PDA

View Full Version : Life Layoffs. They are a coming...

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 07:23 AM
25% reduction in headcount.

I hope I survive.

EDIT: For the people that didn't read the whole thread.

I did survive this time. Thanks for all the well wishes!

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Good luck, man.

stevieray
03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Damn.

BigRedChief
03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Good luck. Don't you kind of do what I do in I.T.?

If you get whacked let me know I'm still getting a bunch of recruiter emails about jobs I could forward them to you. Give you a heads up on whats open around town.

JazzzLovr
03-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Went through that several times back at Sprint and Gateway. It seriously sucks. Even if you survive, it's sad to see some co-workers go. That's rough. Good luck Bob.

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Good luck. Don't you kind of do what I do in I.T.?

If you get whacked let me know I'm still getting a bunch of recruiter emails about jobs I could forward them to you. Give you a heads up on whats open around town.
Desktop development/tier 3 support

BCD
03-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Good luck. I've been off 4 weeks now.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Shit dude. Good luck. We had a Reduction in Force back in October. I survived it, but I had to audit the damn thing.

Either way it is tough to deal with. They tell us that another one isn't "in the plan right now". :cuss:

Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Good luck, Dartgod.

Hog Farmer
03-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Don't wait to sign up for unemployment, it takes a while to get it started.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Don't wait to sign up for unemployment, it takes a while to get it started.

Yep. You can probably do it online as well. Definately file they day you, if it happens, get laid off.

BCD
03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Don't wait to sign up for unemployment, it takes a while to get it started.I went online and filed the minute I got home from getting the news.

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 08:24 AM
The guy across the aisle from me got whacked.

Keeping my head down...

Frazod
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Ugh. I remember our last mass-whacking day. They didn't announce it, but after the first couple went down everybody figured it out. All you could do is hope somebody else's phone rings.

Good luck, Bob.

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
We've known about this since Thursday last week. It was supposed to be hush-hush, but everyone was talking about it. :rolleyes:

Dave Lane
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Good luck guy. Damn it seems like its everywhere...

Chief Henry
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Good luck to you.

Cave Johnson
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Hopefully you avoid being called into Ray Farmer's office.

ChiTown
03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Best of luck, Bob.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
We've known about this since Thursday last week. It was supposed to be hush-hush, but everyone was talking about it. :rolleyes:

How in the fuck can it be hush hush? Seriously, that is asking quite a bit for people to NOT talk about it. I couldn't imagine waiting 4 fucking days to find that shit out.

When they did ours, the CFO sent out a meeting for everyone in his division on Friday for a meerting Monday afternoon. He does that occasionally, so whatever. About 30 seconds later we get one from our director for 8:30 Monday Morning :spock: OK... So then Monday at 8:05 we get a memo from the CEO that they are reducing corporate workforce by 10%. Awwwwww shit. Well, we have our meeting and she waited until about 8:45 to finally get around to telling us that no one from our department got the axe.

Longest 40 minutes of my life. I couldn't imagine that being 4 fucking days. Jesus.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Another one from our team got it.

Our supervisor just came around and said that the rest of our group is safe.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Good deal, man. That is freaking good news.

Best of luck with the increased workload.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Another one from our team got it.

Our supervisor just came around and said that the rest of our group is safe.
:clap: congrats.

phisherman
03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
How in the **** can it be hush hush? Seriously, that is asking quite a bit for people to NOT talk about it. I couldn't imagine waiting 4 ****ing days to find that shit out.

When they did ours, the CFO sent out a meeting for everyone in his division on Friday for a meerting Monday afternoon. He does that occasionally, so whatever. About 30 seconds later we get one from our director for 8:30 Monday Morning :spock: OK... So then Monday at 8:05 we get a memo from the CEO that they are reducing corporate workforce by 10%. Awwwwww shit. Well, we have our meeting and she waited until about 8:45 to finally get around to telling us that no one from our department got the axe.

Longest 40 minutes of my life. I couldn't imagine that being 4 ****ing days. Jesus.
Posted via Mobile Device

are you kidding? 4 days, you think that's bad?

try two whole months. our team knew the exact notification date two months in advance.

and this happens once a year. BIG morale booster.

Fairplay
03-30-2009, 09:28 AM
It happend where i work two weeks ago. 9 jobs cut.

2 months before that, eleven people cut.

Its sombering news, Still makes you wonder if there is a round 3 or 4 coming down the pipe.

Frazod
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Congratulations on your survival. :thumb:

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM

try two whole months. our team knew the exact notification date two months in advance.

Jesus' tits!

Fuck that in the facehole.
Posted via Mobile Device

phisherman
03-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Jesus' tits!

**** that in the facehole.
Posted via Mobile Device

tell me about it. couple that with the absolute work shutdown that takes place during that wait and it's just hard to get anything done around here.

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the support. I'm happy, but still in a bit of a foul mood. The last guy that got it was probably the most likable guy on our team. A great guy and solid technically. This really sucks.

Frazod
03-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the support. I'm happy, but still in a bit of a foul mood. The last guy that got it was probably the most likable guy on our team. A great guy and solid technically. This really sucks.

The shitty part about surviving is that you have to do the work of the people who got canned, and you damn sure won't be getting a raise for it.

But it beats unemployment.

KC Dan
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Damn! Glad you survived it thus far my friend. Keep your head up and kick azz. That is the only hope that any of us have. Just gotta keep kickin' and bustin' azz. See you in 13 days on the beach to celebrate!

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM

Yep. That's understandable. Its probably going to be pretty shitty for awhile until you get figured out who is doing what.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
03-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Damn! Glad you survived it thus far my friend. Keep your head up and kick azz. That is the only hope that any of us have. Just gotta keep kickin' and bustin' azz. See you in 13 days on the beach to celebrate!
Thanks, buddy!

Send me your itinerary in a PM. I don't remember your arrival/departure times and dates

luv
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM

I know it causes worry, but I do think having notice is better than being blindsided with it. At least you had two months to make sure you had your finances in order, to skim the want ads to see what else might be out there, etc.

Demonpenz
03-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I would rely on gash4gold.com or payday advance, been burned by those two many a times

phisherman
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I know it causes worry, but I do think having notice is better than being blindsided with it. At least you had two months to make sure you had your finances in order, to skim the want ads to see what else might be out there, etc.

i disagree.

i'd rather be blindsided. seriously.

productivity goes to practically ZERO.

Fish
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I would rely on gash4gold.com or payday advance, been burned by those two many a times

Cash4gold.c0m can suck it. I'm all about the hardcore rapper white dude in a suit from weneedgold.c0m

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CIGftbEHo_w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Word......

vailpass
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Best wishes DG.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM

We all participate in this program, online or otherwise.

Congrats on surviving the storm, Dart.

luv
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
i disagree.

i'd rather be blindsided. seriously.

productivity goes to practically ZERO.

Last time it happened to me, I was completely blindsided. I also completely freaked out. I had no clue how I was going to pay my bills or keep my apartment. I was completely unprepared. Of course, you probably aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

Dallas Chief
03-30-2009, 10:18 AM
25% reduction in headcount.

I hope I survive.

Good luck man. The shizz starts rolling down on us this week too. 20% reduction...:shake:

DaFace
03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats on your survival, man. Sorry to hear about everyone else though.

TommyHawk69
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
We cut 80% of our people and I get calls daily from guys looking for work. My reply has almost become a standard recording (We hope somethings will come up in the next month or so). The sad part is I started saying it over six months ago.

Congrats on being one of the lucky ones.

phisherman
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Last time it happened to me, I was completely blindsided. I also completely freaked out. I had no clue how I was going to pay my bills or keep my apartment. I was completely unprepared. Of course, you probably aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

actually, the reason i'd rather have it suddenly is that i know that our company has a solid severance package and i've been here for almost 9 years. though i'd be sore to lose my job, it's not the end of my world.

you wouldn't believe the productivity drop and the amount of sniping/posturing that goes on when you have to wait that long.

kinda hard to keep your head down and working hard when the mgmt is saying something like "you're doing a great job, keep it up even though you may not be here after so and so".

jjchieffan
03-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Good luck with the job hunt. I hope yours goes as well as mine. I was off 1 week, then got a job paying a little less then half my normal income, but it still beat unemployment. I worked that for 4 weeks, then took another job that pays about a little more per week as the last job, just takes a shit load more hours to make it. I just put in a 109 hour work week. 69 hours of overtime. My last job, I usually worked 20-30 hours and made around $1000. A big change for me, but at least I was able to find a job, and one that replaces my income to boot.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM
actually, the reason i'd rather have it suddenly is that i know that our company has a solid severance package and i've been here for almost 9 years. though i'd be sore to lose my job, it's not the end of my world.

you wouldn't believe the productivity drop and the amount of sniping/posturing that goes on when you have to wait that long.

kinda hard to keep your head down and working hard when the mgmt is saying something like "you're doing a great job, keep it up even though you may not be here after so and so".

That's what I would think would be the case in most organizations. There is just no motivation to do a good job other than a reference from your boss.
All of the major motivation factors outside of pride in your work are just absent.
Posted via Mobile Device

chop
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm worried, I was invited to a meeting with my boss tomorrow. Having a meeting in not unusual but the invite was. I'm worried that it's what I have been dreading for some time.

KcMizzou
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm worried, I was invited to a meeting with my boss tomorrow. Having a meeting in not unusual but the invite was. I'm worried that it's what I have been dreading for some time.If that's what it is... it's a dick move to invite you the day before. If it were me, I'd rather have them just do it. Sucks that you have to sweat it... hopefully it's nothing.

Extra Point
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Good luck, and to others facing corporate cruelty.