PDA

View Full Version : Education Conservatives: what news outlets do you trust?

Direckshun
04-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I know you all rail against the liberal media.

But I also know you get your information from somewhere.

I am keeping this OP as a running tally of what news outlets conservatives find reliable, and as Kotter put it:
highyly reputable or credible source for objective and balanced political coverage.

Outlets conservatives trust:

Fox - mlyonsd
CBS - mlyonsd
ABC - mlyonsd
NBC - mlyonsd, Mr. Kotter
PBS - mlyonsd
Drudge Report - Chief Faithful
WSJ - Mr. Kotter
NYT - Mr. Kotter
CNN - Mr. Kotter
RealClearPolitics - Mr. Kotter
Politico - Mr. Kotter
Newsweek - Mr. Kotter
Washington Post - Mr. Kotter

mlyonsd
04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Fox
CBS
ABC
NBC
PBS - McGlauflin

I don't get a paper. We're rural and they would be delivered a day late.

I wouldn't call all of the above "reliable" since they all have their obvious biases.

Chief Faithful
04-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Moveon.org, I find it reliable to the Liberal talking points of the day.

Drudgereport is usually a daily read.

Mr. Kotter
04-06-2009, 02:02 PM
I use the shotgun approach....some from reputable, if biased, mainstream outlets on both sides--I usually check the WSJ and NYT for instance for newspapers. For TV, I generally check CNN or NBC--and stay away from FOX and MSNBC. For websites, Realclearpolitics and Politico.

If I'm pressed for time, generally I go to Newsweek and the WashingtonPost. Sometimes I'll check lunatic fringe sites to see what idiots on both sides are saying, if a story gets big....otherwise I avoid them.

Baby Lee
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't believe anything I read at face value. I read the text, look for 'fudge words' [ie, many say, could have the effect of, anything in passive voice, etc] and suspiciously sculpted 'quotes,' then head out to various sources for countervailing analysis.

Among those, I'd include; Sullivan, Douhat, Reihan, Goldberg, Kos, DU, Bartcop, Huffpo, Finke, Hitchens, Estrich, Morris . . . Noonan and Paglia provide perspective.

Don't have much use at all for; Krugman, David Brooks, Free Republic, Rich, Dowd, Charen, Krauthammer, Kristol.

I watch TDS and Colbert nightly, but I put as much stock in what they say as fact or news as I do an episode of 30 Rock or The Simpsons. I probably put more 'credence' in South Park so far as that goes.

jiveturkey
04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
This place is actually a decent place to start for me in the morning. You get the headlines, analysis from some of the local smart guys, crazy shit too. The KC Star page is also a morning stop. I'm not conservative though.

SBK
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
You have to filter everything. I usually get my news here, drudgereport and from time to time I get good stuff on twitter.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Anything but MSM.

Taco John
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I use the shotgun approach....some from reputable, if biased, mainstream outlets on both sides--I usually check the WSJ and NYT for instance for newspapers. For TV, I generally check CNN or NBC--and stay away from FOX and MSNBC. For websites, Realclearpolitics and Politico.

If I'm pressed for time, generally I go to Newsweek and the WashingtonPost. Sometimes I'll check lunatic fringe sites to see what idiots on both sides are saying, if a story gets big....otherwise I avoid them.

This thread is for conservatives, not for wishy washy self-proclaimed Democrats who have no political compass.

SNR
04-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I listen to NPR all day in my office, so that's usually when I find out about the news stories that happen.

I don't quite understand what conservatives hate about it so much.

Count Zarth
04-07-2009, 05:30 AM
wpi

InChiefsHell
04-07-2009, 06:05 AM
I listen to a lot of talk radio, specifically Laura Ingraham and Rush...but usually when I hear a story, I'll go to google to confirm that they are not spinning the hell out of it...and usually I think they are pretty straight but there have been times where I think they exaggerate or are not quite telling the whole story.

IF I watch the news, I do indeed go to Fox news or CNN.

...but the largest amount of news I get is actually here on the planet.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Sometimes, I wonder how anyone can really know the whole truth from news sources alone.

Mr. Kotter
04-07-2009, 06:51 AM
Direckshun--

Perhaps it's beyond your cognitive capacity to understand, but there is an important distinction between "getting information" and citing "news outlets that you trust."

FWIW, my list was of sources I use to "get information." I don't fully "trust" any of them....because credibility, accuracy, and objectivity are all subject to the biases of the individual columnist, reporter, editors, and headline writers--the vast majority of which reside on the left side of the political isle.

Of course, that doesn't serve your purpose of attempting to make your silly lame-assed point...so I'll expect you to selectively ignore that distinction.

Dallas Chief
04-07-2009, 08:38 AM
www.infowars.com

:D:D:DROFLROFLROFL

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 08:44 AM
"Trust"? None of them.

patteeu
04-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't trust any news outlet completely. I learned a long time ago that there can be a dramatic difference between a politician's speech that you watched live on C-Span and the speech as reflected in tomorrow morning's news papers/broadcasts, for example.

Fat Elvis
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Try Wikipedia:D

BucEyedPea
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't trust any news outlet completely. I learned a long time ago that there can be a dramatic difference between a politician's speech that you watched live on C-Span and the speech as reflected in tomorrow morning's news papers/broadcasts, for example.

Or how the pundits on tv have to tell us what a live speech really means after we hear live in real-time. ROFL

Garcia Bronco
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Regardless I don't think you can trust any of them. Remember at the end of the day they are salesmen trying to make a sale to make more money just like any other business.

Calcountry
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM

I am keeping this OP as a running tally of what news outlets conservatives find reliable, and as Kotter put it:

Fox - mlyonsd
CBS - mlyonsd
ABC - mlyonsd
PBS - mlyonsd
WSJ - Mr. Kotter
NYT - Mr. Kotter
CNN - Mr. Kotter
Politico - Mr. Kotter
Newsweek - Mr. Kotter
Washington Post - Mr. KotterMSNBC of course, they are fair and balanced witht the truth. The truth is all I have to see, I don't need to listen to anything else. I just love the way Rachel Maddow smiles.
She knows everything.

bango
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I tend to stick with the Onion and Uncyclopedia.

Velvet_Jones
04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I get all my news from Jon Stewart and Stephen Cobert.

bango
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
I get all my news from Jon Stewart and Stephen Cobert.

I am not sure if I would go as far as to call what they do news.

patteeu
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought of a couple of news sites that I have pretty good confidence in for news on our foreign wars. Michael Yon and the Long War Journal both seem pretty reliable.

bevischief
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Alternet, worldnetdaily,

Calcountry
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Fox - mlyonsd
CBS - mlyonsd
ABC - mlyonsd
PBS - mlyonsd
WSJ - Mr. Kotter
NYT - Mr. Kotter
CNN - Mr. Kotter
Politico - Mr. Kotter
Newsweek - Mr. Kotter
Washington Post - Mr. KotterMSNBC. Rachael Madow needs to be sodomized by one of her fans.

StcChief
04-17-2009, 08:25 PM
no.. none. option?