PDA

View Full Version : Draft Hypothetical #1

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 09:57 AM
KC will stay at #3. Stafford and Smith are taken #1 and #2.

Who do you take at #3?

Give 2-3 players you'd take in the 3rd round.
Give 2-3 players you'd take in the 4th round.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Given that scenario, it's either going to be Monroe or Curry.

If that situation presents itself, there's probably not a choice but to take Curry.

It's too high for Brown or Sanchez probably.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Given that scenario, it's either going to be Monroe or Curry.

If that situation presents itself, there's probably not a choice but to take Curry.

It's too high for Brown or Sanchez probably.

I think Raji would be in the discussion too, but agree that it would probably be Curry.

Fat Elvis
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I would say draft Sanchez and hold him for a king's ransom. There are a lot of teams out there who need a QB.

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Give me the QB stuffing DT...BJ Raji.

The only positions that justify the cost...QB, LT, DT, or DE.

Brock
04-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd draft Sanchez and see what happens. I don't know enough about latter round players to make a guess.

Dicky McElephant
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Pull a move like the Chargers and take Sanchez. Worse case scenario......we let him sit behind Cassel for a year and see what Cassel can do with the offense. Best case scenario....someone wants Sanchez bad enough and we rape them for a player and picks.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Sanchez in the first

Lugis, Caldwell, Tupou in the 3rd

Urbik, Sammie Lee Hill in the 4th

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 11:35 AM
If you take Sanchez and can't flip him on draft day you have to pay him about 30 million or so guaranteed. Plus, you have to pay 14.6 mil to Cassel for 2009. If Cassel plays well like Pioli and Haley think then they would have negotiate a long term deal for him for the 2010 season or pay him 110% of his 2009 salary. KC is going to risk spending about 60 million in guaranteed money to QB's over the next 2 years?

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
If you take Sanchez and can't flip him on draft day you have to pay him about 30 million or so guaranteed. Plus, you have to pay 14.6 mil to Cassel for 2009. If Cassel plays well like Pioli and Haley think then they would have negotiate a long term deal for him for the 2010 season or pay him 110% of his 2009 salary. KC is going to risk spending about 60 million in guaranteed money to QB's over the next 2 years?

One of them would be tradeable. It's not as big of a risk as some make it out to be.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
One of them would be tradeable. It's not as big of a risk as some make it out to be.

Assume KC trades Sanchez after 2009. Isn't KC responsible for his signing bonus?

Brock
04-02-2009, 11:48 AM

I'd bet the farm that 10 seconds after the pick is announced, the phone starts ringing and ringing and ringing. We're not married to Cassel, and we have 2 great QB prospects if there isn't a trade consummated. I don't care about the money.

Nightfyre
04-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Assume KC trades Sanchez after 2009. Isn't KC responsible for his signing bonus?

Cassel would be the more likely trade suspect. We would just pull a NE and franchise him and ship him out with less of an impact.

orange
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Yes.

Dicky McElephant
04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Cassel would be the more likely trade suspect. We would just pull a NE and franchise him and ship him out with less of an impact.

This.

Play Cassel at his franchise number next year would allow Pioli and Haley to look at both QBs and determine what we have. If they think that Sanchez is going to be a great QB (which I'm sure they would if they drafted him) then they would allow him to sit behind Cassel next year. If Cassel does good but they want Sanchez....then you franchise Cassel and trade him for the best offer. If they want to keep Cassel....then they could trade Sanchez. We're so far under the cap....that we're having problems meeting the minimum that we have to spend.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Not if he plays at the level that Pioli and Haley obviously expect him to.

Brock
04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
For all we know, they view Cassel as an insurance policy.

Dicky McElephant
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
For all we know, they view Cassel as an insurance policy.

This.

Nightfyre
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
If I was going to draft a QB, I would make sure I had a capable pro ahead of him to:
A) Help him transition to becoming a pro
B) Start in the mean

I mean, if you're going to dump millions into a franchise QB, give him EVERYTHING he needs to succeed.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Option 1

Cassel plays well enough that Pioli and Haley decide to stick with him. They trade Sanchez for X number of picks and Hunt has to take a 30 million or so hit to the wallet.

Option 2
Cassel bombs and KC franchises him (guarantees him 17.5 million) and hopes some team will trade for a QB guaranteed to get 17.5 million that disappointed in 2009. Hunt wasted 14.6 million and the Chiefs don't get all that much in return and/or risk being on the hook for 17.5 million.

Do these options seem realistic to anyone?

Brock
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Option 3

A draft day trade is made, sending Cassel or Sanchez to any of the many teams that are QB hungry right now.

Option 4

Cassel plays this year without a long term contract and the Chiefs let him leave next season.

I'm sure there are a great many options I'm leaving out.

Coogs
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Play Cassel at his franchise number next year would allow Pioli and Haley to look at both QBs and determine what we have. If they think that Sanchez is going to be a great QB (which I'm sure they would if they drafted him) then they would allow him to sit behind Cassel next year. If Cassel does good but they want Sanchez....then you franchise Cassel and trade him for the best offer. If they want to keep Cassel....then they could trade Sanchez. We're so far under the cap....that we're having problems meeting the minimum that we have to spend.

I agree totally! And from what they said last night on the Sanchez workout was that he was perfect for the system that Denver wants to use. I would assume that would mean he should be a pretty good fit for our system as well.

Nightfyre
Option 1

Cassel plays well enough that Pioli and Haley decide to stick with him. They trade Sanchez for X number of picks and Hunt has to take a 30 million or so hit to the wallet.

Option 2
Cassel bombs and KC franchises him (guarantees him 17.5 million) and hopes some team will trade for a QB guaranteed to get 17.5 million that disappointed in 2009. Hunt wasted 14.6 million and the Chiefs don't get all that much in return and/or risk being on the hook for 17.5 million.

Do these options seem realistic to anyone?

Option 3 (MOST REALISTIC)
Cassel continues to be average and Sanchez is ready by the end of the year to start. KC franchises Cassel and trades him and takes the 17.5MM hit because we can.

SBK
I'd take Sanchez.

Dicky McElephant
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
If Stafford goes #1 and we take Sanchez at #3.....we're going to be fielding a shit ton of calls for Sanchez or Cassel from other teams.....

Bucs
Vikings
Jets
Browns
49ers
Bears
Panthers

Nightfyre
04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Another option would be to trade Cutler for a swap of firsts. Then flip Cassel to the Niners or someone.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Option 3 (MOST REALISTIC)
Cassel continues to be average .

Continues to be average?? A guy who hasn't started a game since High School throws for 3,500 plus yards, with a 64% completion percentage, 21 TD, 11 INTs. That's average to you??

The Sanchez lovers are funny and delusional.

Nightfyre
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Continues to be average?? A guy who hasn't started a game since High School throws for 3,500 plus yards, with a 64% completion percentage, 21 TD, 11 INTs. That's average to you??

Given his receiving corps and running game, yes.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I would say draft Sanchez and hold him for a king's ransom. There are a lot of teams out there who need a QB.

Dis.

Been sayin' it for weeks.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM

I like Sanchez but calling Cassel average is pretty funny.

Nightfyre
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Given his receiving corps and running game, i'd say average is a pretty satisfactory explanation.

doomy3
04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Given his receiving corps and running game, i'd say average is a pretty satisfactory explanation.

ROFL

Way to prove your point. He's listed above Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Joe Flacco, and many others on that list. Chad Pennington IS number 2 on the list though, so maybe we should try to get him!!

DeezNutz
04-02-2009, 02:47 PM

I don't really think we know what he is just yet. So saying he's great, average, shitty...seems all about the same to me.

OnTheWarpath58
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't really think we know what he is just yet. So saying he's great, average, shitty...seems all about the same to me.

Agreed.

I wonder how many conversations Cleveland fans had that were similar in the offseason following 2007.

DeezNutz
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Agreed.

I wonder how many conversations Cleveland fans had that were similar in the offseason following 2007.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Couple Anderson's performance with his size, and I bet there were a lot of confused Browns fans on draft day.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
His season last year wasn't "average" by any means.