PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Air Force One is in Baghdad for surprise Obama visit to the troops.

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/obama/index.html

Obama makes unannounced stop in Baghdad

<LI class=cnnhiliteheader>Story Highlights
Air Force One lands in Baghdad at 9:42 a.m. ET
Obama also visited Iraq during the campaign season
Obama arrived in Europe last week for a series of summits
Poll shows 79 percent of Americans feel Obama improving U.S. image abroad
(CNN) -- President Obama made an unannounced visit to Iraq on Tuesday.

The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. Ray Odierno, met Obama shortly after Air Force One landed in Baghdad about 4:42 p.m. local time (9:42 a.m. ET).

It's "great to see the troops," Obama said shortly after landing. "They're putting their heart and soul into the effort."

The main purpose of Obama's stop was to visit U.S. troops, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs noted. Among other things, Obama will participate in the awarding of 10 medals of valor while in Baghdad.

But Obama also wanted to discuss Iraq's political situation with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and Iraqi President Jalal Talibani, Gibbs added.
Obama planned to meet with al-Maliki at the U.S. military's Camp Victory base.

Another reason Obama chose to visit Iraq rather than Afghanistan is because of Iraq's proximity to Turkey, which Obama just visited, said Gibbs.

During the campaign season, Obama (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Barack_Obama) visited Iraq on a multi-stop overseas trip. That trip also included stops in Afghanistan, Jordan, Israel, Germany, France and the United Kingdom.

Obama's surprise stop in Iraq came at the conclusion of his first overseas trip as president.

In Obama's last scheduled stop in Turkey (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Turkey), the president held a joint news conference with Turkish President Abdullah Gul and addressed the Turkish parliament. Obama's trip to Turkey was his first presidential visit to a Muslim country.

Obama arrived in Europe last week for a series of summits.
He first met with world leaders at the G-20 summit in London to discuss the global financial crisis.

At the NATO summit in France and Germany, the president was hoping to get a boost in resources for the war in Afghanistan. He did get allies to pledge about 5,000 troops, but in the form of police and security trainers -- not combat troops.
In Prague, Czech Republic, at the European Union summit, Obama delivered a speech about nuclear nonproliferation to more than 20,000 people -- a boisterous crowd reminiscent of the campaign.

He even used the old campaign line "Yes, we can" to answer critics who think he can't follow through on ridding the world of nuclear weapons.
A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll found that 79 percent of Americans surveyed feel that Obama has had a "more positive" effect on how people in other countries view the U.S. Only 19 percent of those surveyed thought he's had a "more negative" effect.

The poll also indicated that only 35 percent of Americans currently approve of the U.S. war in Iraq; 65 percent disapprove.

Almost seven in 10 Americans agree with Obama's plan to remove most U.S. troops from Iraq by next August, while leaving a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops.

Chief Henry
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
babble babble babble

Simplex3
04-07-2009, 10:25 AM
"...a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops"? If I had that kind of residue on my kitchen counter I wouldn't be able to get in the room.

Also, this article never says he actually saw any real live troops. Was that just an omission or did it not happen?

InChiefsHell
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
"...a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops"? If I had that kind of residue on my kitchen counter I wouldn't be able to get in the room.

Also, this article never says he actually saw any real live troops. Was that just an omission or did it not happen?

Just heard a soundbite on the news of him shouting out to a crowd, I'm guessing of soldiers.

Simplex3
04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Just heard a soundbite on the news of him shouting out to a crowd, I'm guessing of soldiers.

Hopefully he'll sit down in the mess hall and have lunch with them or something similar. I think that type of thing goes miles further than giving a speech on a podium.

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM

The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. Ray Odierno, met Obama shortly after Air Force One landed in Baghdad about 4:42 p.m. local time (9:42 a.m. ET).

It's "great to see the troops," Obama said shortly after landing. "They're putting their heart and soul into the effort."

The main purpose of Obama's stop was to visit U.S. troops, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs noted. Among other things, Obama will participate in the awarding of 10 medals of valor while in Baghdad.

But Obama also wanted to discuss Iraq's political situation with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and Iraqi President Jalal Talibani, Gibbs added.

HonestChieffan
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
He cant stand not having a camera on him at all times

Bowser
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

When it comes to bitching about everything Obama does, this is truly an ironic statement.

Messier
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM

Why can't he return the office to the private, unpublicized status it once enjoyed?

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/images/2009/03/02/obama09loganmockbuntinggetty.jpg
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/world/2009/04/07/040709WSobamainiraq2.jpg&size=640x389&quality=60

Bowser
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Why can't he return the office to the private, unpublicized status it once enjoyed?

Heh.

Pitt Gorilla
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
He cant stand not having a camera on him at all timesButthurt Reps FTW.

SBK
04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm glad he did this, it means a lot to the troops to have their commander come say hello.

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
unnanounced? so he was going overseas and didn't intend to see the troops but changed his mind?

..or it was planned all along so people could fawn over doing the right thing as something special?

VAChief
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
unnanounced? so he was going overseas and didn't intend to see the troops but changed his mind?

..or it was planned all along so people could fawn over doing the right thing as something special?

I guess it depends on whether you want to assume or read into it something negative.

Amnorix
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Don't be an idiot. There's no reason to increase the security risk, and IIRC Bush made some unannounced trips to Iraq too.

InChiefsHell
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM

COme on man, he's not going to announce a trip to Baghdad...Bush didn't, but it was of course planned...

He's the President, for crap's sake. This is the only thing the man has done since he got elected that I applaud.

Good Job, Barack.

alanm
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm glad he did this, it means a lot to the troops to have their commander come say hello.Before he cuts their funding. :D

InChiefsHell
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Don't be an idiot. There's no reason to increase the security risk, and IIRC Bush made some unannounced trips to Iraq too.

That he did, I believe the first one was on Thanksgiving. I remember the video of him walking out and the troops going nuts. That was cool as hell, and I'm sure the troops really appreciate it.

|Zach|
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Drink it in folks.

This is not a joke account.

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:24 PM
COme on man, he's not going to announce a trip to Baghdad...Bush didn't, but it was of course planned...

He's the President, for crap's sake. This is the only thing the man has done since he got elected that I applaud.

Good Job, Barack.

i'm just staing it was planned all along

I already said it was the right thing to do.

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Drink it in folks.

This is not a joke account.

Is your I'm leaving the planet thread in the archives or HOC?

Pitt Gorilla
04-07-2009, 12:34 PM

..or it was planned all along so people could fawn over doing the right thing as something special?Seriously, what is wrong with you?

InChiefsHell
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Tangent - do you suppose that the secret service watches that crowd as closely as normal? Both he and Bush are seen mingling closely with the troops. I suppose one would think that would be the safest place he could be, among American troops I mean. I wonder if the Secret Service guys get to have a little time off when he does this...

|Zach|
04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Is your I'm leaving the planet thread in the archives or HOC?

Both interestingly enough, I had it put in HOC. We didn't get a good record of you wanting your entire post history deleted because it is a total embarrassment to you and your family.

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Tangent - do you suppose that the secret service watches that crowd as closely as normal? Both he and Bush are seen mingling closely with the troops. I suppose one would think that would be the safest place he could be, among American troops I mean. I wonder if the Secret Service guys get to have a little time off when he does this...

Absolutely he's safe...

I joined the military on the delayed entry program under Carter, and swore in under Reagan....troops will defend the President no matter where they stand politically..

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Both interestingly enough, I had it put in HOC. We didn't get a good record of you wanting your entire post history deleted because it is a total embarrassment to you and your family.

good point, I stuck up for you in that thread.

|Zach|
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
good point, I stuck up for you in that thread.

I used to stick up for you as well...

People misjudge other people in life.

stevieray
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I used to stick up for you as well...

People misjudge other people in life.

well, there you go.

Amnorix
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
i'm just staing it was planned all along

I already said it was the right thing to do.

Well, of course it was planned. It's not like the plane was in mid-air headed for England and Obama said "hey, I know, let's just drop in on Baghdad".

But what you're suggesting makes no sense.

Let me ask you this -- what do you think the preferences of (1) the Secret Service, and (2) the military, were? That he drop in without prior public notice, or that he book his complete itinerary two weeks ago?

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
looks like the press already has their iconic picture for the Iraq visit.
http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2009/obama_g20/obama_iraq_01.jpg

stevieray
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
That is a great picture. I've always thought the Miltiary totally exemplifies the American people.

..this visit will only enhance the bond they already share.

Captain Obvious
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Photoshop. We all know that a Hussein would never hug an American soldier. Especially while smiling. amirite?

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Photoshop. We all know that a Hussein would never hug an American soldier. Especially while smiling. amirite?
Sounds like some didn't get the memo.

'I love you'
Inside a marble palace built by Saddam Hussein to celebrate Iraq's war victory over Iran, Obama was interrupted repeatedly with cheers from the troops.

"I love you," someone in the crowd shouted out. "I love you back," the commander in chief replied.

Scores of troops held digital cameras above their heads, snapping pictures and recording video. Vice president Joe Biden's son, Capt. Beau Biden, who is serving with the Army National Guard, was among the troops who heard Obama's speech.

Direckshun
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm sure WorldNetDaily is infuriated that they can't run their "why didn't he meet the troops!?!?!?!?" story now.

BigRedChief
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm sure WorldNetDaily is infuriated that they can't run their "why didn't he meet the troops!?!?!?!?" story now.
They really had a story up like that?

Direckshun
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
They really had a story up like that?

They did when he was campaigning in Europe in 2008.

He had visited Germany, but did not arrange to meet with troops in a hospital there.

WND, NewsMax, Wash Times... all of them posted scathing criticisms that Obama was anti-troops as a result.

I have no doubt they had this one on hold just in case Obama came home without visiting troops.

Simplex3
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM

I'll cut him slack on that one. Generally US Presidents don't announce they're going to drop into a war zone. I'm sure the soldiers on base appreciate that.

trndobrd
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM

I'm sure the Secret Service works the crowd control the same way every time. As I recall, when Bush was introduced on one of his visits the U.S. commander of coalition forces in Iraq did not have his 9mm in his holster. I doubt he just forgot it in his office.

BucEyedPea
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Almost seven in 10 Americans agree with Obama's plan to remove most U.S. troops from Iraq by next August, while leaving a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops.
Yup! We're still gonna play empire!

HonestChieffan
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Bush in Baghdad. Bad
Obama. Good.

Call in the dogs, piss on the fire. War over. Hail Obama.

Captain Obvious
04-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Sounds like some didn't get the memo.

'I love you'
Inside a marble palace built by Saddam Hussein to celebrate Iraq's war victory over Iran, Obama was interrupted repeatedly with cheers from the troops.

"I love you," someone in the crowd shouted out. "I love you back," the commander in chief replied.

Scores of troops held digital cameras above their heads, snapping pictures and recording video. Vice president Joe Biden's son, Capt. Beau Biden, who is serving with the Army National Guard, was among the troops who heard Obama's speech.

Psst....dude....turn your sarcasm detector on.

dirk digler
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Bush in Baghdad. Bad
Obama. Good.

Call in the dogs, piss on the fire. War over. Hail Obama.

Still bitter as ever I see. Does your pussy lips ever stop being chapped?

Calcountry
04-07-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/07/obama/index.html

Obama makes unannounced stop in Baghdad

<LI class=cnnhiliteheader>Story Highlights
Air Force One lands in Baghdad at 9:42 a.m. ET
Obama also visited Iraq during the campaign season
Obama arrived in Europe last week for a series of summits
Poll shows 79 percent of Americans feel Obama improving U.S. image abroad
(CNN) -- President Obama made an unannounced visit to Iraq on Tuesday.

Another reason Obama chose to visit Iraq rather than Afghanistan is because of Iraq's proximity to Turkey, which Obama just visited, said Gibbs.

During the campaign season, Obama (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Barack_Obama) visited Iraq on a multi-stop overseas trip. That trip also included stops in Afghanistan, Jordan, Israel, Germany, France and the United Kingdom.

Obama's surprise stop in Iraq came at the conclusion of his first overseas trip as president.

In Obama's last scheduled stop in Turkey (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Turkey), the president held a joint news conference with Turkish President Abdullah Gul and addressed the Turkish parliament. Obama's trip to Turkey was his first presidential visit to a Muslim country.

Obama arrived in Europe last week for a series of summits.
He first met with world leaders at the G-20 summit in London to discuss the global financial crisis.

At the NATO summit in France and Germany, the president was hoping to get a boost in resources for the war in Afghanistan. He did get allies to pledge about 5,000 troops, but in the form of police and security trainers -- not combat troops.
In Prague, Czech Republic, at the European Union summit, Obama delivered a speech about nuclear nonproliferation to more than 20,000 people -- a boisterous crowd reminiscent of the campaign.

He even used the old campaign line "Yes, we can" to answer critics who think he can't follow through on ridding the world of nuclear weapons.
A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll found that 79 percent of Americans surveyed feel that Obama has had a "more positive" effect on how people in other countries view the U.S. Only 19 percent of those surveyed thought he's had a "more negative" effect.

The poll also indicated that only 35 percent of Americans currently approve of the U.S. war in Iraq; 65 percent disapprove.

Almost seven in 10 Americans agree with Obama's plan to remove most U.S. troops from Iraq by next August, while leaving a residual force of between 35,000 and 50,000 troops.Oh my GAAAAAAWD, awesome, I think I am going to tingle up my leg.

Calcountry
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
They really had a story up like that?OMG, I am stunned!111 WTF?/2211

Calcountry
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Yup! We're still gonna play empire!That will work until they pay them with printed up salary.

Amnorix
04-07-2009, 03:57 PM
That will work until they pay them with printed up salary.

Who are you? Or, more accurately I guess, who did you used to be? With 23,000 posts and not recognizing your name...

patteeu
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Why is Obama gritting his teeth as though mere contact with our own troops is a distasteful chore?

;)