PDA

View Full Version : Other Games Sudoku Creator Could've Been a Millionare

t3chiefs
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
The creator of sudoku didn't think to trade mark the name!!!
should have trademarked it. :banghead:
I got this from a local newspaper and http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/top-news/8471-sudoku-creator-sees-game-blossom.html
WASHINGTON—And now, some numbers for Maki Kaji, the man who helped invent Sudoku: 1984—the year he created the puzzle, which was based on an American game called Numbers Place; 35—seconds it took for him to come up with the game’s Japanese name (“su” means number; “doku” means single); 0—trademarks that Kaji secured before his game was reproduced around the world. “Some friends said, ‘Maki, you should have trademarked Sudoku. You could have been a millionaire,’” Kaji told a crowd of about 50 this weekend during an appearance at the Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival in Washington. “I said: ‘No, that’s not what I want. I’m happy to see everyone enjoy Sudoku more easily.’” Not to worry. Kaji, 57, who owns a puzzle company called Nikoli, is doing just fine: He’s publishing new games, traveling the world to promote them (he was in Spain last week and Mozambique last month) and feeling the love from Sudoku devotees. Howard Garns, an American architect, is credited with inventing the basic concept in 1979, calling it Numbers Place. Much like The New York Times crossword puzzle, Sudoku games range from easy to difficult. Lisa Lawler, 43, a Census Bureau employee, and Mariyam Al-Shatti, 18, a Montgomery (Maryland) College student, thrust Sudoku books in Kaji’s face and asked for autographs. “I was already married,” he told the crowd, “so please understand that I did not come up with the name because I wanted to be single again!” Bada-bump. Kaji might not be a millionaire, but he maintains his sense of humor. Dressed in trendy gray jeans and a charcoal blazer, with a striped scarf around his neck, Kaji gamely tried to speak English but used a translator during an interview.

t3chiefs
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I wish I came up with that game, I would trademark it no matter how dumb it was!!! If i came up with it, and trademarked it, I would be out on a 40ft Grady White fishing boat with a B.C. Rich Zombie Guitar in my hand!

KC Jones
04-07-2009, 07:13 PM
It's probably good that he didn't since he didn't really invent the game...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

Leonhard Euler is sometimes incorrectly cited as the source of the puzzle, based on his related work with Latin squares.[4]

The modern puzzle was invented by an American architect, Howard Garns, in 1979 and published by Dell Magazines under the name "Numbers in Place."[5] It was popularized in 1986 by the Japanese puzzle company Nikoli, under the name Sudoku, meaning single number.[6] It became an international hit in 2005.[7]