PDA

View Full Version : *NEW* Walterfootball Mock now w/5th round

Pestilence
04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
3. Aaron Curry, ILB, Wake Forest
MARCH 24 UPDATE: Nothing really new to say here. This pick is pretty much a lock. Aaron Curry will be here, for reasons I listed in the Rams write-up.

PREVIOUS UPDATES: I had two reasons for putting Mark Sanchez No. 3 in many of my previous updates. First, quarterbacks hold much more positional value than linebackers. That's just how the draft works.

And second, new regimes mean new quarterbacks. I was confident Clark Hunt, Scott Pioli and Todd Haley would be searching for "their guy." I just thought it would be Sanchez. Apparently, they liked Matt Cassel better, though I wouldn't exactly consider him much of an upgrade over Tyler Thigpen. Both Thigpen and Cassel are shotgun spread quarterbacks with limited arm strength and an inability to play under center. Put Thigpen on the Patriots last year, and he would have put up the same numbers as Cassel. For more on this, check out this particular NFL Draft Mailbag entry.

At any rate, the Chiefs can now focus on finding help for their new 3-4 defense. The best defensive player in this draft is Aaron Curry, and he'd fill a big need at inside linebacker.

67. Chris Baker, NT, Hampton
As predicted, the Chiefs are moving to a 3-4 defense. That's currently a problem because they're missing most of the 3-4 essentials - including a dominating nose tackle.

#102. Brandon Williams, DE/OLB, Texas Tech
If Kansas City's mayor scheduled a parade every time the Chiefs registered a sack, there would have been only 10 parades in 2008. Poor KC fans.

With the move to the 3-4, the Chiefs need to find some rush linebackers capable of generating consistent pressure.

#139. Joel Bell, OT, Furman
Some much-needed competition at the right tackle position; Damion McIntosh, now 32, gave up seven sacks in 2008.

Pestilence
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
They have Seattle taking Crabtree at #4 and Monroe going to the Bengals at #6. I really don't see Seattle spending all of that money on another WR....especially after signing Housh this offseason. I would imagine that they would take Monroe at #4 if he fell. That being said.....I really think that the Bengals might want to trade up to get Monroe before Seattle has the chance.

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
It's funny how all the mocks say we need a NT and it's the most important position to a 3-4 defense and then we ignore it until the 3rd round. I don't buy that for one minute.

Also, Williams is WAY TOO SMALL to be a 3-4 defensive end.

Pestilence
04-02-2009, 11:03 AM
So since I'm bored....I'll do my own. But I think that the Bengals trade up to #3 to get Monroe. They offer up the #6 and #38 for the #3.

#6 - B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
#38 - Clint Sintim, OLB/DE, Virginia
#67 - Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama
#102 - Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU
#139 - Louis Vasques, OG, Texas Tech

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
So since I'm bored....I'll do my own. But I think that the Bengals trade up to #3 to get Monroe. They offer up the #6 and #38 for the #3.

#6 - B.J. Raji, NT, Boston College
#38 - Clint Sintim, OLB/DE, Virginia
#67 - Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama
#102 - Jason Phillips, ILB, TCU
#139 - Louis Vasques, OG, Texas Tech

I like your mock alot better. Everyone of those players could make an impact on our team. Your last two picks are very underrated players.

keg in kc
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Also, Williams is WAY TOO SMALL to be a 3-4 defensive end.The mock infers it would be as a rush linebacker.

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 11:11 AM
The mock infers it would be as a rush linebacker.
Even then, I think he's a better fit for the 4-3.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
It was fun reading about the Cassel and Thigpen comparisons. That really made my day.

RustShack
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
It's funny how all the mocks say we need a NT and it's the most important position to a 3-4 defense and then we ignore it until the 3rd round. I don't buy that for one minute.

Also, Williams is WAY TOO SMALL to be a 3-4 defensive end.

Even then, I think he's a better fit for the 4-3.

Because we don't have a second round pick, that might be why its ignored until the third round?

Williams would be a OLB in the 3-4, I don't know where you are getting DE. As for a 4-3, he better be putting on some weight before hes a better fit there. Also, since we are running a hybrid defense we need guys who can play in both systems..

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Because we don't have a second round pick, that might be why its ignored until the third round?

Williams would be a OLB in the 3-4, I don't know where you are getting DE. As for a 4-3, he better be putting on some weight before hes a better fit there. Also, since we are running a hybrid defense we need guys who can play in both systems..
We will be running the hybrid until we can get more pieces of the puzzle that fit the 3-4. We will be leaning towards players that fit the 3-4.

He played DE in college-he was also listed as a DE/OLBer in the THREAD STARTER.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm beginning to think that all mocks are worthless and the majority of these guys are absolutely clueless.

RustShack
04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
We will be running the hybrid until we can get more pieces of the puzzle that fit the 3-4. We will be leaning towards players that fit the 3-4.

He played DE in college-he was also listed as a DE/OLBer in the THREAD STARTER.

You do realize DE/OLB means 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE right? You really think the Chiefs are just going to throw Dorsey away? No one knows if we will ever go to a full 3-4 so you are talking out of your ass right there.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Guys, they've never said we WILL be running a hybrid system. The only definitive thing they've said so far is that they haven't decided on schemes yet.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
You do realize DE/OLB means 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE right? You really think the Chiefs are just going to throw Dorsey away? No one knows if we will ever go to a full 3-4 so you are talking out of your ass right there.

Actually, I don't think they're going to throw Dorsey away.

I think the Chiefs will eventually go full 3-4 AND they'll find a spot for him.

RustShack
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Actually, I don't think they're going to throw Dorsey away.

I think the Chiefs will eventually go full 3-4 AND they'll find a spot for him.

Which throws away his talents.

RustShack
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Guys, they've never said we WILL be running a hybrid system. The only definitive thing they've said so far is that they haven't decided on schemes yet.

Actually Haley has said they will be using both systems which is a hybird.. He also said we may never full convert to a 3-4.

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 03:25 PM
To be clear... I think his(Brandon Williams) skillset suits him as an OLBer in a 4-3.

Also, saying, moving to the 3-4, throws Dorsey's talents away, sounds more like the talking out of the ass segment of this conversation, but I digress.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Actually Haley has said they will be using both systems which is a hybird.. He also said we may never full convert to a 3-4.

No. He said they're wanting to run the 3-4, but realize they may have to run some 4-3 too. He followed that by saying they weren't making any decisions until after they've evaluated the current personnel. They've given us plenty of hints, but they haven't said they WILL do anything yet.