PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Anybody have an active CarFax Account?

dtebbe
03-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Anyone have an active CarFax account? If so could I pain you to run a couple VIN #s? I'll make it worth your while ;)

Drop me a PM if yes

DT

kepp
05-04-2010, 09:23 AM
So I'm not sure if anyone ever answers these, but I thought I'd ask anyway. So does anyone have a Carfax acct I could use for one search? Also, the ad for the car says its a "rebuilt" title. What does that mean? The seller says, "I purchased it with the branded title and do not know the history".

Pants
05-04-2010, 09:25 AM
So I'm not sure if anyone ever answers these, but I thought I'd ask anyway. So does anyone have a Carfax acct I could use for one search? Also, the ad for the car says its a "rebuilt" title. What does that mean? The seller says, "I purchased it with the branded title and do not know the history".

I think it means it was totaled, sold by the insurance company at an auction to someone who then rebuilt the car and sold it for more. It's usually a pretty good deal.

kepp
05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I think it means it was totaled, sold by the insurance company at an auction to someone who then rebuilt the car and sold it for more. It's usually a pretty good deal.

Hmmm...its a 2006 model that blue-books for around $17000. So for it to be totaled, the damage would have to be pretty extensive, no?

kepp
05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
BTW, here's the link-
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=269725177&dealer_id=64688907&car_year=2006&rdm=1272986210842&lastStartYear=1981&model=CIVIC&num_records=25&systime=&make3=ACURA&make2=ACURA&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=25&marketZipError=false&model3=TSX&model2=3.2CL&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=64154&advanced=y&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=25&standard=false

Pants
05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Hmmm...its a 2006 model that blue-books for around $17000. So for it to be totaled, the damage would have to be pretty extensive, no?

Yeah, from what I understand, they usually are. How much cheaper is it being sold for?

kepp
05-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, from what I understand, they usually are. How much cheaper is it being sold for?

Almost half price, according to the blue book.

Pants
05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Almost half price, according to the blue book.

If it's a car you like, take it to the dealer and let their mechanics check it out. People usually do a really good job rebuilding cars and reselling them, that's how some make their living.

RedDread
05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
If it's a car you like, take it to the dealer and let their mechanics check it out. People usually do a really good job rebuilding cars and reselling them, that's how some make their living.

Other than having it checked out there are a few minor hurdles if it's a salvage title to get it registered and insured in the state you're in sometimes.

Cave Johnson
05-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Metro is spot on. I bought an Accord that had been wrecked and made the mistake of not buying locally. It had been decently repaired, with the one minor exception of a bent frame which caused it to track to the right. They're incredible deals, thought, if you can put up with nagging safety concerns. I put 50K on mine and sold it for exactly what I paid.