PDA

View Full Version : Local Sebelius forgot to pay her taxes too

banyon
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Can't these people do a f*cking audit before they name people? WTF?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/sebelius-corrects-tax-errors/

March 31, 2009, 7:00 pm
Sebelius Pays Back Taxes
By Robert Pear
Gov. Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas, President Obama’s nominee for secretary of health and human services, said Tuesday that she and her husband had paid $7,040 in back taxes and $878 in interest after discovering “unintentional errors” in their tax returns for 2005-7.

Ms. Sebelius said she had erroneously taken tax deductions for certain mortgage interest and several charitable contributions. In a letter to the Senate Finance Committee, Ms. Sebelius said: “In July of 2006, my husband and I sold our home for an amount less than the outstanding balance on our mortgage. We continued paying off the loan, including interest we mistakenly believed continued to be deductible.”

Ms. Sebelius said she had been unable to locate records needed to document three of the 49 charitable contributions she and her husband, Gary Sebelius, had made. She is the latest of several Obama nominees to acknowledge underpaying taxes. Mr. Obama’s first choice for health secretary, Tom Daschle, withdrew after paying $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest, arising in part from the use of a luxury car and driver.

Reaper16
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM
LMAO. Heh.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
What about fines, bitches? The IRS tried to charge me fines for a business partner who didn't file HIS taxes, but she's getting off without paying them? Fuck these people.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
I'll resist the urge to try to take a shot at an easy political target, but I will say that this entire mess just goes to show what a joke our tax code is. If wealthy politicians at the highest levels of government can't make heads or tails of it, how can any of us be expected to?

Calcountry
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
The proletariat is exempt.

Calcountry
03-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll resist the urge to try to take a shot at an easy political target, but I will say that this entire mess just goes to show what a joke our tax code is. If wealthy politicians at the highest levels of government can't make heads or tails of it, how can any of us be expected to?Niel Bortz and Steve Forbes have had answers to this shit for years.

Direckshun
03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
I read that earlier today. My reaction is ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

They say that she's payed off her backtaxes, because after she was nominated, some folks vetted her and they found the backtaxes.

That's right. They vetted her AFTER they nominated her.

You've just got to be kidding me. That is some bush league shit.

Calcountry
03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I read that earlier today. My reaction is ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

They say that she's payed off her backtaxes, because after she was nominated, some folks vetted her and they found the backtaxes.

That's right. They vetted her AFTER they nominated her.

You've just got to be kidding me. That is some bush league shit.Well, you elected a bush league president. Change? :shrug:

wild1
03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Can't obama find anyone who has paid their taxes?

I guess he's collected hundreds of thousands in back taxes and he hasn't even filled half the jobs yet! Kudos to him!

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Niel Bortz and Steve Forbes have had answers to this shit for years.

Obam's Razor: The simplest solution is usually rejected out of hand.

Direckshun
03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, you elected a bush league president.

I disagree.

Saul Good
03-31-2009, 07:08 PM

I guess he's collected hundreds of thousands in back taxes and he hasn't even filled half the jobs yet! Kudos to him!

Maybe Obama should nominate the entire country to his cabinet. That would be a fantastic way to collect trillions in unpaid taxes, interest, and penalties. He could balance the budget in no time.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 08:49 PM

It's starting to look like he can't find a legal taxpayer AND a leftist in the same person.

petegz28
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
It's starting to look like he can't find a legal taxpayer AND a leftist in the same person.

Amazing how she got off for only $842 in interest whe the standard rate the IRS charges I believe is 18%.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Amazing how she got off for only $842 in interest whe the standard rate the IRS charges I believe is 18%.

It would be funny if I hadn't spent way more than that with my tax accountant trying to prove to the IRS that I *didn't* owe them for someone else's taxes less than two years ago.

Their entire claim was "we can't find the guy and you were in business together." Whoppidee freaking doo. One of their fine agents even suggested that if I could find him and make him pay his taxes the problem would go away. Like it's *my* damned problem to help them chase down people who aren't filing and paying their taxes.

petegz28
03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
It would be funny if I hadn't spent way more than that with my tax accountant trying to prove to the IRS that I *didn't* owe them for someone else's taxes less than two years ago.

Their entire claim was "we can't find the guy and you were in business together." Whoppidee freaking doo. One of their fine agents even suggested that if I could find him and make him pay his taxes the problem would go away. Like it's *my* damned problem to help them chase down people who aren't filing and paying their taxes.

That ain't no shit.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Speaking of, what ever happened with that bitch's adult son who was running his board game business out of a state owned house using state owned equipment? That story just died.

wild1
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
You think I would have gotten off without interest and penalties like Sebljevich did?

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
You think I would have gotten off without interest and penalties like Sebljevich did?

Are you a member of the ruling class?

stevieray
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
we're so outraged not a damn thing will be done about it...other than a weak ass fine.

wild1
03-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Are you a member of the ruling class?

Unfortunately not. Residing in a blue state the ruling class is appointed for life so there is little upward mobility.

SBK
03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
There's got to be something to the notion that lefties don't pay their taxes, which is why they don't care about raising them.

Seriously, how many nominees is this now?

petegz28
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
There's got to be something to the notion that lefties don't pay their taxes, which is why they don't care about raising them.

Seriously, how many nominees is this now?

6 or 7 at elast.

Mr. Kotter
03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
LMAO

Not surprised....in the least.

:shake:

Direckshun
04-01-2009, 01:20 AM
I have the total of six.

I think only a couple of them are serious by Washington standards. Daschle was shot down and Geithner somehow prevailed. Everybody else genuinely seemed like legit difficulty with taxes, except I don't know much about Sebelius at this point.

All I know is that it will be incredibly hard to promote universal healthcare without a HHS Secretary. I think they'll try to hammer her through.

Honestly, they should have gone with Howard Dean.

Guru
04-01-2009, 06:12 AM

I guess he's collected hundreds of thousands in back taxes and he hasn't even filled half the jobs yet! Kudos to him!I pay my taxes on time every single year. It comes out of my paycheck. I even fill out my tax forms correctly every single year to prove that my taxes are 100% accurate according to the tax laws currently in place.

Funny how simple folk can take care of their taxes just fine but these rich politicians have no clue how to do it.:shake:

Guru
04-01-2009, 06:13 AM
I have the total of six.

I think only a couple of them are serious by Washington standards. Daschle was shot down and Geithner somehow prevailed. Everybody else genuinely seemed like legit difficulty with taxes, except I don't know much about Sebelius at this point.

All I know is that it will be incredibly hard to promote universal healthcare without a HHS Secretary. I think they'll try to hammer her through.

Honestly, they should have gone with Howard Dean.They were idiots to take this fool of a Governor out of Kansas. I'm glad she is gone but, at the same time, I can't stand the idea of her doing things on a national level either.

Simplex3
04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
They were idiots to take this fool of a Governor out of Kansas. I'm glad she is gone but, at the same time, I can't stand the idea of her doing things on a national level either.

I've resigned myself that the federal government is so completely out of control that nothing short of a violent revolution will ever get it under control. I'm confident that it will require splitting the nation apart because so many Americans have lost their will to control their own lives. So, right now I'm going to focus more locally.

HC_Chief
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
She's a politician; they don't have to actually follow the laws they write! duh.

blaise
04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Obama has an answer for this. He already told his people to book him on Letterman and then get him back on the cover of People magazine.

whatsmynameagain
04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
im sure a good % of our elected leaders have this problem. before they take office they should immediately be audited. i owed the irs 1800 when i was 16 and they came into my bank account 3 years later to get it, no questions and with fees too.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
04-01-2009, 09:01 AM
im sure a good % of our elected leaders have this problem. before they take office they should immediately be audited. i owed the irs 1800 when i was 16 and they came into my bank account 3 years later to get it, no questions and with fees too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Except she was the governor of a state and not a 16 year old kid.

Chief Henry
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
:rolleyes: This should not surprise anyone.

whatsmynameagain
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Except she was the governor of a state and not a 16 year old kid.

exactly, youd think the irs has bigger fish to fry.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Fat Elvis
04-01-2009, 05:22 PM
If you think her back taxes might undo her confirmation, you should see her involvement with a case of potential medicaid fraud. It is being kept pretty much under wraps in KS because the 'pubs want her gone and the dems don't want to tarnish her reputation.

KHPA has called for an independent audit of the situation.

http://www.khi.org/s/index.cfm?aid=1982

Saul Good
04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Obama has an answer for this. He already told his people to book him on Letterman and then get him back on the cover of People magazine.

I'd like to see that happen. I've always wondered what he looked like. I know he's always holed up in his office doing the people's business, but it would be nice if he would take just a few minutes to self-promote.

Guru
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I've resigned myself that the federal government is so completely out of control that nothing short of a violent revolution will ever get it under control. I'm confident that it will require splitting the nation apart because so many Americans have lost their will to control their own lives. So, right now I'm going to focus more locally.Yeah, I am trying to focus more on our local leaders as well. It doesn't look much better though.:shake: