PDA

View Full Version : News I just read that the Star is laying off David Boyce and Michelle Voepel

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 11:30 PM
This is horsecrap. David provided a sizable amount of Division II sports coverage for the over 80,000 MIAA alum in the KC Metro area. He covered the NBA. He covered any damn thing they wanted him to. He was always a cool guy to talk to at MIAA basketball games. And Michelle Voepel is one of the most important and respected women's basketball writers that there is.

It pisses me off that good reporters have to take the fall for bad management/failure to respect internet viability from years ago.

Joe Posnaksi wrote a tribute to the three recent Star Sports Daily layoffs on his blog: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/03/17/good-friends/

CHENZ A!
03-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Wow, that really sucks. Mr. Boyce is a nice man, and he covered so many things really well.

wazu
03-29-2009, 11:38 PM
It's inevitable. They'll trim the things that sell virtually no papers first. Whitlock and Posnanski will hold on for a long time (at least until Whitlock has a coronary), but I don't think anybody else is safe.

DaneMcCloud
03-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Why those peeps over Teicher? I don't get it.

Hopefully they'll catch in some other city soon.

Reaper16
03-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Why those peeps over Teicher? I don't get it.

Hopefully they'll catch in some other city soon.
Voepel will for sure; she's a writer for ESPN: http://search.espn.go.com/mechelle-voepel/

doomy3
03-29-2009, 11:50 PM
David Boyce is a really nice guy. I wish him luck finding something quickly.

googlegoogle
03-30-2009, 02:43 AM
their advertising section is getting crushed by craigslist and other websites.

that brings them major money.

Coach
03-30-2009, 05:14 AM
One way or another, I would reckon it won't be long before KC Star will shut down, as most newspaper industries are struggling right now.....

Pioli Zombie
03-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Didn't David Boyce kill Sean Young in "No Way Out"?
Posted via Mobile Device

kc rush
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
their advertising section is getting crushed by craigslist and other websites.

that brings them major money.

Classifieds yes, display and inserts no. Inserts are a huge money maker for them. Sadly, while the Star is profitable, McLatchey (their parent) is not so cuts are happening everywhere.

jidar
03-30-2009, 07:45 AM
http://piercework.typepad.com/mrs_pierce/images/2008/01/15/speng.jpg

Print is dead.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
This is horsecrap. David provided a sizable amount of Division II sports coverage for the over 80,000 MIAA alum in the KC Metro area. He covered the NBA. He covered any damn thing they wanted him to. He was always a cool guy to talk to at MIAA basketball games. And Michelle Voepel is one of the most important and respected women's basketball writers that there is.

It pisses me off that good reporters have to take the fall for bad management/failure to respect internet viability from years ago.

Joe Posnaksi wrote a tribute to the three recent Star Sports Daily layoffs on his blog: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/03/17/good-friends/
I'm not sure who's clinging to the past more.

The print media generally, or you for being upset that the print media is laying off good people who could move their career to a blog, etc.

You seem to be showing no respect for the viability of the internet as vehicle for a career in reporting. They can use their experience and following to start a blog ala Greg Hall or Bob Gretz, etc.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
How does anyone get fired before Flanagan? That guy is beyond awful.

leviw
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
How does anyone get fired before Flanagan? That guy is beyond awful.

No one did. He got laid off months ago.

Der Flöprer
03-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Newspapers will be dead in 5 years. They won't even exist and will be a relic you can tell your grandchildren about.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
No one did. He got laid off months ago.

Ah, well I guess I'm out of the loop now that I'm not in KC anymore.

BigRedChief
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
No reason to be upset here. We can get much more information about whatever subject we choose off the internet than we can get in a newspaper. We can sell our stuff a lot easier on Craiglist and Ebay than in a newspaper classified ad. Those facts ain't changing. Newspapers are either going to find a way to survive online or fade away into the history books.

Reaper16
03-30-2009, 10:33 AM

The print media generally, or you for being upset that the print media is laying off good people who could move their career to a blog, etc.

You seem to be showing no respect for the viability of the internet as vehicle for a career in reporting. They can use their experience and following to start a blog ala Greg Hall or Bob Gretz, etc.
Shit yeah, I'm clinging to the past. I read The Star every day, front to back. I enjoy having a paper object in my hands, I enjoy the tactile nature of turning and folding pages, I enjoy being able to bring the newspaper with me where ever I go (without dealing with laptop batteries or having to buy a new phone with decent browsing capabilities).

Where else, in one place, am I going to get all of the various sports reportage that the Star's Sports Daily section has? If I have to start bookmarking a blog for every possible reporter that I may want to read, I'm going to get pissed off.

Fuck electronic book readers, btw, too. I know that they're going to explode in popularity over this next year, and God damn them for it.

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Newspapers are dead, they just don't know it yet.

kc rush
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM

The problem is, how many bloggers are granted media access or press passes. Newspapers need to change their revenue model to meet the needs of todays consumers, but a centralized news source (in print or on an electronic page) is still necessary since it is unlikely that businesses, sports teams, emergency responders are going to grant access to any blog out there.

Sam Hall
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I only worked with Boyce once, but he seemed like a nice guy. It's sad that talent doesn't matter anymore. All the newspapers are going online. People will always have a need to read the news.