PDA

View Full Version : Raji Allegedly Tests Positive

Woodrow Call
04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/04/02/raji/index.html

Source: Defensive tackle Raji tested positive at NFL Combine

By Tony Pauline, Special to SI.com, TFYDraft.com

Defensive tackle B.J. Raji, whose draft stock has soared over the past six months, had a positive drug test at February's combine, NFL team sources have told SI.com. It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

NFL teams will receive the official list of those who tested positive in Indianapolis later this month, and Raji's name will be on it, according to a source who attended last week's owners meetings in California.

Brian Murphy, Chief Operating Officer of Athletes First, which represents Raji, told SI.com: "We will not comment on rumors from unnamed sources. I do know that B.J. has been one of the hardest workers and nicest individuals that we at Athletes First represent. There is no doubt that he will be an invaluable addition to an NFL team both on the field as a player and in the community as a role model."

Raji declined comment when reached by SI.com.

According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again.

How this affects Raji's draft grade remains to be seen. He missed the 2007 college season with academic issues, returned to Boston College and had a terrific senior campaign, recording eight sacks and 42 tackles, with 16 tackles for loss. He was a dominant force during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl and continued his momentum up draft boards after turning in good combine and pro-day workouts. His performances the past three months have some scouts believing he'll be taken in the top third of the first round of the April 25 draft.

One source familiar with the positive drug test assessed Raji's draft prospects by saying, "It's a roll of the dice. If Raji stays clean and plays to his potential, you could have a dominant defensive lineman on your team. Then again, it does nobody any good if the kid is on the sidelines serving a suspension for a failed test."

Prior to the 1995 draft, top-rated defensive tackle Warren Sapp saw his stock slip after reports surfaced of positive drug tests during his time at the University of Miami, which he denied. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers eventually selected Sapp with the No. 12 overall pick. Sapp went on to play 13 seasons in the NFL, earning seven trips to the Pro Bowl.

Pestilence
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't get these people. It's like going to a job interview high...knowing full well that they're going to test you for it.

Fucking idiot.....nevermind...I don't want him.

BigChiefFan
04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
It's what teams will start doing to hope they can drive his stock down. Alleged, means just that.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 02:22 PM
I didn't "want" him to begin with.

Looks like another Luis Castillo situation where he falls to the bottom of the first round.

Unless it's something far worse than steroids.

orange
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/money-toilet.jpg

Brock
04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I heard he was stupid, I guess that was correct.

htismaqe
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
It's just weed, it's not at all like Castillo. Raji isn't trying to cheat or anything.

That being said, he's gonna fall now. Typical NFL.

Mr. Krab
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/money-toilet.jpg
This

What a freaking idiot. :doh!:

L.A. Chieffan
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
we need him

COchief
04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I wonder if these dipshits realize that they literally paid 20 million dollars for that one joint. Unbelievable...

Fruit Ninja
04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
If its just pot, it doesnt bother me. If they draft him, i wouldnt be mad.

Deberg_1990
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Probably just weed. I remember Warren Sapp tested positive for it back before he got drafted. No big deal really.

L.A. Chieffan
04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
If its just pot, it doesnt bother me. If they draft him, i wouldnt be mad.

dude...i could care less what people do in their free time but if he's smokin it now he's gonna be smokin later, which means suspensions

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
In Raji's case it isn't just weed. It's several character red flags throughout his career.

Mr. Krab
04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Probably just weed. I remember Warren Sapp tested positive for it back before he got drafted. No big deal really.
Doesn't it scream "stupidity" for a draft pick to smoke right before he knows he's gonna be tested? or he just can't help himself which is even worse. Warren Sapp is a big time exception imo. A guy that does something that hugely stupid and then doesn't go on to have multiple problems again.

rad
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I wonder how far he'll fall? Sapp fell to #12. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger drop here.

Woodrow Call
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I love pot don't get me wrong but DTs with a lot of money always seem hard to motivate and I can't imagine pot helping matters.

Throw in the fact that he has shown no ability to learn from his mistakes even when his future is on the line makes this strike 3 in my book.

Brock
04-02-2009, 02:37 PM

I don't care if it's just weed, it's monumentally stupid to be smoking it at this point in his life. That means he's a dumbass, which means Pioli likely won't be interested in him.

L.A. Chieffan
04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
no way pioli takes this guy

orange
04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder how far he'll fall? Sapp fell to #12. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger drop here.

Ironic. If Shanahan were still coaching the Broncos, I'd say Raji would be #12 too.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
It's just weed, it's not at all like Castillo. Raji isn't trying to cheat or anything.

That being said, he's gonna fall now. Typical NFL.

They didn't say it was weed. The article said he'd tested positive for weed before the 2008 season.

It's unknown to SI.com which drug triggered the positive result, but NFL scouts were made aware before the 2008 season that Raji had tested positive for marijuana during his time at Boston College.

That being said, it's probably marijuana but as others have stated, it shows a supremely lack of judgment.

Blick
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
There's a lot of guys in the league who smoke or have smoked. It's not a big deal to me.

L.A. Chieffan
04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
There's a lot of guys in the league who smoke or have smoked. It's not a big deal to me.

its not a big deal for your #1 pick suspended for drug use that you knew about before you drafted him?

Brock
04-02-2009, 02:43 PM

And most of them are smart enough not to get caught.

CrazyPhuD
04-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I love pot don't get me wrong but DTs with a lot of money always seem hard to motivate and I can't imagine pot helping matters.

Throw in the fact that he has shown no ability to learn from his mistakes even when his future is on the line makes this strike 3 in my book.

How do you think he got to be the size that he did?

Pot = muchies = $$$$

Mr. Krab
04-02-2009, 02:44 PM
This

It's about the stupidity or lack of control than it is anything else.

Chiefnj2
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
The good thing is that he knows he will be in the first stage of the NFL's drug testing scheme which means he knows he will definitely be tested. IIRC, Castillo agreed to additional testing by the team and agreed to forfeit his signing bonus if he tested positive. The bad news is that Raji knew he'd be tested at the combine and likely smoked within two months of the combine. Stupid is as stupid does.

Blick
04-02-2009, 02:46 PM
its not a big deal for your #1 pick suspended for drug use that you knew about before you drafted him?

They probably won't draft him anyway.

DeezNutz
Just another tap in the balls to remind us that we're in a difficult draft position, unless Pioli actually wants to take one of the QB's.

Brock
The good thing is that he knows he will be in the first stage of the NFL's drug testing scheme which means he knows he will definitely be tested. IIRC, Castillo agreed to additional testing by the team and agreed to forfeit his signing bonus if he tested positive. The bad news is that Raji knew he'd be tested at the combine and likely smoked within two months of the combine. Stupid is as stupid does.

2 months, probably more like 2 days.

Blick
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM

True, but you don't have to be a genius to play nose tackle.

Saccopoo
04-02-2009, 02:49 PM

No, but it is a big deal to the team that drafts him and has to sit him for four games plus if he blows his nose with toilet paper instead of Kleenex.

Hell, Bill Walton used to get high before games, and Mickey Mantel probably played half of his career drunk and they did just fine. However, it is against the law and there are rules put in place to make sure that these guys are on a level playing field keeping the game as competitive as possible.

Tested for weed in college. Tested for something at the combine. You think Goodall is going to let one slide if he pisses hot with whatever team he gets drafted by? Not a chance. And the team that drafts him knows that the NFL is going to be on this kids ass with randoms all the time. You think anyone wants to end up in a Ricky Williams situation?

I think weed is a hell of a lot less adverse on a human body than alcohol, which is absolutely toxic at best, and should be legalized or decriminalized to the point of misdemeanor traffic status. However, that's the society that we live in currently, and like it or not, you've got to play by the rules. Especially in the NFL.

L.A. Chieffan
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
just legalize it already brah

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Hell, Bill Walton used to get high before games, and Mickey Mantel probably played half of his career drunk and they did just fine.

And as great as those guys were at their respective sport, neither were given excessive signing bonuses totaling in the tens of millions, nor did they receive millions of dollars a year while playing.

That tends to make a huge difference in the eyes of ownership and the league.

Raji's dumb. Plain and simple.

Deberg_1990
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't care if it's just weed, it's monumentally stupid to be smoking it at this point in his life. That means he's a dumbass, which means Pioli likely won't be interested in him.

Oh, i agree its dumb, but sometimes we forget these guys are young and dumb. Its in their nature.

We all did dumb things when we were young.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh, i agree its dumb, but sometimes we forget these guys are young and dumb. Its in their nature.

We all did dumb things when we were young.

And if I had millions of dollars on the line, I may not have even left my house before the draft.

Deberg_1990
04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
And if I had millions of dollars on the line, I may not have even left my house before the draft.

heh, thats asking alot of a 20-22 year old.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
heh, thats asking alot of a 20-22 year old.

I'd be willing to bet that Matt Stafford, Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe aren't this immature.

Blick
04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
No, but it is a big deal to the team that drafts him and has to sit him for four games plus if he blows his nose with toilet paper instead of Kleenex.

Hell, Bill Walton used to get high before games, and Mickey Mantel probably played half of his career drunk and they did just fine. However, it is against the law and there are rules put in place to make sure that these guys are on a level playing field keeping the game as competitive as possible.

Tested for weed in college. Tested for something at the combine. You think Goodall is going to let one slide if he pisses hot with whatever team he gets drafted by? Not a chance. And the team that drafts him knows that the NFL is going to be on this kids ass with randoms all the time. You think anyone wants to end up in a Ricky Williams situation?

I think weed is a hell of a lot less adverse on a human body than alcohol, which is absolutely toxic at best, and should be legalized or decriminalized to the point of misdemeanor traffic status. However, that's the society that we live in currently, and like it or not, you've got to play by the rules. Especially in the NFL.

I agree that it's a red flag for teams. But, sometimes stuff like this gives guys a wake up call to get their shit together. Maybe he'll clean up his act once he gets drafted. Who knows. He's definitely a risk, but it's a risk that could pay off pretty well for a team if he stops being retarded.

Blick
04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Matt Stafford, Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe aren't this immature.

Stafford's keg pictures look really mature.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Stafford's keg pictures look really mature.

Last time I checked, beer was legal.

keg in kc
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Hey look, Raji's a moron. We didn't know that already. Oh wait.

keg in kc
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Stafford's keg pictures look really mature.Man, that just sounds wrong.

Blick
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Last time I checked, beer was legal.

...if you're 21.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
...if you're 21.

Was he under-age at the time of those pics?

If so, that's not too bright, Matt.

Blick
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Was he under-age at the time of those pics?

If so, that's not too bright, Matt.

Yeah, he was 19.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Is it poor judgement? Yes. But you have to think these guys are college kids. College kids do stupid stuff even the smart ones. When the pussy and booze is a flowing shit happens.

KCChiefsMan
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
ya, I see nothing wrong with smoking weed except that it's illegal. But knowing that, if I was a projected top draft choice I would stay the hell away from it! Come on! I was kind of wanting this guy in a Chiefs uni, not sure now. He must be stupid.

Mecca
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Calvin Johnson admitted he smoked weed in college...it depends who you are.

But basically everyone smokes weed while in college so I really don't care about this.

wild1
04-02-2009, 05:26 PM
weed positive in college, academic issues cost him a whole season, now he shows up to the combine with cloudy piss...

no thanks

Sanka
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
no way pioli takes this guy

Didn't Randy Moss admit to smoking in the off season? And didn't Pioli later on go out and trade for him?

Ralphy Boy
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM

But basically everyone smokes weed while in college so I really don't care about this.

This

Didn't Randy Moss admit to smoking in the off season? And didn't Pioli later on go out and trade for him?

and this.

Plus, he's a freakin DT, not a QB. Being smart isn't a prerequisite.

So we have how many players in or formerly in the league that have tested positive or admitted to smoking weed?
Santonio Holmes, Calvin Johnson, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye, Aqib Talib

BigRock
04-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Breaking News: Three Prospects Test Positive
Thursday, 02 April 2009 22:36

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

NFL | Cushing, Matthews tested positive for steroids

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:23:40 -0700
Rick Serritella, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Southern California LB Brian Cushing and LB Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Breaking News: Three Prospects Test Positive
Thursday, 02 April 2009 22:36

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

NFL | Cushing, Matthews tested positive for steroids

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:23:40 -0700
Rick Serritella, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Southern California LB Brian Cushing and LB Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids at the NFL Scouting Combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

jesus christ? seriously? I expected Vontae Davis to begin with. But Harvin and Raji surprised me. But that is one thing. Now Cushing and Matthews on steroids? I mean, look at Matthews neck, im not surprised but why are they so dumb?

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
haha

orange
04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Cushing and Matthews on steroids - yes
Maybin on steroids - no

Gosh, some people around here were completely wrong. Who would have guessed?

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Cushing and Matthews on steroids - yes
Maybin on steroids - no

Gosh, some people around here were completely wrong. Who would have guessed?

who said Maybin was on steroids?

orange
04-02-2009, 11:43 PM

There's a thread here with some before and after pictures.

Here: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=202704&highlight=maybin

... and here are the after-after pics (Maybin at the combine): http://blog.pennlive.com/pasports/penn_state/

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:45 PM
There's a thread here with some before and after pictures.

I would love some before and after pics of Matthews and Cushing...I also thought it was just USC's weight lifting program. Darn.

DaneMcCloud
04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Now Cushing and Matthews on steroids? I mean, look at Matthews neck, im not surprised but why are they so dumb?

Are you kidding?

Clay Matthews was a walk-on at USC that "played" there for 5 years. He had 9 starts in 5 years.

Oh, his initial walk-on weight? 160 pounds.

Now? 240.

You do the math.

How else would Clay Matthews even considered for the NFL without steroids?

KCrockaholic
04-02-2009, 11:58 PM
we need before and after pics...

Blick
04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Matthews taking roids doesn't surprise me at all. He needed them if he wanted to play in the league.

mylittlepony
04-03-2009, 05:29 AM
we need before and after pics...

http://www.thedirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

KCrockaholic
04-03-2009, 05:41 AM
haha Cushing would have never made it to the NFL if he looked like that on the left.

mylittlepony
04-03-2009, 06:38 AM
With his injury history it wouldnt surprise me if he got hooked on something after getting it for therapeutical use. Its sad because he strikes me as a kid that really just wants to play football.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-03-2009, 06:38 AM

Anyone w/ common sense.

KCrockaholic
04-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Anyone w/ common sense.

Didnt it turn out that he wasnt on steroids since he wasnt on the list?

Prometheus
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Too bad. What a waste. Could have been-still might be a force in the league, but this doesn't bode well.

Chiefnj2
04-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Didnt it turn out that he wasnt on steroids since he wasnt on the list?

Not necessarily.

bdeg
04-03-2009, 08:15 AM
You can never take a non-positive drug test as fact that the person isn't using. These tests are beaten all the time. I worked with a guy who claimed to have beaten over 20 of them.

Although, this makes me wonder how random tests are given in the NFL. Are players told, "Hey, you've got a test get in there and piss." or "Hey, you've got a test today, swing by after lunch"

Chiefnj2
04-03-2009, 08:42 AM
You can never take a non-positive drug test as fact that the person isn't using. These tests are beaten all the time. I worked with a guy who claimed to have beaten over 20 of them.

Although, this makes me wonder how random tests are given in the NFL. Are players told, "Hey, you've got a test get in there and piss." or "Hey, you've got a test today, swing by after lunch"

Once your name is randomly selected you have 24 hours to set up the test with an approved supervisor. It doesn't matter where you are. You could be vacationing in Tahiti and you've got to drop everything. If you fail to show for the test it is counted as a positive result.

Fun reading from Cooley:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-Adventures-in-NFL-drug-testing?urn=nfl,81183

L.A. Chieffan
04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
kfc

bdeg
04-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Once your name is randomly selected you have 24 hours to set up the test with an approved supervisor. It doesn't matter where you are. You could be vacationing in Tahiti and you've got to drop everything. If you fail to show for the test it is counted as a positive result.

Fun reading from Cooley:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Cooley-Zone-Adventures-in-NFL-drug-testing?urn=nfl,81183

That's the perfect opportunity for a player to get a clean person's urine and walk into the test with it. That's what the guy I knew claimed to do.

Chiefnj2
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
That's the perfect opportunity for a player to get a clean person's urine and walk into the test with it. That's what the guy I knew claimed to do.

You didn't read the link did you? Shirt off, pants below the knees.

bdeg
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
You didn't read the link did you? Shirt off, pants below the knees.

Nope. thanks for the info

NFL drug tester--Worst Job Ever. Cooley mentions a guy 'staring intently'

SCTrojan
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Are you kidding?

Clay Matthews was a walk-on at USC that "played" there for 5 years. He had 9 starts in 5 years.

Oh, his initial walk-on weight? 160 pounds.

Now? 240.

You do the math.

How else would Clay Matthews even considered for the NFL without steroids?

I have no idea whether he did steroids, but there seems to be an awful lot of judgment around here from a blurb on something called NFLdraftbible.com

He weighed 165+ when he was a junior in high school, and about 210 or so when he got to college, according to these articles. The urban legend around USC fans is that he was 185.

http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3502786

"It was Matthews’ play on special teams that garnered the attention of coach Pete Carroll. After Matthews had come to USC weighing about 210 pounds, Carroll says Matthews’ has been able to get his body right, gain about 40 pounds and excel wherever they’ve put him."

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/feb/22/uscs-matthews-has-deep-long-nfl-roots/

"Matthews said Saturday that mostly Division I-AA and junior college schools were interested in him. But he decided to follow the footsteps of his father and uncle and play for the Trojans, even as a 6-foot-1, 210-pound walk-on."

And I have no idea how the son of Clay Matthews, 19-year NFL linebacker, and nephew of Bruce Matthews, NFL Hall of Famer, and whose grandfather played for the San Francisco 49ers, could ever work his way into the NFL without steroids.

BigCatDaddy
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
http://www.thedirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

He has a nasty case of gyno (bitch tits) in the first picture, so he had done steroids before that photo also and didn't do a proper post cycle therapy. He was probably just off cycle for a bit before the first pic and obviously on cycle during the 2nd pic.

Shag
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM

IMHO, the red flag isn't that he smoked up a bit in college, it's that he wasn't smart and/or disciplined enough to lay off it leading up to the combine. It gives the impression he's either an idiot, or very undisciplined and unmotivated.

Mecca
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
IMHO, the red flag isn't that he smoked up a bit in college, it's that he wasn't smart and/or disciplined enough to lay off it leading up to the combine. It gives the impression he's either an idiot, or very undisciplined and unmotivated.

I'm pretty sure his academic suspension says he's kind of an idiot...

Shag
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure his academic suspension says he's kind of an idiot...

Indeed. But book smarts and common sense are too very different things - looks like he's a common sense idiot, too...