PDA

View Full Version : Royals Rany on Mark Teahen at 2nd

alnorth
03-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Interesting article posted tonight from Rany (http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/) on Mark Teahen and other topics.

The good:

He won the position by basically hitting the snot out of the ball ever since returning from the World Baseball Classic, to the point where it doesnít really matter if he fields the position like, well, like youíd expect Mark Teahen to play it.

I mean, heís hitting .468/.519/.979 with five homers in 47 at-bats. Make that six Ė he hit one tonight off of Rich Harden. Itís almost to the point where Matt Wieters notices him.

I didnít see this coming, but Iím as excited as anyone else to see how this is going to work out. Worst-case scenario, the Royals go back to some combination of Willie Bloomquist and Alberto Callaspo by May. Best-case scenario? I dunno, how about a left-handed Jeff Kent? I know this much: at $6 in a fantasy auction, where defense doesn't matter and he's about two weeks from qualifying at second base, Teahen is a ridiculous steal.

and the bad:

Make no mistake, though: this moves comes at a very real defensive cost, one that Iím not sure the Royals can overcome. I mean, this might be the worst defensive infield that any major league team has fielded in a long, long time. Alex Gordonís defense at third base last season had many observers wondering when the move to first base would come; Mike Avilesí defense at shortstop was as shocking as his offense, but a year ago he was a guy who was playing most second base and third base in Omaha. First base is a joke, and I mean literally:

Q: Whatís the difference between Mike Jacobs and Billy Butler?

A: One of them was the worst defensive first baseman in the major leagues last year. The other one is Billy Butler.

Hey, I didn't say it was a funny joke.

And now weíve got a converted third baseman/outfielder who will be making his professional debut at second base. Wow. I mean, wow. I know Dayton Moore gets a lot of crap for his devotion to the Bravesí Way, but you canít accuse him of being a blind follower. Pendleton-Belliard-Lemke-Bream this ainít.

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Brutal write-up. Heh.

WilliamTheIrish
03-31-2009, 02:45 AM
Brutal. But completely true.

Coach
03-31-2009, 05:58 AM
Which is why I feel that Teahen should be staying outfield and Aviles playing 2nd.

Of course, the downside of that move is that Tony SUCK Pena Jr. gets playing time, which I do not want any part of that.

Demonpenz
03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
i like the swing for more offense but man not too far.

jidar
03-31-2009, 07:27 AM
I keep praying to the baseball gods that Penas bat wakes up enough for him to play in the infield.
It could happen.... maybe... he had lasik surgery... it could be mental too right?
someone?
argh

CoMoChief
03-31-2009, 08:03 AM
Which is why I feel that Teahen should be staying outfield and Aviles playing 2nd.

Of course, the downside of that move is that Tony SUCK Pena Jr. gets playing time, which I do not want any part of that.

FAIL!!!!

CoMoChief
03-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Shoulda signed Matt Holliday

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
IMO, Teahan has proven his bat isnt much in the regular season. Not nearly enough to sacrifice the defense at 2nd.

Jethopper
03-31-2009, 09:49 AM
we should have signed Orlando Hudson...

alnorth
03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
IMO, Teahan has proven his bat isnt much in the regular season. Not nearly enough to sacrifice the defense at 2nd.

Teahen isnt some crusty old vet, though. The thing with these young players is that they tend to improve, making past stats obsolete.

We dont know if thats the case here, and if it is then he's a late bloomer. However, when you are putting up Barry Bonds numbers in Spring training, then the Royals would be idiots to not make him a starter to see if its at all for real or just a small sample size fluke.

Assuming he doesnt regress all the way down to last year's numbers, then the only question would be can he at least play a passable 2B thats only a bit below average, or does he take someone else's job away?

Demonpenz
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Pendleton-Belliard-Lemke-Bream Jeff blauser played most of the SS and he was an above average hitter and average SS

Molitoth
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Lets go Roy-als. Fart....Fart....FartFartFart.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Teahen isnt some crusty old vet, though. The thing with these young players is that they tend to improve, making past stats obsolete.

We dont know if thats the case here, and if it is then he's a late bloomer. However, when you are putting up Barry Bonds numbers in Spring training, then the Royals would be idiots to not make him a starter to see if its at all for real or just a small sample size fluke.

Assuming he doesnt regress all the way down to last year's numbers, then the only question would be can he at least play a passable 2B thats only a bit below average, or does he take someone else's job away?

He would be an incredibly late bloomer.

What is this, his 5th or 6th year starting now?

He is what he is: 15 HR, 60 RBI, 265 avg. guy.

jidar
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
He would be an incredibly late bloomer.

What is this, his 5th or 6th year starting now?

He is what he is: 15 HR, 60 RBI, 265 avg. guy.

Rany posted a blog last year that showed that Teahans production numbers when compared to other players showed a possibility of him having a breakout year this year. I can't remember the details, but the gist of the argument was that other players who played and produced the way Teahan does have had breakout years at the same point.

MIAdragon
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Just think the Royals turned down a Kevin Youkilis for Beltran trade. I bet they make that trade today......

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
They sent Hochevar to Omaha today and Ponson is going to be the fourth starter. They won't need a fifth starter for a couple weeks because they have three open dates.

Bowser
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
They're taking an awful risk that this hitting streak he's on is for real and not some mirage generated by the high desert and camp pitching. I'm not sure if I like Teahen as our starting second baseman.

They sent Hochevar to Omaha today and Ponson is going to be the fourth starter.

:spock:

Mecca
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Just think the Royals turned down a Kevin Youkilis for Beltran trade. I bet they make that trade today......

Those were some great moves back in the day, you know like drafting Hochevar instead of Lincecum, we are brilliant.

Sam Hall
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
They can get an extra year out of Hochevar by sending him to Omaha until May 5. They won't need a fifth starter until April 25. They probably think Ponson gives them a better chance to win.

I'd be upset if Gload and Pena are on the opening day roster.

Bowser
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Pena is like a bad case of herpes. He just won't go away.

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
The Hochevar draft still bugs me because of the transitional period in which it took place.

Fucking #1 overall pick can't even stay with the club. Fuck. Not even in front of Sidney Ponson, no less. Double fuck.

Lincecum is the pick in hindsight, but Andrew Miller was the no brainer on draft day. Oh well...

Mecca
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
The Hochevar draft still bugs me because of the transitional period in which it took place.

Fucking #1 overall pick can't even stay with the club. Fuck. Not even in front of Sidney Ponson, no less. Double fuck.

Lincecum is the pick in hindsight, but Andrew Miller was the no brainer on draft day. Oh well...

This team just will never get that shit right, we take the no brainer Alex Gordon and it blows up in our faces.

Jenson71
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Today Ponson is pitching. We'll see how it goes.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
They probably think Ponson gives them a better chance to win.

Yes, that sparkling 6 or 7 ERA will definately help out.

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
This team just will never get that shit right, we take the no brainer Alex Gordon and it blows up in our faces.

You're right that we need a little bit of good fortune.

beavis
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think there is anyway Teahen starts at second. If he does, that experiment will be over within two weeks.

DeezNutz
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think there is anyway Teahen starts at second. If he does, that experiment will be over within two weeks.

I think it's almost a done deal that he'll be starting the season there. You might be correct about how long it will last, though.