PDA

View Full Version : Life You don't hear this every day.

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I was in the grocery store tonight to buy some Powerball tickets since I think I've got a good chance of winning this week. As I was putting my change in my billfold, the woman behind me stepped up. She got a Western Union form for transferring money out of a little display kiosk on the counter. The counter lady said, "You need to fill that out."

The woman said, "I don't read or write."

The clerk started filling out the form for her, but wow. How many people can't read or write in this day and age? This was not a recent immigrant or anything, either. It was a woman who had obviously been born in the U.S. She was about my age.

Pioli Zombie
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, who ever heard of illiteracy?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
04-06-2009, 11:09 PM
I went to look up the US literacy rates, but couldn't read what it said.

Der Flöprer
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm surprised she was as forthcoming with it. I can't imagine even 1% of the population is illiterate. Time for a google check.

Guru
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I went to look up the US literacy rates, but couldn't read what it said.how did you look it up much less type this then?:)

Der Flöprer
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
1%. Which is a tie for 17th globally. Number 1? Why, Cuba of course!!!! :spock:

KcMizzou
Stop being such an asshole. I can't read or write either.

Jenson71
I've never personally met anyone who couldn't read or write.

In the early 1990s, there was a Robert De Niro movie called Stanley and Iris. His character couldn't read or write either, and I think it gave a bit of a forum for the issue, enough to show it was a problem for enough people to make it into a movie and have people speak out about it. Unfortunately, the movie screws up in the end, so turn it off before he goes to Detriot if you are going to watch it (it's really good other than the ending).

OnTheWarpath58
04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
how did you look it up much less type this then?:)

Wait. What?

:D

Baconeater
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
While it's pathetic, I can believe the writing part, but how can you not be able to read?

Pioli Zombie
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
While it's pathetic, I can believe the writing part, but how can you not be able to read?

Were you just born or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Were you just born or something?
Posted via Mobile Device

Do newborns not have a strong understanding of reading?

KCChiefsMan
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I dont know anyone that dumb. But I'm confident I've had encounters with them. 20% of Americans cant even point out the USA on a world map.

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I voted yes, 25 and younger.

I have 18 Kindergarteners who can read to save their life.

Sure... the easy stuff like cat and dog they can do after they struggle with it for a bit but have them try and read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and see how far they get.

TinyEvel
recently, something like 40 percent of women who were "in shape" chose to give up "the ability to read" over losing their figure.

THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA!!! :cuss:

beavis
I bet she gets really frustrated proofreading Nick Athan's articles.

Pioli Zombie
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Anyone who has not heard of this being an issue has either not read a newspaper or watched the news for 25 years
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
04-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I voted yes, 25 and younger.

I have 18 Kindergarteners who can read to save their life.

Sure... the easy stuff like cat and dog they can do after they struggle with it for a bit but have them try and read A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens and see how far they get.:spock:

Baby steps, man... LMAO

Rain Man
04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Anyone who has not heard of this being an issue has either not read a newspaper or watched the news for 25 years
Posted via Mobile Device

Ironically, those who are acutely aware of this being an issue have also not read a newspaper for 25 years.

Dave Lane
04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I was in the grocery store tonight to buy some Powerball tickets since I think I've got a good chance of winning this week. As I was putting my change in my billfold, the woman behind me stepped up. She got a Western Union form for transferring money out of a little display kiosk on the counter. The counter lady said, "You need to fill that out."

The clerk started filling out the form for her, but wow. How many people can't read or write in this day and age? This was not a recent immigrant or anything, either. It was a woman who had obviously been born in the U.S. She was about my age.

I met this little bald headed person on a plane yesterday that I'm pretty sure couldn't read or write.

Course they were about 4 months old but I don't want that to be an excuse.

Baconeater
04-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
You can't not read and still be able to exist. No way.

KcMizzou
04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
You can't not read and still be able to exist. No way.Maybe if you're fantastic at sports... maybe.

pr_capone
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
A hooker.

A hooker can survive in this world without being able to read or write.

cdcox
04-06-2009, 11:46 PM
About 12% of adult Americans have document literacy skills that are below basic. Having basic level skills would allow you use a TV guide to find out what shows are on at a specific time.

http://www.air.org/publications/documents/SAAL_KY_web.pdf

acesn8s
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Do newborns not have a strong understanding of reading?http://www.yourbabycanread.com/default.aspx?adid=fox1001

Jenson71
04-07-2009, 12:36 AM
About 12% of adult Americans have document literacy skills that are below basic. Having basic level skills would allow you use a TV guide to find out what shows are on at a specific time.

http://www.air.org/publications/documents/SAAL_KY_web.pdf

That's incredible. I wonder if that includes people who are not mentally able to read.

Rausch
04-07-2009, 03:20 AM
I've never personally met anyone who couldn't read or write.

Depends.

Does the Planet count as meeting someone?...

Redrum_69
04-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Hell, all youd have to do is go over to WPI...if you want to find a whole gaggle of people who cant read or write..

or just ask claythan to write something

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Literacy is overrated.

Hound333
04-07-2009, 05:59 AM
My wife works at a school that is 90% low income. Of her 14 students 8 have parents that do not speak english at home. 3 students have parents that cannot read or write but grew up in the US. She only has 3 students whose parents can help her students at home in any way.

Wow, I am depressed now.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-07-2009, 06:06 AM

She could have just been lazy, or worried that she would fill out the form incorrectly.

I used the play the lottery all the time. Since I have stopped, I have been more blessed than I could have ever imagined.

Pioli Zombie
04-07-2009, 06:16 AM
I bet Larry Johnson can't read or write. That's why he developed his own form of communication. For example, spitting a drink into a womans face means "Hey baby, what's happening" in Larry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Alex's Losses
04-07-2009, 06:25 AM
I bet she gets really frustrated proofreading Nick "Assclown" Athan's articles.

Hell, all youd have to do is go over to WPI...if you want to find a whole gaggle of people who cant read or write..

or just ask claythan to write something

The upside is I get to claim I'm bilingual on my resume.

Plus our secret "premium members dialect" ensures secrecy.

stumppy
04-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Several years ago when I was in the Insurance Business I was taking an application for a policy for this older man. I was at his house, way down in the sticks along the Mo. - Ark. border. When it came time for his signature he took the pen and promptly put an X on the application. I told him that was fine I just needed to get someone to witness it......like maybe his wife. She was happy to do it. She promptly put an X down as her signature.I ended up having to get one of his neighbors to witness it.

Pioli Zombie
04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
She could have just been lazy, or worried that she would fill out the form incorrectly.

I used the play the lottery all the time. Since I have stopped, I have been more blessed than I could have ever imagined.

I used to have a lot of money. Then I got divorced and I'm drowning. But man I'm blessed more than I could have ever imagined. I'm out, baby!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo
04-07-2009, 07:30 AM
kjfjdos dyhyfyyeewiw dhfue fhff aetrtt fhfye llgkgui heyeu wydyydd?
Posted via Mobile Device

kc rush
04-07-2009, 08:01 AM

I've been blessed because I've apparently won the World Lottery a few times. Just ask my friend Mbufu Sunatu. As soon as I can borrow enough money from my family and friends, I'll pay the transfer fee and be rich.

Chazno
04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
X

LaChapelle
04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I've worked in customer service. If I was to wager on it, I would say she was either lazy or manipulative. Her reading and writing skills were adequate.

Crush
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
The ability to read and write is just another way for The Man to keep us down.

gblowfish
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
There are lots of guys on the CP who can read, but don't write worth spit!

HypnotizedMonkey
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
She was probably just lazy and didn't want to fill it out... I do that all the time.

deadbabyseal
04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I kin reed gud.

angelo
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I have work or interacted with someone who could not read.

When I was just out of high school I worked with a lady who could not read or write. She was very matter of fact about it.

I worked with her and by the time I moved on she could read on what I would say was a 6th grade level (that took about 18 months)

My cousin has dyslexia so bad he can not read. They just kept passing him so he could graduate.

I think it is more prevalent in the poorer areas (rural and inner city) because of lack of opportunity.

It is not always because of laziness.

Ang

seclark
04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
my great uncle can't read and the only thing he can write is his name.
he was pretty much blind until he had surgery on his eyes at the age of 56.
he's also got some kind of learning disability. lives by himself in the guest house on my property. i set his microwave at 99minutes, and when it runs down to 0, i set it for him again.
plays the guitar, piano and harmonica like a pro, just by listening to the radio and picking up the tune. keeps the tractor, mowers and other tools cleaned up and it great shape.
i wouldn't trade him for anything.
sec

SNR
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
The best part about making fun of illiterate people on the internet?

They'll never fucking know :D

rockymtnchief
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
My grandpa could only write his name. But get into a conversation with the guy and you'd swear he had a college degree. No topic was out of his grasp.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I deal with these kinda shit heads all day at work.

I work auto claims in Louisiana, and you wouldnt believe the amount of people that live in the Cajun backwood swamp areas that sound like the asst coach on Adam Sandler's "Waterboy". I've had grown 40+ yr old men request that I read them letters that we have sent them (because we keep copies of everything we send out). Because they can't read. I've seen people write letters to our claims office where they couldn't even manage to complete sentences or spell their own name correctly. I'm not joking.

Un****ingbelieveable really. I dont know how these ****ers manage to go about life. Seriously.