PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Update on Chiefs' Training Camp: "Glitch" in move to St. Joe

T-post Tom
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Chiefs deal hitting some friction
by Alyson E. Raletz
Monday, April 6, 2009

The Missouri Department of Economic Development could be using its weight to bring negotiations between the Kansas City Chiefs and Missouri Western State University to a close.

The Associated Press tonight is reporting that a “glitch has arisen in the Kansas City Chiefs' plans to move their training facility from Wisconsin to Missouri in exchange for state tax credits.”

At issue is the $25 million state tax credit proposal the Missouri Development Finance Board approved in December for the Chiefs, who agreed to turn over $10 million to Western for an indoor practice stadium. Former Gov. Matt Blunt and three state department directors signed off on the deal, which holds the Chiefs to keeping its camp in St. Joseph for five years.

The original proposal from the Chiefs and the Jackson County Sports Authority would move its camp from River Falls, Wis., to St. Joseph for five years beginning in 2010 with five one-year renewal options after that for a possible commitment of up to 10 years.

The News-Press in late March reported that Chiefs and Western officials still were amidst negotiations on the camp’s operating agreement and who would pony up the $2 million in tax credit fees.

Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder, chairman of the finance board, at the time said he believed the project was in jeopardy as a result.

Apparently, the Department of Economic Development is stepping in.

“But a spokesman (of) the Missouri Department of Economic Development said Monday that no tax credits will be issued until the Chiefs commit to keeping their camp in Missouri for 10 years. Spokesman John Fougere (foo-ZHAYR') says that was the original intent of the Missouri Development Finance Board,” according to the AP.

Sen. Charlie Shields, R-St. Joseph, told the News-Press that Western-Chiefs negotiations were near completion after a meeting with Economic Development Director Linda Martinez Monday night in his office and he didn’t believe the project was in danger.

“I think we’re very close to having this thing put together,” Mr. Shields said.

He said if Western agrees to a five-year contract with five one-year options, then the contract again will go before the finance board.

However, he questioned whether the board could prevent the issuance of the credits if the Chiefs didn’t agree to a straight 10-year commitment.

“As long as it meets the elements of what it voted on (in December), then it’s good to go,” Mr. Shields said.

A spokesman for Mr. Kinder said the Chiefs intend on a 10-year commitment to St. Joseph, but the five one-year options were included to protect all parties involved, particularly the university.

“These efforts by the department could put this project in jeopardy,” Gary McElyea said.

Count Zarth
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
This would be awesome. Kansas City is going to be hell in July. I'd just as soon go to River Falls every year.

Reaper16
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
This would be awesome. Kansas City is going to be hell in July. I'd just as soon go to River Falls every year.
This.

MotherFUCK St. Joe. I don't need to see Mo Western gaining any kind of recruiting advantage.

OnTheWarpath58
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM

This.

I won't go if it's in STJ. It'll be a fucking circus, and hotter than hell.

River Falls IS Chiefs training camp.

Count Zarth
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
This.

I won't go if it's in STJ. It'll be a fucking circus

This is what scares me. Everyone and their cousin coming to Chiefs training camp.

I wonder if the Chiefs are trying to make a few bucks via the sheer numbers that will rape the campus by having it in MO.

RustShack
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I personally like how they have to leave on a bus together and spend a lot of time together.

WilliamTheIrish
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Fuck St. Joe. Place is a friggin dump. 180% humidity and 98* temps in August. Add in the high % of methmonkeys and inbreds and I'd rather they held it in East StL.

RustShack
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
For the actual players, would the heat help get them in better shape or would it be worse on them?

Baconeater
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I wonder if the Chiefs are trying to make a few bucks via the sheer numbers that will rape the campus by having it in MO.
No question about it.

Count Zarth
04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Fuck St. Joe. Place is a friggin dump. 180% humidity and 98* temps in August. Add in the high % of methmonkeys and inbreds and I'd rather they held it in East StL.

LOL what are the restaurants/hotels like?

WilliamTheIrish
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
For the actual players, would the heat help get them in better shape or would it be worse on them?

Ask Corey Stringer. Although heat stroke may not have been only a part of the conditions that surrounded his death.

Count Zarth

Trust me it's already hot enough in River Falls.

OnTheWarpath58

I say it's worse.

Signed,

Korey Stringer

OnTheWarpath58
04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Ask Corey Stringer. Although heat stroke may not have been only a part of the conditions that surrounded his death.

I say it's worse.

Signed,

Korey Stringer

Dammit. Bested by seconds.

beavis
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
This is what scares me. Everyone and their cousin coming to Chiefs training camp.

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

KCrockaholic
04-06-2009, 11:06 PM
**** St. Joe. Place is a friggin dump. 180% humidity and 98* temps in August. Add in the high % of methmonkeys and inbreds and I'd rather they held it in East StL.

Sure why not? If you want them to be shot.

macdawg
04-07-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd like to see them go to Warrensburg or St. Joe so I could go see some training camp.

HypnotizedMonkey
04-07-2009, 06:10 AM
I like St. Joe but sometimes I look like an imbred crackhead zombie.. so that might explain it. Hopefully they have camp there so the rest of the imbred crackhead Chiefs fans in St. Joe can see some camp action. It sure would make the trip to camp a little more favorable for the fans IN KC as well.

Sully
04-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Is it wrong that I hope this falls through and they stay in River Falls?

macdawg
04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
unless your someone who can take some time off of work every year to go to River Falls, why wouldn't you want it close to home so you could go watch training camp on your days off work? how kickass would that be? I am assuming you guys wanting it to stay in River Falls make the trip each year, something most Chief fans cannot do.

Count Zarth
04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
unless your someone who can take some time off of work every year to go to River Falls, why wouldn't you want it close to home so you could go watch training camp on your days off work? how kickass would that be? I am assuming you guys wanting it to stay in River Falls make the trip each year, something most Chief fans cannot do.

The less people at training camp the better.

Alton deFlat
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM

No!

OnTheWarpath58
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm right there with you.

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Of course you do with someone else paying the bill. Story of your life.

1adam1238
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I enjoy the trip to river falls but then again, coming from Nevada...St. Joe won't matter. Though the heat is nothing to get excited about.

Count Zarth
04-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Of course you do with someone else paying the bill. Story of your life.

You suggest I should pay my own way on business trips?

If my employer wants to pay for anything, more power to me. Especially shitty restaurants and hotels.

T-post Tom
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
810 (Keitzman) is bashing the Chiefs on this right now.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
810 (Keitzman) is bashing the Chiefs on this right now.

Ya, I was listening to that.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
This would be a heatbreaker (to me) if this fell through.... I could literally walk to Training camp everyday if I wanted to.

St. Joe has really any food you could want (minus seafood) Claythan.... the whole Belt Hwy (main strip through town) is basically car lots and Food joints.

There is a few decent brand new Hotels (Stoney Creek, Hampton, and a Remodeled Ramada) very close by.

Basically the bar scene in St. Joe sucks though.... really bad. Horrible bars. If you wanna drink, go to a restuarant.

Shag
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd love to see this fall through. River Falls is my only chance to see the Chiefs most years... :(

Demonpenz
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
This would be a heatbreaker (to me) if this fell through.... I could literally walk to Training camp everyday if I wanted to.

St. Joe has really any food you could want (minus seafood) Claythan.... the whole Belt Hwy (main strip through town) is basically car lots and Food joints.

There is a few decent brand new Hotels (Stoney Creek, Hampton, and a Remodeled Ramada) very close by.

Basically the bar scene in St. Joe sucks though.... really bad. Horrible bars. If you wanna drink, go to a restuarant.

Dude Snakebite!

Nzoner
04-07-2009, 04:37 PM

It would be a heartbreaker for a lot of local business as well,personally I just want to see training camp for a Missouri team in a Missouri city and quit watching the dollars go to Wisconsin.

St Joe is not near as bad as a few have made it out to be and having been to River Falls it's a helluva lot better than that place with way better restaurants and lodging.

Having TC in a Missouri city(whichever one) may not be a vacation if you will but at least we'd be supporting a good percentage of local business with our tourism dollars.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
It would be a heartbreaker for a lot of local business as well,personally I just want to see training camp for a Missouri team in a Missouri city and quit watching the dollars go to Wisconsin.

St Joe is not near as bad as a few have made it out to be and having been to River Falls it's a helluva lot better than that place with way better restaurants and lodging.

Having TC in a Missouri city(whichever one) may not be a vacation if you will but at least we'd be supporting a good percentage of local business with our tourism dollars.
I'd love for camp to be in a MO city, as long as that city is not privy to an MIAA school.

Nzoner
04-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd love for camp to be in a MO city, as long as that city is not privy to an MIAA school.

Your concern is a valid one,sure beats the hell out of "it's too hot" :rolleyes:

cmh6476
04-07-2009, 08:14 PM
We've got it all:

Mexican: Chipotle
Italian: Fazoli's
Seafood: Red Lobster
Chinese: Panda Express

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
SO basically KK had the ex Gov on to rectify the situation. He says that the contract states that the chiefs HAVE to be at MWSU for 5 years, and then there is a 1 year at a time agreement after that. (Basically meaning the chiefs could opt out IF MWSU lets the facilities go to crap after 5 years). The Chiefs would HAVE to keep training camp IN Missouri for 10 years.

The new Gov can eat a dick, that piece of shit.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
We've got it all:

Mexican: Chipotle
Italian: Fazoli's
Seafood: Red Lobster
Chinese: Panda ExpressSt. Joe is like the fast food/restaurant capitol of the world. It's fucking ridiculous. I think everyone in this town spends every penny of their disposable income on eating out.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Dude Snakebite!Haha..Snakebite has to be the worst f*cking bar in the world.

It's terrible man. I went in their once a long ass time ago...maybe it wasn't the Snakebite back then..but whatever it was sucked hard.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
The Tap Room is actually a great bar, I forgot about it.

Clean, Classy, New, Smoke Free, Good Location.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd love for camp to be in a MO city, as long as that city is not privy to an MIAA school.Hells yeah. Time for some top notch facilities for the good guys from Joe Town.

I mean, don't you NWMSU guys get tired of kicking the dogshit out of us every year?

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:21 PM
The Tap Room is actually a great bar, I forgot about it.I went in there once.

The manager/wtf ever was telling me about how they have a great food selection, and then some black dude was out in the foyer shining shoes for $7.

"Yeah man, just bring whatever shoes in you want shined..bring in 10 at a time, he'll shine 'em all".

And the TapRoom was waaaaaaaayyy better when it was Manchesters and they had $10 all you can drink nights. You wanna talk about a packed ass bar..

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Ya, that shoe shine thing was sooo weird... I don't think it's there anymore.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Ya, that shoe shine thing was sooo weird... I don't think it's there anymore.
The really weird part is that they're also a limo rental/car consignment lot.

I just go to The First Ward or Kelly's.

cmh6476
04-07-2009, 08:24 PM
also, the real answer is Boudreaux's, Barbosa's, Galvin's Dinnerhouse, La Dolce Vita @ 36th St, Hunan's, Hoof and Horn, and I'm probably missing a couple others.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:26 PM
also, the real answer is Boudreaux's, Barbosa's, Galvin's Dinnerhouse, La Dolce Vita @ 36th St, Hunan's, Hoof and Horn, and I'm probably missing a couple others.

Yes, those are the Higher End (great Food) restaurants of the city.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
also, the real answer is Boudreaux's, Barbosa's, Galvin's Dinnerhouse, La Dolce Vita @ 36th St, Hunan's, Hoof and Horn, and I'm probably missing a couple others.All those are good choices.

Every time I go to Boudreaux's I end up getting the Chicken fried Chicken. Sometimes I really want to branch out and try something new..but it's just perfect every time.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
mmmm aligator bites.

I usually get stuck on that Chicken Po'Boy.

cmh6476
04-07-2009, 08:32 PM
All those are good choices.

Every time I go to Boudreaux's I end up getting the Chicken fried Chicken. Sometimes I really want to branch out and try something new..but it's just perfect every time.

also my favorite, but sometimes I'll opt for the crawfish etoufee or chicken creole. Both also excellent choices.

Pablo
mmmm aligator bites.

I usually get stuck on that Chicken Po'Boy.Yeah..I like that Cajun Chicken po boy, but sometimes they slather it with so much mayonnaise it's unbearable.

The only thing I ever got there that I didn't thoroughly enjoy was the jalapeno crab bites.

It was like soggy cat food shoved in a slightly charred jalapeno shell. Not so good.

Pablo
also my favorite, but sometimes I'll opt for the crawfish etoufee or chicken creole. Both also excellent choices.I got the Shrimp Creole the last time I was there. Pretty good stuff.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
OOOHHH BONUS:

IF ANY OF Y'ALL WANNA GET SOME SWEET CHIEFS INK WHILE UP IN JOETOWN, YOU SHOULD HEAD DOWN TO THE GRAVE. I'M SURE JIMMY ISRAEL WILL HOOK YOU UP WITH A FLAMING NEON KC LOGO FO SHO.

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Jimmy is like a celebrity in JoeTown.

cmh6476
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
too bad sports car bar isn't still around :(

bonus points for anyone that remembers that bars name before it became sports car :o

StcChief
04-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Fuck St. Joe. Place is a friggin dump. 180% humidity and 98* temps in August. Add in the high % of methmonkeys and inbreds and I'd rather they held it in East StL.no E.STL.
SIU-E would work for me :)

Pablo
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
too bad sports car bar isn't still around :(

bonus points for anyone that remembers that bars name before it became sports car :oEh..wasn't there some bar called Bedrock a while ago..

Molitoth
04-07-2009, 08:53 PM
The Painted Pony FTW.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Hells yeah. Time for some top notch facilities for the good guys from Joe Town.

I mean, don't you NWMSU guys get tired of kicking the dogshit out of us every year?
Fuck no, we don't.

cmh6476
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
The Painted Pony FTW.

:clap:

Pablo
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
The Painted Pony FTW.Ahhh..I'm in the totally wrong location.

Down on S169.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
**** no, we don't.I figured as much.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I figured as much.
C'mon, that's like asking a Jayhawk fan whether it ever gets old beating MU.

I do honestly want to see the Mo West program continue to improve, as it only helps the conference as a whole. But the recruiting advantage that Mo West would gain from the Chiefs camp and the new facilities is too much for my tastes. And if I, as a Bearcat fan, feel that way, then think about how much fans of UCM, Washburn and UNO are going to feel.

RustShack
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
So if TC is in Missouri will the players be free to flee after practices instead of eating and bunking together?

Nzoner
04-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Pinzino's First Ward,his steaks and bbq are :thumb:

Nzoner
04-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Eh..wasn't there some bar called Bedrock a while ago..

Bedrocks just North of Frederick,and sometime before that it was called Jeremiah's Crossing,a couple of my friends owned that one.I miss those days but it's inevitable that Corporate America takes over.

cmh6476
04-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Pinzino's First Ward,his steaks and bbq are :thumb:

ahhhh, yes. See, I told you I missed a couple.

cmh6476
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Bedrocks just North of Frederick,and sometime before that it was called Jeremiah's Crossing,a couple of my friends owned that one.I miss those days but it's inevitable that Corporate America takes over.

wasnt bedrocks where all the cops hung out? That was before my time on the bar scene. My first experience at a bar was mid-90s when I was in High School at the Round-Up, FWIW.

Nzoner
04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
wasnt bedrocks where all the cops hung out? That was before my time on the bar scene. My first experience at a bar was mid-90s when I was in High School at the Round-Up, FWIW.

Never once went to Bedrocks

cmh6476
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought Bedrocks was at the location of Showbiz Pizza. Didn't that have a honeymoon as a bar following the closing of Showbiz?

Boy do I sure have some fond memories of Showbiz :)

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
So if TC is in Missouri will the players be free to flee after practices instead of eating and bunking together?

No.

The Chiefs said early on that they liked the idea of Missouri Western because they could use the dorms and basically do exactly what they did in River Falls.

Raised On Riots
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Yep, they're selfish. And fuck you Wendler; I hope you precious media-types get overrun by women with mullets and screaming kids ALL FUCKING DAY at Chiefs Camp, wherever it may be.

That tears it! :cuss:

We've got local college here in the nice, cool mountains of Arizona. The community would welcome the opportunity in a New York fucking Minute, and the first time the Chiefs did camp here, they would dig-in for a long fucking time to come; this is where you want to be in August, believe you me.

The Crusade is underway.
Print it!
:fire:

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
st joseph just passed a tax helping teachers and building schools. I see they are really turning things around there

Molitoth
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
st joseph just passed a tax helping teachers and building schools. I see they are really turning things around there

Nice sarcasm, (I hope)....

Both of those issues lost, which is f*cking retarded of this city's residents. This town is so full of old people without kids and they want it to stay that way apparently. So many people move to KC because of the Quality Schools you get down there.... and these people Vote NO on a very very small tax they are ALREADY paying to help fund teachers salaries????? WTG morons, I hope you feel happy about the layoffs that are about to happen.

People Vote NO on a very small tax to help build 2 BRAND NEW schools? Do you WANT this towns schools to suck dick? Well congrats! I hope the residents here realize that 2 elementary schools are shutting down and the districts are going to become even more crammed. I hope you teach your kids a lot at home, because from now on at school they will be receiving less attention. (Oh yes,.... I would say Goodbye to those extra Tutoring sessions the teachers were offering students because there is no more money to pay for those). Look at all of the money those elementary teachers make.... yes the town were so correct in screwing them even more.

I thought this city was turning around, but after last nights poll results... I am irrate! Less then 20k voters for these issues as well, pathetic.

/rant off

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Yep, they're selfish. And fuck you Wendler; I hope you precious media-types get overrun by women with mullets and screaming kids ALL FUCKING DAY at Chiefs Camp, wherever it may be.

Why? It just makes the job more difficult. I don't even want to think about what parking might be like.

Molitoth
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Why? It just makes the job more difficult. I don't even want to think about what parking might be like.

Dude the first week of training camp might be super busy, but the newness will wear off and it will settle down. I haven't been to River Falls but I would imagine there is just as much, if not more parking at MWSU.

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
i am glad my mom is retired from the sjsd that is embarrassing they didn't pass those taxes. People there still think teachers get paid too much

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM

What JOB? What you do is a HOBBY. Get over it.

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
What JOB? What you do is a HOBBY. Get over it.

Dude, I do get paid, you know? I wouldn't do it for free. Covering camp is no walk in the park. Especially for two weeks.

Raised On Riots
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Dude, I do get paid, you know? I wouldn't do it for free. Covering camp is no walk in the park. Especially for two weeks.

Yes, but vintage copies of "Swank" don't exactly pay the bills, now do they? :D

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, but vintage copies of "Swank" don't exactly pay the bills, now do they? :D

The accepted joke is "star wars action figures." Get it right.

Raised On Riots
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
The accepted joke is "star wars action figures." Get it right.

I'm thinking "Swank" would have more "pull" with you these days, yes? :D

Nzoner
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Dude the first week of training camp might be super busy, but the newness will wear off and it will settle down. I haven't been to River Falls but I would imagine there is just as much, if not more parking at MWSU.

More,a helluva lot more

htismaqe
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Yeah, covering camp is like sweating the factory 40 hours a week. ROFL

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, covering camp is like sweating the factory 40 hours a week. ROFL

You basically have no idea what you're talking about. When they have two-a-days it's a 10 to 12-hour day for me. I don't get to lounge around between practices. Last year I barely even left my hotel room if I wasn't going to practice.