PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Wisconsin Rep. Ryan Seen as Future of GOP

The Rick
04-04-2009, 08:13 AM
I've been touting this guy for a while. Good to see him get some national accolades.
Wisconsin Rep. Ryan Seen as Future of GOP

The Heritage Foundation, a prominent conservative think tank in Washington, has anointed Rep. Paul Ryan "the leader of the future of the conservative movement."

By Carl Cameron
FOXNews.com
Friday, April 03, 2009

He's young, charismatic and conservative.

The Heritage Foundation, a prominent conservative think tank in Washington, has anointed this rising GOP star "the leader of the future of the conservative movement."

No, it's not Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty or House Minority Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia.

The man supposedly tasked with carrying the hopes and ambitions of an entire political party is Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis.

At 39, Ryan has become the go-to-guy on policy.

"I'm the man of the hour because I'm the top Republican on the House Budget Committee," he told FOX News in an interview.

Republicans are desperately seeking a new generation of leaders as it attempts to recover from two devastating election cycles that stripped them of power in Congress and the White House.

Ryan could be the man to lead the party back to power.

Elected to Congress in his 20s, he's a self-described nerd.

"I've been reading federal budgets since I was 22-years-old," he said. "That's kind of a weird thing to admit. It kind of makes me look like a dork."

A husband and father of three children, Ryan's got a knack for simplifying complex budget concepts.

"When my kids are my age, the federal government will have to tax 40 cents out of every dollar just to pay for the federal government we have today at that time," he said. "You add the Obama budget ambitions on top of it, it gets even worse. You will destroy this country's prosperity."

Ryan displayed his knack for numbers by crafting a House Republican budget plan that would have cut taxes and radically overhauled Medicare. The plan, a stark alternative to blueprints offered by President Obama and his Democratic allies, would have frozen overall spending on domestic programs passed by Congress each year and repealed most of the spending in Obama's recently passed economic stimulus bill. But Democrats rejected his plan Thursday.

Still, Ryan is comfortable zinging the White House budget director by day and hobnobbing at the White House with the chief of staff and treasury secretary by night.

He's confident, not cocky -- he picks up his own dry cleaning -- but he's clearly being groomed.

Ryan, however, is wary of party elders. Like last year's GOP presidential nominee, John McCain, he fancies himself a reformer, blaming "them" -- the nameless Republican old guard -- for abandoning principle and shrinking the party.

"A lot of them have retired. A lot of them have lost their elections, and so the way I see it is we've got a younger breed of reformers in the party," he said. "That breed has got to take over and become a reform party."

Ryan is promoting, not bending, conservative principles to expand the party.

"If you believe in freedom, liberty, self-determination, free enterprise, I don't care if you're a Muslim, Jewish, Agnostic, Christian, gay, straight, Latino, black, white, Irish, whatever. Join us."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/03/wisconsin-rep-ryan-seen-future-gop/

SNR
04-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Weren't Republicans bitching about Ron Paul in the 2008 primaries because he had two first names? LMAO

BucEyedPea
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, don't know much about the person but Heritage leans NeoCon. I do like the quote on Ryan inviting Muslims.

eazyb81
04-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I've seen a few interviews with Ryan on tv and he appears to be a sharp guy that has prez potential.

Saul Good
04-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I've seen a few interviews with Ryan on tv and he appears to be a sharp guy that has prez potential.

Prepare to see him get slimed in advance.

SNR
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We'll see. Sarah Palin was supposed to be a smart, bold political leader with stellar conservative principles and a fresh, new, (hot) face to the Republican party. We know how that worked out.

Bobby Jindal was supposed to be a great counter to Obama for the Republicans. Ooops.

This better not be another bag of shit the Republicans are just throwing out there to say they have a new direction. Knowing how anti-intellectual and inept the party has become in the past few years though, I suspect that's exactly the case. He'll make noise in primary races, but will simply turn out to be a giant flop.

BigRedChief
04-04-2009, 01:58 PM
ohhh yeahhh I really like his unique idea to get us out of this economic ditch.

A $4 Trillion tax cut in which 90% of the tax cut goes to the top 10% wealthiest Americans.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

jAZ
04-04-2009, 11:33 PM
The last "future of the GOP"...

http://news.lavenderliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bobby-jindal-moron.jpg

donkhater
04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
ohhh yeahhh I really like his unique idea to get us out of this economic ditch.

A $4 Trillion tax cut in which 90% of the tax cut goes to the top 10% wealthiest Americans.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

I suppose you don't like this plan because most of the money goes to those already rich and creates a large deficit.

Wait...which plan are we talking about? Obama's or Ryan's?

donkhater
04-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Personally I think the one plan that would be guaranteed to work is to suspend the capital gains tax.

Sure it will create a shortfall in revenue, but so does trillions of dollars in spending and borrowing and printing money out of thin air. Only this way, taxpayers can decide for themselves which companies are deserving of survival and structured well enough to move us into the future instead of some idiot politician in Washington.

The stock market would surge.

Of course this takes money (i.e. power) away from the Congress and the administration so it doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being considered.

chiefzilla1501
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Personally I think the one plan that would be guaranteed to work is to suspend the capital gains tax.

Sure it will create a shortfall in revenue, but so does trillions of dollars in spending and borrowing and printing money out of thin air. Only this way, taxpayers can decide for themselves which companies are deserving of survival and structured well enough to move us into the future instead of some idiot politician in Washington.

The stock market would surge.

Of course this takes money (i.e. power) away from the Congress and the administration so it doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being considered.

Agreed. Suspend is maybe too extreme a measure, as it's still a major source of tax revenue for the gov't. But Obama is considering raising capital gains and that's a huge mistake.

You're absolutely right. This economy badly needs investors to put money in the stock market and the housing market. And reducing capital gains is a good way of doing that.

Frankie
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM

He's the Anti-Christ!

:evil:

donkhater
04-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think suspending the capital gains tax is too extreme. In fact I think it is too tentative. I think it should be eliminated.

People need to remember that the Federal government has no money. It takes it from the taxpayer and divies it up.

What's that anecdote?

A kid throws a rock through a store owner's window. The store owner has to buy a new window. So in effect the boy throwing the rock through the window benefited the economy because it forced the store owner to spend.

Of course, the store owner likely had other uses for that money; no doubt more productive uses than fixing a window. An apt anecdote for the current times IMO.

Nightfyre
04-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Agreed. Suspend is maybe too extreme a measure, as it's still a major source of tax revenue for the gov't. But Obama is considering raising capital gains and that's a huge mistake.

You're absolutely right. This economy badly needs investors to put money in the stock market and the housing market. And reducing capital gains is a good way of doing that.
I dont see how suspending the capital gains tax will stimulate the housing market. At all.

Pioli Zombie
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Congressman Ryan. The reason President Obama wakes up in a. cold sweat every night. Oooo
Posted via Mobile Device

SBK
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM

http://news.lavenderliberal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bobby-jindal-moron.jpg

There are people that think we don't have a moron for President now? :D

SBK
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I dont see how suspending the capital gains tax will stimulate the housing market. At all.

You've never invested in real estate have you?

Ebolapox
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM

I'm neither pro or anti jindal (they're all full of shit, IMO)... but you don't graduate from fucking oxford by being a moron. it isn't exactly a legacy college.