PDA

View Full Version : Football Broncos put their foot in it - Cutler was having his car shipped to Denver

Hammock Parties
04-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh what a tangled web we weave! LMAO

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12040620

Bowlen: Cutler good as gone
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Pat Bowlen is fed up.

And as Broncoland has come to understand during this tumultuous offseason, when Pat Bowlen has had it, people pay with their jobs. The most important of people.

Jay Cutler, the Broncos' star quarterback, is all but gone. Frustrated at what he perceives as Cutler's unwillingness to communicate, Bowlen announced Tuesday that he has given his front office permission to begin the process of working on trading Cutler.

"Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by head coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful," Bowlen said in a statement. "A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the

Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded."

This is no April Fool's joke. Bowlen was referring to a conversation Tuesday morning between Bus Cook, Cutler's agent, and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders. According to a source close to Cutler, Xanders told Cook he had better get in touch with his client because Bowlen wanted to speak to his quarterback. By Tuesday evening, Bowlen had reached his breaking point.

Thus, Bowlen, in the 25th anniversary of owning the club, has dismissed iconic head coach Mike Shanahan and is about to dump his franchise quarterback in the same offseason. Shanahan, who had been the Broncos' coach the previous 14 seasons, was fired Dec. 30 and replaced 12 days later by McDaniels.

Here's a twist — while Bowlen was declaring the end of the Cutler era, Shanahan sank a hole-in-one, according to his former attorney Harvey Steinberg. Shanahan got his first hole-in-one soon after getting fired by the Oakland Raiders in 1989.

Cutler had heard about Bowlen's statement Tuesday but said by text message, "I'm not talking about it."

A source close to Cutler said the quarterback was surprised by Bowlen's declaration. In recent days, Cutler had packed up his car in Nashville and had it shipped to Denver, where he intended to show up for the team's first minicamp April 17-19.

The source added that Cutler said he has not received phone calls from the Broncos since he received a text from McDaniels a week ago Tuesday. Whatever the interpretation, Bowlen decided to exercise his ownership powers and end all confusion. He's the boss, and he says the team will trade Cutler.

The Washington Redskins are among the leading candidates to pull off a deal for Cutler. The Redskins have a proven young quarterback in Jason Campbell and would meet the Broncos' preference of dealing Cutler outside their American Football Conference. The Redskins also have the No. 13 selection in this year's draft on April 25, one spot behind the Broncos.

The New York Jets also have been aggressive in their pursuit of Cutler. The Jets, who have extra picks in the third and fourth rounds, are better stocked for the upcoming draft than the Redskins, who don't have picks in the second and fourth round.

Four other National Football Conference teams — Tampa Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit — have previously expressed interest in Cutler.

Suddenly, a situation that was both unthinkable and inevitable is about to occur. Unthinkable because Cutler is only 25 years old and was voted to the Pro Bowl during only his second full season as a starter. A young, franchise quarterback is considered the rarest of commodities, to the point of almost becoming untouchable for trade.

Almost. For as the trading period opened late on Feb. 26, McDaniels discussed a proposed three-team deal that would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay and former New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver.

The deal never materialized, and McDaniels said discussions never got serious. But Cutler was disappointed upon learning his coach had thought about dealing him. More significantly, Cutler came to distrust McDaniels to the point that two subsequent clear-the-air conversations between the two only intensified the young quarterback's displeasure.

On March 15, a day after Cutler and Cook met personally with McDaniels and Xanders and a day before the Broncos began their offseason conditioning program, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The stormy relationship seemed to calm a week ago Tuesday. McDaniels repeatedly reiterated to a large media gathering at the NFL owners meetings in Dana Point, Calif., that he wasn't going to trade Cutler. They would work it out. He's the Broncos' quarterback.

After that press gathering, Cutler, who has been staying in Nashville through most of the offseason, told The Denver Post he and McDaniels were going to talk that night. The two exchanged text messages, but both sides agree a conversation never took place.

McDaniels had said last Tuesday that he had received messages from other teams inquiring about Cutler, but the team wasn't responding. It appeared then that the team would wait until its first minicamp before reaching its breaking point with Cutler.

kc rush
04-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Good. Keep the drama going.

Moobs
04-01-2009, 12:33 AM
He had planned to attend mandatories anyways, had he not?

Chieftain58
04-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Good... I can't think that something good might turn out of this for the donks.... Cutler prob.. going to Lions .. then Denver gets Stafford..or Sanchez.. fug...

T-post Tom
04-01-2009, 03:27 AM
It's the "Curse of Shanar@t." Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of a-holes. May the donks continue in their downward spiral of ineptitude.:D

T-post Tom
04-01-2009, 03:41 AM
The Chiefs will have less leverage in trading out of the 3rd if Stafford is off the board.

Hootie
04-01-2009, 04:43 AM
He's not on the Broncos depth chart anymore LMAO

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134

Crush
04-01-2009, 04:50 AM
I love it. I am addicted to Donkey tears.

kstater
04-01-2009, 05:04 AM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134

Holy Shit. LMAO

Coach
04-01-2009, 05:05 AM
There's alot of risk being involved with J. Cutler. But then, there is a high reward.

CrazyHorse
04-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Shipping your car to Denver seems an awful big gesture when you cant even pick up a phone.

If the guy cant return a phone call, how can you believe he goes through the trouble to ship his car to Denver? He's just blowing smoke up the ass of anyone bent over to receieve anything he says.

To act as though the team is not trying to cantact him is ridiculous. There has been enough contact through the media to communicate they are trying to get ahold of him. If I turn on a TV, read a paper, fire up the computer, talk to a team mate, read a bill board, stand in line at the grocery store and all I have seen or heard is that the team is trying to contact me to fix the relationship but cant get a call returned then guess what? I pick up a phone and ask.......yeah, are you trying to get ahold of me? I dont totally ignore it and ship my car to Denver.

What a bunch of bullshit. You have to be pretty dumb to buy it.

Crush
04-01-2009, 05:18 AM
Here are some gems from the Mange.

So my Aunt just called from Denver. My 8 yr old cousin is crushed by this. Of course Cutler his favorite player and he just got a Cutler jersey from me at end of last yr. He's crying and carrying on like 8 yr olds do but what can you really say?

This is the most pissed off I have been at a Broncos player that I can remember. Mcdaniels better coach his ass off or he will get eaten alive.

I know it would be tough to make a trade between division foes. But with Pioli and McDaniels being the principal negotiators, there would likely be a strong desire for each man to one-up the other and try to prove who is smarter. So if a trade for Cassel is not completely off limits, here's my proposal:

Jay Cutler for Matt Cassel and the 3rd overall pick.

Denver gets the perfect QB to run Josh's scheme, and in all likelihood the best player in the draft and an ideal 3-4 SAM in Aaron Curry.

KC gives up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Jay Cutler and Mike Vrabel. Sounds like a great deal, right?

Both teams come out ahead here. Both team gets the opportunity to show that they're smarter than the other. A heated rivalry becomes one of the most furious in sports. What's not to love?

LMAO

J Diddy
04-01-2009, 05:24 AM
Here are some gems from the Mange.

LMAO
if kc were to trade cassell and the 3rd overall pick in the draft for cutler I would never, never, never root for them again, ever.

Mile High Mania
04-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Our fearless leader.

InChiefsHeaven
04-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by chickennob2
I know it would be tough to make a trade between division foes. But with Pioli and McDaniels being the principal negotiators, there would likely be a strong desire for each man to one-up the other and try to prove who is smarter. So if a trade for Cassel is not completely off limits, here's my proposal:

Denver gets the perfect QB to run Josh's scheme, and in all likelihood the best player in the draft and an ideal 3-4 SAM in Aaron Curry.

KC gives up a 1st and 2nd round pick for Jay Cutler and Mike Vrabel. Sounds like a great deal, right?

Both teams come out ahead here. Both team gets the opportunity to show that they're smarter than the other. A heated rivalry becomes one of the most furious in sports. What's not to love?

Holy poopsticks Batman...this person should consider suicidal options, no way in hell can he survive in the real world with that kind of brainpower...

wild1
04-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Cutler for Cassel and the third overall? hahahahhahhahaahaha

I wouldn't even trade the pick for him, let alone both

Kerberos
04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Here are some gems from the Mange.Originally Posted by chickennob2

LMAO

I remember when I had my first beer.

Then again maybe we can get him to send of some of the killer weed he is smokin?

Dartgod
04-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Isn't this delicious?

PRIEST
04-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Cutler for Cassel and the third overall? hahahahhahhahaahaha

I wouldn't even trade the pick for him, let alone both

Exactly Cutler should have never made the PB ,should have been Rivers .

I still say no way do the lions give up the #1 pick in the draft for Jeff George

soundmind
04-01-2009, 06:38 AM

:bong: They have a completely different level of ganja in the mountain country. :Peace:

Bwana
04-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Fantastic! ROFL

teedubya
04-01-2009, 07:31 AM
schadenfreude

wutamess
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
There's no way I wouldn't give a 1st rounder to the donkey's for Cutler if I'm Minnesota. That's a Superbowl team in the making if they have a franchise QB.

Great QB, RB & Defense.
Next give him some WR's and they're SB bound.

Reaper16
04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
schadenfreude
You might be ruining for me what used to be one of my favorite words.

oldandslow
04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
There's no way I wouldn't give a 1st rounder to the donkey's for Cutler if I'm Minnesota. That's a Superbowl team in the making if they have a franchise QB.

Great QB, RB & Defense.

This.

DaFace
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm somewhat amused at how much communication seems to take place between coaches and players via text. You'd think that, with an issue as sensitive as this, "Sry for tryng to trade u. Don't b mad. K thx bai." wouldn't cut it.

CoMoChief
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Still lives in his college town? Ehhh Nashville kicks ass. Guess I dont blame him.

Chief Henry
04-01-2009, 08:25 AM
The team I hate the MOST in all of Professional Sports is the Denver Donkeye Dicks and this Jay Cutler winefest has me just rolling on the floor.

The only good thing about Denver is the baseball team.

CoMoChief
04-01-2009, 08:33 AM
The team I hate the MOST in all of Professional Sports is the Denver Donkeye Dicks and this Jay Cutler winefest has me just rolling on the floor.

The only good thing about Denver is the baseball team.

Actually the city itself is a pretty nice city. Too bad their fans are dipshits though.

TEX
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Shipping your car to Denver seems an awful big gesture when you cant even pick up a phone.

If the guy cant return a phone call, how can you believe he goes through the trouble to ship his car to Denver? He's just blowing smoke up the ass of anyone bent over to receieve anything he says.

To act as though the team is not trying to cantact him is ridiculous. There has been enough contact through the media to communicate they are trying to get ahold of him. If I turn on a TV, read a paper, fire up the computer, talk to a team mate, read a bill board, stand in line at the grocery store and all I have seen or heard is that the team is trying to contact me to fix the relationship but cant get a call returned then guess what? I pick up a phone and ask.......yeah, are you trying to get ahold of me? I dont totally ignore it and ship my car to Denver.

This.

Mr. Krab
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM
hehe

BigMeatballDave
04-01-2009, 09:23 AM

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=134Still listed on the roster, though.

RJ
04-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Cutler is apparently unfamiliar with Hertz and Avis.

RJ
04-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Still lives in his college town? Ehhh Nashville kicks ass. Guess I dont blame him.

The Titans could use a new QB.

htismaqe
04-01-2009, 09:50 AM

I agree.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Isn't this delicious?

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1225/cartman.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cartman.jpg)

MTG#10
04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1225/cartman.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cartman.jpg)

Greatest. Episode. Ever.

Jethopper
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Scott Tenorman!

Bill Lundberg
04-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Great QB, RB & Defense.

They have the receivers in Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice and Bobby Wade. They've just not had anyone who could get the ball to them.