PDA

View Full Version : Misc Knee pain

luv
03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Okay, so I've been walking a three mile route for a while now. Gradually, I've been jogging more. Last Wednesday, I jogged probably 3/4 of the way. Ever since then, my knees have been killing me. I don't have the best shoes for jogging, so I dismissed it as being the wrong shoes. Yesterday, I went for my walk, and when I went to start jogging by knees buckled. I tried three or four times throughout my route to jog, only to have the same thing happen each time. Today, when I went for my walk. It hurt just to walk, so I didn't even attempt jogging. It's like my knees would lock whenever I would take a step. I tried walking with my legs slightly bent, but then they almost buckled. It hurts to walk up and down stairs, which is just great with livig on the second floor. Just wondering how much pain can be contributed to wearing the wrong shoes? While stnding still after my walk, the backs of my knees felt like they were stretched. Is that normal? I guess I'm just seeing if anyone else has experienced this to see if it's common or something I should have checked out. Thanks.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Lots of things can cause knee buckling...everything from having a screwed up knee with loose things floating around in it, to going from limited physical activity to alot to changing your weight bearing to having weak quad muscles...

If your knees are really sore the question is do you feel any kind of popping or see any swelling.

luv
03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Lots of things can cause knee buckling...everything from having a screwed up knee with loose things floating around in it, to going from limited physical activity to alot to changing your weight bearing to having weak quad muscles...

If your knees are really sore the question is do you feel any kind of popping or see any swelling.

No popping, and no swelling that I've been able to notice.

It was funny, I felt like I was walking straight-legged. It just felt weird. Then, when I tried walking with my legs slightly bent, I felt like I was trying to learn how to walk...lol.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Well I had to ask because if you feel popping then experience pain and swelling you tore something.

If you are locking up like that, that usually is a sign of something being lose in your knee it means it's catching in your joint. It could be anything from some floating bone chips to a torn meniscus catching in your joint...or it may not be anything...

You should probably see a doctor.

MIAdragon
03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Im sure the shoes you're wearing are not helping

luv
03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I had to ask because if you feel popping then experience pain and swelling you tore something.

If you are locking up like that, that usually is a sign of something being lose in your knee it means it's catching in your joint. It could be anything from some floating bone chips to a torn meniscus catching in your joint...or it may not be anything...

You should probably see a doctor.

I probably should, but I'm going to try getting some insoles (sp?) first, until I can save up for some good shoes. It I'm still feeling pain by then, I'll probably go see my doctor. Like I said, I just wanted to see if it was common.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
I have that kind of stuff happen all the time, only went to the doctor for it one time, they took an x-ray and told me they didn't see anything, never gone back to one for it again. I blame it on 18 years of climbing up and down ladders.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I've never heard of shoes causing a knee to lock up or buckle, it can cause pain but not the physical act of that I don't think...

Unless of course you just have really bad knees and aren't telling us that.

Count Zarth
03-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I had knee pain until I dropped under 230 pounds.

badgirl
03-30-2009, 06:30 PM
My sons knees have ached since he was about 15 the Dr. said it was from growing so fast, well he is now 6'5 and his knees still hurt. If you had torn something it would probably be in just one knee, but with both hurting at the same time i couldn't imagine what it would be.

luv
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I've never heard of shoes causing a knee to lock up or buckle, it can cause pain but not the physical act of that I don't think...

Unless of course you just have really bad knees and aren't telling us that.

Never had bad knees. Of course walking/jogging with shoes without the proper cushioning could have worn them down. I'm going to continue with the weight training, and get some better support.

luv
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I had knee pain until I dropped under 230 pounds.

I'm at 218. :D

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Stretch before and after, make sure you warm up and cool down sufficiently, and if they're giving you that much trouble, ice them when you're done.

Miles
03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
I probably should, but I'm going to try getting some insoles (sp?) first, until I can save up for some good shoes. It I'm still feeling pain by then, I'll probably go see my doctor. Like I said, I just wanted to see if it was common.

I don't think insoles would help much in the way of shock absorption. You may try checking around the internet for closeout running shoes to save on cost. Seems like the ones that are kind of ugly / bad colors or last year's model tend to sell at a pretty good discount.

Count Zarth
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM

You're 5-7, or somesuch. I'm 5-11.

luv
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think insoles would help much in the way of shock absorption. You may try checking around the internet for closeout running shoes to save on cost. Seems like the ones that are kind of ugly / bad colors or last year's model tend to sell at a pretty good discount.

Running shoes are made for running. If they go with sweats or gym shorts, I'm good. If not, I'm still good. I'm jogging, so it's not like I'm trying to impress people. :)

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Do you have any foot problems?

luv
03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you have any foot problems?

Not that I've ever been aware of. I think I my be slightly flat footed, but nothing major.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
My one knee gives me issues but mine is a condition I was born with where my knee cartilege just wears away faster so it's basically a degenerating condition so that's fun..

You should hear it when I walk up and down stairs it's...pop, pop, pop.

Phobia
80% sure you have weak quads. Try doing some lunges for a couple weeks before venturing into the world of running. Also, try climbing your apt stairs 2 at a time for 10 minutes to build those quads. Step up onto a sturdy coffee table

Mecca
Not that I've ever been aware of. I think I my be slightly flat footed, but nothing major.

The bottom of my foot is so heavily calloused you could literally stab me about an half an inch deep without me feeling it.

cdcox
I get sore knees from time to time. When I used to ride my bike, I'd get them from going up hills early in the season before I had built up the supporting muscles. Last week they were sore after a lot of going up and down stairs carrying heavy loads (I probably do 250 stairs up and 250 stairs down on a typical day).

Basically, I have to rest them before they get better.

Running is about the worst thing you can do with your knees. I wouldn't even think about it unless I had good shoes. I'll bet you can get your heart rate up into your target range just by walking really fast, with no bad impacts on your knees.

Miles
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Running shoes are made for running. If they go with sweats or gym shorts, I'm good. If not, I'm still good. I'm jogging, so it's not like I'm trying to impress people. :)

What else would you wear? Running shoes are also used for jogging. If you are jogging on pavement good running shoes are even more important.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Running is rather overrated anyhow.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
80% sure you have weak quads. Try doing some lunges for a couple weeks before venturing into the world of running. Also, try climbing your apt stairs 2 at a time for 10 minutes to build those quads. Step up onto a sturdy coffee table

Where are your quads? Calves? What about a weight machine where you sit and lift your feet? I do that on 40 lbs.

cdcox
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM

These should fit the bill.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5327871&postcount=3

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Where are your quads? Calves? What about a weight machine where you sit and lift your feet? I do that on 40 lbs.

A quad is your thigh muscle...

luv
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
These should fit the bill.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5327871&postcount=3

Out of those, I would go for the lower left.

boogblaster
Try ice after runnin' ... There's a product called "Sore No More" its all natural, it helps take out the sharp pain ....

LOCOChief

If your 5'11" and 218lbs you probably shouldnt be jogging.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:08 PM

I'm 5'7". Why? Because I'm fat? Hello, that's the whole point of jogging.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM

That's rather harsh.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
That's rather harsh.

Are you kidding? Fat people aren't supposed to have feelings. We're ugly, disgusting, lazy, good for nothing people who waste oxygen.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Are you kidding? Fat people aren't supposed to have feelings. We're ugly, disgusting, lazy, good for nothing people who waste oxygen.

LOL...perception makes me laugh sometimes, there are more fat people than skinny people, hell there are more grossly hugely fat people than skinny people anymore I'm talking needs 2 chairs fat.

My personal opinion is aslong as you are happy with yourself that's what's important.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Shit, you think being fat is bad, you should try being a smoker.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM

What if you're a fat smoker?

luv

I thought we established that's not nearly as bad.

luv
LOL...perception makes me laugh sometimes, there are more fat people than skinny people, hell there are more grossly hugely fat people than skinny people anymore I'm talking needs 2 chairs fat.

My personal opinion is aslong as you are happy with yourself that's what's important.

I'm not, hence the jogging. :)

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm always going to weigh atleast 200lbs I accept that, and I'm also not going to spend the rest of my life eating stuff that tastes like cardboard so I can be 10lbs lighter.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I thought we established that's not nearly as bad.
Which isn't as bad?

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
For the record a friend of mine chews tobacco...I'd rather a smoker blew smoke in my face than watch him spit that nasty shit in a bottle.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Which isn't as bad?

That fat people cause medical employees more pain, and that there were more illnesses due to being fat. That fat people should cause insurance rates to go up as well.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm always going to weigh atleast 200lbs I accept that, and I'm also not going to spend the rest of my life eating stuff that tastes like cardboard so I can be 10lbs lighter.

You're also a guy.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
That fat people cause medical employees more pain, and that there were more illnesses due to being fat. That fat people should cause insurance rates to go up as well.
I don't recall coming to that conclusion, are you sure I was present for that discussion? There's way more of a stigma attached to being a smoker than being overweight.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I do hope you all realize I'm being completely sarcastic in my comments, and that nothing has been taken personally. Just knowing how I come across a lot, I thought I should clarify.

Well, except for not being happy with my body, but that is in the process of being changed.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Same here, I eat stuff that tastes good. After all, you only live once.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:21 PM
You're also a guy.

Just so you know not every guy likes the same thing just like not every woman does...

luv
03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Just so you know not every guy likes the same thing just like not every woman does...

Eh, I'm not changing for someone else. I want to feel good about myself. That confidence will help with other areas of my life.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Eh, I'm not changing for someone else. I want to feel good about myself. That confidence will help with other areas of my life.

Well alrighty, I just know my experience in the past is people who don't have confidence that think losing weight, or doing this or that will give it to them usually end up disappointed.

It may work for you, but being confident is usually something you either have or you don't.

keg in kc
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Well alrighty, I just know my experience in the past is people who don't have confidence that think losing weight, or doing this or that will give it to them usually end up disappointed.

It may work for you, but being confident is usually something you either have or you don't.Weight's usually a result of how you feel about yourself, rather than the other way around. You have to change on the inside for changes on the outside to really matter.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:29 PM

It may work for you, but being confident is usually something you either have or you don't.

I know myself well enough to know what my misery has stemmed from. You'd be very surprised upon meeting me in person. Rausch said I didn't seem nearly as insecure in person as I seem to be on here.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm 5'7". Why? Because I'm fat? Hello, that's the whole point of jogging.

I think what he's trying to say is that you can accomplish a lot with a serious walk (think mall walkers or something similar) and be far easier on your joints and what not.

As you start to build up strength, then think about increasing speed, distance, etc.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I think what he's trying to say is that you can accomplish a lot with a serious walk (think mall walkers or something similar) and be far easier on your joints and what not.

As you start to build up strength, then think about increasing speed, distance, etc.

Mallrats?........stinkpalm?

luv
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM

I've been power walking for well over a month. I started with two miles, and now I do three. I've slowly started jogging, and have been trying to increase it. I'm going to look into the exercises Phil suggested. I'm still wondering if the one I mentioned that I do helps my quads.

Katipan
03-30-2009, 07:42 PM
You need a shoe with arch and ankle support for your 3 mile journeys.

Anyone that ran track knows what the wobbly legs you described feels like. So work those quads till the cows come home. Find a high school and walk the bleachers. But teflon quads are still going to make wobbly knees if you have shitty shoes.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been power walking for well over a month. I started with two miles, and now I do three. I've slowly started jogging, and have been trying to increase it. I'm going to look into the exercises Phil suggested. I'm still wondering if the one I mentioned that I do helps my quads.

Do you have any freeweights? Something light would work. Probably 10 lbs max. Hold these as you do the lunges to increase the difficult a bit as you become more comfortable with the exercise.

You could also use these weights to do a squat. Just hold the weights up to approximately shoulder level.

Phil gave you solid advice. Not sure what exercise you're alluding to, since I scanned through the thread.

Nothing wrong with power walking, though. And, to be honest, saying that you've been doing it for a month really isn't that long. Don't get me wrong, you're doing great, it's just that this is a long process, for anyone.

luv
03-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Do you have any freeweights? Something light would work. Probably 10 lbs max. Hold these as you do the lunges to increase the difficult a bit as you become more comfortable with the exercise.

You could also use these weights to do a squat. Just hold the weights up to approximately shoulder level.

Phil gave you solid advice. Not sure what exercise you're alluding to, since I scanned through the thread.

Weight machine where you sit downand lift your feet up in front of you. I do 7 8-count reps of 40 lbs during a workout, and I defiitely feel in in the front of my thighs.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Weight machine where you sit downand lift your feet up in front of you. I do 7 8-count reps of 40 lbs during a workout, and I defiitely feel in in the front of my thighs.

A leg curl.

Yes, this is nice exercise. Combine it with lunges and squats and you'll be cooking.

Mecca
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Just look and see if you can noticeably flex your thigh muscle...

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Just look and see if you can noticeably flex your thigh muscle...

(All posters look at their thighs at once.)

luv
03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
A leg curl.

Yes, this is nice exercise. Combine it with lunges and squats and you'll be cooking.

We do have some free weights where I do my weight training. 10 lbs while lunging and squatting?

rockymtnchief
03-30-2009, 08:14 PM

This.

If you're going to run, get running shoes. They're made for a heel strike/toe push-off and have more shock absorbtion. Cross trainers, basketball shoes, etc... are made more for lateral support.

DeezNutz
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
We do have some free weights where I do my weight training. 10 lbs while lunging and squatting?

Yeah. Just something light that you feel comfortable with.

Even 5's would be fine at first. It's just a little something to give you some extra resistance.

As you get more comfortable with the exercise, increase the weight. As always, go slow. Trust me, you'll feel the results.

rockymtnchief
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Running downhill puts a lot of stress on knees and hips.

luv
03-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah. Just something light that you feel comfortable with.

Even 5's would be fine at first. It's just a little something to give you some extra resistance.

As you get more comfortable with the exercise, increase the weight. As always, go slow. Trust me, you'll feel the results.

Tomorrow is weight training. I'll definitely try it. Thanks!

milkman
03-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I have that kind of stuff happen all the time, only went to the doctor for it one time, they took an x-ray and told me they didn't see anything, never gone back to one for it again. I blame it on 18 years of climbing up and down ladders.

An x-ray isn't very likely going to show if there a soft tissue problem.

A torn miniscus, or ligament won't show.

LiL stumppy
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Knee tendinitis. Get pre wrap and wrap it around the bottom front of your knee or some type of pressure and it will go away.

Silock
03-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Stretch. Also, get properly FITTED for shoes. Don't just go to Foot Locker. Go to an actual running store and get fitted. You don't even have to buy the shoes there. Just get your brand and size and order online if you want to save some money (if possible).

If the problem persists, see a doctor.

BryanBusby
03-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Stretch. Also, get properly FITTED for shoes. Don't just go to Foot Locker. Go to an actual running store and get fitted. You don't even have to buy the shoes there. Just get your brand and size and order online if you want to save some money (if possible).

If the problem persists, see a doctor.
Yeah this. The worst thing you could do is not properly stretch before doing any exercise.

Silock
03-31-2009, 12:35 AM
More beneficial to do it after. Stretching cold muscles doesn't really do much except make you feel better. Once the muscles are warmed up, they're much more pliable. A good slow warmup should be all that's needed.

penguinz
03-31-2009, 01:47 AM
More beneficial to do it after. Stretching cold muscles doesn't really do much except make you feel better. Once the muscles are warmed up, they're much more pliable. A good slow warmup should be all that's needed.Thank you! Someone that knows that it is pointless (can even be more harmful than good) to stretch before exercising.

Saggysack
03-31-2009, 02:14 AM
First thing to do is get proper shoes. Without the right kind, or even old footwear can cause a good amount of knee pain. But having said you have knee pain doesn't really tell us much. Is the pain behind the knee, bottom of the knee, does the pain streak across your kneecap or is it just an overall ache. Each one can lead to a different diagnosis.

I would start looking at what the minor causes might be before thinking you have major issues with your knee.

I'd start your search here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retropatellar_Pain_Syndrome

luv
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
First thing to do is get proper shoes. Without the right kind, or even old footwear can cause a good amount of knee pain. But having said you have knee pain doesn't really tell us much. Is the pain behind the knee, bottom of the knee, does the pain streak across your kneecap or is it just an overall ache. Each one can lead to a different diagnosis.

I would start looking at what the minor causes might be before thinking you have major issues with your knee.

I'd start your search here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retropatellar_Pain_Syndrome

I feel it the most right below my knee caps. When I'm done walking, I feel the stretched feeling in the backs of my knees.

I'm going to work primarily on my leg curls and lunges during my weight training today.

wazimo
03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree with Lil Stumpy. Most common causes are knee tendonitus and tight hamstrings. Quickest, cheapest and easiest cure is to streatch more, drink more water and Ice the affected area with a dickie cup that you froze (with a towel to avoid dripping everywhere). Also, go to a drug store and get some MSM (it's like Glucosime Chrondroiton but much stronger). This should help within a copule of days.

Please note; I am not a medically trained professional, just some hack who has been running a long time. You should seek out a medical opinion....yada, yada, yada! So dont sue me if you go breasts or a second penis.

luv
03-31-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with Lil Stumpy. Most common causes are knee tendonitus and tight hamstrings. Quickest, cheapest and easiest cure is to streatch more, drink more water and Ice the affected area with a dickie cup that you froze (with a towel to avoid dripping everywhere). Also, go to a drug store and get some MSM (it's like Glucosime Chrondroiton but much stronger). This should help within a copule of days.

Please note; I am not a medically trained professional, just some hack who has been running a long time. You should seek out a medical opinion....yada, yada, yada! So dont sue me if you go breasts or a second penis.

I already have breasts, and, in order to grow a second penis, I'd have to grow a first one.

Not to worry, no one's suing anyone here.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 09:54 AM
I have had a long history of knee issues, including two surgeries on my left. I'm probably way overdue for #3.

Depending on who you talk to walking will burn almost as much or possibly more calories per mile than jogging, though obviously those miles take longer. It is infinitely easier on your knees, however. Losing weight and strengthening my legs are the two things that help most. I do take a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM tablet twice a day and it seems to help. When I'm having particularly bad days I'll just pop an Advil in the morning and at night and that seems to get me over the hump.

If you're going to do squats, lunges, or any other weight bearing leg exercises make sure you keep your weight on your heels and not your toes. Also make sure you keep your knees behind your toes to minimize stress on the knee.

wazimo
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
If you try what I recommended and still have issues you could try a cold laser treatment. This devise works really well on any soft tissue/ connective tissue. The main ones I recommend are the Erchonia or ML830. Typically, chiropractors are the practisioners who use these. I live just north of Atlanta so I cannot offer you someone to go and see.

Good luck with the boobs.

wazimo
03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
...oh and I meant to say one more thing. Tendonitus typically 'warms up' as you exercise and is sore primarily before and after. If it does not feel better 10 mins or so into exercise you probably have something else going on.

Bacon Cheeseburger
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM

Gee, are you saying a doctor would waste time and money on useless test?

kysirsoze
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM

That's what an MRI is for.

B_Ambuehl
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
A a general rule running is not good for women unless they're built like men. Women have wider hips which inherently increases the angle the femur attaches to the knee, inherently creating more knee stress. That stress is compounded if you're overweight and compounded even more if you're running on solid ground (asphalt). The quad exercises will help but the best solution is to walk on an incline or find something else to do rather than jog as it will tear you up eventually, it's really just a matter of when.

Jilly
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
My goodness, Luv, I feel like you're dealing with a different ailment almost every week. The 30's suck huh?! ;-)

luv
03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
My goodness, Luv, I feel like you're dealing with a different ailment almost every week. The 30's suck huh?! ;-)

I know. I never thought it was true until this year. At this rate, I'll be lucky to see 40! :)

luv
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
A a general rule running is not good for women unless they're built like men. Women have wider hips which inherently increases the angle the femur attaches to the knee, inherently creating more knee stress. That stress is compounded if you're overweight and compounded even more if you're running on solid ground (asphalt). The quad exercises will help but the best solution is to walk on an incline or find something else to do rather than jog as it will tear you up eventually, it's really just a matter of when.

It also doesn't help to have a big chest.

I guess I could stick to power walking. It actually only takes me about 3 minutes longer to power walk my three miles than it does to jog/walk it. I'm good at setting a pace and not slowing down, even on the uphill. I can just challenge myself to walk faster every time. Once I've gotten to where I can't do it any faster, I'll up the distance.

I'm still going to work my quads though.

luv
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Holy crap! You guys are right. I can definitely tell I worked my quads. Focused on leg curls and lunges (followed your rules to remember, Simplex). Added a bunch of sit ups, too. Wow. What a workout! I feel great!

milkman
04-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Gee, are you saying a doctor would waste time and money on useless test?

Yes I am.

I tore my ACL amd MCl, had three negative x-rays before finally getting an MRI.

The funny thing about it was that the orthopedic surgeon I went to didn't even look at the MRI results before examining my knee and reaching the conclusion that I'd torn the ACL.

Actually had three separate tears of the ACL, along with the torn MCL.

Skip Towne
04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Yes I am.

I tore my ACL amd MCl, had three negative x-rays before finally getting an MRI.

The funny thing about it was that the orthopedic surgeon I went to didn't even look at the MRI results before examining my knee and reaching the conclusion that I'd torn the ACL.

Actually had three separate tears of the ACL, along with the torn MCL.

I figured you just needed knee pads.