PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Head Coach Todd Haley - March 30

wasi
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/03/30/qa_with_head_coach_todd_haley330/

Not a roll call.

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Haley's sending the message that team is more important than individuals. Nice.

JASONSAUTO
03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
wonder what the refusal to say who was there or not is all about

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I like that Haley's growing a beard/goat. People will respect him more.

Dicky McElephant
03-30-2009, 06:50 PM
WHICH ONE OF YOU MOTHERFUCKERS WANTS TO BE PART OF THE 22?!?!?!?!!

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Can someone post the text?
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Haley: We worked out today.

Media: Hey, is Larry Jo-

Haley: Get the fuck outta my face with that shit! Any more questions?

Media:......

Haley: Later.

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Haley: Get the fuck outta my face with that shit! Any more questions?

Haley: Later.

Thanks. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Micjones
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
LOVE the way he conducted the Q&A.

Keep it in house coach. Don't fuel the distractions.

bdeg
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM

no kidding.

it's ok to tell the media back off

KcMizzou

Haley: Get the **** outta my face with that shit! Any more questions?

Haley: Later.LMAO

Basically.

Just Passin' By

When every team in the league starts handling their business that way, the media will only need to look at the way it's handled things like the Cutler situation, spygate, cameragate T.O., Michael Vick, et al... to understand why it happened.

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
The thing I really like about Haley....he managed to defuse the LJ situation without a hint of arrogance. There was nothing insulting in his manner at all. Total opposite of Herm. If you asked a question that Herm didn't like...he always acted like he was offended.

TRR
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The thing I really like about Haley....he managed to defuse the LJ situation without a hint of arrogance. There was nothing insulting in his manner at all. Total opposite of Herm. If you asked a question that Herm didn't like...he always acted like he was offended.

It's a different feeling as a fan though. On one hand, I like the approach of Haley in the fact that the media doesn't need to know all the personal conversation, etc. that go on within the KC organization.

However...

I don't like the fact that I'm still not sure if Cassel will ever play a game for the Chiefs. If Brian Waters is coming or going. If one of the greatest TE's in history will finish his career in KC or not. It's almost overly secretive, and I guess we all might as well get used to it. The problem I see with Haley is that he isn't very "likeable" in the media. You can be that way if you win. If you lose, the media will chew him up and spit him out quicker than a coach like Edwards who convinces the media, the Chiefs brass, and many of the fans that he was/is headed in the right direction.

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
If you lose, the media will chew him up and spit him out quicker than a coach like Edwards who convinces the media, the Chiefs brass, and many of the fans that he was/is headed in the right direction.Maybe somewhere else. Not this town. The media are puppies.

JASONSAUTO
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
one good thing(maybe) is that i heard that TG was in KC today. whether or not it's true who knows

C-Mac
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

TODD HALEY: “Today we officially kicked off our off-season strength and conditioning program. I thought we had a great turnout, over 60 guys after two months of non-football business, moving and getting settled into the building. It was nice to get the players back in the building and kind of see what the team looked like for the first time. To have my coaches and the team together in one room was exciting stuff for me.”

Q: Was RB Larry Johnson on hand today?

HALEY: “One thing I am not going to do is have this become a roll call. Like I said, we had over 60 players which I was really excited about. That is what I am going to leave it at. Again, this won’t be a roll call out here.”

Q: What activities went on today?

HALEY: “They lifted, there were a couple groups that lifted in the morning and then we actually met as a group. It was the first time we had all been in the same room. Then another group lifted in the afternoon because there were so many guys. It was really my first chance to talk to these guys and this is my first time through it, my first time being the head coach of a team. It was exciting stuff for me to get in front of the team, talk to them and kind of lay it out there what my expectations were and what was going to be asked of them over the next 12 weeks of the off-season.”

Q: Were you nervous talking to the team for the first time?

HALEY: “Yeah, that was the first time in front of the full squad, so there are always some good nerves involved. I hope it didn’t show too much.”

Q: Is it one of your main tasks to change the culture to a winning culture?

HALEY: “I’m not going to get into the culture as much as I am going to get into everybody in this building being about winning. We all work too hard. To suffer through the losses is painful enough, we have to try to win more than we lose. We have a big task. I tried to offer a little hope that I have been somewhere the last few years that didn’t have a lot of hope and we got to get on the big stage and play for the championship. It was really about what the expectations are going to be of this group. What we are going to ask of them on a daily basis to get this thing going in the direction that we want to get it going.”

Q: What is your relationship like with RB Larry Johnson at this point and where do things stand with his grievance?

HALEY: “I’ll stay out of the grievance business, that is for somebody else to talk about. This is a clean slate for the entire group of Kansas City Chiefs as far as I am concerned and I have said that a couple times. We are at ground zero and this is an opportunity for everybody. That is the way myself and my staff are looking at each and every player.”

Q: Do you think guys that have been here the last few years are beaten down?

HALEY: “I didn’t get any sense of that. I got a true sense of excitement, but again, this building has been real quiet. Once you get the players in here and things start to pick up, they are definitely the heartbeat of the place. I sensed the excitement; I went down and watched some of the groups work out. I saw some of the guys working hard, sweating, working together and it is good stuff.”

Q: What do you want to see from your team in the next three months?

HALEY: “I just think that this off-season program is so important. They are voluntary but so important to building the foundation of your team. That strength and conditioning aspect of it is really important as we go forward to survive the season and hold up and withstand all that goes with it. To me the next 12 weeks are just about that, working together to get stronger, to get into condition, to run, lift and I think that can’t be understated how important this part of the process is.”

Q: When guys don’t show up for voluntary workouts, does that send a message to you?

HALEY: “I don’t feel that necessarily. Again, it is good to see as many as we had in here, 60-plus which for the first time out I think is pretty good. I was personally excited about it.”

Q: How do you plan to change the way workouts are done in comparison to last year?

HALEY: “I don’t know what was done before. I know the way I believe and I kind of set up the schedule that way. Although (strength and conditioning coach) Cedric (Smith) stayed with us, we spent a lot of time deciding the direction we are going to go and how we are going to work the players.”

Q: How do you expect your team to juggle their efforts in the community with football?

HALEY: “I think that football has to be first when we are talking about these things. At the same time, there is no doubt what an impact the NFL players can have on a town, a city, a state, on the whole country. I think it is very important that you conduct yourself in a proper manner. I am a big believer in giving back and helping out this town because we want them behind us when we are playing games. A lot of this town is about the Kansas City Chiefs. I researched a little bit that Kansas City has always been one of the better organizations in that way, giving back to the city. I think that is very important and has its place.”

Q: What is your personal relationship like with G Brian Waters?

HALEY: “I am going to leave my personal relationships with guys just that, personal. I said what I meant, this is a clean slate for everybody. As (General Manager) Scott (Pioli) and I have said before, we are looking for guys that want to be Kansas City Chiefs, that want to push their chips all in and be part of something hopefully special. That is where we are at, we are at that foundation, building a base.”

Q: Has classroom preparation started already?

HALEY: “No, the coaches and the players are chomping at the bit. That is one of the fights you get into, that this is the time to get your body ready. It is a tough deal because it is a new staff, new system, some new terminology and other things. Guys get a little anxious but we have a camp coming up here the weekend before the draft and that week we will probably spend a little classroom time so they can get a feel for what will be going on to help them through the camp.”

Q: How do you feel about the upcoming draft?

HALEY: “The draft is always an exciting time of the year for me. I grew up with a father in personnel and it was the first Super Bowl for him. When you start talking draft I start getting excited. There is a lot out there and you have a lot of hopes and dreams. You look at the guys and it is exciting. It is an exciting time of the year because anything can happen and it’s not scripted so anything can happen. We just hope we get through it in a good manner.”

Q: Where you at the Wake Forest pro day?

HALEY: “No, I was not.”

Q: Have you made up your mind what scheme you may run on offense or defense?

HALEY: “I really have not. My bottom line is going to be to get it right and do what is best. I am going to try and get the right answer and not the fastest answer. I know it is not helping you all out right now but we will know soon enough. I don’t want to say one thing and go another. That is the truth.”

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
TODD HALEY: “Today we officially kicked off our off-season strength and conditioning program. I thought we had a great turnout, over 60 guys after two months of non-football business, moving and getting settled into the building. It was nice to get the players back in the building and kind of see what the team looked like for the first time. To have my coaches and the team together in one room was exciting stuff for me.”

HALEY: “One thing I am not going to do is have this become a roll call. Like I said, we had over 60 players which I was really excited about. That is what I am going to leave it at. Again, this won’t be a roll call out here.”

Q: What activities went on today?

HALEY: “They lifted, there were a couple groups that lifted in the morning and then we actually met as a group. It was the first time we had all been in the same room. Then another group lifted in the afternoon because there were so many guys. It was really my first chance to talk to these guys and this is my first time through it, my first time being the head coach of a team. It was exciting stuff for me to get in front of the team, talk to them and kind of lay it out there what my expectations were and what was going to be asked of them over the next 12 weeks of the off-season.”

Q: Were you nervous talking to the team for the first time?

HALEY: “Yeah, that was the first time in front of the full squad, so there are always some good nerves involved. I hope it didn’t show too much.”

Q: Is it one of your main tasks to change the culture to a winning culture?

HALEY: “I’m not going to get into the culture as much as I am going to get into everybody in this building being about winning. We all work too hard. To suffer through the losses is painful enough, we have to try to win more than we lose. We have a big task. I tried to offer a little hope that I have been somewhere the last few years that didn’t have a lot of hope and we got to get on the big stage and play for the championship. It was really about what the expectations are going to be of this group. What we are going to ask of them on a daily basis to get this thing going in the direction that we want to get it going.”

Q: What is your relationship like with RB Larry Johnson at this point and where do things stand with his grievance?

HALEY: “I’ll stay out of the grievance business, that is for somebody else to talk about. This is a clean slate for the entire group of Kansas City Chiefs as far as I am concerned and I have said that a couple times. We are at ground zero and this is an opportunity for everybody. That is the way myself and my staff are looking at each and every player.”

Q: Do you think guys that have been here the last few years are beaten down?

HALEY: “I didn’t get any sense of that. I got a true sense of excitement, but again, this building has been real quiet. Once you get the players in here and things start to pick up, they are definitely the heartbeat of the place. I sensed the excitement; I went down and watched some of the groups work out. I saw some of the guys working hard, sweating, working together and it is good stuff.”

Q: What do you want to see from your team in the next three months?

HALEY: “I just think that this off-season program is so important. They are voluntary but so important to building the foundation of your team. That strength and conditioning aspect of it is really important as we go forward to survive the season and hold up and withstand all that goes with it. To me the next 12 weeks are just about that, working together to get stronger, to get into condition, to run, lift and I think that can’t be understated how important this part of the process is.”

Q: When guys don’t show up for voluntary workouts, does that send a message to you?

HALEY: “I don’t feel that necessarily. Again, it is good to see as many as we had in here, 60-plus which for the first time out I think is pretty good. I was personally excited about it.”

Q: How do you plan to change the way workouts are done in comparison to last year?

HALEY: “I don’t know what was done before. I know the way I believe and I kind of set up the schedule that way. Although (strength and conditioning coach) Cedric (Smith) stayed with us, we spent a lot of time deciding the direction we are going to go and how we are going to work the players.”

Q: How do you expect your team to juggle their efforts in the community with football?

HALEY: “I think that football has to be first when we are talking about these things. At the same time, there is no doubt what an impact the NFL players can have on a town, a city, a state, on the whole country. I think it is very important that you conduct yourself in a proper manner. I am a big believer in giving back and helping out this town because we want them behind us when we are playing games. A lot of this town is about the Kansas City Chiefs. I researched a little bit that Kansas City has always been one of the better organizations in that way, giving back to the city. I think that is very important and has its place.”

Q: What is your personal relationship like with G Brian Waters?

HALEY: “I am going to leave my personal relationships with guys just that, personal. I said what I meant, this is a clean slate for everybody. As (General Manager) Scott (Pioli) and I have said before, we are looking for guys that want to be Kansas City Chiefs, that want to push their chips all in and be part of something hopefully special. That is where we are at, we are at that foundation, building a base.”

Q: Has classroom preparation started already?

HALEY: “No, the coaches and the players are chomping at the bit. That is one of the fights you get into, that this is the time to get your body ready. It is a tough deal because it is a new staff, new system, some new terminology and other things. Guys get a little anxious but we have a camp coming up here the weekend before the draft and that week we will probably spend a little classroom time so they can get a feel for what will be going on to help them through the camp.”

Q: How do you feel about the upcoming draft?

HALEY: “The draft is always an exciting time of the year for me. I grew up with a father in personnel and it was the first Super Bowl for him. When you start talking draft I start getting excited. There is a lot out there and you have a lot of hopes and dreams. You look at the guys and it is exciting. It is an exciting time of the year because anything can happen and it’s not scripted so anything can happen. We just hope we get through it in a good manner.”

Q: Have you made up your mind what scheme you may run on offense or defense?

HALEY: “I really have not. My bottom line is going to be to get it right and do what is best. I am going to try and get the right answer and not the fastest answer. I know it is not helping you all out right now but we will know soon enough. I don’t want to say one thing and go another. That is the truth.”
Thanks.

DaWolf
03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
HALEY: “One thing I am not going to do is have this become a roll call.

A shorter way of saying it is "no."

philfree
03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
The text in these Q&As suck. A person really needs to watch it. Haley is so different then what I'm used too. First off he's younger then me. He's kinda like Happy Gilmore or something.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
And the question wasn't asked, How come Cassel doesn't have a number yet?

Katipan
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM

heh. Guess Larry wasn't on hand.

Katipan
03-30-2009, 09:04 PM
A shorter way of saying it is "no."

dammit

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM

I don't understand why Haley won't answer a ****ing simple question. "Where you at.."

What the **** kind of answer is that? Were I in Haley's shoes, I wouldn't be such a pussy about answering "where."

KCUnited
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
"we have to try to win more than we lose."

He wasn't bullshitting that we are at ground zero with comments like this, jesus christ I hope the short bus didn't roll and injure a couple guys on their way to the workout this morning.

TRR
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM

LOL! I have to admit, I have checked the kcchiefs.com roster almost every day to see if it has been updated with Cassel's number. I was certain he would take #10 (being it was his supposed high school and college number), but that was assigned to Terrance Copper today.

I have no idea what the hold up is involving his number other than they may be asking Len Dawson for permission to wear #16? Even if Cassel were set to be traded, they still would have assigned him a number at this point.

Very odd...And I have to admit I am a tad bit obsessed over it. :)

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
The text in these Q&As suck. A person really needs to watch it. Haley is so different then what I'm used too. First off he's younger then me. He's kinda like Happy Gilmore or something.

He's 40. He's a man.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
60 guys. DAMN. Have there ever been that many before?

bishop_74
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM

The answer is because they are not sure if they are going to keep him. Draft is 25 days away.

TRR
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
The answer is because they are not sure if they are going to keep him. Draft is 25 days away.

Whether they keep him or not, they would at least assign him a number. I don't necessarily buy that. If that were the case, then he would never even been at Arrowhead.

PastorMikH
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
60 guys.

I count 62 total on the active roster posted on the Chiefs site.

60 of 62? LJ and Waters had to be the two missing.

bishop_74
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Whether they keep him or not, they would at least assign him a number. I don't necessarily buy that. If that were the case, then he would never even been at Arrowhead.

Well scratch that

Introducing #7 Matt Cassel...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/3/30/815982/introducing-7-matt-cassel

BigRock
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
The AFC West blog on ESPN said the team and LJ are trying to work out the grievance issue prior to Wednesday's hearing. If that's true, he was surely there today.

wasi
03-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Haley hasn't proven anything yet, but I haven't seen anything to dislike about him yet. If pissing off Brian Waters was anything as close to as boneheaded as what the Broncos coach did to Cutler, I'd be concerned with Haley's ability to be an NFL HC.

However, I don't think the Chiefs are going to be much better than last year in terms of wins and losses. Maybe it's because there is only a season's worth of tape on a large portion of the roster but I get the feeling no one really knows what the team can do.

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 10:47 PM
The AFC West blog on ESPN said the team and LJ are trying to work out the grievance issue prior to Wednesday's hearing. If that's true, he was surely there today.

Walk towards the light, LJ....walk towards the light....we have offensive linemen here...

DaneMcCloud
03-30-2009, 10:52 PM
we have offensive linemen here...

Where?

PastorMikH
03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Haley hasn't proven anything yet, but I haven't seen anything to dislike about him yet. If pissing off Brian Waters was anything as close to as boneheaded as what the Broncos coach did to Cutler, I'd be concerned with Haley's ability to be an NFL HC.

However, I don't think the Chiefs are going to be much better than last year in terms of wins and losses. Maybe it's because there is only a season's worth of tape on a large portion of the roster but I get the feeling no one really knows what the team can do.

Haley/Waters - Waters shows up unannounced, no appointment, and expects to walk right in and talk to the HC and GM. Those guys are busy trying to get the last aspects of a coaching staff assembled, trying to figure out what they have on their hands in the way of a team, evaluate players, evaluate potential FAs to fill needs, evaluating college players for the draft, get a schedule set for the off season workouts, training and so on and on and on. They didn't have time to meet with Waters, he got offended.

Denver/Cutler - Cutler finds out the new HC is trying to make a trade for a QB to replace him.

Big difference.

Count Alex's Losses
03-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Where?

Mike Goff and a center and right tackle to be named later!

wasi
03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Denver/Cutler - Cutler finds out the new HC is trying to make a trade for a QB to replace him.

Big difference.

And it feels so good...