PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports If Calipari goes to Kentucky....

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_Tomahawk
03-30-2009, 05:49 AM
...what happens to the incoming freshman? Can/Do they back out of their signings if the coach leaves?

schneider221
03-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Henry is the only recruit that has signed a LOI to play at Memphis. Cousins and Wall(who most believe is just waiting for Evans to declare) could go elsewhere no issue. Xavier would need Memphis to let him out of his LOI.

I am also going to assume they all follow Calipari to Kentucky which would make them an instant title contender with what they already have.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 06:03 AM
No school is going to release a kid from a signed LOI without 2 binding conditions.

1) Don't follow the coach
2) Don't stay in conference

So Xavier won't be following Calipari. I assume the 2 unsigned recruits will be following him.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
No school is going to release a kid from a signed LOI without 2 binding conditions.

So Xavier won't be following Calipari. I assume the 2 unsigned recruits will be following him.

Why don't they want them to follow the coach?

schneider221
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM

A school cannot restrict what schools a player goes to if the player is only asking to get out of a LOI. A school can only use restrictions like this if the player has already played which is used to restrict players from transferring to another team in the same conference and examples like this. So Memphis can either not release him or let him go where ever he wants.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Why don't they want them to follow the coach?
Leverage.

An LOI is a signed contract with the school, not the coach. The school rightly views it that way. They want to give their new coach (and thus the whole program) the best chance to recover from the loss of a good coach.

And denying a signed commit the ability to follow the coach that he committed to on to his next job, gives the school a better shot at keeping he recruit in the program.

schneider221
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Thinking about this situation just brings up the same thoughts every year and that is why a top recruit would sign a LOI when they are not forced to. All it does is take the power out of the players hands and they set themselves up for major disappointment if a coach leaves or gets fired.

Braincase
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
CJ is already at Memphis, right?

JRS2
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM

You are mistaken. Oklahoma released all of their signed recruits a couple of years ago.

Scottie Reynolds went to Villanova. But, more importantly, Damion James stayed in conference and went to Texas. Not all schools restrict where kids end up.

schneider221
03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
CJ is already at Memphis, right?

Ya and he is already part of the program so if they wanted to Memphis could allow CJ to transfer but not let him follow Calipari. It would not be the same as restricting Xavier but if playing with his brother was really the biggest factor then it could have the same results.

Also most programs are going to let the recruits out of their LOI because if not it can be used against them in future recruiting. All it takes is one star player to be stuck at a school they do not want to be at and a rival coaches showing future recruits how they will not let the player leave if they want to.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 07:57 AM
You are mistaken. Oklahoma released all of their signed recruits a couple of years ago.

Scottie Reynolds went to Villanova. But, more importantly, Damion James stayed in conference and went to Texas. Not all schools restrict where kids end up.
You are right, there are exceptions, but they are only exceptions.
Situations vary.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Ya and he is already part of the program so if they wanted to Memphis could allow CJ to transfer but not let him follow Calipari. It would not be the same as restricting Xavier but if playing with his brother was really the biggest factor then it could have the same results.

Also most programs are going to let the recruits out of their LOI because if not it can be used against them in future recruiting. All it takes is one star player to be stuck at a school they do not want to be at and a rival coaches showing future recruits how they will not let the player leave if they want to.
They will stall and delay hoping to change the kids mind, but in the end, you are right. They will release with conditions.

Pants
03-30-2009, 08:04 AM
We were Henry's #2 choice. Can we get rid of Thomas and get him instead? Please?

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
If Cal goes to KY, Anderson goes to Memphis and Cousins sticks with his commit.

I then kill myself.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
X would end up at Kansas. CJ would say, "god fucking damnit!"

The deal is apparently there for him to accept or decline. This will either be an awesome story or a severe blow.

Pants
03-30-2009, 08:48 AM
X would end up at Kansas.

The deal is apparently there for him to accept or decline. This will either be an awesome story or a severe blow.

Ehh, we don't have enough scholarships. I hope Cal stays at Memphis. Having said that, I wouldn't mind 1 bit if he came back to coach KU in case Bill ever decides to leave.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 08:50 AM

This is what I thought.

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
If Cal goes to Memphis, I expect to see Xavier Henry playing for Kentucky and John Wall playing for Baylor. Not sure where Cousins would end up in that case.

If the Cal to Kentucky deal happens before Anderson's extension is completed and signed, Memphis becomes a threat to Missouri. Not sure if Anderson would want to step back down to CUSA, but Memphis can match the facilities, money and fan support Missouri offers (unlike Bama/Georgia). And it is in the middle of his prime recruiting territory.

Not sure if Anderson would be enough of an elite-level recruiter to satisfy the Memphis AD (a lot of those kids don't play hard enough to play in Anderson's system. He'll take a B-level prospect who always works his butt off over a lazy A-level kid any day), but I would be much more concerned than I've been previously...

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Ehh, we don't have enough scholarships.X over Crazy Lance is a no-brainer.

If Cal goes to Memphis, I expect to see Xavier Henry playing for Kentucky and John Wall playing for Baylor.what the hell is this post

schneider221
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
X over Crazy Lance is a no-brainer.

what the hell is this post

"crazy lance" is going to announce tomorrow in a press conference so unless this all plays out in less then 24 hours Lance most likely will be at KU leaving no room for X.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 09:06 AM
unless this all plays out in less then 24 hoursIt might.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 09:10 AM

I was told he's taking it back to Memphis. To me that's a good sign for you.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
It might.

Looks like it very well could.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/

Source: Calipari meets with players, hints at departure
By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009
Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
calipini is gonzo

Reaper16
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.
If by that he means "formerly great, but now mostly irrelevant" then Cal is correct.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
It's a pretty hilariously apt comparison.

Pants
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
If by that he means "formerly great, but now mostly irrelevant" then Cal is correct.

Ehh, tradition is tradition.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/
Source: Calipari meets with players, hints at departure
By Dan Wolken (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009
Updated 09:53 a.m., March 30, 2009

University of Memphis coach John Calipari met with his players this morning to discuss his involvement with the University of Kentucky opening, according to a source close to the situation.

While Calipari did not say explicitly what he planned to do, players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. According to the source, Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball.

Wowzers.

I wonder if Cousins and Wall will follow him to Lexington.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM

It's a pretty hilariously apt comparison.

Yep, but don't forget... "... and a program that if I resurect it again, I Am Legend."

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
X over Crazy Lance is a no-brainer.

what the hell is this post

I think they'll bail if Calipari leaves, that's all.

What's Memphis going to do, deny them release from their schoalrships? That's suicide on the recruiting front, and every school knows it.

Wall's AAU coach is at Baylor now, which is why I think he'll end up there if Cal leaves Memphis. Henry gushed about Cal's system and learning from Cal, which is why I think he'd follow Cal to Kentucky (and Memphis can try to make a restriction to prevent him from following Cal, but again, that's suicide on the recruiting front).

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
If Cal goes to Memphis, I expect to see Xavier Henry playing for Kentucky and John Wall playing for Baylor. Not sure where Cousins would end up in that case.

If the Cal to Kentucky deal happens before Anderson's extension is completed and signed, Memphis becomes a threat to Missouri. Not sure if Anderson would want to step back down to CUSA, but Memphis can match the facilities, money and fan support Missouri offers (unlike Bama/Georgia). And it is in the middle of his prime recruiting territory.

Not sure if Anderson would be enough of an elite-level recruiter to satisfy the Memphis AD (a lot of those kids don't play hard enough to play in Anderson's system. He'll take a B-level prospect who always works his butt off over a lazy A-level kid any day), but I would be much more concerned than I've been previously...

This will happen. Because we're Mizzou and God hates us.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
If this happens it will be really interesting to see what Cousins does.

His final choices were Memphis, Mizzou, NC State, and K State.

Would he follow Cal to UK, would he go to his 2nd choice out of those 4 schools, or would he open up his recruitment to new schools?

With him, Wall, and X Henry, there could be a lot of elite talent available in the open market. KSU could have a sick class with Cousins and Judge.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Cousins to KSU (please)

Zeke
03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Only problem with that, is Martin's name is floating on some coaching radars as well. Or was Cousins a Dalonte Hill recruit?

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Only problem with that, is Martin's name is floating on some coaching radars as well. Or was Cousins a Dalonte Hill recruit?

Are you sure? Cause I was told by some very informed (retarded) basketball fans right here at Chiefs (Retard) planet that Martin was a disaster, lacked ethics, couldn't recruit and nobody (except KSU) would ever hire him.

WE COULDA HAD MARK FOX!!!

So what you just posted is impossible.

I'm not sure who the recruiter was on Cousins. I don't follow that stuff all that closely. But him and Wally would be a nice touch.

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Are you sure? Cause I was told by some very informed (retarded) basketball fans right here at Chiefs (Retard) planet that Martin was a disaster, lacked ethics, couldn't recruit and nobody (except KSU) would ever hire him.

I'm not sure who the recruiter was on Cousins. I don't follow that stuff all that closely. But him and Wally would be a nice touch.

Mark Fox? We could have had Mark Fox?

:deevee:

Edit - Lead Recruiter was Wally Judge..........with Matt Figger as the Assistant

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
If Cal leaves and Lance chooses KU:

Cousins to Kentucky
Wall to Duke
Henry rides out the year with his brother

If Cal leaves and Lance opts for something other than KU:

Cousins to Kentucky
Wall to Duke
Henry to KU

If Cal stays and Lance chooses KU

Cousins to Memphis
Wall to Duke

If Cal stays and Lance opts for something other than KU

Cousins to Memphis
Wall to Duke
KU has one less scholarship problem

JMO, HH

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Johnson Grants Permission For Kentucky Contact

March 30, 2009

University of Memphis Athletic Director R.C. Johnson said today that he has been contacted by Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhardt and that he has granted Kentucky permission to confer with Tiger head basketball coach John Calipari as to the Wildcats head coaching position.

"We have given Kentucky permission to talk with John (Calipari) about their position," Johnson stated. "However, I will tell you that we are elated with the job John has done as our head coach and we will do everything in our power to retain his services at Memphis."

Johnson indicated that he will have no further statement on the matter until there is something more to report. ffffffffffffffffffffff

Friendo
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
ffffffffffffffffffffff

Colonel Sanders bringin a big ol bucket o chicken ;)

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Losing Calipari would be the end for Memphis.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Losing Calipari would be the end for Memphis.Depends on what you mean. We would pay an Anderson or someone of that caliber their $2 million and putter along with our occasional Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, but we won't be a top 5 year in and year out or anything.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Depends on what you mean. We would pay an Anderson or someone of that caliber their $2 million and putter along with our occasional Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, but we won't be a top 5 year in and year out or anything.

Watch for Tim Floyd of USC.

Kyle DeLexus
03-30-2009, 11:37 AM
If Cal leaves and Lance chooses KU:

Cousins to Kentucky
Wall to Duke
Henry rides out the year with his brother

If Cal leaves and Lance opts for something other than KU:

Cousins to Kentucky
Wall to Duke
Henry to KU

If Cal stays and Lance chooses KU

Cousins to Memphis
Wall to Duke

If Cal stays and Lance opts for something other than KU

Cousins to Memphis
Wall to Duke
KU has one less scholarship problem

JMO, HH

Wall to Duke? Really, no matter what? I don't know about that one.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Watch for Tim Floyd of USC.I was going to say "Anderson or Floyd or," because Floyd was pretty much guy #1 on the list if Cal had taken the Pitt or St. John's or NC State job years ago.

Zeke
03-30-2009, 11:42 AM

I never said I was a fan of Martin, however he is definitely a Florida guy with virtually all his ties being there. He's also made the tournament last year, and should have made it this year. Seeing him take a downtrodden program (in recent times) to the NCAA tournament and the brink of the tournament might be appealing to a program like FSU. That is if Leonard Hamilton is relieved of his duties.

KC_Connection
I have to admit...I'm having feelings of schadenfreude, and I don't even dislike Memphis. It's going to be exciting to see where all these guys go.

KC_Connection

dude is too angry

Zeke
03-30-2009, 11:46 AM
dude is too angry

Sincerely,

Winningest-coach-in-NCAA-Basketball-History-BMK

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Watch for Tim Floyd of USC.

Why leave USC for Memphis? It's a sideways move, if that...

Pants
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Why leave USC for Memphis? It's a sideways move, if that...

:spock:

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
dude is too angry

It's strategic.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
:spock:

It is. Floyd gets recruits at USC...USC is in a better conference...Memphis gets players because they have the best recruiter in the country...

Memphis isn't some premier job.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I beleive even if released from their LOI, they would have to sit out a year if they go elsewhere.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
I never said I was a fan of Martin, however he is definitely a Florida guy with virtually all his ties being there. He's also made the tournament last year, and should have made it this year. Seeing him take a downtrodden program (in recent times) to the NCAA tournament and the brink of the tournament might be appealing to a program like FSU. That is if Leonard Hamilton is relieved of his duties.

I wasn't saying that stuff to you. When Huggs bolted the tardflock was saying "You have to release the players from their LOI's and that a SLTH (Solid Long Term Hire) was the correct approach. Names such as Mark Fox and (gag) Barry Hinson were bandied about. Looking back that was hilarious.

I'm aware and leery of what's happening in So.Fla. I don't want to lose the guy.

Pants
03-30-2009, 11:53 AM
It is. Floyd gets recruits at USC...USC is in a better conference...Memphis gets players because they have the best recruiter in the country...

Players will go to Memphis for their stat lines seeing as how they can dominate much weaker opponents in conference play. I always thought that's how Calipari got the best 1 and dones.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 11:55 AM
It's strategic.
but still...does he have to look so angry

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM

It's stragegic.

Zeke
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I wasn't saying that stuff to you. When Huggs bolted the tardflock was saying "You have to release the players from their LOI's and that a SLTH (Solid Long Term Hire) was the correct approach. Names such as Mark Fox and (gag) Barry Hinson were bandied about. Looking back that was hilarious.

I'm aware and leery of what's happening in So.Fla. I don't want to lose the guy.

I'm part of the tardflock, so I just assumed that much. :D

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Done deal.

George Lapides just reported Cal is gone on Memphis radio.

Wow.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Done deal.

Memphis AD just reported Cal is gone on Memphis radio.

Wow.

:(

Mr. Krab
Done deal.

Memphis AD just reported Cal is gone on Memphis radio.

Wow.

Calipari is such a mercenary. ROFL

Short Leash Hootie
Done deal.

George Lapides just reported Cal is gone on Memphis radio.

Wow.

Kentucky will be a powerhouse once again.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
when I was at the Sprint Center...all those damn Memphis fans were wearing those creepy Calipari masks...glad that era is over. Those fans were ANNOYING.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow. Just like that. man, I'd go after Floyd if his interest is there.

Zeke
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM

I don't think he's really that angry an individual. With my kids, I use the facial expressions to try and get my point across more emphatically. However, over time it's gotten to where they shrug their shoulders at me. What do I do? I get more animated. Then that wears off on them... then I raise my voice more.

I think Frankie just skipped all of it and went to the end accompaniment. Afterall, he is a proud papa of three.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Wow. Just like that. man, I'd go after Floyd if his interest is there.

Wouldn't make any sense for Floyd to be interested...Floyd is also a great recruiter, and USC is a great recruiting tool.

For the sake of the board, I hope they lure in Anderson...just to see the Mizzou fans suffer.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow, this turns the NCAA basketball world upside down for sure...

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
For the sake of the board, I hope they lure in Anderson...just to see the Mizzou fans suffer.
more schadenfreude

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
There are a ton of circumstances that would be understandable and at least marginally palatable. Going back to his roots at Kansas or Pitt? Cool. Leaving after winning it all? Okay. This is not one of those circumstances.

Bolting for a shithead school in the ultimate shithead conference, right as you've been teasing everyone with the promise of one of the most potentially amazing teams of all time or, at the very least, a probable favorite for a national title? After the school has offered to up your contract to $5 million a year? Bullshit.

Sports are nothing but an excuse to get emotionally invested in something and then get punched in the face right before the thing you've been waiting for happens, but this is the fucking pinnacle.

Zeke
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Wouldn't make any sense for Floyd to be interested...Floyd is also a great recruiter, and USC is a great recruiting tool.

Yes, but USC is staring down the barrel of NCAA violations, currently. Floyd is a southern guy being from I believe Mississippi or Louisiana. And a good foundation has been laid at Memphis for another coach to succeed. They have the facilities, a player mansion, extra scholarships each year, tons of money, decent support, and a conference that will allow a good coach to rack up a huge amount of wins. Memphis also has World Wide Wes, to which Floyd has ties.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, but USC is staring down the barrel of NCAA violations, currently. Floyd is a southern guy being from I believe Mississippi or Louisiana. And a good foundation has been laid at Memphis for another coach to succeed. They have the facilities, a player mansion, extra scholarships each year, tons of money, decent support, and a conference that will allow a good coach to rack up a huge amount of wins. Memphis also has World Wide Wes, to which Floyd has ties.

Good points, I didn't think of all that.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
There are a ton of circumstances that would be understandable and at least marginally palatable. Going back to his roots at Kansas or Pitt? Cool. Leaving after winning it all? Okay. This is not one of those circumstances.

Bolting for a shithead school in the ultimate shithead conference, right as you've been teasing everyone with the promise of one of the most potentially amazing teams of all time or, at the very least, a probable favorite for a national title? After the school has offered to up your contract to $5 million a year? Bullshit.

Sports are nothing but an excuse to get emotionally invested in something and then get punched in the face right before the thing you've been waiting for happens, but this is the ****ing pinnacle.

5 mil? Motherfuck.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 12:16 PM

Sports are nothing but an excuse to get emotionally invested in something and then get punched in the face right before the thing you've been waiting for happens, but this is the ****ing pinnacle.

Yeah but you probably didn't give two shits about Memphis before Calipari so...

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah but you probably didn't give two shits about Memphis before Calipari so...Holy shit, you're retarded.

Friendo
03-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Holy shit, you're retarded.

didn't Cal bring in DeAngelo Williams? :)

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
didn't Cal bring in DeAngelo Williams? :)This is what I'll be doing if this is all the ultimate misdirection:

http://j.photos.cx/DeAngeloArabMoney-181.gif

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM

I know how you're feeling, I've thought this many times.

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Sports are nothing but an excuse to get emotionally invested in something and then get punched in the face right before the thing you've been waiting for happens, but this is the fucking pinnacle.again ...Calipari is such a mercenary. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 12:32 PM
No shit.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Floyd is option #3 in LA (behind Carroll & Howland). And Memphis pays big money. It's not insider information, though. Just speculation from Pac-10 folks.

jAZ
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM

I thought WWW was Cal, not Memphis. But good points anyway.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Even as a Leafs/Jays/Chiefs fan....I can't imagine how this particular situation would feel.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Even as a Leafs/Jays/Chiefs fan....I can't imagine how this particular situation would feel.

Roy: "The next time I leave Kansas, I'll be retired or dead."

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/03/26/1206585858_6683/300h.jpg

Sorry, the flip flop within a matter of a couple of years was bullshit, home or not.

Kansas fans are lucky to have traded up, though.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Weren't a KU fan when Roy left, were you?

EDIT: aww jeez, outposted...

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Roy: "The next time I leave Kansas, I'll be retired or dead."

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/03/26/1206585858_6683/300h.jpg

Sorry, the flip flop within a matter of a couple of years was bullshit, home or not.

Kansas fans are lucky to have traded up, though.

Roy leaving didn't hurt our program the way Calipari leaving will absolutely kill the Memphis program.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Weren't a KU fan when Roy left, were you?

EDIT: aww jeez, outposted...
yes, and while the situations are similar, they are also very different.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Roy leaving didn't hurt our program the way Calipari leaving will absolutely kill the Memphis program.

Wasn't much of a "program" to begin with, then. A "program" is far bigger than one man.

Pants
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Hindsight, champ. If it wasn't for Self, we might have ended up cycling through a new coach every 2 years looking for an answer.

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2009, 12:53 PM

No it won't, Memphis will be fine.

Just Passin' By
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Calipari is such a mercenary. ROFL

Hey, it's not like he pulled a one-and-done in Memphis.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Wasn't much of a "program" to begin with, then. A "program" is far bigger than one man.
Memphis would have been in contention for a NC next year, and probably the favorite (at least if Aldrich decided not to return). Everything that Calipari had done was building toward next year and his massive recruiting class. Then he screws the Memphis fanbase for Kentucky, a program that hasn't been relevant in a while.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
we're talking about Memphis here...not Kansas when Roy left.

They will probably make the tournament every year of course, though...in that conference.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
C-USA is licking their chops now. The Memphis program is going to be vulnerable next season...I can see someone like Tulsa or UAB making a strong push next season before Memphis can get a new coach established.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I wonder if Memphis and UK will have their own version of wife swap with Cal going to UK and Gillispie going to Memphis. That would be interesting.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I wonder if Memphis and UK will have their own version of wife swap with Cal going to UK and Gillispie going to Memphis. That would be interesting.

Ha there is something to be proud of....go from the Big XII to the SEC and then down to the C-USA ha.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Memphis would have been in contention for a NC next year, and probably the favorite (at least if Aldrich decided not to return). Everything that Calipari had done was building toward next year and his massive recruiting class. Then he screws the Memphis fanbase for Kentucky, a program that hasn't been relevant in a while.

That's what I'm saying.

It's terrible for the fans, no question. But it's a case of easy come, easy go. Sucks shit, but it's true.

KSU fans probably thought the same with the Huggins situation.

Maybe something positive will come of this, too...

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Memphis would have been in contention for a NC next year, and probably the favorite (at least if Aldrich decided not to return). Everything that Calipari had done was building toward next year and his massive recruiting class. Then he screws the Memphis fanbase for Kentucky, a program that hasn't been relevant in a while.Leaving Memphis for an SEC school is like leaving Kansas for Mizzou. It's the ultimate dick move.

Micjones
03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
My team's desperately in need of a facelift.
I think I'd prefer Donovan to Calipari, but I can live with JC.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Leaving Memphis for an SEC school is like leaving Kansas for Mizzou. It's the ultimate dick move.

Memphis is bitter rivals with the entire SEC? Hmmm.

ChiefsCountry
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
we're talking about Memphis here...not Kansas when Roy left.

They will probably make the tournament every year of course, though...in that conference.

Your an idiot. Go do some history on Memphis basketball, they will be fine.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Leaving Memphis for an SEC school is like leaving Kansas for Mizzou. It's the ultimate dick move.
That is true.

But I can kind of understand why he did it. It's a program with great tradition, and he wants to be known as the guy that brought Kentucky back to success.

Actually kind of reminds me of something in hockey last year...GM Brian Burke leaving Anaheim last season to go to Toronto Maple Leafs (for big money and for the prestige of turning around a team with tradition).

Of course...nobody in Anaheim actually cares about hockey and he left their team pretty barren.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Your an idiot.
takes one to know one!

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I would fully expect all Memphis fans to hate Calipari and Kentucky now.

Jerm
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
I just find it highly annoying when these coaches come out and deny any interest or whatever just to turn around and take the job or leave.

If you're interested, just be honest...not that hard.

From Roy to Saban to Cal, etc...the list goes on and on.

It's a sham.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I would fully expect all Memphis fans to hate Calipari and Kentucky now.

I think they already hate Kentucky. As far as Calipari goes, I think he's probably achieved that status already.

KevB
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Try being a KSU (alum) and Memphis (hometown) fan. First Huggins, with Beasley and Walker waiting, now Cal with a legit GROAT waiting. I'm trying to remember why I invest any emotion in sports at this point.

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM
takes one to know one!

ROFL

Come on, that's a well-known ChiefsPlanet phrase...........

actually, it's supposed to read: Your and idiot ;)

KevB
03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

The thing is, it wasn't just next year. He had guys lining up for the next couple of classes beyond that ...... kids in the top 20 already declaring Memphis as the leader. He had finally gotten the program to the point that it was in line to be elite regardless of conference for a significant period of time.

CoMoChief
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Hindsight, champ. If it wasn't for Self, we might have ended up cycling through a new coach every 2 years looking for an answer.

I dont think Kansas is stupid enough to fire a coach after only 2 years (esp in KU's case, those 2 years would have all been with Roy's players).

I tell you what though, that Bucknell loss really made me go off the deep end on Self though. I almost wanted his ass fired after that. That was a Final 4 team.

BWillie
03-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Man, kind of wish born ready would of delayed his announcement for a couple weeks....X and Stephenson are both great players but it doesn't seem X has the potential character issues.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Man, kind of wish born ready would of delayed his announcement for a couple weeks....X and Stephenson are both great players but it doesn't seem X has the potential character issues.

Look what happened to Collins and BRush under Self, I'm not worried.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I dont think Kansas is stupid enough to fire a coach after only 2 years (esp in KU's case, those 2 years would have all been with Roy's players).

I tell you what though, that Bucknell loss really made me go off the deep end on Self though. I almost wanted his ass fired after that. That was a Final 4 team.

Self was losing to one mid major after another. Bucknell, Bradley, ORU. It tested our patience.

BWillie
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Look what happened to Collins and BRush under Self, I'm not worried.

Yeah well they never got kicked off of the USA team that Travis Releford played on instead of Lance.

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I just find it highly annoying when these coaches come out and deny any interest or whatever just to turn around and take the job or leave.

If you're interested, just be honest...not that hard.

From Roy to Saban to Cal, etc...the list goes on and on.

It's a sham.

That's just us fans wanting things to be easy. What if you decide not to take the job? How does announcing you are interested in other jobs affect your relations with recruits and potential recruits. There are actually lots of reason for the cloak and dagger drama, nobody is ever fully honest right away. In fact, I doubt most of us, if we were thinking about going to a different company would be "fully honest" about our intentions from the beginning with co-workers and employers. You would make sure you have the next job first.

-HH

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
ROFL

Come on, that's a well-known ChiefsPlanet phrase...........

actually, it's supposed to read: Your and idiot ;)

He didn't write "and," so I assumed it was just a mistake.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Talent wins out over character any day, especially when Self is the coach. Think about Sherron's issues in previous seasons, and then what he did this season.

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Sources: Kentucky, Calipari nearing monster deal

<!-- // Writer Attribution// --> <!-- Meta Tag For Search --> <!-- meta name="author" content="Jeff Goodman"--> <!-- meta name="source" content="FOXSports.com"--> <!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--> <!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--> <!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--> <!-- meta name="blurb" content=""--> <!-- meta name="modDate" content="March 30, 2009 19:37:52 GMT"--> http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8833251_6_2.jpg (http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Jeff-Goodman?authorId=288)by Jeff Goodman (http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Jeff-Goodman?authorId=288)

Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com. He can be reached at GoodmanonFOX@aol.com or check out his blog, Good 'N Plenty (http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox).

<!-- // Story Tools // --> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/css/story/story_tools.css"> <!-- printtracker start --> <link href="http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/js/printtracker/fdprint.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="print"> <script type="text/javascript" name="cleanprintloader" src="http://foxsports.cleanprint.net/js/2275/pd.js?ps=38"></script> <!-- printtracker end --> <script type="text/javascript">addthis_pub = 'foxSports';</script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js"></script> <script> function BlogThisStoryTools() { var headline = "Sources: Kentucky, Calipari nearing monster deal"; var url = document.location.href; var destination = "http://blogs.foxsports.com/BlogThis.aspx?r_title=" + escape(headline) + "&r_url=" + url; window.location.href = destination; } </script> add this (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php) RSS (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/2005035) blog (javascript:BlogThisStoryTools();void(0)) email (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398650/Sources:-Kentucky,-Calipari-nearing-monster-deal#) print (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398650/Sources:-Kentucky,-Calipari-nearing-monster-deal#)
Updated: March 30, 2009, 2:37 PM EST
2 comments (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398650/Sources:-Kentucky,-Calipari-nearing-monster-deal#tb)

<script type="text/javascript"> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').innerHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </script> <!-- // Story Content // --> <script> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[i][0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </script> Talks between Kentucky and Memphis coach John Calipari have intensified and the two sides are moving closer to an agreement that could make him the highest-paid coach in the country.
<style> .moreTeamsDiv { position:relative; float:right; padding-right:10px; } .moreTeamsHdr { background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position:top; height:35px; color:#000000; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; font-weight:bold; } .moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited { color:#1266a4; text-decoration:none; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; padding-right:4px; padding-bottom:4px; } .moreTeamsLinks a:hover { text-decoration:underline; } .moreTeamLinks { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration:none; } .storyPoll { margin-left:15px; padding-bottom: 5px; float:right; } </style> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">var pollWidth=250;</script> <script language="JavaScript1.2" src="http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/js/lib/javascriptFlash/FSJavaScriptFlashGateway.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> var userStatus='vote'; // if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") { for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) { if (pollsVoted[i] == 9397602) { var userStatus = 'results'; break; } } } // has to have retry because hitbox code is defered. function hitBoxVote(m,p) { } var pollHeight = 0; if (pollHeight == 0) { pollHeight = Math.max(140 + (2 * 40) ); } var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=418694&pollId=9397602&cUrl=&pgCode=null&categoryId=null&userStatus='+userStatus; var tag = new FSFlashTag("/id/8796869", 300, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height tag.setId('flashPoll'); tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery); tag.setWmode('transparent'); tag.setWmodeFF('transparent'); tag.write(document); </script><embed src="http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8796869" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" flashvars="choices=2&questionId=418694&pollId=9397602&cUrl=&pgCode=null&categoryId=null&userStatus=vote" name="flashPoll" id="flashPoll" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" height="220" width="300">
According to sources close to the Tigers coach, Calipari is close to a deal that will pay him in excess of $5 million per season.
Kentucky has asked for, and been given permission to speak with Calipari. Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson said in a statement Monday that Calipari could meet with Kentucky representatives, but stressed Memphis will do whatever it can to retain the coach.
Calipari is 252-69 in nine seasons at Memphis and led the Tigers to the national title game a year ago, where they lost to Kansas in overtime. Memphis lost to Missouri on Thursday night in the Sweet 16.
Calipari has expressed significant interest in the Kentucky job over the last few years, sources told FOXSports.com, and was disappointed that he wasn't contacted two years ago prior to the hiring of Billy Gillispie, who was fired last week after a two-year record of 40-27. Another motivating factor in his decision, according to a source, is being down the road from Louisville coach Rick Pitino. The two have not gotten along in recent years and Calipari would likely relish the opportunity to go head-to-head against Pitino both on the court and in recruiting.
<center>Wild about the Wildcats</center>

<table><tbody><tr><td> <!-- ========== PHOTO ======== --> http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8652904_51_1.jpg <!-- ========== END PHOTO ======== --> <!-- ========== MAIN LINK ======== --> Scout.com: (http://kentucky.scout.com/) Will John Calipari end up at UK? Will he restore the winning traditions at Rupp Arena? Get all the latest Lexington chatter from Scout.com (http://kentucky.scout.com/). <!-- ========== END MAIN LINK ======== --> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart made an attempt to lure Florida coach Billy Donovan last week, but the Gators coach turned the Wildcats down for the second time in two years.
Barnhart, through a third-party representative, received word that Villanova's Jay Wright, Texas' Rick Barnes and Michigan State's Tom Izzo were not interested in the job.
So Barnhart turned his attention to Calipari, who has done a terrific job in rebuilding the Memphis program and taking the Tigers to four consecutive Sweet 16 berths.
Calipari is also an ideal pick for one of the most storied programs in history because of his willingness to mix with fans, boosters and also endear himself to the administration — something that Gillispie was unable to do in his brief tenure in Lexington.
<!-- ========== LINKS ========= --> Must-read:

Lusetich: Tiger win fit for a king (http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/9395952/The-bigger-the-stage,-the-better-Woods-is)
Goodman: Final Four preview (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9396336/Final-Four-preview:-Breaking-down-the-teams)

Must-see:

Kentucky AD talks Gillispie (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9382610/%27New-direction%27)
Glazer/Marvez: Giants, Browns talk (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9380474/VIDEO:-Marvez-and-Glazer-on-Browns%27-Edwards,-Giants)

Top headlines:

Sources: Calipari-UK talks heat up (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9396964/Sources:-Calipari-to-UK-talks-heat-up;-no-offer-yet)
Griffin only unanimous All-American (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9397002/Griffin-only-unanimous-All-American-selection)
Vegas puts UNC as 10-11 favorites (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9397890/Vegas-makes-UNC-prohibitive-Final-Four-favorite)
Texans RB accepts cop's apology (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9383356/NFL-player-accepts-officer%27s-apology)

All of today's top stories >> (http://msn.foxsports.com/)
Worth a thousand words:

March Madness Elite Eight action (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/pgStory?contentId=9391964)
A-Rod smooching ... himself? (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/pgStory?contentId=9346810)
Shots from the 2009 Iditarod (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/pgStory?contentId=9305332)

View more photos >> (http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?workingCategoryId=0)

According to the [I]Memphis Commercial Appeal, Calipari met with his players Monday morning to discuss his involvement with the Kentucky opening. At least some of the players left the meeting convinced that Calipari would take the job. Calipari told the team that Kentucky was the Notre Dame of basketball, the paper reported, citing an unnamed source.
However, senior Antonio Anderson, who was not at the meeting, said he spoke with Calipari this morning and several of his former teammates.
"Most of them think he's staying," Anderson said. "But he's going to see what Kentucky is talking about. I don't think he'll end up going because of what he's built at Memphis. It would be too tough for him to leave all of that."
Calipari has lured an impressive recruiting class that includes shooting guard Xavier Henry and big man DeMarcus Cousins. However, there's a chance that Cousins, who hasn't signed with the school, could follow Calipari to Kentucky. The Tigers were also the leader for the nation's top point guard, John Wall, who could also begin to consider Kentucky if Calipari leaves.
Landing Calipari won't be cheap. He has four years left on his contract paying him $2.35 million annually. He also has an annuity averaging $1 million over the deal through 2013. Throw in whatever settlement Kentucky negotiates with Gillispie, the Wildcats could have nearly $10 million invested in the head coach of its basketball program next year.
That fact has had little effect on one of college basketball's most ardent fan bases, which seemed to be electrified by the possibility of getting Calipari. A Facebook group called "Bring John Calipari to UK" had swelled to more than 9,000 members as of Monday afternoon while a popular Kentucky message board had over 15,000 people on it during the lunch hour.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398650/Sources:-Kentucky,-Calipari-nearing-monster-deal

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
The new continuous local TV news scroll: CBS Sportsline reports that University of Missouri basketball head coach Mike Anderson would be willing listen if contacted by the University of Memphis.

I'm so, so sorry.

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
The new continuous local TV news scroll, after going out and buying a loaf of bread (seriously): CBS Sportsline reports that University of Missouri basketball head coach Mike Anderson would be willing listen if contacted by the University of Memphis.

I'm so, so sorry.Too bad for Mizzou.

Brock
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
The new continuous local TV news scroll: CBS Sportsline reports that University of Missouri basketball head coach Mike Anderson would be willing listen if contacted by the University of Memphis.

I'm so, so sorry.

THAT FREAKING INGRATE!!!!

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Anderson's system with the athletic talent coming to Memphis (assuming commits hold)?

Yikes.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think MA is going anywhere.

baitism
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm so, so sorry.

The recruits and players don't fit in with Anderson's style. Plus, I think Memphis would want someone with more national recruiting pull.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
810 reporting that Memphis has received permission to speak with Anderson.

Alluding to report on Memphis' Rivals site.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 01:56 PM
The Memphis rivals site says Memphis has asked and been granted permission to interview Mike Anderson.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Seems pretty obvious that Memphis would try to go after MA, given his familiarity with the region and C-USA.

I'm not going to go all UP on everyone saying how laughable it is for anyone to even think that Anderson would leave, but I think he'll probably end up staying after he leverages these schools into a much bigger contract from Mizzou. I'd say he has one hell of an agent.

Still, if Memphis is desperate enough to offer Anderson what they were paying Calipari, then he probably would leave. That is a chunk of change.

Pants
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow, this is some crazy ass shit. Things are moving so fast.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
MA is now laughing at the reported 1.3 Mizzou has offered.

Reaper16
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
This is the fucking apocalypse. What a complete shitstorm. As if I needed any more reason to hate everything about the state of Kentucky.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Calipari to UK, Anderson to Memphis, Travis Ford to Mizzou, Gillispie to OSU, Barnes to Arizona, Self to Texas, Frank Martin to KU, Wally Judge to coach KSU.

Brock
It would be a shame to see Anderson go.

baitism
MA is now laughing at the reported 1.3 Mizzou has offered.

If the morons had offered him more like 2 mil he would have already been signed by now.

DJ's left nut
I don't think MA is going anywhere.

You haven't followed the University of Missouri.

Anderson's gone. Tiller will probably leave and a meteor will land on Mizzou Arena killing Kim English and Truman the Tiger.

Quin Snyder will then rape my wife.

Fuck I hate being a Tigers fan.

Ultra Peanut
Yeah, that number's going to get a lot bigger no matter what happens.

And I'm honestly already moving from incredulity and anger to bitterness and amusement. This whole situation literally shifted over the past 24 hours, and now it's like everything's doubling in speed.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
If the morons had offered him more like 2 mil he would have already been signed by now.

I've taken shits smarter than Mike Alden.

Pants
You haven't followed the University of Missouri.

Anderson's gone. Tiller will probably leave and a meteor will land on Mizzou Arena killing Kim English and Truman the Tiger.

Quin Snyder will then rape my wife.

**** I hate being a Tigers fan.

I'm cool with all that except the part where Quin has his way with your wife. That's uncalled for.

Buehler445
Wow. I didn't think Cal would leave Memphis unless he was unable to draw recruits there. I was totally wrong-o.
Posted via Mobile Device

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah, that number's going to get a lot bigger no matter what happens.

And I'm honestly already moving from incredulity and anger to bitterness and amusement. This whole situation literally shifted over the past 24 hours, and now it's like everything's doubling in speed.

I'm sure the KU fans will welcome you back with open arms.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
*Xavier - Gone.
*Dennis - Gone.
Taggart - Gone.
Spoon - Gone.
Sallie - Gone.

Pastner - Gone.
Antigua - Gone.
Robic - Gone.
Strickland - Gone.

HE DROPPED A FUCKING BOMB ONTO THE HOUSE HE'S SPENT A DECADE BUILDING.

If the morons had offered him more like 2 mil he would have already been signed by now.Contracts don't mean shit. Cocktease Cal has re-negotiated every single year, and his current deal is through 2015 or something.

I'm sure the KU fans will welcome you back with open arms.I'm from Memphis, retard.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Welcome to the club.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Calipari to UK, Anderson to Memphis, Travis Ford to Mizzou, Gillispie to OSU, Barnes to Arizona, Self to Texas, Frank Martin to KU, Wally Judge to coach KSU.

Absolutely, positively the best post of the day. LMAO

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
So is the move official now?

Zeke
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
A little tidbit I didn't know.

Anderson's wife is from Memphis.

Not looking good.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Been there, done that. My sincere condolences.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Now there are reports that Cal is going to suggest UTEP coach Tony Barbee (a former assistant) to the donors. After scorching every possible patch of green earth that could be scorched. Jesus Christ, what a prick.

So is the move official now?Nothing is official, officially, but the writing on the wall has been penciled, inked, and colored in pretty thoroughly.

I feel so fucking horrible for Kemp, Niles, and Mack. And Taggart, for that matter; I can't blame him for going pro now that he's going to apparently have four other teammates next year. He was in tears Thursday, and looking ahead to a chance to finish out with a bang as part of one of the most dynamic teams ever.

WilliamTheIrish
Anderson's gone. (just thought I'd get out in front of the story. I have no real info.)

WilliamTheIrish
Been there, done that. My sincere condolences.

What a day that was...

kstater
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Self heading to Missouri. KU gets Wooldridge.

Pants
What a day that was...
Are you referring to Thuggins leaving?

mikeyis4dcats.
It's Patterson!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/11/gary_patterson.jpg

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM

ROFL

Brilliant!

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Mike Alden, when asked about the $1.3 million figure, said he didn't know where that was coming from. It has been floated as a likely starting point, with the potential to creep up to a base of $1.5 to $1.6 million.

No one really knows what Missouri has offered or what Georgia has offered or what Memphis has offered.

Obviously, the crazy money the retards in Lexington are throwing around could change all of that.

Great opportunity for Bill Laurie to ride back into town and play the hero here... he seems to like doing that.

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Also, DeArmond just talked to someone in the AD. There has been no request from Memphis to talk to Anderson.

Erroneous!!! (insert pic of nick athan here)

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
The McDonald's All-American experience is more than dunk and jumpers. The nation's top high school basketball players have their share of off-court fun in the days leading up to the county's most celebrated high school all-star game. Memphis commit DeMarcus Cousins (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=50451) and incoming Kansas State freshman Wally Judge (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=66239) spent their Monday afternoon touring an aquarium in downtown Miami, but took some time to address some pressing issues.

"It's not true," Cousins said when asked about the recent rumor linking Memphis head coach John Calipari (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=1224) to the vacant coaching position at the University of Kentucky, and apparently that emphatic statement comes straight from the head coach's mouth.

"I called Coach (Calipari) right after I first heard the rumor, and he told me it wasn't true," Cousins said on Monday. "It's not true at all."

Cousins wouldn't discuss any impact Calipari's departure would have on his verbal commitment to Memphis, as he indicated that there was no point in discussing what he called a "false rumor."

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Mike Alden, when asked about the $1.3 million figure, said he didn't know where that was coming from. It has been floated as a likely starting point, with the potential to creep up to a base of $1.5 to $1.6 million.

No one really knows what Missouri has offered or what Georgia has offered or what Memphis has offered.

Obviously, the crazy money the retards in Lexington are throwing around could change all of that.

Great opportunity for Bill Laurie to ride back into town and play the hero here... he seems to like doing that.

For who? Laurie and his wife graduated from Memphis.

(pukes)

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Great opportunity for Bill Laurie to ride back into town and play the hero here... he seems to like doing that.And get one over on the administration that offended him so greatly 15 years ago. From a part of the national runners-up team in 1973 to keeping us from hiring our top priority; sounds about right.

For who? Laurie and his wife graduated from Memphis.

(pukes)And then RC Johnson ended up in a fiasco that led to Larry Finch being fired at a hot dog stand. His Memphis ties are motivation to help keep Anderson at Mizzou, if anything.

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
i don't see why anderson would go to memphis...Missouri is in a power conference and has a decent football team...plus he's close to chicago and st. louis for recruiting...and unless he has world wide wes he'll never recruit to memphis the way cal did...

but if he does, missouri should go hard after Miller from Xavier....even though Xavier is a stronger program right now he might be looking to move up in conference..

Saulbadguy
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10096463&nav=menu203_4

WMC broke into regular programming with a report from their sports director, Jarvis Greer, who said he has learned from a reliable source that Calipari will be the next coach at UK and that two Memphis players, Wesley Witherspoon and Roburt Sallie, will transfer to Kentucky.

KC_Connection
Wow, this is some crazy ass shit. Things are moving so fast.
this

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I thought it was against NCAA rules for coaches to "take players" with them?

Pants
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
i don't see why anderson would go to memphis...Missouri is in a power conference and has a decent football team...plus he's close to chicago and st. louis for recruiting...and unless he has world wide wes he'll never recruit to memphis the way cal did...

but if he does, missouri should go hard after Miller from Xavier....even though Xavier is a stronger program right now he might be looking to move up in conference..

It's called money. People like it. But like I said, I don't think MU is going to let this happen.

Mr. Plow
If I'm correct, Memphis can put restrictions on a current players schools that they can transfer to. I could be wrong though.

duncan_idaho
And get one over on the administration that offended him so greatly 15 years ago. From a part of the national runners-up team in 1973 to keeping us from hiring our top priority; sounds about right.

And then RC Johnson ended up in a fiasco that led to Larry Finch being fired at a hot dog stand. His Memphis ties are motivation to help keep Anderson at Mizzou, if anything.

eazy81 -^^^^^

See this. Laurie's relationship with the Mizzou AD was bad for a while, but I have heard rumors (legit, from someone who works in the related department at Mizzou) that the relationship has been mended.

His relationship with Memphis remains quite bad, apparently.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10096463&nav=menu203_4If RC releases them without a "no C-USA or SEC schools" clause, I will be incensed. Well, even more incensed.

Also, Cal's Audi was also parked out front. I wanted nothing more than to see Jarvo (a Memphis icon in his own right) lead an angry mob in turning that bitch over and setting it on fire it live on the air.

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
It's called money. People like it. But like I said, I don't think MU is going to let this happen.

well, memphis would be crazy to throw big money at a guy who hasn't proven he can recruit top players....but i get it....

the Talking Can
If RC releases them without a "no C-USA or SEC schools" clause, I will be incensed. Well, even more incensed.

Also, Cal's Audi was also parked out front. I wanted nothing more than to see Jarvo (a Memphis icon in his own right) lead an angry mob in turning that bitch over and setting it on fire it live on the air.

my understanding is that you can't put conditions on a release from a loi...

duncan_idaho
If I'm correct, Memphis can put restrictions on a current players schools that they can transfer to. I could be wrong though.

they can. Dodgy territory, though, with HS recruits. It can be a big recruiting tool against you ...

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
For ultra-reliable breaking news, his daughter (who attends Memphis) says on her facebook that "NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE YET." Of course, to quote another Tigers fan, "Story telling runs in the family."

The end of this semester is going to be awk-ward! for her. :(

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
they can. Dodgy territory, though, with HS recruits. It can be a big recruiting tool against you ...

I don't think you restrict with signed recruits that have not played for your team. I think only players that have actually played for the university.

Short Leash Hootie
Calipari is being offered a top job in his profession...he put Memphis back on the map...big time. Only the fans are going to be bitter...I doubt the AD and school officials will be anything but classy and grateful.

ChiTown
The McDonald's All-American experience is more than dunk and jumpers. The nation's top high school basketball players have their share of off-court fun in the days leading up to the county's most celebrated high school all-star game. Memphis commit DeMarcus Cousins (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=50451) and incoming Kansas State freshman Wally Judge (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=66239) spent their Monday afternoon touring an aquarium in downtown Miami, but took some time to address some pressing issues.

"It's not true," Cousins said when asked about the recent rumor linking Memphis head coach John Calipari (http://kansasstate.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=1224) to the vacant coaching position at the University of Kentucky, and apparently that emphatic statement comes straight from the head coach's mouth.

"I called Coach (Calipari) right after I first heard the rumor, and he told me it wasn't true," Cousins said on Monday. "It's not true at all."

Cousins wouldn't discuss any impact Calipari's departure would have on his verbal commitment to Memphis, as he indicated that there was no point in discussing what he called a "false rumor."

Mikey

where is that quote from. You got a link? tks

Ultra Peanut
my understanding is that you can't put conditions on a release from a loi...Spoon (a stud freshman) and Sallie (you may remember Him from His time as my god) are current players.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Calipari is being offered a top job in his profession...he put Memphis back on the map...big time.He made well in excess of $20 million dollars and was treated like a fucking king every single day in Memphis. Then he BLEW MEMPHIS OFF OF THE MAP with his exit, exacerbating an already difficult split. He's not only bolting for a school in the conference Memphis fans are surrounded by, he's taking all of his coaches and all of his recruits and all of his underclassmen. It's beyond the point of absurdity.

Fuck him in the face, and I hope he never smiles again for as long as he lives.

mikeyis4dcats.
Mikey

where is that quote from. You got a link? tks

came via email from a buddy....I suspect it is "It's Patterson-esque premium content"

the Talking Can
Spoon (a stud freshman) and Sallie (you may remember Him from His time as my god) are current players.

ah, thought you were talking about xavier et al...

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
came via email from a buddy....I suspect it is "It's Patterson-esque premium content"

:LOL:

duncan_idaho
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't think you restrict with signed recruits that have not played for your team. I think only players that have actually played for the university.

Doesn't matter with Wall or Cousins, anyway. Neither has signed an officially binding LOI.

Henry is the only guy in question...

Pants
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
He made well in excess of $20 million dollars and was treated like a ****ing king every single day in Memphis. Then he BLEW MEMPHIS OFF OF THE MAP with his exit, exacerbating an already difficult split.

**** him in the face, and I hope he never smiles again for as long as he lives.

I know it seems like things are royally fucked right now, but you guys will bounce back.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Are you referring to Thuggins leaving?

Yes.

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Calipari Gone, Accepts University of Kentucky Job For $40 Million Deal According To UK Student Newspaper

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Calipari-Gone-Accepts-University-of-Kentucky-Job/jYafFy1xWkWXHqHZTKi6Ig.cspx

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
He made well in excess of $20 million dollars and was treated like a ****ing king every single day in Memphis. Then he BLEW MEMPHIS OFF OF THE MAP with his exit, exacerbating an already difficult split.

i feel you

he dangled one of the great recruiting classes in history and now is splitting leaving you with, probably, nothing...including WWW...

there's no upside for memphis in this

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I know it seems like things are royally fucked right now, but you guys will bounce back.Yeah, in a fuckin' decade.

Anderson could hop onboard, keep Sallie and Spoon and Dennis and X, and have us consistently in the top 25 for the next several years. It's not the same, and Cal didn't even have the courtesy to fucking admit it. "I'm here as long as the commitment is here." How's $5 mil a year for commitment, shithead?

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
PowerMizzou reporting that Memphis has not asked for permission to speak with Anderson as of twenty minutes ago.

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=930022

the Talking Can
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
it also sucks that fanbase as worthless, insane, and pitiful as UK's get to benefit from this...they ran out the last two coaches

i hope some WWW stuff blows up while he's at UK

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Calipari Gone, Accepts University of Kentucky Job For $40 Million Deal According To UK Student Newspaper

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Calipari-Gone-Accepts-University-of-Kentucky-Job/jYafFy1xWkWXHqHZTKi6Ig.cspx

$40 fucking mil. Fuck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, Cal definitely douched this one up.

KevB
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Doesn't matter with Wall or Cousins, anyway. Neither has signed an officially binding LOI.

Henry is the only guy in question...

No, go ahead and throw in Nolan Dennis (#40), and two four star JUCO guys as well. The class was so good he literally blew off Lat Williams, who is ranked somewhere in the teens. The next couple of years will look like Indiana this year, or worse.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Forgot about Latavious. I can't beleive the recruits that mofo was getting. Incredible. And to give it all to Kentucky... I mean, I don't even hate 'em ... and I hate 'em.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
He's actually telling the boosters and the administration that he WON'T napalm the program if we hire Barbee, but otherwise, we're on our own. Jesus fucking Christ.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM

solid jounalism. They might as well be quoting Chiefsplanet. They quote the UK student newspaper, which cites Rivals.com.

"It's Patterson!"

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
He's actually telling the boosters and the administration that he WON'T napalm the program if we hire Barbee, but otherwise, we're on our own. Jesus ****ing Christ.

It's amazing that he really has that much power over recruits. That's odd.

Pants
03-30-2009, 03:02 PM
He's actually telling the boosters and the administration that he WON'T napalm the program if we hire Barbee, but otherwise, we're on our own. Jesus ****ing Christ.

Does he care about his players at all? He sounds full blown evil... JFC is correct.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
One thing to consider -- just how many scholarships can KY possibly have? He can't possibly take all these guys with him, they won't have that many slots available.

Good for KU and KSU fans, I suppose. Cousins and Wall would seem to be back in play, though I'd imagine those are the two guys he tries the hardest to hold onto.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Nothing he can do about it, he's already napalmed the program.

They can hire anyone they want, it'll be up to that poor soul to stop the bleeding here. I don't imagine Cal will play much of a role in it.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
One thing to consider -- just how many scholarships can KY possibly have? He can't possibly take all these guys with him, they won't have that many slots available.

Good for KU and KSU fans, I suppose. Cousins and Wall would seem to be back in play, though I'd imagine those are the two guys he tries the hardest to hold onto.

According to Cousins, Calipari himself told him he was going nowhere, so it will be interesting to see if being lied to affects Cousins' decision.

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
For ultra-reliable breaking news, his daughter (who attends Memphis) says on her facebook that "NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE YET." Of course, to quote another Tigers fan, "Story telling runs in the family."

The end of this semester is going to be awk-ward! for her. :(

Could you get a good hate fuck goin' there?

Was that over the line? I can never tell with this place.

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Could you get a good hate **** goin' there?

Was that over the line? I can never tell with this place.

I imagine with UP ... setup .... a good hate f might be ... not possible.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Henry, too, I guess?

I doubt Memphis would make him stay if he didn't want to be there.

KevB
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Memphis board says that WMCTV in Memphis reporting that Kentucky's offer has been matched. Probably doesn't matter at this point, but interesting nonetheless. May just be posturing by U of M, who knows.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
According to Cousins, Calipari himself told him he was going nowhere, so it will be interesting to see if being lied to affects Cousins' decision.
Yeah...it looks like that was a straight up lie. I don't even understand why Calipari wouldn't tell the truth at the point.

baitism
03-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Mike Anderson is smart enough (I hope) to realize that he will be starting from scratch again in a lesser conference if he goes to Memphis post-Calipari. I guess that is his decision, but thinking that Memphis will be anything but a shadow of its former self is wishful thinking.

Buehler445
Maybe he wasn't expecting $40 motherfucking million to be on the table. JFC that is a metric fuckton of money.

I bet the football coach is PISSED.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
Memphis board says that WMCTV in Memphis reporting that Kentucky's offer has been matched. Probably doesn't matter at this point, but interesting nonetheless. May just be posturing by U of M, who knows.

Wow, that's awesome.

WoodDraw
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Another report has him meeting with key Memphis boosters tonight, but who knows for what...

WilliamTheIrish
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe he wasn't expecting $40 mother****ing million to be on the table. JFC that is a metric ****ton of money.

Posted via Mobile Device\

The football coach in Kentucky doesn't exist. It's a combover.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 03:26 PM
\

The football coach in Kentucky doesn't exist. It's a combover.

ROFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Memphis board says that WMCTV in Memphis reporting that Kentucky's offer has been matched. Probably doesn't matter at this point, but interesting nonetheless. May just be posturing by U of M, who knows.Yep. It's apparently not even about the money.

It's about getting his dick sucked by the national media.

Another report has him meeting with key Memphis boosters tonight, but who knows for what...That was the "hire Barbee or I throw a grenade into the building as I walk out" discussion, I think.

http://j.photos.cx/getthefuckout-8fa.gif

KevB
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Another report has him meeting with key Memphis boosters tonight, but who knows for what...

That could easily be a "thanks for all you've done, I'll miss you" courtesy call. It could double as a sales pitch for Barbee, former assistant who's now at UTEP.

KevB
03-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Yep. It's apparently not even about the money.

It's about getting his dick sucked by the national media.

That was the "hire Barbee or I throw a grenade into the building as I walk out" discussion, I think.

UP, I'm really upset about this, but I have this image of you and the old cartoons that show smoke coming out of ears and faces moving to bright red. It actually provides some levity on a day with very little for me (also found out my dog may have cancer). Just another wonderful Monday.

the Talking Can
Roy tried to convince KU to hire his assitant on the way out.

KU had the appropriate response, "..uh....yeah.....no"

mikeyis4dcats.
Maybe he wasn't expecting $40 mother****ing million to be on the table. JFC that is a metric ****ton of money.

Posted via Mobile Device

because kentucky football is such a huge money maker?

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
This is the first time I've listened to sports talk radio for more than a few minutes in months.

"Verno, I apologize for saying you should get off Mike Anderson's jock last week. Slide over, is there any room?"

There are little old blue-haired ladies in SHOCK on the local news. :(

baitism
03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I am starting to think this might just be about Cal wanting more money....

Saul Good

How was that a Final 4 team? What players were on that team that would lead you to believe that?

KC_Connection
I guess Memphis fans finally get to see what everybody else in the country thought about Callipari...that he's a massive douchebag. I mean...I kind of understand going to UK due to the prestige/legacy, but does he have to gut the Tigers' program, too?

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Standard message board caveat, etc., but someone I consider to be a good poster just posted that he overheard the players and that they were all incredibly pissed off.

The Man Who Would Be God apparently later called him Coach Weasel while talking on His cell phone.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I am starting to think this might just be about Cal wanting more money....
I don't think it's that at all. He's already got millions of dollars, and Memphis was willing to offer 5M a year.

Calipari wants to be known as the guy that brought Kentucky back to the FF and true relevance. This is all about improving his reputation and legacy as a basketball coach. He doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who kept beating up teams in a weak conference (which is not true, but that's what the media painted Memphis as these last few years).

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't think it's that at all. He's already got millions of dollars, and Memphis was willing to offer 5M a year.

Calipari wants to be known as the guy that brought Kentucky back to the FF and true relevance. This is all about improving his reputation and legacy as a basketball coach. He doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who kept beating up teams in a weak conference (which is not true, but that's what the media painted Memphis as these last few years).p. much

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Standard message board caveat, etc., but someone I consider to be a good poster just posted that he overheard the players and that they were all incredibly pissed off.

Yeah...how soon we forget that these are all kids that he's screwing around with like this.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
He doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who kept beating up teams in a weak conference (which is not true, but that's what the media painted Memphis as these last few years).

No, I'd say that's pretty much true. Memphis was playing AA ball the last couple of seasons.

They still played some great ball in the tourney, but CUSA sucks bawls.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
No, I'd say that's pretty much true. Memphis was playing AA ball the last couple of seasons.

They still played some great ball in the tourney, but CUSA sucks bawls.

They played some good non-conference games, which is what I was referring to.

Zeke
03-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Calipari wants to be known as the guy that brought Kentucky back to the FF and true relevance. This is all about improving his reputation and legacy as a basketball coach. He doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who kept beating up teams in a weak conference (which is not true, but that's what the media painted Memphis as these last few years).

It actually was caused by media members with agenda's (school affiliations with larger conference schools) trying to downplay Memphis' success, at the same time validating their own. From that point the National media took it and ran, rightfully or not.

veist
03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Its that whole perception = reality thing these days and the public perception cultivated by the media was basically their conference play amounted to a two month vacation before the tournament.

eazyb81
03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Washington State coach Tony Bennett is leaving to go to Virginia.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Washington State coach Tony Bennett is leaving to go to Virginia.Man, UVA must be hella hard-up to hire an old singer whose team was insanely mediocre. I'd rather have Leitao.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/22593/door_becomes_internet_star_in_calipari_drama

KevB
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Washington State coach Tony Bennett is leaving to go to Virginia.

"AHH, MIKE ANDERSON TO WASHINGTON STATE....OH NOES!"

Get used to it Missouri fans, Memphis fans have been riding this train for several years now.

veist
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Man, UVA must be hella hard-up to hire an old singer whose team was insanely mediocre. I'd rather have Leitao.

At least you are keeping your sense of humor through this :D

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/22593/door_becomes_internet_star_in_calipari_drama Some retards will watch anything.

Ultra Peanut
Oh boy, sounds like RC Johnson fucked things up again. Way to further do your best to kill Memphis athletics, RC!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/22593/door_becomes_internet_star_in_calipari_dramaIt's all about the fermented pickles.

DJ's left nut
Its that whole perception = reality thing these days and the public perception cultivated by the media was basically their conference play amounted to a two month vacation before the tournament.

Their conference play DOES equal a two month vacation before the tournament.

Just because they have a cakewalk of a conference slate doesn't mean they don't play tough non-con games. Conversely, just because they play a tough non-conference schedule, that doesn't mean they play a conference schedule that's worth a damn.

CUSA sucks. If you're going to say that the Memphis schedule is, on aggregate, a strong schedule due to their non-con games, I'll listen to that. But if you're going to try to argue that their conference schedule is anything other more than a glorified NAIA run, well that's just absurd.

KevB
03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh boy, sounds like RC Johnson ****ed things up again. Way to further do your best to kill Memphis athletics, RC!

It's all about the fermented pickles.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at RC and take him seriously.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, because being in the #8 or #9 conference with a handful of top 50 or top 75 teams is exactly the same as playing against NAIA schools.

Reaper16
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
But if you're going to try to argue that their conference schedule is anything other more than a glorified NAIA run, well that's just absurd.
Your mental deficiencies are incalculable.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Does he care about his players at all? He sounds full blown evil... JFC is correct.

Everyone has always said Calipari always comes first for Calipari...

KevB
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I'll be curious to hear the "facts" when all of this settles. So many times, 90% of what's reported on the national and local levels are false. And of course, there will be dominos. I don't think Memphis settles for an up and comer from the Patriot League.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm going to laugh when Calipari stays.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
He made well in excess of $20 million dollars and was treated like a ****ing king every single day in Memphis. Then he BLEW MEMPHIS OFF OF THE MAP with his exit, exacerbating an already difficult split. He's not only bolting for a school in the conference Memphis fans are surrounded by, he's taking all of his coaches and all of his recruits and all of his underclassmen. It's beyond the point of absurdity.

You might want to send John Chaney after him

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/51-4sJTf7iQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/51-4sJTf7iQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I mean, UP is right...Memphis considers Calipari their God pretty much...every one of their fuggin' fans at the Sprint Center had a creepy Calipari mask they were wearing...I bet the wives of men all over Memphis beg them to wear that mask during sex.

Reaper16
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm going to laugh when Calipari stays.
Me too. A whole lot. For, like, all day. I hope it happens.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I wonder if Memphis could replace Calipari with a guy like Quin Snyder?

KevB
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
May not be over?

http://www.whas11.com/justposted/stories/whas11-topstory-090330-calipari-uk-coach-update.885edef8.html

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I wonder if Memphis could replace Calipari with a guy like Quin Snyder?

I doubt the Toro's will let him go without a fight.ROFL

jAZ
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Ultra Peanut, don't read this

Just learned that ALL of Cals 2009 commits will be going with him to Kentucky, if they wish. Even the ones with LOIs signed had an addendum that lets them follow him wherever he goes.

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
May not be over?

http://www.whas11.com/justposted/stories/whas11-topstory-090330-calipari-uk-coach-update.885edef8.html

What are they going to do to convince him? I'm pretty sure this isn't about the money, and that's all they have to offer him. Because Memphis will never have the prestige of a Kentucky, and that's what he wants.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
DID YOU KNOW: The word "Cholesterol" can appear to be the word "Molester" when the word is written in icicle form!

Sure-Oz
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Just learned that ALL of Cals 2009 commits will be going with him to Kentucky, if they wish. Even the ones with LOIs signed had an addendum that lets them follow him wherever he goes.

Fuck Kuntecky and their DB fans.

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Just learned that ALL of Cals 2009 commits will be going with him to Kentucky, if they wish. Even the ones with LOIs signed had an addendum that lets them follow him wherever he goes.Well, duh.

Short Leash Hootie
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Memphis should just ball up and offer him a lifetime contract that pays $8M annually!