PDA

View Full Version : Obama Please Tell Me This Report is Wrong

KC Dan
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Please tell me that Obama did NOT give the Queen of England an iPod. Please, please..He can't be that f'n stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_eu/g20_obama_queen

phisherman
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah, i heard the she wanted a Zune.

oh, the injustice.

Garcia Bronco
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Please tell me that Obama did NOT give the Queen of England an iPod. Please, please..He can't be that f'n stupid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_re_eu/g20_obama_queen

On their last visit he gave them, Britain, 25 DVDs. And blew them off to hang out with some hollywood types.

KC Dan
04-01-2009, 02:08 PM
yeah, i heard the she wanted a Zune.

oh, the injustice.
Gifts between heads of state should be a bit more extravagant and meaningful, don't you think? She could send a boy around the corner to an electronics store if she wanted an iPod.

alpha_omega
04-01-2009, 02:10 PM
I heard she already had one.

Seriously though...wouldn't it be difficult to buy a gift for the Queen of England. What could you possibly get that she doesn't already have?

HC_Chief
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Gifts between heads of state should be a bit more extravagant and meaningful, don't you think? She could send a boy around the corner to an electronics store if she wanted an iPod.

She gave them a painting.... of her.

KC Dan
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
history there, she has ALWAYS given heads of state that gift.

KC Dan
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I heard she already had one.

Seriously though...wouldn't it be difficult to buy a gift for the Queen of England. What could you possibly get that she doesn't already have?
How about an ACORN t-shirt?

headsnap
04-01-2009, 02:14 PM
On their last visit he gave them, Britain, 25 DVDs.
And the DVDs were NTSC...

dirk digler
04-01-2009, 02:15 PM

That is what they always give to all the dignitaries they meet. Very unpersonable.

And it is not a painting it is a photo

Meanwhile, the Obamas got the customary silver framed photograph of, er, the Queen and her husband.

Stinger
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
On their last visit he gave them, Britain, 25 DVDs. And blew them off to hang out with some hollywood types.

The DVD were the wrong region as well. They could only be played on a US machine and not a European. LMAO LMAO LMAO

Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.

The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen. Although he mournfully had to put the popcorn away, he is unlikely to jeopardise the special relationship – or "special partnership", as we are now supposed to call it – by registering a complaint.

A Downing Street spokesman said he was "confident" that any gift Obama gave Brown would have been "well thought through," but referred me to the White House for assistance on the "technical aspects".

A White House spokesman s****ered when I put the story to him and he was still looking into the matter when my deadline came last night.

By the way, when Obama's unlikely gift was disclosed, a reader emailed me to ask if Clueless was among the films. Funnily enough, it was not.

Brown, on the other hand, presented a rather more thoughtful gift to the American President in the form of a penholder carved from the timbers of an anti-slavery ship. The sister ship, in fact, of the one that was broken up and turned into the desk in the Oval Office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/5011941/Gordon-Brown-is-frustrated-by-Psycho-in-No-10.html

memyselfI
04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Give him a break. For once he planned ahead and got it right. It's almost graduation season and those puppies will be hard to find.

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

memyselfI
04-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Her freakin nephews probably having them laying around in every room of the palace. LMAOLMAOLMAO

stevieray
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM
An ipod/ there's a gift with some serious sentimental value.

Katipan
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
It's loaded with all sorts of subliminal messages.

It's genious.

orange
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
An ipod/ there's a gift with some serious sentimental value.

During their private meeting, President Obama and first lady gave the queen a personalized iPod with video footage of her 2007 visit to Washington and Virginia. She was also given a rare songbook signed by composer Richard Rodgers.

You guys are really getting pathetic.

phisherman
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM

did you conveniently forget to mention the other gift that was referenced in the article?

"She was also given a rare songbook signed by composer Richard Rodgers."

stevieray
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
During their private meeting, President Obama and first lady gave the queen a personalized iPod with video footage of her 2007 visit to Washington and Virginia. She was also given a rare songbook signed by composer Richard Rodgers.

that's a great gift, the ipod is weak.

KC Dan
04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
did you conveniently forget to mention the other gift that was referenced in the article?

"She was also given a rare songbook signed by composer Richard Rodgers."
Nope, that gift is fine and very appropriate. The iPod is just plain stupid. Why not an American made toaster. She should have had a great-nephew or niece come into the room and give the iPod to them in front of Obama.

orange
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Nope, that gift is fine and very appropriate. The iPod is just plain stupid. Why not an American made toaster. She should have had a great-nephew or niece come into the room and give the iPod to them in front of Obama.

Queen Elizabeth II buys an iPod
by Dave Caolo on Jun 17th 2005

Seriously. Australian news outlet Fairfax Digital (free subscription required) reports that Britian's Queen Elizabeth II has purchased an iPod. A six gigabyte silver iPod Mini, to be exact. Fairfax Digital goes on to say, "...Prince Andrew, fourth in line to the throne, was reported to be behind the move.." So how does a royal get her digital music from her computer to her iPod? Again, from the article: "Obviously it is quite complicated to download songs, but I'm sure one of the courtiers will do it for her." Yeah, that's how I do it, too.

phisherman
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
maybe they should've just given her a VHS tape of her visit that was on the iPod instead?

orange
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has awarded a knighthood to the designer of Apple Computer's iPod.

Jonathan Ive has been made a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, an award that was created in 1917 to honor non-combatants in World War I and has since been given to those who have advanced British interests worldwide.

A senior vice president of design at Apple, the London-born Ive was included in the queen's New Year's honors list Tuesday. The 38-year-old has been living in Silicon Valley since he joined Apple in 1992.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/queen-elizabeth.jpg

Captain Obvious
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Impeach him. I am outraged!!! Outraged I tell ya!!! These gifts to foreign dignitaries are not the change we were promised. The horror....

Sportsshrink, please post a WND article so I will know how to further react to this most important subject.

BucEyedPea
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, I hear she's hard to shop for. People who have everything usually are. It's an American gift.

BucEyedPea
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has awarded a knighthood to the designer of Apple Computer's iPod.

Jonathan Ive has been made a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, an award that was created in 1917 to honor non-combatants in World War I and has since been given to those who have advanced British interests worldwide.

A senior vice president of design at Apple, the London-born Ive was included in the queen's New Year's honors list Tuesday. The 38-year-old has been living in Silicon Valley since he joined Apple in 1992.

Copyright 2006 by United Press International

http://www.ilounge.com/images/uploads/queen-elizabeth.jpg
What a GREAT graphic.

beer bacon
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
This is what he gave her you bunch of dumbasses:

(AP) - The geek-in-chief didn’t miss a chance to give technology to new friends.
President Barack Obama gave Queen Elizabeth II an engraved iPod during his visit to Buckingham Palace. The portable music device came with headphones and already loaded with songs. He and first lady Michelle Obama also gave the queen a rare book of songs signed by “The King and I” composer Richard Rodgers.

SBK
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM

You speak well considering you have a mouthful of Presidential jizz.

patteeu
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
At least the stuff he had pre-loaded was in the right language even if it was just a coincidence.

Direckshun
04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
What a phenomenally awful gift.

But what DO you give the Queen of England?

patteeu
04-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Obama sure knows how to win friends and influence people. Here's what his Whitehouse is telling reporters about some of our allies.

“Slightly smaller than Oregon”: a White House briefing on Britain (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/blog/2009/03/31/slightly_smaller_than_oregon_a_white_house_briefing_on_britain)

Posted By: Toby Harnden at Mar 31, 2009 at 12:18:00

So here's what the White House is telling American reporters - and by extension the American people - about Britain. It's laid out in an inch-thick "press kit", with the Seal of the President of the United States emblazoned on the cover, handed out to each of us on board the White House press charter en route from Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington to Stansted.

The United Kingdom, we are told, is "slightly smaller than Oregon". As for the the British climate, it is "generally mild and temperate" and "subject to frequent changes but few extremes of temperature". A "group of islands close to continental Europe", Britain has been "subject to many invasions and migrations".

We're taken through the Roman invasion ("brought more active contacts with the rest of Europe"), the Norman invasion (led to "active involvement in European affairs...for several hundred years") and various travails with the Welsh, Scots and Irish before the British empire reached its zenith in Victorian times.

Then it all started to go wrong. "The losses and destruction of World War I, the depression of the 1930s, and decades of relatively slow growth eroded the United Kingdom's preeminent international position of the previous century".

Those fretting about the demise of the term "special relationship" might not be reassured by this briefing book. There's talk of a "strong bilateral relationship", of the UK being "one of the United States' closest allies" and of "close coordination" and "bilateral cooperation" between two countries who "continually consult on foreign policy". Everything except "special".

After the country sections, we're introduced the personalities, with information mainly culled from their websites. Queen Elizabeth "enrolled as a girl Guide when she was eleven, and later became a Sea Ranger", we are informed. During the war she "put on pantomimes with the children of members of staff for the enjoyment of her family and employees of the Royal Household".

Gordon Brown's entry reads a little like one of those awful Christmas round robins. Young Gordon, we are told repeatedly, was very, very clever. He "did well a school from an early age" and then "excelled at sport and joined in every aspect of school life, quickly becoming popular".

He "took his exams a year ahead of his contemporaries" and "went on to University at the age of 15", where he edited the student newspaper "in a prize-winning year" and won "a First Class Honours degree and a number of prizes for his studies".

David Cameron seems to be auditioning for the role of British Barack in advance of his big meeting with the President tomorrow (in the Yellow Room at Winfield House), stating he was elected Conservative leader with a "mandate to change the party and change the country" and "believes there is urgent need for change".

Since her presidential bid, Hillary Clinton, now Secretary of State, has scaled down her claims of being "instrumental" in bringing peace to Northern Ireland. All we get on the Emerald Isle is a modest: "With Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, Secretary Clinton worked to launch the government's Vital Voices Democracy Initiative."

The former New York senator skips quickly over her defeat in the battle for the Democratic nomination. "In 2006, Senator Clinton won reelection to the Senate, and in 2007 she began her historic campaign for president," her biography reads. "In 2008, she campaigned for the election of Barack Obama and Joe Biden."

For those who might bristle at the "slightly smaller than Oregon" description of Britain (which seems to originate from the CIA World Factbook), US geographical comparisons are also included in the other country profiles prepared by the State Department's Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs.

Germany - a "reliable US ally" since 9/11 - is "about the size of Montana" while the Czech Republic "about the size of Virginia".

We are informed that France is "America's oldest ally" and was "instrumental in helping Britain's American colonies establish independence" and more recently has been "a close partner with the US in the war on terror".

It is the largest country in Europe. But only "about four-fifths the size of Texas".

Oregon, by the way, has a population of 3.7 million while the population of the UK is more than 60 million.

Iowanian
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I figured he'd give her a campaign contribution envelop and pull out a sharpe to autograph her breast.

Direckshun
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Those fretting about the demise of the term "special relationship" might not be reassured by this briefing book. There's talk of a "strong bilateral relationship", of the UK being "one of the United States' closest allies" and of "close coordination" and "bilateral cooperation" between two countries who "continually consult on foreign policy". Everything except "special".

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

For those who might bristle at the "slightly smaller than Oregon" description of Britain (which seems to originate from the CIA World Factbook), US geographical comparisons are also included in the other country profiles prepared by the State Department's Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs.

Germany - a "reliable US ally" since 9/11 - is "about the size of Montana" while the Czech Republic "about the size of Virginia".
OUTRAGE, AND OUTRAGE SOME MORE.

wild1
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
i thought it was funny when asked about England/Ukraine today, he couldn't have been drug into taking a position by a bunch of wild horses.

you're standing in england. just say, "England".

instead he talked to the assemblage like they were 3 year olds saying there's this basketball tournament, it's called march madness, blah blah blah. wouldn't make a pick.

whatever. but it was funny how wooden and deer/headlights he sounded off-script

wild1
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
by the way, at least he didn't give them any DVDs out of the bargain bin at walmart that won't play in europe

BigRedChief
04-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Seems to me that there are more important things to worry about, but thats just how I roll. ;)

The lame present here IMHO is giving someone a signed picture of yourself. I don't care if its traditional. That tradition sucks.

jAZ
04-02-2009, 06:44 AM
At least he didn't do this...

In return the queen and her husband, Prince Philip, gave the Obamas a signed portrait of themselves.

Actually, this isn't nearly as objectionable as you make it to be.

InChiefsHell
04-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Actually, I think the signed songbook makes up for the stupid ass iPod (which really is a dumb gift)...and the pretentious signed portrait that the Queen gave them just goes to show why propped up fake Monarchies are such a damn joke. "Her Majesty" indeed...it's like their playing castle over there, with this bullshit Monarchy.

Frankly, I'd have a lot more respect for the Prime Minister than the stupid "queen" figurehead person.

KC Dan
04-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I figured he'd give her a campaign contribution envelop and pull out a sharpe to autograph her breast.
Instead, he loaded the iPod with his speeches. He isn't arrogant....

WoodDraw
04-02-2009, 09:42 AM
FTR, the iPod came loaded with video and pictures of her last visit, plus American show tunes that the Queen had said she liked before. That goes along with the signed song book. Seems pretty thoughtful to me, but I'm no expert on Royal gift giving.

Garcia Bronco
04-02-2009, 09:46 AM
FTR, the iPod came loaded with video and pictures of her last visit, plus American show tunes that the Queen had said she liked before. That goes along with the signed song book. Seems pretty thoughtful to me, but I'm no expert on Royal gift giving.

If it had all of that then it's a thoughful gift IMO.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
What did past presidents give as gifts?

Iowanian
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I heard he borrowed the music from limewire, but at least genuflected when he pulled up her skirt to autograph her breast.

Iowanian
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
What did past presidents give as gifts?

A territorial Island.

BigRedChief
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I heard he borrowed the music from limewire, but at least genuflected when he pulled up her skirt to autograph her breast.
jeeezz Michele put an arm around her shoulders and people go nuts

I'm sure glad George Washington rejected this monarchy crap.

NewChief
04-02-2009, 11:28 AM

The iPod also contained the yet-to-be-released Lil' Wayne track, "God Skeet the Queen."

mlyonsd
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll bet there was an awkward moment when they were standing face to face trying to decide who should bow to who.

El Jefe
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
How about an ACORN t-shirt?

Heh Heh.

patteeu
04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Instead, he loaded the iPod with his speeches. He isn't arrogant....

OMG, I thought you were joking!

LOL (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/01/confirmed-queens-ipod-includes-obamas-speeches/)

Uploaded onto the iPod:

* Photos from President Obama’s Inauguration
* Audio of then-state senator Obama’s speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
* Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address

KC Dan
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
OMG, I thought you were joking!

LOL (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/04/01/confirmed-queens-ipod-includes-obamas-speeches/)
The thing about Obama is - he really is transparent if you know what you're looking at.....and it's not good for America