PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow working on throwing mechanics

DaKCMan AP
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Florida Gators quarterback Tim Tebow working on smoother, quicker passing motion

By Jeremy Fowler | Sentinel Staff Writer
April 5, 2009

GAINESVILLE After three years, two national titles and a Heisman Trophy, Tim Tebow still gets questions about his throwing motion.

Spectators of Florida's spring practices seem to freeze when Tebow reaches back during spring practice, squinting to detect the slightest difference in an arm that's been evaluated in biomechanics labs and lambasted by pro scouts.

Tebow's moxie as a quarterback has been certified since he stepped on campus in 2005, but his mechanics are once again being tweaked for long-term effectiveness and possibly a long-term NFL investment.

Tebow has downplayed any changes to his throwing motion, saying new quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler who has worked with Tom Brady, Brian Griese and Chad Henne at Michigan has him focusing on footwork.

But Loeffler said he's working to get the Gators senior at a "10 o'clock" motion, less sidearm.

Teammates have noticed improvement already.

Call it Lefty 2.0.

"He's throwing a lot tighter spirals," wide receiver Carl Moore said. "I can tell he's throwing more over the top than sidearm."

Said backup quarterback John Brantley: "It's coming out a lot smoother. It looks a lot different, especially on tape. Quicker."

Two years ago, Gators coaches took Tebow into the University of Florida's Biomechanics and Motion Analysis Laboratory, utilizing digital cameras to configure a throwing motion that alleviated shoulder pain. Tebow used to throw like a baseball player, causing friction between his rotator cuff up front and the tissue near his scapula in his back.

The pain has subsided, but the concerns about a slow release haven't faded in the minds of his critics. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said NFL scouts are "scared to death" of Tebow's motion that in the past might have resembled a windmill.

"In the NFL, cornerbacks are going to read those and get the jumps quickly," McShay said.

Other scouts speak of potential accuracy problems, though his respectable 64.4 completion percentage last year was the lowest of his three-year career.

Tebow has made it clear he returned for a senior season to win another championship, not to bolster his NFL stock. But the offseason hiring of the NFL-bred Loeffler, also a former Detroit Lions quarterbacks coach, and the implementation of pro-style, under-center sets in the spread offense are nods from the team that helping his future is important.

Tebow says he and Loeffler are "mixing and matching" different thoughts during practices. The development of their relationship all spring will be significant after the loss of offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, now the Mississippi State head coach who fostered a close relationship with Tebow.

"He's worked more so on [my] footwork and some of the drops, and the hitches off those drops," Tebow said. "Some of the things he's done in the past that have helped. I think he will really help me. ... It's not too much throwing mechanics, more footwork and body position."

To focus on a quarterback's throwing motion without accounting for the entire body is foolish, Loeffler said.

Loeffler has gotten strict orders from Coach Urban Meyer to "don't [mess Tebow] up," he said, which is partly why changes to Tebow's quarterbacking won't be drastic.

The way Loeffler sees it, Tebow throws the ball well enough already. Just a little changing is in order.

"Throwing a football's exactly like hitting a golf ball. It's all body," Loeffler said. "So what we're trying to do is trying to incorporate the lower half into throwing."

One change is clear, at least in Brantley's mind Loeffler is teaching the quarterbacks some on-field aspects previous coaches never did.

"I never thought my mechanics were that bad until I got here," said Brantley, a redshirt sophomore and Tebow's successor. "He's switched up so much on me. It's really paying off. I'm using my legs and my entire body instead of just my arm."

Read Jeremy Fowler's blog at OrlandoSentinel.com/swampthings and e-mail him at jfowler@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/orl-sportsfbcuf05040509apr05,0,5856954.story

keg in kc
04-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Why would he want to throw a mechanic?

bdeg
04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Why would he want to throw a mechanic?

Good practice, like a baseball player warming up wit 2 bats. Just don't try to get your car fixed during mechanics throwing season, the rates are ridiculous.

L.A. Chieffan
04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
even jesus tinkered with his miracles from time to time

BigCatDaddy
04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I bet my paperboy still has a better throwing motion.

Reaper16
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
That's nice of the program to go out of their way to making him an NFL player.

Spicy McHaggis
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I probably would have worked on it before now. Will this affect the jump pass?

ChiefsCountry
04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
That's nice of the program to go out of their way to making him an NFL player.

Meyer is realizing he needs to recruit some pro-style QBs to keep the program on top I bet.

Deberg_1990
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Why does he need to worry about his throwing motion? Surely his "moxie" will make him a top 5 pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Meyer is realizing he needs to recruit some pro-style QBs to keep the program on top I bet.

Bingo.

If you're Matt Barkley, and you can go to USC or Florida, knowing that you've got a great shot at being a pro QB with your skill set, you'd be an idiot to go to UF

Sfeihc
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
MGOBLUE! Gator Boy!

bdeg
04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Bingo.

If you're Matt Barkley, and you can go to USC or Florida, knowing that you've got a great shot at being a pro QB with your skill set, you'd be an idiot to go to UF

Terrelle Pryor was in a similar situation. He's probably the one to make spread coaches think twice.

DaKCMan AP
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM

John Brantley is a pro-style QB and was the #3 QB and a 4-star recruit coming out of high school in 2007.