PDA

View Full Version : Football Comcast stops getting NFL Network staring May 1?

MMXcalibur
03-30-2009, 06:42 AM
I turned on NFL Network and got a banner scrolling across my screen stating that the channel won't be picked up by Comcast starting May 1. Sorry if I'm late to the party, but.......what the :cuss: ?

Why does my apartment have to face the wrong damn way so I can't get DirecTV? WHY!?!?!?!

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
I turned on NFL Network and got a banner scrolling across my screen stating that the channel won't be picked up by Comcast starting May 1. Sorry if I'm late to the party, but.......what the :cuss: ?

Why does my apartment have to face the wrong damn way so I can't get DirecTV? WHY!?!?!?!

Move. When I was installing, I actually had people move across the hall to get a south facing balcony.

wild1
03-30-2009, 07:00 AM
i just did some searching, the contract expires May 1 and it does not look like it will be renewed.

the dispute seems to be that Comcast wants to continue charging a premium for it, but the NFL wants it part of basic cable

BigRedChief
03-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Good. Maybe if Comcast gets out maybe Time Warner will be more likely to get the NFL Network.

petegz28
03-30-2009, 07:15 AM
comcast is a royal piece of shit. I am stuck with them cause I will not go to a dish-based network. Comcast charges out the ass for every damn thing there is.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 07:17 AM
comcast is a royal piece of shit. I am stuck with them cause I will not go to a dish-based network. Comcast charges out the ass for every damn thing there is.

Sounds like a technical foul to me.

petegz28
03-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a technical foul to me.

You are a technical foul, skip.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 07:22 AM
You are a technical foul, skip.

What do you have against dishes Pete?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
i just did some searching, the contract expires May 1 and it does not look like it will be renewed.

the dispute seems to be that Comcast wants to continue charging a premium for it, but the NFL wants it part of basic cable

Let's clarify what this means. The NFL network wants to be a paid a higher rate than ESPN does. Comcast says ESPN has 30 years of an established viewer base and a track record to go with it. NFLN does not. Combined with the fact that the NFL just extended their contract with DirecTV on the Ticket, why would Comcast want to bend over some more for them? Sorry, the NFL is the bad guy in this scenario.

EyePod
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Let's clarify what this means. The NFL network wants to be a paid a higher rate than ESPN does. Comcast says ESPN has 30 years of an established viewer base and a track record to go with it. NFLN does not. Combined with the fact that the NFL just extended their contract with DirecTV on the Ticket, why would Comcast want to bend over some more for them? Sorry, the NFL is the bad guy in this scenario.

Good point, but Comcast still sucks balls and not having NFLN is going to be just another problem to throw on the heap (even if it isn't their fault).

dirk digler
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM

Yep. In this case the NFL could learn a thing or two from MLB. Cable and satellite have both embraced the MLB baseball channel because a part of both industries own the channel.

I am really starting to hate the NFL with their exclusive deals they have been renewing because all it does is force fans to one certain product which is BS.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Good point, but Comcast still sucks balls and not having NFLN is going to be just another problem to throw on the heap (even if it isn't their fault).

I think Comcast is pretty mediocre. They are better than Time Warner IMO, but all of them live by the standard of "The customer isn't always right. The customer is just always there."

This whole deal though is the NFL. Purely. And they're counting on people getting in a tizzy and calling the cable network pissed off. If this contract expires, and I'm confident it will, it will force the NFL to reconsider their pricing on the network and a new deal will be in place probably nationwide by the time the Thanksgiving games start.

Once the NFL decided to continue giving exclusive rights for the Ticket to DTV, I jumped off their bandwagon. I have NFLN on my phone, I'm not going to lose shit. I hope the cable companies win this one. It may get the ticket put on cable in about 5 years. Of course, who gives a shit? With internet streaming getting better and better, all you need is an HDMI cable and you can watch your favorite team on your flat panel for the great low price of, free.

Bugeater
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
I think Comcast is pretty mediocre. They are better than Time Warner IMO, but all of them live by the standard of "The customer isn't always right. The customer is just always there."

This whole deal though is the NFL. Purely. And they're counting on people getting in a tizzy and calling the cable network pissed off. If this contract expires, and I'm confident it will, it will force the NFL to reconsider their pricing on the network and a new deal will be in place probably nationwide by the time the Thanksgiving games start.

Once the NFL decided to continue giving exclusive rights for the Ticket to DTV, I jumped off their bandwagon. I have NFLN on my phone, I'm not going to lose shit. I hope the cable companies win this one. It may get the ticket put on cable in about 5 years. Of course, who gives a shit? With internet streaming getting better and better, all you need is an HDMI cable and you can watch your favorite team on your flat panel for the great low price of, free.
Exactly, if the NFL isn't careful, they'll find themselves in the same situation as the music industry. They better not think for a second that the consumer isn't going to be able to outsmart them.

dirk digler
03-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Exactly, if the NFL isn't careful, they'll find themselves in the same situation as the music industry. They better not think for a second that the consumer isn't going to be able to outsmart them.

Yep. I am getting sick of their shit.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 07:57 AM

I haven't had to go to the bar to watch a game more than 2 times in 2 years. There were streaming issues on those days, but it's few and far between.

You're absolutely right too. I would happily pay the $300 for the Ticket if it were an option. Instead, I pay nothing because I'm not interested in the only provider that offers the product. Most companies want the exposure, but DTV pays such a large number the NFL has no motivation to do it any differently.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Verizon FiOS rules.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 08:00 AM
I am stuck with them cause I will not go to a dish-based network.You're loss, then. Directv/Dish is FAR superior to cable in just about every way.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Verizon FiOS rules.How is that? Its not available in my area.

petegz28
03-30-2009, 08:07 AM
You're loss, then. Directv/Dish is FAR superior to cable in just about every way.

Not from what I have seen. Unless picture quality and reliable service don't count.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Not from what I have seen. Unless picture quality and reliable service don't count.Picture quality? Directv and Dish's picture quality is way better than Time warner. HD on TW is Horrible. Directv HD has the best quality I've seen.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
With Directv, I'll ALWAYS have NFL Network.

RINGLEADER
03-30-2009, 08:22 AM
If Comcast doesn't want to pay then they don't have to. If NFLN wants to be paid more then they have every right to ask for it.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 08:25 AM
If Comcast doesn't want to pay then they don't have to. If NFLN wants to be paid more then they have every right to ask for it.This is true. Consumers are always getting screwed.

dirk digler
03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
If Comcast doesn't want to pay then they don't have to. If NFLN wants to be paid more then they have every right to ask for it.

Then the consumers get screwed and the NFL shouldn't be bitching when no cable companies want the service.

If they really cared they wouldn't have signed another exclusive deal with DirectTV for Sunday Ticket.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
You're loss, then. Directv/Dish is FAR superior to cable in just about every way.

Really? Does the picture still go out everytime the wind blows and/or it rains?

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Really? Does the picture still go out everytime the wind blows and/or it rains?No. Severe storms with lightening, usually. But, its back on when the storm passes.

MMXcalibur
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
If there was a service like NHL Center Ice on NFL.com, where you can watch streaming broadcasts of live games for a nominal fee, I'd be all over that like flies on shit. Instead, I'm forced to watch shoddy free streaming broadcasts or go to a nearby bar to get my Chiefs fix every Sunday. That's fine by me, NFL. Keep being dicks with your exclusive contracts. Asses.

CoMoChief
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
NFL network sucks anyway. Most of the talk football shows on there are nothing more than what we see on Sportscenter and isn't really anything that we all don't already know. I kind of think NFL network is a waste of time and money. Only time it's good is when they re-play Chiefs games and they hardly even do that.

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Good. Maybe if Comcast gets out maybe Time Warner will be more likely to get the NFL Network.
I wouldn't think so. In losing Comcast i think the NFL network would lose leverage in the market not gain it.

Frazod
03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Comcast is probably the worst company I've ever had to deal with. Their product sucks and their customer service is horrible. My condolences to anybody who has no choice but do use their services.

And Pete, if you can get a dish, GET A DISH. Seriously. It has to storm like hell before you lose the signal, and even then it passes quickly. Only happens a handful of times in a year.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
NFL network sucks anyway. Most of the talk football shows on there are nothing more than what we see on Sportscenter and isn't really anything that we all don't already know. I kind of think NFL network is a waste of time and money. Only time it's good is when they re-play Chiefs games and they hardly even do that.

It's funny you say that. I was watching Total Access last week and they had on some executive with the league office that is now a weekly skit of some kind. This guy was a 3rd rate David Letterman trying to be funny and failing miserably. I couldn't help but think to myself, WTF?

BigRedChief
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't think so. In losing Comcast i think the NFL network would lose leverage in the market not gain it.
Uhhh thats my point. They will lose leverage and be forced to make a deal with Time Warner.

Quesadilla Joe
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
With Directv, I'll ALWAYS have NFL Network.

Not when it rains ROFL

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Not when it rains ROFLI never get rainfade. I usually only lose service during severe weather.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
And Pete, if you can get a dish, GET A DISH. Seriously. It has to storm like hell before you lose the signal, and even then it passes quickly. Only happens a handful of times in a year.This.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Ditch the Comcast and ditch the NFLN(It sucks except for a few keys times per year)

1ChiefsDan
03-30-2009, 11:56 AM
No. Severe storms with lightening, usually. But, its back on when the storm passes.MIne used to because they originally mounted the dish in a crappy place. I had them mount it to the side of the house - no trouble since then and we have had 60-70 mph winds, just had 2' of snow last week. Haven't lost signal or even fuzzy pictures. I also have Comcast because the kids like the OnDemand feature, and Comcast has been out several times in the last 2 months.

Looking at dropping Comcast and going solely with DTV. The kids can do without OnDemand.