PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: New Era Begins With Chiefs

Coogs
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
New Era Begins With Chiefs
Mar 30, 2009, 9:31:41 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

On Monday morning, a new era of Chiefs football will begin as the team gathers for the first day of head coach Todd Haleyís initial conditioning program.

For 20 of the teams in the NFL, these first days of off-season work are pretty standard stuff. For the 12 teams that have new coaches and coaching staffs, itís going to be like the first day in a new school for most of the players.

That will be especially true in Kansas City, maybe more than just about any of the other situations with new leadership in charge. Thatís because the slate has been wiped clean after two seasons with a 6-26 record. Thereís new management in Scott Pioli, who hired a new head coach in Haley. Combined, they are working to make a change in the culture around the Chiefs, not just in the locker room, but in the entire building.

Just what Haley has in store for the players that he inherited and those that have been added in the last month is unknown. What we know for sure is this: it will be very different than what the players came to expect in the last three seasons under Herm Edwards.

Some differences will be obvious. Thereís a new look to the offense that Haley will run, even if last yearís offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is still in that role. The spread offense that became the Chiefs attack at the end of last year will not be their base scheme this year.

The defense and special teams will be completely different. After five years with Gunther Cunningham running the defense, the team now has Clancy Pendergast as defensive coordinator. Based on what Pendergast did last year with the Arizona Cardinals, the Chiefs will run a hybrid version of the 3-4 defense, one that can morph from 4-3 to 3-4 from play-to-play or against different offenses.

Special teams coach Steve Crosby will begin the process of finding a solid returner, a consistent deep snapper and some top of the line coverage people. He may also be on the lookout for a kicker. Last year, because of injuries and inexperience, the Chiefs were lacking in all those areas over the 16-game season.

The guys running the conditioning program will be familiar faces in Cedric Smith and Brent Salazar. How they go about their jobs figures to be different, because everything around the Chiefs these days is different.

As important as this time will be for the players, itís also going to be very important for Pioli, Haley and the staff. This is when they get a chance to see what they have in flesh and blood, rather than on tape. They have impressions based on the production they saw from these guys over 16 game tapes and certainly Pioli is familiar with their backgrounds since heís been preparing for the NFL Draft for the last decade.

But nothing beats seeing players up close and personal. And you can bet the Pioli/Haley are also going to be looking to see how these players handle themselves, what type of work ethic they have, how willing they are to accept coaching, to accept possible position changes, etc. The new regime is looking for players who love the game, who put football on a level so important to their lives that theyíll put in extra time to get in shape and to learn the offense, defense and special teams.

Those returning players who learn to adapt, will flourish. Those that canít change will be left on the side of the road in the coming weeks and months.

Thereís really nothing settled about the roster the Chiefs will take to training camp in four months and the players who will be on the field for the teamís season opener on September 13.

That process begins on Monday.

vailpass
03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Too bad their new head coach started a pissing match with the franchise QB and now the QB won't be attending the first voluntary minicamp.
I laugh at the discord among your troops.

Coogs
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Too bad their new head coach started a pissing match with the franchise QB and now the QB won't be attending the first voluntary minicamp.

:huh:

DrRyan
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Wouldn't that be "your troops" Mr. Vailpass? Sure seems like your are describing the McDaniels/C***ler pissing/crying contest.

vailpass
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Wouldn't that be "your troops" Mr. Vailpass? Sure seems like your are describing the McDaniels/C***ler pissing/crying contest.

Ya think?

Blindside58
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Ya think?
No really....You are talking about your team stupidhead! I can't believe you would confuse that!Idiot!

RustShack
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
The spread offense that became the Chiefs attack at the end of last year will not be their base scheme this year.

Sorry Thigpen!

Coogs
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
If there happens to be any comments made public by the coaches or players, it will be interesting to see who does the talking. My guess is it won't be Brian Waters this time.

Crush
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Ya think?

ROFL

TRR
03-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Has there been any word on who showed up for the voluntary camp today? Maybe it isn't over yet today...

Coogs
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Has there been any word on who showed up for the voluntary camp today? Maybe it isn't over yet today...

Haley is supposed to have a news conference this afternoon sometime. I heard this right before 4:00 on 810, but I don't know what time the presser is.

Coogs
03-30-2009, 05:02 PM

I missed the press conference. From what I have found on other Chhiefs BB's, Cassel was there, along with about 60 some other players. When asked if LJ was there, Haley apparently said this was not going to be a roll call. I got the feeling from reading the other posts, that LJ, TG, and BW were all no shows... but nothing confirmed.

TRR
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
I missed the press conference. From what I have found on other Chhiefs BB's, Cassel was there, along with about 60 some other players. When asked if LJ was there, Haley apparently said this was not going to be a roll call. I got the feeling from reading the other posts, that LJ, TG, and BW were all no shows... but nothing confirmed.

Haley didn't speak to any player in particular. Unfortunately there wasn't one question asked regarding Cassel. The only players brought up were LJ and Waters, and Haley did the old "clean slate/we want players that want to be here" bit. Other than that, Coach Haley again gave us fans nothing of use.

JASONSAUTO
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM

i heard that TG was in KC today, what makes you think he didnt show?