PDA

View Full Version : KU Cole Aldrich coming back next year?

Lzen
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
http://twinsguy1.blogspot.com/

At least according to this blogger who claims to be good friends with Cole since 5th grade. Take it for what it's worth.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 05:00 PM
http://twinsguy1.blogspot.com/

At least according to this blogger who claims to be good friends with Cole since 5th grade. Take it for what it's worth.

I know where you got that.

Lzen
03-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I know where you got that.

Yes sirree!

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Hope so, but if he's going top 5....damn.

wild1
03-29-2009, 05:09 PM
you'd be an idiot to stay in school if you are going top 5

KCUnited
03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I think he'll stay. Alot've talk about his folks and their financial situation. An Eastern European family would farm the moon if they could get up there. Media tries to make a big deal about it, but I'm guessing the Aldrich family needs power like they need wet wipes. Give them a seed and something mildly sharp and I'm sure they'll be fine, something about that stubborness.

Demonpenz
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
aldrich and Hansburo are going to be high picks, best players to come out of college from a long long time

CarolinaChiefz
03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
They'll get drafted right behind Blake Griffin.

dtrain
03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Cole needs to stay in school one more year he is not ready to play in the NBA he isn't strong enough and his coordination/foot work is terrible. He struggles against athletic guys. If he would have had to play against Griffin from Oklahoma it would have really been apparent. If he goes to the NBA now he will get big money but no PT!

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Cole needs to stay in school one more year he is not ready to play in the NBA he isn't strong enough and his coordination/foot work is terrible. He struggles against athletic guys. If he would have had to play against Griffin from Oklahoma it would have really been apparent. If he goes to the NBA now he will get big money but no PT!

Julian Wright says, "So what?"

College is great development, but so is playing against guys who are NBA level EVERY DAY.

I thought Wright would wash out in about 30 seconds, but I think he's getting some PT now. Don't quote me on that, I don't watch NBA much.

Short Leash Hootie
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
THE DEAL IS DONE!

KC_Connection
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Things can always change when people start telling him how much guaranteed money he'll get. But I hope he comes back...we're a NC contender with him for sure.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Actually, he'd be smart to get top 10 money now, in my opinion.

If he comes back next year and hasn't made big strides in the footwork/offensive post ability department, his stock drops. Look at Hansbrough as an example. If he goes pro after his freshman year, he's a top 10 pick. He still was likely a lottery pick after his sophomore year. Now he'll be a last first-rounder.

It doesn't really pay to stick around in college to "develop more" if you have enough potential to be a top 10 pick.

KC_Connection
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Hope so, but if he's going top 5....damn.
That blogger is kind of talking out of his ass there. People have speculated in mock drafts that he can go in the top 10, but it's so wide open this year that nobody really knows where anybody is going after Griffin.

KC_Connection
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I would have liked to have seen that matchup. I think he's one of the few guys in the NCAA that could slow down Griffin.

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 06:35 PM
That blogger is kind of talking out of his ass there. People have speculated in mock drafts that he can go in the top 10, but it's so wide open this year that nobody really knows where anybody is going after Griffin.

I haven't followed NBA draft talk much, but I figured that was the case.

KC Jones
03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
He's at least top 20 and maybe top 10 right now. If I were him I'd take the money that's on the table now. He could have a great year and be looking at top 5 money, or he could have an off year, or he could get hurt.

ArrowheadHawk
03-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I hope he stays but if I were him I would take the money.

Braincase
03-29-2009, 07:10 PM
I think alot of it depends on how much you enjoy the college experience. He'll make a great living in the NBA, but at that point the game becomes a job. Lots and lots of travel and money, and all the problems that come with it.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Why can't guys like this buy an insurance policy against injury then borrow against it to ease immediate need and keep them in school. It probably is against NCAA rules. Everything else is. I wish the colleges had some way to prevent these NBA raids. The NBA sucks.

Buehler445
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Why can't guys like this buy an insurance policy against injury then borrow against it to ease immediate need and keep them in school. It probably is against NCAA rules. Everything else is. I wish the colleges had some way to prevent these NBA raids. The NBA sucks.

Really, that's a hell of a good idea. Have an institution lend you 10% of your proposed rookie contract, and have them take 15 or 20% when you actually get paid. That could work.

EDIT: It's really no different than a student loan. those aren't collateralized either.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Really, that's a hell of a good idea. Have an institution lend you 10% of your proposed rookie contract, and have them take 15 or 20% when you actually get paid. That could work.

EDIT: It's really no different than a student loan. those aren't collateralized either.

Yeah, I'm SURE this wouldn't get taken advantage of by EVERYONE.

So many opportunities for cheating opened up by such a policy, it isn't funny.

Guys can take out insurance against injury and should be able to do so, but borrowing against them?

You know how many players would have "Insurance Policies" from a booster-owned bank, borrowing against them? Yeah, that's a nightmare the NCAA needs...

As for preventing players from leaving early... until the NCAA starts sharing some of the BILLIONS NCAA basketball players make for it, what authority does the NCAA have to tell a player he can't go earn a living doing what he is best at?

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Come on back Cole and Sherron! We love you more than Memphis Grizzlies fans ever will!!!..... and money can't buy you love....!

PBJ

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

I can see how it would keep some of them in school.

DJ's left nut
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Actually, he'd be smart to get top 10 money now, in my opinion.

If he comes back next year and hasn't made big strides in the footwork/offensive post ability department, his stock drops. Look at Hansbrough as an example. If he goes pro after his freshman year, he's a top 10 pick. He still was likely a lottery pick after his sophomore year. Now he'll be a last first-rounder.

It doesn't really pay to stick around in college to "develop more" if you have enough potential to be a top 10 pick.

Can't say it any better.

If he sticks around for another season he'll be expected to be an 18 point, 14 rebound/game guy. If he puts up 15/12 again, his stock will absolutely drop. They'll see him as a player that has pleaued.

If I'm him, that's not a chance I'm willing to take. I'm taking my top 10 guaranteed money ASAP. A 7 footer will get ample playing time, there are only so many of them to be found.

Speaking purely from a selfish perspective (what's good for him) and assuming he doesn't just really want to come play more college ball (like Hansbrough), if he finds out he'll be a lottery pick, he'd be a fool to return.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM
"He has told me probably one thousand times that KU has the greatest fans in the world, and he means it."

I think he's talking about us Lzen, Ari, Bearcat, KC Connection, Skip, Kotter and company....

:p

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Can't say it any better.

If he sticks around for another season he'll be expected to be an 18 point, 14 rebound/game guy. If he puts up 15/12 again, his stock will absolutely drop. They'll see him as a player that has pleaued.

If I'm him, that's not a chance I'm willing to take. I'm taking my top 10 guaranteed money ASAP. A 7 footer will get ample playing time, there are only so many of them to be found.

Speaking purely from a selfish perspective (what's good for him) and assuming he doesn't just really want to come play more college ball (like Hansbrough), if he finds out he'll be a lottery pick, he'd be a fool to return.

Eh... one man's fool is another man's loyal lifetime Jayhawk... (or at least thru his jr. year)

;)

HolyHandgernade
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I think they both come back. Sherron has said his financial situation with his family is fine and Cole's parents are saying they want him to return to school and that they'll make due. Both players want a chance to go to the Final Four again and leave their marks in the school record books.

-HH

Braincase
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
"He has told me probably one thousand times that KU has the greatest fans in the world, and he means it."

I think he's talking about us Lzen, Ari, Bearcat, KC Connection, Skip, Kotter and company....

:p

7 years holding season tix and I get rated as "...and company". :cuss:

DJay23
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
The thing I don't trust is the NBA draft "projections." Shady and Mario were supposed to go in the first round last year, Arthur a lottery pick I believe. Look what happened to them. Arthur slipped to the late first and Mario into the second.

A guy like Collins is probably not going till the second round, if he goes at all. Those NBA GM's don't seem to take their draft seriously (based on what I witnessed last year), as many times as guys like Darrell Arthur, Kevin Love, and OJ Mayo got traded last year...

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
The thing I don't trust is the NBA draft "projections." Shady and Mario were supposed to go in the first round last year, Arthur a lottery pick I believe. Look what happened to them. Arthur slipped to the late first and Mario into the second.

A guy like Collins is probably not going till the second round, if he goes at all. Those NBA GM's don't seem to take their draft seriously (based on what I witnessed last year), as many times as guys like Darrell Arthur, Kevin Love, and OJ Mayo got traded last year...

Arthur slipped what, 3-4 spots out of the lottery (think he was No. 16 or 17?)? And from what I heard his performance (or lack thereof) in interviews was what kept him out of the lottery.

There's a big difference between somebody being seen as a top 5 pick and simply a likely lottery pick.

Joel Pryzbilla - whose game is a dead ringer for Aldrich's - was the No. 9 pick when he came out after a sophomore back in 2000, and that was with high school players in the player pool. Aldrich will easily be a top 10 pick if he comes out, and I think likely a top five guy. Teams will see his size and defense and say "we can teach him to be a good offensive player."

KC_Connection
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Arthur slipped what, 3-4 spots out of the lottery (think he was No. 16 or 17?)? And from what I heard his performance (or lack thereof) in interviews was what kept him out of the lottery.

It was an health issue, and he fell into the 20s.

Pants
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM

To be fair, Shady only slipped because rumors of bad kidneys emerged out of nowhere. Something about a lab messing up his bloodwork or something like that. We, really, had 2 legit late lottery - mid 1st picks and the they were Shady and Rush. Rush went the earliest IIRC.

Thig Lyfe
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I think it will be tough to turn down lottery money, but I can't imagine Cole doing anything but improving if he comes back. A Final Four or NC would really jack up his draft status.

DJay23
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
To be fair, Shady only slipped because rumors of bad kidneys emerged out of nowhere. Something about a lab messing up his bloodwork or something like that. We, really, had 2 legit late lottery - mid 1st picks and the they were Shady and Rush. Rush went the earliest IIRC.

Forgot about the kidney thing. Rush went 13th maybe?

Mario is proving now that he should have gone sooner, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I think it will be tough to turn down lottery money, but I can't imagine Cole doing anything but improving if he comes back. A Final Four or NC would really jack up his draft status.

Disclaimer: Cole Aldrich is a great defensive player and natural shot blocker/rebounder (though it wouldn't kill Big 12 refs to make him be a little more careful about getting over other bigs' backs). His size and defensive prowess alone make him worthy of a top 10 NBA pick and a great college player.

That said, he is pretty unskilled/raw with his back to the basket (surprisingly so). He doesn't have a reliable drop-step/jump hook over his left shoulder (a move righthanded posts should start working on in seventh grade and have down cold by graduation). He can't shoot turnaround or fadeaway Js over either shoulder from the block, but he has a passable spot-up jumper (the release that is too slow for the NBA, though). He can't finish with his left hand, and he doesn't have any reliable post moves to his right shoulder. He also doesn't finish as well against college competition as you'd like to see from a center - especially against teams that can match his size (stop and think about how many times you've seen him miss a bunny this season).

Those are pretty glaring holes on the offensive end. If Aldrich comes back, and those holes are still there at the end of next season, his stock will drop. And I think that's a legit concern. Honestly, he's almost two years into his stay at kansas, and I guarantee big-man coach Danny Manning has been working on those things with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Aldrich doesn't develop into a really good post scorer.

And that's the value of going pro now. Teams will look at the size and defensive skill, and say "we can teach him" the offensive stuff. His perceived potential would still be at its peak. He could come back and be part of a Final Four team with ku next year and still see his stock drop if his offensive game doesn't expand because his perceived potential would not be as high...

DJay23
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Disclaimer: Cole Aldrich is a great defensive player and natural shot blocker/rebounder (though it wouldn't kill Big 12 refs to make him be a little more careful about getting over other bigs' backs). His size and defensive prowess alone make him worthy of a top 10 NBA pick and a great college player.

That said, he is pretty unskilled/raw with his back to the basket (surprisingly so). He doesn't have a reliable drop-step/jump hook over his left shoulder (a move righthanded posts should start working on in seventh grade and have down cold by graduation). He can't shoot turnaround or fadeaway Js over either shoulder from the block, but he has a passable spot-up jumper (the release that is too slow for the NBA, though). He can't finish with his left hand, and he doesn't have any reliable post moves to his right shoulder. He also doesn't finish as well against college competition as you'd like to see from a center - especially against teams that can match his size (stop and think about how many times you've seen him miss a bunny this season).

Those are pretty glaring holes on the offensive end. If Aldrich comes back, and those holes are still there at the end of next season, his stock will drop. And I think that's a legit concern. Honestly, he's almost two years into his stay at kansas, and I guarantee big-man coach Danny Manning has been working on those things with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Aldrich doesn't develop into a really good post scorer.

And that's the value of going pro now. Teams will look at the size and defensive skill, and say "we can teach him" the offensive stuff. His perceived potential would still be at its peak. He could come back and be part of a Final Four team with ku next year and still see his stock drop if his offensive game doesn't expand because his perceived potential would not be as high...

It was frustrating to see the perimeter players work hard at feeding the post (something they were not very good at) only to have Cole stumble around, clang an awkwardly shot hook, or throw the ball away once he got it down there. He was only good if got a perfect lob feed over a fronting defender (Sherron got pretty good at this by the end of the year) or a wide open pass from Taylor or Collins as they slashed into the lane. He also needs to work on passing out of a double team. I think if he'd be more decisive with the ball and not wait for a double to arrive, he'd have had more success.

I don't watch the NBA enough to know this answer, but given his obvious glaring weakness on offense, what are the chances that he EVER sees the floor during his original NBA contract?

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Djay23-

I was half-expecting pitchforks and tarring and feathering after that post... so glad to see it was received for what it was (a basketball junkie's honest eval, not a player slam).

I really don't think Aldrich is ever going to be a reliable post scorer. There is so much foundation that HAS to be laid in high school/as the player is growing and developing, it is hard to catch up. When kids get all the way through their sophomore season without developing much of a post-up game, the odds of them eventually becoming scoring threats on the block are pretty low. Especially if they don't have exceptional quickness or agility for their size (things I think we all can agree Aldrich lacks).

But NBA teams are cocky. The NBA draft is littered with seven-footers and near seven-footers who teams were convinced they could develop into dominant all-around big men. So he has that in his favor.

As for his NBA prospects...well, Joel Pryzbilla - a very similar player, IMO - is entering the ninth year of his NBA career and has been a starter for most of them, and a significant contributor in all of them. If you're seven feet tall and can block shots and rebound, you'll find 20-25 minutes a game in the NBA, easily.

BWillie
03-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Yeah, Chalmers got screwed. Everybody was spewing false info to him. EVERYBODY was saying Chalmers was going top 20-25 and he fell to the second round. If Chalmers thought there was any shot at not being in the first round he would of came back. Think how good KU would of been this year with Chalmers in the line up. No doubt in my mind we would be playing in the championship game this year.

Pants
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Chalmers got screwed. Everybody was spewing false info to him. EVERYBODY was saying Chalmers was going top 20-25 and he fell to the second round. If Chalmers thought there was any shot at not being in the first round he would of came back. Think how good KU would of been this year with Chalmers in the line up. No doubt in my mind we would be playing in the championship game this year.

Oh well, now he's ballin in the NBA.

chiefqueen
03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
The KU fan in me wants Cole to stay. The adult in me wants him to go pro to help his parents.

BWillie
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
The KU fan in me wants Cole to stay. The adult in me wants him to go pro to help his parents.

No doubt. If Cole comes back I will be ecstatic, but it is in his personal best interests to go. Cole will be a hero in my book if he stay's around. It could be special with SC, Cole and Born Ready in the line up.

schneider221
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
It was frustrating to see the perimeter players work hard at feeding the post (something they were not very good at) only to have Cole stumble around, clang an awkwardly shot hook, or throw the ball away once he got it down there. He was only good if got a perfect lob feed over a fronting defender (Sherron got pretty good at this by the end of the year) or a wide open pass from Taylor or Collins as they slashed into the lane. He also needs to work on passing out of a double team. I think if he'd be more decisive with the ball and not wait for a double to arrive, he'd have had more success.

I don't watch the NBA enough to know this answer, but given his obvious glaring weakness on offense, what are the chances that he EVER sees the floor during his original NBA contract?

While i agree that his offensive game could use a lot of work, i noticed the complete opposite happening all year long. Minus Sherron all the perimeter players struggled to throw a good pass to Cole inside. As good as he was he could have scored a ton more points if the guards found him more often when he beat his guy down low.

CoMoChief
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Good. Sherron prob knows this as well and knows with Lance coming in and Elijah and Thomas, this team is NC bound. Griffin will be gone at OU, MU won't have anyone as most of their scorers were Sr's and will be gone, Abrams will be gone at TX, KU has a pretty solid chance of having an undefeated Big12 season next year and could be a top 3 team snagging a 1 seed in the NCAA. Like in 2008, the stars shall align again.

Silock
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't give a shit. We'll be fine with or without him. I just want him to do what he thinks is best.

Jayhawkerman2001
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
7 years holding season tix and I get rated as "...and company". :cuss:

and my name is jayhawkerman2001 with no mention... :-( i mean, its in the name

Jayhawkerman2001
03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Forgot about the kidney thing. Rush went 13th maybe?

Mario is proving now that he should have gone sooner, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

true that on the going earlier part, but i don't think that he would be as good as he is if he wasn't playing with dwayne wade. At this point in his career im not sure if mario has the skills to be the man on a team, but he's definitely a nice backup to the man

Silock
03-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Nobody on that team would be as good as they are, not even Beasley. There is plenty of room in the NBA for guys that aren't "the man" on their team.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Don't forget about our transfer Withey. Jeff will be an incredibly solid replacement, if Cole does decide to go pro, which I still think he will. If he doesn't, our rotation will just get that much better.

Jayhawkerman2001
03-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Nobody on that team would be as good as they are, not even Beasley. There is plenty of room in the NBA for guys that aren't "the man" on their team.

most definitely, im just stating that he's a much better player because of wade.

Coach
03-30-2009, 04:15 AM
aldrich and Hansburo are going to be high picks, best players to come out of college from a long long time

Honestly, Hansbrough isn't a top 5 in my view.

DJay23
03-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Don't forget about our transfer Withey. Jeff will be an incredibly solid replacement, if Cole does decide to go pro, which I still think he will. If he doesn't, our rotation will just get that much better.

I've read this is true EXCEPT, he needs a good off season in the weight room.

DJay23
03-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Awkward leaps into your opponents chest and waiting for a foul call probably don't translate well in the NBA.

He could be a decent effort guy off the bench though.

DJay23
03-30-2009, 06:26 AM
While i agree that his offensive game could use a lot of work, i noticed the complete opposite happening all year long. Minus Sherron all the perimeter players struggled to throw a good pass to Cole inside. As good as he was he could have scored a ton more points if the guards found him more often when he beat his guy down low.

To me, he just never looked confident or comfortable when he got the ball. Especially once a double team arrived. I never had a good feeling when he had the ball with his back to the basket like I did with Collison or Simien. I knew those two would pull some kind of trick out of their bag.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 06:28 AM
I've read this is true EXCEPT, he needs a good off season in the weight room.

How big is Withey? Is he a transfer or did he get released from his LOI.

schneider221
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM

He is 7 ft tall if i remember correctly. He is a transfer but redshirted(i think?) either way he will have all 4 years of eligibility at KU starting next year.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 07:33 AM
He is 7 ft tall if i remember correctly. He is a transfer but redshirted(i think?) either way he will have all 4 years of eligibility at KU starting next year.

Transfer to KU.

He committed to Pitino at Louisville, then backed out to sign with Arizona. He then refused to join the team when Lute retired. So he keeps all of his eligibility even though he's a transfer.

Yes, true 7-footer.

Big time potential, as you can see from his Pitino-Lute-Self recruitment.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1947382

hawkchief
03-30-2009, 07:39 AM

He won't be eligible until spring semester of next year. So 3 1/2 years eligibility.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1947382

Thanks. That dude needs some serious time in the weight room.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM

It is Demonpenz. I think there is a decent probability he is joking.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Good discussion in this thread. It's just too bad we have to start the offseason talk so early.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 08:59 AM

Did you see him try to dunk when he was too far away from the basket. It's his new shot, half dunk and half flop, Behold: The Flunk

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Did you see him try to dunk when he was too far away from the basket. It's his new shot, half dunk and half flop, Behold: The Flunk

With a big mean yell, because he's "all heart".
Posted via Mobile Device

dtrain
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I would have liked to have seen that matchup. I think he's one of the few guys in the NCAA that could slow down Griffin.

If Capel was smart, and i question that after watching the NC game, he would have put Griffin on the perimeter and brought Cole out and then beat him off the dribble.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
If Capel was smart, and i question that after watching the NC game, he would have put Griffin on the perimeter and brought Cole out and then beat him off the dribble.

Or shot over him like Carroll did several times.
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Capel is not that good of a coach. He lucked into Blake Griffin. Will be interesting to see how well he fares next year...

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks. That dude needs some serious time in the weight room.

He's getting it now. He's got a wide enough frame to put on some bulk.

alpha_omega
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Julian Wright says, "So what?"

College is great development, but so is playing against guys who are NBA level EVERY DAY.

I thought Wright would wash out in about 30 seconds, but I think he's getting some PT now. Don't quote me on that, I don't watch NBA much.

Yep....as a matter of fact, i saw him make a couple of nice plays on TV last night against the Spurs.

If they are telling him top 5....he should go.