PDA

View Full Version : Religion The 18 Kids and Counting show on TLC

SNR
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
I just watched this for the first time tonight.

I might be alone in this, but I think one of the many reasons due to their extreme religious beliefs why they have so many damn fucking kids is that they want to populate the world with people of their belief. They want more families like them in the country so they have more wacko kids who want to have just as many wacko kids who are as wacko as their parents and grandparents.

Obviously there's also the whole "sex for pleasure is a sin" thing which is probable in their case. But really... most Catholic families are able to keep their family size under 8 kids. Ten kids is a ridiculous amount for a Catholic family. But EIGHTEEN?

There has to be more that would compel people to have a family that large, and that's why I believe the reason in my 2nd paragraph. You're not having 18 kids because half of them die, or because you like the labor pains, or even because you're just that clumsy. You're having 18 kids because you want more people in the world just like you, and this is a way to change it.

That's stupid. It's messed up. I don't like it.

Simplex3
03-31-2009, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't care if there weren't social programs propping people like this up with my money.

SNR
03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't care if there weren't social programs propping people like this up with my money.They seem to be doing just fine financially on the show. And not all that can come from the money they make doing the show. The father must have some big fancy job that pays for all the stuff they own.

Katipan
04-01-2009, 09:50 AM
There has to be more that would compel people to have a family that large, and that's why I believe the reason in my 2nd paragraph. You're not having 18 kids because half of them die, or because you like the labor pains, or even because you're just that clumsy. You're having 18 kids because you want more people in the world just like you, and this is a way to change it.

Who didn't read Cheaper by the Dozen growing up? And not that weird bastardized version of a movie that just came out.

Those children are ridiculously loving, talented, focused, helpful, cooperative, giving... They have a slutty cousin that they treat with zero judgement. They genuinely live in a bubble of sunshine happiness.

Which creeps me the heck out, but I guess I'll take those kids over the opposite.

NewChief
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
They seem to be doing just fine financially on the show. And not all that can come from the money they make doing the show. The father must have some big fancy job that pays for all the stuff they own.

The Duggar's are part of a conservative, back-to-earth, homeschooling movement around here. They pride themselves on not taking handouts from the government, but I do imagine that they get quite a lot of support from their church.

Simplex3
04-01-2009, 10:12 AM
The Duggar's are part of a conservative, back-to-earth, homeschooling movement around here. They pride themselves on not taking handouts from the government, but I do imagine that they get quite a lot of support from their church.

Wait, I'm pretty sure I read on here that churches can't be counted on to help people and that only the government can do that.

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I've seen this show. STOP FUCKING ALREADY!

Katipan
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
You should go to your family for help. Then your church, community, friends, and finally the government.

Cannibal
04-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I have zero problem with that family having all those children because they have means to take care of them all. I am not a fan of their religion, or any religion for that matter, but they have the right and I am not going to complain or try to take that away from them.

However, I really do think the wife has to have a screw loose somewhere in her head to be satisified being pregnant every year for the last 20 years. Her snatch lips must be dragging the floor by now.

MagicHef
04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
They own a bunch of commercial properties that they rent out. Apparently they've never been in debt, never even had a credit card or anything.

Simplex3
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't care if there weren't social programs propping people like this up with my money.

If these parents are carrying their own weight and they want to give birth to an entire division one collegiate football program then more power to them.

Duck Dog
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
What's wrong with populating the country with children who most likely will not end up on welfare and food stamps? I've seen the show and they said they earn their money with commercial real estate investments.

Brock
04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't like it because there is already too damn many people everywhere.

Jilly
04-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I have zero problem with that family having all those children because they have means to take care of them all. I am not a fan of their religion, or any religion for that matter, but they have the right and I am not going to complain or try to take that away from them.

However, I really do think the wife has to have a screw loose somewhere in her head to be satisified being pregnant every year for the last 20 years. Her snatch lips must be dragging the floor by now.

Do they take care of them all though?

I have one child, I work full time, and yet I still do not feel like I give her all the attention and love she needs and deserves. I love her immensely, play with her constantly, but leave her alone for even a few hours with someone else and I am wrecked. How can a mom or dad give 18 children this same kind of love? I can imagine even in trying that each one of those children will feel some form of neglect over the years.

MagicHef
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM

I have one child, I work full time, and yet I still do not feel like I give her all the attention and love she needs and deserves. I love her immensely, play with her constantly, but leave her alone for even a few hours with someone else and I am wrecked. How can a mom or dad give 18 children this same kind of love? I can imagine even in trying that each one of those children will feel some form of neglect over the years.

Have you seen the show?

Jilly
04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Have you seen the show?

No, because I just think it's so icky that someone could have sex 18 times in their lifetime. ;)

MagicHef
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
No, because I just think it's so icky that someone could have sex 18 times in their lifetime. ;)

I think a couple of the kids are twins, so not quite as icky.

Jilly
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I think a couple of the kids are twins, so not quite as icky.

Even so...I draw the line at having sex at 4 times in a lifetime, anything after that is just sick.

Katipan
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I think whatever they lose out on with one-on-one mommy/daddy time gets made up with an avalanche of sibling and group time.

They are taught from a young age that it takes a village. Other than the first few kids, they've never known another life.

Jilly
04-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I think whatever they lose out on with one-on-one mommy/daddy time gets made up with an avalanche of sibling and group time.

They are taught from a young age that it takes a village. Other than the first few kids, they've never known another life.

Not sure it's the same, but I'll go with that because I"m too lazy to think today.

Jenson71
04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

It's probably not the same love. When the Catholic families who lived in the midwest in earlier days had kids, it worked out for everyone. The kids grew up strong, responsible, and had an entire family that loved them, and they realized they weren't the most important thing in the world. And the parents also had free labor to help on the farm.

Amnorix
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Those children are ridiculously loving, talented, focused, helpful, cooperative, giving... They have a slutty cousin that they treat with zero judgement. They genuinely live in a bubble of sunshine happiness.

Which creeps me the heck out, but I guess I'll take those kids over the opposite.

Ditto. While the parents are obviously weird and super religious and stuff, they seem to be doing a good job raising well adjusted people, so whatever.

NewChief
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't like it because there is already too damn many people everywhere.

This.

NewChief
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Wait, I'm pretty sure I read on here that churches can't be counted on to help people and that only the government can do that.

And by the church "helping" them, what I mean is that I'm pretty sure they have some pretty lucrative seminar and speaking engagements in the evangelical church circuit. I don't think they just get handouts and charity from their church, but work as, basically, professional evangelists. I think that mission probably started before the show and the producers of the show found out about them because they're fairly famous among certain fundamentalist communities.

SLAG
04-03-2009, 03:11 AM
I think the Duggars are Great, They live a excellent Christan Example. [btw the Dad was a Senator or Representative of some sort] - I suppose that most "Pro-Choice" persons disagree with their Choice to have 18 or more Kids - Im not sure why, if that is their Choice. Jenson hit the Nail on the head with his comment

We are Expecting Heavenly Blessing #4 Due in Nov. , we Homeschool, and our children listen to songs such as this:
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,115,0" width="425" height="319" id="qikPlayer" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://qik.com/swfs/qikPlayer4.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><param name="FlashVars" value="rssURL=http://qik.com/video/486060fb9ae549ff96c06f6d4aa3eb72.rss&autoPlay=false"><embed src="http://qik.com/swfs/qikPlayer4.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#333333" width="425" height="319" name="qikPlayer" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="rssURL=http://qik.com/video/486060fb9ae549ff96c06f6d4aa3eb72.rss&autoPlay=false"/></object>

we are trying to grow a loving supportive family, and we are open to however many Children God Blesses us with, we will do nothing to interfere with Gods Plan for us

TrickyNicky
04-03-2009, 05:30 AM
At first, I thought they were circus freaks (come see the amazing perpetually-pregnant woman!), like most people do at first glance, but after watching the show their kids are actually bright, well behaved, and respectful. I have no problem with them.

BucEyedPea
04-03-2009, 06:24 AM
I just watched this for the first time tonight.

I might be alone in this, but I think one of the many reasons due to their extreme religious beliefs why they have so many damn ****ing kids is that they want to populate the world with people of their belief. They want more families like them in the country so they have more wacko kids who want to have just as many wacko kids who are as wacko as their parents and grandparents.

Obviously there's also the whole "sex for pleasure is a sin" thing which is probable in their case. But really... most Catholic families are able to keep their family size under 8 kids. Ten kids is a ridiculous amount for a Catholic family. But EIGHTEEN?

"Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth..."(Genesis 1: 27-28)

They're following the word of God.