PDA

View Full Version : Royals Anyone around during the KC A's era?

Paniero
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Just reading about the history of the Royals before I was old enough to follow them, which was when I was 7 or so during the 1985 series and baseball was at the forefront of everything KC. I read that the A's were little more than a farm team for the Yankees due to a overt relationship between the organizations' leaders, sending up and coming stars such as Roger Maris to the Yankees for little compensation or for big name stars during the twilight of their career.

What was is like before the Royals? It's interesting to see how the Royals were pretty much mandated by a MO senator to replace the departing A's, and how the A's were shopped around so many places prior to landing in Oakland.

It's also interesting to learn where the elephant comes into play for the Athletics.

Sometimes I miss KC tremendously. Hope all is well there.

sd4chiefs
03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I remember going to a few games with my Dad but that was a Billion years ago. There was a small grassy hill behind the right field fence that had goats eating the grass. When the Umpire behind home plate needed more balls a rabbit statue would pop up and give him more balls. That's all I got. Grap!, I am an old fart.

Frazod
03-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I remember my dad telling me about going to their games occasionally when he lived there (shortly before and after I was born in the mid-60s). Said they really sucked, but he enjoyed going to the games.

Demonpenz
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Reggie Jackson started with the Kansas City A's, before he tried to kill the queen

Extra Point
03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
As a 10 year old, I hated the day that the announcement came that took away our home-plate rabbit, the elephant, and Alvin Dark. I thought then, as a kid, that the twin stadiums should have been built in the west bottoms, close to downtown. J.B. Dillinham was just too greedy to let go of the stockyards, that had been dead for years. The sliding roof would have held the Royal in the new Arrowhead. But what were we thinking?

Reerun_KC
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Skip Towne? :shrug:

milkman
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I can vaguely remember the KC As, but I didn't get into baseball at a really early age like I did football.

I didn't really start to follow baseball until about the '70 season, maybe '71.

ROYC75
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
The A's, oh I remember them well as a kid. We use to go there all the time, Ol Charlie had his boys and visions. Just KC didn't draw they way he wanted them to draw.

Color Red
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
The Kansas City A's. Campy, Ed Charles, Mike Hershberger, Dick Green. Are you kidding? Charlie Finley was hated, and loved, and hated! But he was a showman, brought us the rabbit behind home plate, lamb chop hill, Charlie O the Mule, and Campy Campaneris Day! That was the game in which Campy played a different fielding position each inning, all nine positions in a single game. He was the first player ever to do that.

Finley also tried to introduce the orange baseball for play. That was interesting.

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Skip Towne? :shrug:

You rang? I started with the A's in 1954. I think the opening lineup included Hector Lopez and Joe De Maestrie (SP) We were truly a farm team to the Yankees. This was before Charley Finley showed up. We gave up Roger Maris for Harry "Suitcase" Simpson" and another scrub. If we ever got a good player he became a Yankee right quick. I think Clete Boyer was one of them. We played at old Municipal Stadium at 23rd & Brooklyn (I think) It was just up the street from Bryant's Bar B Q and is how I found Bryant's. There was little parking near the stadium so you had to pay 50 cents to park in somebody's yard. Then walk several blocks, past Bryant's, to the ballpark. The wonderful smell coming from Bryant's made us stop to eat after the game. Those were wonderful times for me. I was 9 years old in 1954.

joesomebody
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Can some of you that remember explain the rabbit more? I don't know why, but I am intrigued. I tried to find pictures online but failed.

Jenson71
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
This thread is golden.

"Now what'd ya say thar boy? Oh the A's! Hell yeah boy I remember the A's! Pa and me'd hop in the '46 Fleetmaster and head out to the ol field. Goats would be runnin' in an out of the dugouts and we'd feed em Crackerjack til they fell over and died of sugar coma. Then we'd eat half of em right then and there and sell the rest to a butcher on the way home. We used to fight with the players if they struck out. Back then you needed to get the ball in play -- that was the name of the game. Not this razzle dazzle homerun or strikeout stuff you see in today's 'ballplayers.' Hell no boy."

joesomebody
03-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Well I found one. Finney sounds like one hell of a character. http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sports2000/trends/i/finbunny.jpg

Danman
03-31-2009, 05:15 AM
I barely remember the A's. The rabbit was cool, but they left town when I was about 6. I remember a couple years later being real upset that the Royals were replacing Paul Schaul with somebody I never heard of. . . but I guess George Brett didn't turn out so bad.

WilliamTheIrish
03-31-2009, 05:54 AM
I barely remember the games. I was little. I do remember the names and faces that went with them. And the history.

To this day when we see a guy a bungle a ground ball one of my brothers will yell, "It's the white thing, Hector"! Hector made a lot a bad fielding plays.

Always thought "Suitcase" Simpson was one of the all time nicknames.

The frustrating part was 3 short years after Charlie took them to Oakland, the bastards won 3 consecutive titles. One of the great dynasties before free agency broke them apart.

WilliamTheIrish
03-31-2009, 05:56 AM
If you can find a copy of the 1986 Baseball Abstract by Bill James, he chronicles the A's history as only he can. I highly recommend it.

old_geezer
03-31-2009, 05:58 AM
One of the highlights of growing up was my little league coach taking us to the stadium to watch the A's play the Red Sox. I watched my boyhood idol - Ted Williams - hit a single, double, and draw a base on balls. Was to no avail as the A's actually won this game. I believe Jack Urban was the starter for the A's. Bob Cerv, Rocco Colavito, Harry "Suitcase" Simpson, - I grew up loving them all. :)

old_geezer
03-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Man, did yoy bring back some memories. I just went to the closet and found my 1958 KC A's scorebook (yes, I did save it). Lineups:

KC A"S Red Sox

Bill Tuttle OF Matt Keough OF
Roger Maris OF Pete Runnels IF
Preston Ward IF Ted Williams OF
Bob Cerv OF Frank Malzone IF
Hector Lopez IF Jackie Jenson OF
Harry Simpson OF ? Gernert IF
Hal Smith C ? Berberet C
Joe DeMaestri IF ? Buddin IF
Jack Urban P Tom Brewer P

Arnold Johnson was team president and Harry Craft was the manager. :)

OK, I left quite a bit of space between the A's players and the Red Sox players when I typed this but they are all run together when I posted it. I even went back and edited the post to increase the spaces but nothing changed when I hit the save button.

mikey23545
03-31-2009, 06:48 AM
This thread is golden.

"Now what'd ya say thar boy? Oh the A's! Hell yeah boy I remember the A's! Pa and me'd hop in the '46 Fleetmaster and head out to the ol field. Goats would be runnin' in an out of the dugouts and we'd feed em Crackerjack til they fell over and died of sugar coma. Then we'd eat half of em right then and there and sell the rest to a butcher on the way home. We used to fight with the players if they struck out. Back then you needed to get the ball in play -- that was the name of the game. Not this razzle dazzle homerun or strikeout stuff you see in today's 'ballplayers.' Hell no boy."

Well, you may not be an 18 year old punk forever, either...

gblowfish
03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
I went to some A's games when I was little, but I remember Chiefs Games at Municipal more. I was in the Huddle Club in the end zone behind the 3rd base line. The Football field ran from the 3rd base line towards the right field wall. The "Wolfpack" was on along the left field line straight out towards center field in temporary bleachers. Wolfpack were in seats behind the visitor's sideline. That's where KC Wolf's name comes from. Right field wall behind one end zone was called "Stenerud's Roost" becuase Jan kicked several balls over the wall. This was before there were nets behind the goalposts.

A's had several players that went on to be stars in Oakland, including Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Campy Campanaris, Joe Rudi and Sal Bando. Right after they left KC they became a dynasty, which was really hard to take, especially since they moved to the same hometown with the evil Raiders. Took the Royals some time to get past the A's in the AL West, then we started battling the Yankees.

Harvey the Rabbit was an electric rabbit about 3 feet tall that would pop up out of a hatch behind home plate. He held a basket that had baseballs in it, and the ump would re-supply his baseballs that way.

Charlie Finley (who was a real A-Hole) also had goats and sheep beyond the outfield wall grazing, and a mule named Charlie O. as the teams mascot.

The A's sucked it until they left for Oakland. We were lucky to get the Royals in the 1968 expansion, and probably wouldn't have gotten a team if it weren't for Mr. Kauffman and a senator named Stuart Symington, who was very powerful in Washington DC at the time.

Now I see where the A's are threatening to leave Oakland if they don't get a new ballpark. They might move to Portland, OR. Weird.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I went to some A's games when I was little, but I remember Chiefs Games at Municipal more. I was in the Huddle Club in the end zone behind the 3rd base line. The Football field ran from the 3rd base line towards the right field wall. The "Wolfpack" was on along the left field line straight out towards center field in temporary bleachers. Wolfpack were in seats behind the visitor's sideline. That's where KC Wolf's name comes from. Right field wall behind one end zone was called "Stenerud's Roost" becuase Jan kicked several balls over the wall. This was before there were nets behind the goalposts.

A's had several players that went on to be stars in Oakland, including Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, Campy Campanaris, Joe Rudi and Sal Bando. Right after they left KC they became a dynasty, which was really hard to take, especially since they moved to the same hometown with the evil Raiders. Took the Royals some time to get past the A's in the AL West, then we started battling the Yankees.

Harvey the Rabbit was an electric rabbit about 4 feet tall that would pop up out of a hatch behind home plate. He held a basket that had baseballs in it, and the ump would re-supply his baseballs that way.

Charlie Finley (who was a real A-Hole) also had goats and sheep beyond the outfield wall grazing, and a mule named Charlie O. as the teams mascot.

The A's sucked it until they left for Oakland. We were lucky to get the Royals in the 1968 expansion, and probably wouldn't have gotten a team if it weren't for Mr. Kauffman and a senator named Stuart Symington, who was very powerful in Washington DC at the time.

Now I see where the A's are threatening to leave Oakland if they don't get a new ballpark. They might move to Portland, OR. Weird.

Vida Blue too

WilliamTheIrish
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Rick Monday and Dick Green too.

I'm glad we got the Royals, but this town was soooo close to having an unforgettable dynasty.

HemiEd
03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I remember my dad telling me about going to their games occasionally when he lived there (shortly before and after I was born in the mid-60s). Said they really sucked, but he enjoyed going to the games.
My Dad took me to an A's vs Washington Senators game, at 13, and I was bored to death. I couldn't believe it, the two worst teams in baseball, gee thanks Dad!

Luke
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
I remember The rabbit, the mule and Charlie O. The Atheltics move to Oakland was the first franchise move I remember. I never much cared for the Royals, until the early 1980's.

I always liked the big rivalry games with New York. I have hated NY ever since the 80's.

In my opinion the Royals biggest mistake was getting involved with David Glass.