the guard out of the Chicago. He has a ton of offers though, it will be tough to get him.

And that's how easily Mizzou could go from good-solid to legit threat and top team.

I'd never want to wager too heavily on a JUCO transfer, but this kid is 6'10" 240. If he hits, look out. Great risk/reward.

doomy3
03-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Their only shooting threat?

ROFL

Seriously...just stop embarrassing yourself.

You're asking a lot out of CoMoChief.

And I'm no MU fan.

Ari Chi3fs
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I for one, want Mike Anderson to stay... he is a class act, and will make the rivalry good for years to come. The better the competition, the more prepared all of us will be come tourney time. Period.

It's why Memphis won't get over the hump anytime soon... they play no good teams in conference to help prepare them for the tourney battles.

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/sports/ncaabasketball/29anderson.html?_r=3&ref=sports

Riding the Carousel: Missouri’s Anderson Is a Coach in Demand </NYT_HEADLINE><NYT_BYLINE version="1.0" type=" ">
By THAYER EVANS
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo152x23.gif (http://www.nytimes.com/)

</NYT_BYLINE><NYT_TEXT>GLENDALE, Ariz. — The question about the future of Missouri Coach Mike Anderson has become more unavoidable with each of his team’s victories in the N.C.A.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_collegiate_athletic_assn/index.html?inline=nyt-org) men’s basketball tournament.

Never mind that third-seeded Missouri (31-6) was a win away from its first Final Four appearance entering Saturday’s West Regional final against top-seeded Connecticut (30-4) at University of Phoenix Stadium. Or that the Tigers were coming off perhaps the team’s biggest victory, against second-seeded Memphis on Thursday night.

For coaches like Anderson, 49, speculation about other jobs has become the true dance of March. It is a month that signifies the start of college basketball’s coaching carousel and the annual heartburn for administrators whose coaches have become rising stars.

“We don’t approach these things lightly,” Brady Deaton, the Missouri chancellor, said of Anderson’s situation in a telephone interview.

By rejuvenating a dormant program and setting a team record for victories in a season with a frenetic full-court style billed as the fastest 40 minutes in basketball, Anderson has been mentioned as a candidate for the open position at Georgia. There are also vacancies at Arizona, Virginia and Kentucky. One opening was filled Friday when Alabama hired Anthony Grant from Virginia Commonwealth (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/v/virginia_commonwealth_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org).

Anderson, hired from the University of Alabama-Birmingham in March 2006, has two years left on a five-year contract that guarantees him an annual salary of $850,000.

“It’s a competitive environment we’re in,” Deaton said. “We recognize that and will be approaching it in the most effective way possible for us as a university.”

But even with Missouri planning to offer a contract extension to Anderson after the season, he apparently has reservations about his future.

When asked Friday if he could guarantee that he would be back at Missouri next season, Anderson was silent and turned away, as if to dismiss the question. His wife, Marcheita, laughed, then Anderson said:

“Hey, I’m excited. I’m excited about Mizzou basketball. We’re doing some great, great things. A lot of great things are happening.”

Asked at a news conference earlier Friday about how he felt about his name being mentioned for other coaching jobs during the N.C.A.A. tournament, Anderson emphasized that his team had an opportunity to make the Final Four.

“I’m excited about what we’re doing at Missouri,” Anderson said. “If you look at these kids I have up here, I’m excited about the future.”

As is Missouri, which is why Gary Forsee (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/f/gary_d_forsee/index.html?inline=nyt-per), the university president, said a contract extension with Anderson is paramount.

“He knows that Missouri is a place we want him to be for the long term, and we’ve made that very clear to him,” Forsee said in a telephone interview. “It’s great for him and his family that this kind of success puts him in a position to have that kind of security at a place that we want him to call home. That’s something we’ll all be very focused on at the right time.”

Efforts to reach Athletic Director Mike Alden through a media relations official were unsuccessful. But Marion H. Cairns, an outgoing member of the university’s Board of Curators, said she expected Anderson to be offered a multiyear contract extension after the season that would pay him a guaranteed base salary of more than $1 million annually.

“I don’t think they’ll let him get away,” Cairns said in a telephone interview.

Anderson’s elusiveness about his future is interesting because the Tigers have what most coaches covet: a dazzling 15,061-seat arena, a loyal fan base and a demonstrated financial commitment. Anderson’s predecessor, Quin Snyder, had a $1.2 million annual package.

“It really has to be considered one of the great situations,” said Joe Castiglione, who was Missouri’s athletic director from 1993 to 1998 before taking the same position at Oklahoma. “In regards to evaluating what’s been done and what can be accomplished in the future, it’s truly very, very positive. You would think it would be a real attractive opportunity for a coach to stay and build a program.”

Next season, Missouri will return nine scholarship players, including two starters. The Tigers will consist solely of Anderson’s players for the first time.

Yet even the senior guard Mike Anderson Jr., the coach’s son, said he did not know whether his father would return. For now, he said, they were focused on this season.

“He’s just in the moment,” Anderson Jr. said. “He’s just trying to take care of business. He’s never really expressed like he wants to go to a Kentucky or whatever else is open.”

He actually has more than a casual interest in his father’s coaching future. Next season, he hopes to begin his career with his father as a graduate assistant.

“He’s just going to do whatever he feels is the most comfortable for him,” Anderson Jr. said. “Maybe he wants to try a new challenge or maybe he feels like his challenge is still here at Missouri. That’s something that only he knows alone.”

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 04:28 PM
It's why Memphis won't get over the hump anytime soon... they play no good teams in conference to help prepare them for the tourney battles.
The people that you are making proposals to (according to your tweet) should read this horrendous statement.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

It sounds like this tourney run has put Mizzou on top for Famous. Memphis and Louisville still are sniffing around, though they haven't offered.

If neither one of those schools get involved, I think Missouri lands him. If they do... well, he's an East Coast kid, and it might be tough to compete with the option of playing in the Big East (or getting paid like he would at Memphis).

If Famous signs, I think he starts next year at the pivot.

Here's my projected starting five/bench in order of minutes, with Famous:

Famous/Safford/English/Tiller/Taylor
Bench: Denmon, Ramsey, Dixon, Bowers, DeWitt, Paul, Moore

Without Famous, insert Ramsey or Bowers into the starting lineup.

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
*****ALERT *****

Per Gabe DeArmond of PowerMizzou.com

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
a deal between Missouri and Mike Anderson is getting pretty close. Indications are $1.3 million plus incentives and raises for the coaching staff.
I don't have an exact timetable, but I think this is done within the week.
Anderson wants to be at Mizzou and win a national title in Columbia.

The above is fact, the following is my opinion (based on what I'm told):
I don't think the Tigers have a coach for now, I think they have one for the long term.
Anderson is a loyal guy and will not forget that Mike Alden and Mizzou were the first to step up and give him a shot in a major conference.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
*****ALERT *****

<HR color=#cccccc noShade>
a deal between Missouri and Mike Anderson is getting pretty close. Indications are $1.3 million plus incentives and raises for the coaching staff.

I don't think the Tigers have a coach for now, I think they have one for the long term.
Anderson is a loyal guy and will not forget that Mike Alden and Mizzou were the first to step up and give him a shot in a major conference.Excellent. Lets hope it holds true.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Might wanna turn the sound off. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MthSAigxLjg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MthSAigxLjg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wild1
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
but, i kept hearing that he was going to go to the SEC...

eazyb81
03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
*****ALERT *****

<hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade">

Anderson is a loyal guy and will not forget that Mike Alden and Mizzou were the first to step up and give him a shot in a major conference.

Awesome news.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
kcchiefs1 -
You're posting an awful lot of Gabe's hard work and premium info for free on this board, man...

veist
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is jumping down re-re's throat, he put a time frame on MU accomplishing something its never done before as something that he thinks "will happen" and sooner rather than later with coach Anderson. Did it not take going from the EE to two first round losses (that you love to remind us of) by the 'Hawks as part of the process of getting their ducks in a row?

KChiefs1
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
kcchiefs1 -
You're posting an awful lot of Gabe's hard work and premium info for free on this board, man...

I got his permission on this one...
I told him about the others & he told me cease & desist immediately....I have.
he wanted this known so the rumors would stop....

I guess I didn't realize some of those things were premium...he did say that I might have gotten a couple of subscriptions for the site because people are checking it out more now realizing there is a lot of basketball stuff on PowerMizzou.com than they originally thought. He is cool with it.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
I got his permission on this one...
I told him about the others & he told me cease & desist immediately....I have.
he wanted this known so the rumors would stop....

I guess I didn't realize some of those things were premium...he did say that I might have gotten a couple of subscriptions for the site because people are checking it out more now realizing there is a lot of basketball stuff on PowerMizzou.com than they originally thought. He is cool with it.

Cool beans.

I've just seen a lot of people rip off Gabe's info without even giving him credit. Guess I'm touchy about it. It's awesome that you always give him props when you do post his stuff, btw. Even people he asks to share stuff sometimes don't do that.

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 08:03 PM
*****ALERT *****

<hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade">

But he's still probably going to Arizona, no matter what this report says! Right, jAZ?

kcchiefs1 -
Fuck Gabe.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Famous might want to lose the bench portion of that video. Putting up that many reps at 185 isn't impressive at all for someone who is 240 lbs., and I don't care how long his arms are.

Pretty weak, actually. Not Durant bitchness, but not highlight video material.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Famous might want to lose the bench portion of that video. Putting up that many reps at 185 isn't impressive at all for someone who is 240 lbs., and I don't care how long his arms are.

Pretty weak, actually. Not Durant bitchness, but not highlight video material.

Kevin Durant couldn't bench 185 ONCE.

A big deal was made of Horford doing it 20 times two drafts ago. Famous puts it up, what, 15 times, in this video? That's pretty impressive, IMO. And better than a lot of power forward prospects put up at the NBA combine.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Kevin Durant couldn't bench 185 ONCE.

A big deal was made of Horford doing it 20 times two drafts ago. Famous puts it up, what, 15 times, in this video? That's pretty impressive, IMO. And better than a lot of power forward prospects put up at the NBA combine.

Durant didn't put up 135 once, let alone 185.

True enough. But being a respectably strong pansy isn't too impressive to me. He should be a monster in the weight room, long arms be damned.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Durant didn't put up 135 once, let alone 185.

True enough. But being a respectably strong wimp isn't too impressive to me. He should be a monster in the weight room, long arms be damned.I dunno, I'd say Durant was a pretty good college player, pansy or not.

Long as Famous can run, and shoot well... I'd love to have him on this Mizzou squad.

DeezNutz
03-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I dunno, I'd say Durant was a pretty good college player, pansy or not.

Long as Famous can run, and shoot well... I'd love to have him on this Mizzou squad.

Of course he was.

I'm just talking about what is or isn't highlight-video worthy. This has nothing to do about what type of player he may or may not be.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Of course he was.

I'm just talking about what is or isn't highlight-video worthy. This has nothing to do about what type of player he may or may not be.Gotcha.

I'd agree with that.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Of course he was.

I'm just talking about what is or isn't highlight-video worthy. This has nothing to do about what type of player he may or may not be.

well. it might not be highlight worthy to a normal guy who lifts weights regularly (for example, I'm 6'1/210 and can do 185 15 times as well), but for a basketball player 6-9 and up, that is an impressive performance.

Considering that 15 reps of 185 is a little above-average for guys Famous' size, it IS highlight-worthy...

Miss Understood
03-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Please stay. Please, please, please!!!

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Please stay. Please, please, please!!!

You will need to attach a large check to your request.

Miss Understood
03-29-2009, 09:55 PM
You will need to attach a large check to your request.

$1.3M/year for five years. I'll be honest in that I don't know how competitive that is. It would be a $450k/year raise, though.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
$1.3M/year for five years. I'll be honest in that I don't know how competitive that is. It would be a $450k/year raise, though.

That's the starting point. His base might be higher than that.

Sounds like his assistants all are getting raises, too - something he was concerned about.

PastorMikH
03-30-2009, 10:29 AM
When asked Friday if he could guarantee that he would be back at Missouri next season, Anderson was silent and turned away, as if to dismiss the question. His wife, Marcheita, laughed, then Anderson said:

“Hey, I’m excited. I’m excited about Mizzou basketball. We’re doing some great, great things. A lot of great things are happening.”

If you were about to get close to a 50% raise to make sure you didn't leave, would you act like nothing could pull you away?