PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody even take Curry over Maualuga?

Direckshun
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Seriously?

If we're going to invest the 3rd overall for a fucking ILB, why is Curry so much better?

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
If you're wanting an ILB, it doesn't get any more solid than Curry.

Whether or not Curry is worth the #3 pick is debatable. Whether or not Curry is better than Rey really isn't.

Pestilence
03-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Curry is better than Rey for 1 reason.

I feel that Curry can play in both the 4-3 and the 3-4. Rey to me is more a 3-4 ILB.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Rey is capable of playing in a 4-3...if he wasn't I doubt he'd have been doing it on the best college defense for the past 3 years.

Direckshun
03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Whether or not Curry is worth the #3 pick is debatable. Whether or not Curry is better than Rey really isn't.

Why?

DrRyan
03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Curry > Rey Rey. You might get Mecca to believe the opposite with you, but don't think you will find many scouts, fans, homers or analysts to agree with your take of Rey being better.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Why?

Why what?

Direckshun
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Why what?

Why is Curry so much better than Maualuga?

Mecca
03-30-2009, 05:24 PM
He's faster....he's better in coverage...they are just completely different players.

Although for being "big and slow" as he's summed up as by alot of people when you watch all the footage on them Maualuga stands out alot more than Curry does.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Why is Curry so much better than Maualuga?

They're completely different players. Curry is much more polished with an all-around solid skill set.

Rey to me seems to be more of a risk-taker and playmaker but maybe not quite as "solid" as Curry - ie. makes a few more mistakes.

aturnis
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Rey makes himself a liability. He plays too aggressive at times and I don't really know that he'd be overly trustworthy in coverage.

All in all, I think he'll be a great player. I love his intensity and his instincts. So, while I think he may gamble a bit in coverage, his good instincts will probably balance out his mistakes.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Rey makes himself a liability. He plays too aggressive at times and I don't really know that he'd be overly trustworthy in coverage.

Kind of the way I see it too.

Both guys are solid players, I just think Curry is the better all around prospect for an ILB.

That being said, neither is worth #3.

milkman
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Kind of the way I see it too.

Both guys are solid players, I just think Curry is the better all around prospect for an ILB.

That being said, neither is worth #3.

Curry is the better prospect from a talent standpoint, but that intensity and desire, and passion that Mauluga brings is the kind of thing that lights a fire under the players around him.

Neither is a #3 overall kind of player, IMO, but it's those intangibles that Mauluga brings to the field that leaves me hoping that we don't take Curry, trade down, and land Mauluga, if we draft LB.

Direckshun
03-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I look at Curry and I see DJ.

Maybe I'm just retarded.

Somebody tell me why Curry isn't DJ.

milkman
03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I look at Curry and I see DJ.

Maybe I'm just retarded.

Somebody tell me why Curry isn't DJ.

Simply stated, Curry is more physical that DJ.

DJ moves well in space and attempts to run around blocks.

Curry takes on the blocks and sheds them.

chop
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I think it was Mayock who said that he trusts the other USC LB (Cushing?) more than he does Rey. I didn't watch a whole lot of either of them so I don't have an opinion. I'm just repeating what was said.

milkman
03-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I think it was Mayock who said that he trusts the other USC LB (Cushing?) more than he does Rey. I didn't watch a whole lot of either of them so I don't have an opinion. I'm just repeating what was said.

Cushing is more disciplined, and better in coverage.

But as previously stated, the thing that separates Mauluga is intensity.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
There is nothing that Curry cannot do. He is the ultimate player and the best prospect to come out in the last 10 years.

Those who question him are QB obsessed ones who suck the penis.

Mr. Krab
03-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Hell yes, everyday and twice on Sunday(which is when it really counts).

KCrockaholic
03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
This is a terrible question. Brian Cushing will end up being a better player than Rey. Curry is no question the best pure Linebacker in the draft.

KCrockaholic
03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
There is nothing that Curry cannot do. He is the ultimate player and the best LB prospect to come out in the last 10 years.

ok I fixed it. Hes not the best prospect in the last ten years. But he is the best Linebacker.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
ok I fixed it. Hes not the best prospect in the last ten years. But he is the best Linebacker.

Uh, no.

I don't think there's any way this guy has the same type of impact on defense as Brian Urhlacher.

I'm not buying it.

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM

As long as the expectations are reasonable...

KCrockaholic
03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
Uh, no.

I don't think there's any way this guy has the same type of impact on defense as Brian Urhlacher.

I'm not buying it.

I dont really care if you buy it or not. I know what I know, and I believe what I believe.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2009, 01:11 AM
I dont really care if you buy it or not. I know what I know, and I believe what I believe.

So you're going on record saying that Curry is better than Uhrlacher?

Do you KNOW anything about Uhrlacher?

That's a HUGE leap you're taking and one that no one else, including all of the scouts and "mocksperts" have taken.

I don't buy it.

Do you live in ACC Country?

"Mocksperts" TM & (c) 2009 by DaneMcloud

KCrockaholic
03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
I never said Curry was better the Brian Urlacher. No undrafted rookie is better than any starting NFL player today. What ive said is that Curry is the type of player that Urlacher and Ray Lewis are. More Lewis than Urlacher. Hes a unique franchise leader that has a very good chance to be what Lewis is to the Ravens. Im not sure what your wanting me to say?

RustShack
03-31-2009, 01:32 AM
There is no way you have watched a Wake Forest game. Or you are a Wake Forest fan and total homer, I'm not sure which yet.

KCrockaholic
03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
There is no way you have watched a Wake Forest game. Or you are a Wake Forest fan and total homer, I'm not sure which yet.

:rolleyes:

Im not getting into this topic any longer. No im not a Wake Forest fan at all. But I have watched every WF game this past year specifically for scouting the WF defense. I cant get into it any longer.

Dave Lane
03-31-2009, 05:49 AM
There is nothing that Curry cannot do. He is the ultimate player and the best prospect to come out in the last 10 years.

Do you have some video of this great skill set? I've tried youtube and am unimpressed by what I've seen.

OnTheWarpath58
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Uh, no.

I'm not buying it.

He won't even have the same impact as Patrick Willis, IMO.

Mecca
03-31-2009, 12:41 PM
This whole best LB prospect of the last 10 years thing is really stupid so stop saying it.

RustShack
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
This whole best LB prospect of the last 10 years thing is really stupid so stop saying it.

You know hes better than Urlacher and Willis :rolleyes:

Buck
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Listen, you keep your hands of Maulaluga, hes going to the Chargers.

aturnis
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Funny. I love how you say he's the best LB prospect in the last 10 yrs, and then back peddle and say you never said he was better than Urlacher.

Saccopoo
03-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Funny. I love how you say he's the best LB prospect in the last 10 yrs, and then back peddle and say you never said he was better than Urlacher.

I think it was Charlie Casserly who recently said that he was the best linebacker prospect he's seen this past decade. I was watching the NFL channel this past week and one of the guys on the panel said it. Pretty sure it was Casserly.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Does anyone around here know what sarcasm is?

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Do you have some video of this great skill set? I've tried youtube and am unimpressed by what I've seen.

Never seen him play. But I can sense it.

He's going to be outstanding in every capacity.

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Does anyone around here know what sarcasm is?

Magic 8-ball says: Not likely.

DaneMcCloud
03-31-2009, 11:38 PM
Magic 8-ball says: Not likely.

I don't think that people even know what "Douchebag" means.

It doesn't mean "Dickhead".

It doesn't mean "Prick"

It doesn't mean "Cocksucker".

It doesn't mean "Condescending".

It has a meaning all of its own that's been lost in translation in this forum.

bdeg
03-31-2009, 11:40 PM
It's a versatile insult for douchey idiots. Certainly nothing to be proud of.

or are you referring to the literal sense of the word?

DaneMcCloud
04-01-2009, 12:06 AM
It's a versatile insult for douchey idiots. Certainly nothing to be proud of.

or are you referring to the literal sense of the word?

Literal.

It used to be a cool word, reserved for a "special" type of mouth-breathing, arrogant, money-waving, idiotic dickhead of epic proportions who could buy his way out of any and every situation.

But on the 'Planet, it's just like using the phrase "dick".

I'd give it a late 6th on the Value Chart at this point.

bdeg
04-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Most people don't think much of those types. Anyway, the literal sense of the word I was referring to was this http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:1zYWHdKa-frrSM:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SCNsjQ2I6a0/SQFSwxNkYCI/AAAAAAAAAaY/kFDIEAd-hX8/s320/douchebag.jpg

DaneMcCloud
04-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Most people don't think much of those types. Anyway, the literal sense of the word I was referring to was this http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:1zYWHdKa-frrSM:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SCNsjQ2I6a0/SQFSwxNkYCI/AAAAAAAAAaY/kFDIEAd-hX8/s320/douchebag.jpg

That looked more like an enema bag, but I get your point.

milkman
04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I never said Curry was better the Brian Urlacher. No undrafted rookie is better than any starting NFL player today. What ive said is that Curry is the type of player that Urlacher and Ray Lewis are. More Lewis than Urlacher. Hes a unique franchise leader that has a very good chance to be what Lewis is to the Ravens. Im not sure what your wanting me to say?

Ray Lewis brings unbridled passion and fire to the game every game, week in and week out, and that is what separates him from the rest of the LBs in the league.

Aaron Curry didn't even bring half that fire to the Bowl game against Navy, and you think he has the chance to be on the same level as Lewis.

Are you actually trying to sell that?

OnTheWarpath58
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Ray Lewis brings unbridled passion and fire to the game every game, week in and week out, and that is what separates him from the rest of the LBs in the league.

Aaron Curry didn't even bring half that fire to the Bowl game against Navy, and you think he has the chance to be on the same level as Lewis.

Are you actually trying to sell that?

http://i40.tinypic.com/mrw7qa.jpg

ChiefBrad
04-02-2009, 06:15 AM
Curry!! Do you know how hard it is to get reckoginzed as the top talent in the draft coming out of Wake Forest? This is not Like USC or Miami. This guy is the real deal. He has proven himself to be the best athlete in the draft. With no bias towards his program.

Cosmos
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
For this draft to be a real success, Piolo MUST trade out.

I believe he will...

This Curry talk is a waste of energy IMO.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
For this draft to be a real success, Piolo MUST trade out.

I believe he will...

This Curry talk is a waste of energy IMO.

I hope you're right.

milkman
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Curry!! Do you know how hard it is to get reckoginzed as the top talent in the draft coming out of Wake Forest? This is not Like USC or Miami. This guy is the real deal. He has proven himself to be the best athlete in the draft. With no bias towards his program.

Reckognized?

OnTheWarpath58
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Reckognized?

You better ax sombody.

milkman
04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
You better ax sombody.

I recon I better.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Curry!! Do you know how hard it is to get reckoginzed as the top talent in the draft coming out of Wake Forest?

Wow this has to be pretty stupid post. NFL scouts dont give one shit where a player went to school.

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow this has to be pretty stupid post. NFL scouts dont give one shit where a player went to school.

Im pretty sure it does make a difference. For example, if a DE has 15 sacks at Ohio State. And another DE has 15 sacks at NW Missouri State it will make a huge difference from a statistical standpoint. The guy from Ohio St. who played better competition will obviously stand out more.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 09:13 PM

I hope you don't actually believe this. What program you played in most definitely gives players different opportunities.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Wake Forest is in the ACC it isnt like he played in the NAIA.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Wake Forest is in the ACC it isnt like he played in the NAIA.

And you don't think there is a different exposure factor between a school like Wake Forest and USC?

Guarantee that if Mark Sanchez had played his one year at Wake Forest, he isn't close to the position he is in now...

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
And you don't think there is a different exposure factor between a school like Wake Forest and USC?

Guarantee that if Mark Sanchez had played his one year at Wake Forest, he isn't close to the position he is in now...

Then explain why David Carr out of Fresno State or Alex Smith out of Utah or Matt Ryan out of Boston College was taken that high. Exposure is there for us the fans but the scouts are different.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Then explain why David Carr out of Fresno State or Alex Smith out of Utah or Matt Ryan out of Boston College was taken that high. Exposure is there for us the fans but the scouts are different.

Well, you just named 3 QBs who played through their senior years. Big difference between that and a guy who played one year. If you think any of them would have received the same exposure playing for their schools for one year as Sanchez did at USC for one year, then I don't know what to tell you.

I think that it's pretty universally accepted that certain schools are known to produce pro players. Wake Forest wouldn't be on that list.

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, you just named 3 QBs who played through their senior years. Big difference between that and a guy who played one year. If you think any of them would have received the same exposure playing for their schools for one year as Sanchez did at USC for one year, then I don't know what to tell you.

I think that it's pretty universally accepted that certain schools are known to produce pro players. Wake Forest wouldn't be on that list.

schools such as Ohio State, Florida State, LSU, Miami, and USC would OWN that list.

DaneMcCloud
04-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Im pretty sure it does make a difference. For example, if a DE has 15 sacks at Ohio State. And another DE has 15 sacks at NW Missouri State it will make a huge difference from a statistical standpoint. The guy from Ohio St. who played better competition will obviously stand out more.

NW Missouri State?

Uh, how about using a comparison to a school that's actually Division I-A or I-AA?

But a Division II school - DUH!

DaneMcCloud
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM

So, the guy that was rated as the #1 high school football player in his class would suddenly be overlooked because he went to Wake?

I don't think so.

Mecca
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM

No he did not, Alex Smith left school as a redshirt sophomore.

doomy3
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
No he did not, Alex Smith left school as a redshirt sophomore.

You're right, sorry.

He got his degree in 2 years.

Basileus777
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
WTF is this shit? I don't want Curry at 3, but there's no fucking way Rey is a better prospect than Curry.

And the fact that he played at Wake Forest has no fucking relevance. It's not hard to get attention playing in the ACC.