PDA

View Full Version : KU Dickie V. picks KU to win the title next year

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Possible kiss of death? lol hope not

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
**** off Dick. We don't need your slobber on us. Hansbrough has tainted it anyway.

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I fucking hate Duke Vitale.

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
As totally unfair as it is, Bill Self needs to win another title soon because of last night.

Sure-Oz
04-07-2009, 11:47 AM
haha awesome

jidar
04-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Bob Knight and Charles Barkley picked KU last year. I bet Barkley made a mint off of that.

doomy3
04-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Well, he did the same thing for North Carolina last year right after we won the championship...

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, he did the same thing for North Carolina last year right after we won the championship...

Very true!

DeezNutz
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Doug Gottlieb also picked KU to win it all (interview on 810). Part of this is based on his expectation that X is going to KU. Said next year's team "is going to be sick."

Mr. Plow
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
As totally unfair as it is, Bill Self needs to win another title soon because of last night.

No he doesn't.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Doug Gottlieb also picked KU to win it all (interview on 810). Part of this is based on his expectation that X is going to KU. Said next year's team "is going to be sick."

I hope Aldrich and Collins come back.

Pants
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Meeks is going to the NBA.

Oh, and Vitale can go choke on PsychoT's cock some more.

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
No he doesn't.
Like it or not, he's linked to his predecessor and needs to keep up with the Joneses. It's not even remotely fair but it's truth.

KC_Connection
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
If Aldrich and Collins come back, they'll be preseason #1

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Like it or not, he's linked to his predecessor and needs to keep up with the Joneses. It's not even remotely fair but it's truth.

What he should be compared with is he one a title in 5 years. Roy won 0 titles in 15.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 12:03 PM
If Aldrich and Collins come back, they'll be preseason #1

Where will Missouri be ranked?

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Additionally, by your logic, Self should be fired because KU doesn't have 11 championships like UCLA.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Additionally, by your logic, Self should be fired because KU doesn't have 11 championships like UCLA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow that's some tangent reasoning there. Self and Roy are linked and no amount of complaining or crying will change it. It just is.

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow that's some tangent reasoning there. Self and Roy are linked and no amount of complaining or crying will change it. It just is.

I was trying to point out the fault in your logic.

Self won't get any bullshit from me for Roy winning titles at UNC.

Self has already outproduced Roy with the closest possible circumstances. Same school, same timeframe, same recruiting rules...Who gives a fuck what he does at UNC? He couldn't get it done at KU, and Self did.

In my mind Self>Roy. I don't give a shit what the media or anyone else tries to tell me. In the closest possible circumstances, Self outproduced Roy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
Posted via Mobile Device

Give him a Sam Gilbert and he will.

KC_Connection
lol

KC_Connection
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't compare them, either. It's over as far as I'm concerned.

Spicy McHaggis
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM

Says who? The fans? The boosters? Perkins?

Self is just fine.

Mr. Plow
04-07-2009, 12:32 PM

He doesn't need to win another one just because Roy won one.

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
He doesn't need to win another one just because Roy won one.

Self did in 5 years what Roy never did in 18. Win a NC at Kansas.

DeezNutz
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
The Roy saga is (or at least should be) officially over at KU.

It's 100 percent Self's program, just like UNC is 100 percent Roy's. The two have absolutely no relevance to the other.

Dave Lane
Gottlieb says he thinks Xavier goes to KU and that KU wins the next national championship in 2010. He also says Collins and Aldrich stay.

CoMoChief

They won't be

htismaqe
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I was trying to point out the fault in your logic.

Self won't get any bullshit from me for Roy winning titles at UNC.

Self has already outproduced Roy with the closest possible circumstances. Same school, same timeframe, same recruiting rules...Who gives a **** what he does at UNC? He couldn't get it done at KU, and Self did.

In my mind Self>Roy. I don't give a shit what the media or anyone else tries to tell me. In the closest possible circumstances, Self outproduced Roy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I gotta think that if Self were at UNC, they'd still be winning titles.

He's a superior coach AND recruiter when compared to Roy, IMO.

I know some KU fans might take offense, but I think UNC is slightly ahead of KU in terms of prestige. Frankly, I'd be concerned if Roy couldn't win there, considering what he has at his disposal.

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Self did in 5 years what Roy never did in 18. Win a NC at Kansas.
Exactly. Roy can do in UNC what he couldn't do at KU. Which is a reflection on KU and the recruiting etc at KU. Of course KU fans like Bill Self and he won't be fired either way but the national battle for prominence is on and KU and Self need to keep up.

DeezNutz
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

I know some KU fans might take offense, but I think UNC is slightly ahead of KU in terms of prestige. Frankly, I'd be concerned if Roy couldn't win there, considering what he has at his disposal.

UNC is the top program in college basketball, and I don't even see this as really being arguable. They're 1A.

The other top programs, KU, Duke, UCLA, etc., are 1B. Still great, but not quite on the same level. Obviously, this all assumes these programs keep elite-level coaches. Even UNC has fallen on hard times with the wrong guy as the HC.

Brock
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Exactly. Roy can do in UNC what he couldn't do at KU. Which is a reflection on what he did at KU and the recruiting etc he did at KU. .

FYP

Chiefs Pantalones
04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah I'm totally over the Roy thing. He did great for us, but didn't achieve the goal he set out to do, which was win a title. Self did. Sure we all were pissed at how Roy left and pretty much said he never would, I'll never blame him for leaving, but just don't say you never will. The ass kicking we gave UNC ended it all for me. He can go on and win however many titles he wants at UNC, as long as it's not at KU's expense. Also, not to mention, it's easy to win at UNC. KU is no smug obviously, duh, just saying it's sexier to go there. So in my opinion, that makes Self's title more impressive than Roy's titles. Just my opinion though.

Gdaddy
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Vitale picked NC this year, not kiss of death....
Meeks is testing the NBA, he isnt hiring an agent.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Self and Roy are both the same in terms of recruiting. Some of the best KU players ever came under his watch. People forget that now that Self won the title at Kansas.

Pants
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Self and Roy are both the same in terms of recruiting. Some of the best KU players ever came under his watch. People forget that now that Self won the title at Kansas.

Self is a better recruiter.

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
FYP
Which might be exactly true but it won't be seen that way in the national light. It will be seen has Roy is a great coach who finally could get the players he REALLY wanted now that he's at a superior school in UNC.

I'm not saying that is true but unless Self proves it wrong by competing directly with Roy and UNC then that will be the perception.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Self is a better recruiter.

How so? I'm not bashing Self here, I just don't think theres a clear difference on whos a better recruiter. Like I said before many all time KU greats came under Roy's watch.

htismaqe
04-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Make no mistake about it, Roy got good players at KU. Self did a good job at Illinois though, which is not even close to the same recruiting level as UNC and KU, even with Chicago in their backyard.

Pants
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
How so? I'm not bashing Self here, I just don't think theres a clear difference on whos a better recruiter. Like I said before many all time KU greats came under Roy's watch.

Self gets 4-5 stars year in and year out.

DJay23
04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
UNC is the top program in college basketball, and I don't even see this as really being arguable. They're 1A.

The other top programs, KU, Duke, UCLA, etc., are 1B. Still great, but not quite on the same level. Obviously, this all assumes these programs keep elite-level coaches. Even UNC has fallen on hard times with the wrong guy as the HC.

I think UNC is now either tied or within 2 wins of Kentucky as far as all time wins. Kansas is 3rd. In light of UK's recent purchase, i think they are on the road back to relevance.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Self gets 4-5 stars year in and year out.

So does Roy

Mr. Plow
04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Which might be exactly true but it won't be seen that way in the national light. It will be seen has Roy is a great coach who finally could get the players he REALLY wanted now that he's at a superior school in UNC.

I'm not saying that is true but unless Self proves it wrong by competing directly with Roy and UNC then that will be the perception.

ROFL

Self competes with all the major schools - not just Roy & UNC.

Pants
So does Roy

Yeah, he does at UNC.

Pablo
So does RoyI'm pretty sure he's talking about recruiting at KU. Self is better.

If Self could coach and recruit for UNC they'd probably reel off NC's every other year.

gblowfish
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, why even play the season? We'll just give you a trophy now.

DJay23
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
So does Roy

Roy admitted that he couldn't get East Coast kids to go to KU. Now, I fully admit that this was probably an excuse so that he didn't have to compete with UNC for recruits. But if we take him at his word, he has already admitted Self is better.

Brock
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM

IMO, Self is doing a better job of recruiting than Roy did when he was here. Roy may be getting the players he really wanted that he couldn't get at KU, but to me all that means is that Self is a better recruiter.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, why even play the season? We'll just give you a trophy now.I like the way you think.

DJay23
04-07-2009, 01:12 PM

:thumb:

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
So does Roy
The subconscious belief that getting 5 star recruits at UNC is easier than KU comes into play.

UNC > KU

The link between the schools is undeniable as is the link between the 2 coaches. If KU wants to stop being the 'subconscious' 2nd place to UNC then Self needs to answer the recent success that UNC just had.

Pants
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM

That is so good to hear, especially coming from you. I wish everyone thought like you.

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Could you run it over to Lawrence and put it in the trophy case? Thnx.

Pablo
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Could you run it over to Lawrence and put it in the trophy case? Thnx.You forgot to tell him to swap out the oranges for some fresh-smellin purty ones while he's there.

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
The subconscious belief that getting 5 star recruits at UNC is easier than KU comes into play.

UNC > KU

The link between the schools is undeniable as is the link between the 2 coaches. If KU wants to stop being the 'subconscious' 2nd place to UNC then Self needs to answer the recent success that UNC just had.

Oh give me a fucking break. The point at which it will be more attractive to go to KU than UNC on the school alone is when Lawrence stops being in the middle of fucking nowhere. Or a coach kills the UNC program.

Please note that this does not include coaches recruiting. That's the whole reason ANYONE comes to Kansas.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I think UNC is now either tied or within 2 wins of Kentucky as far as all time wins. Kansas is 3rd. In light of UK's recent purchase, i think they are on the road back to relevance.

Fuck Kentucky basketball.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Roy admitted that he couldn't get East Coast kids to go to KU. Now, I fully admit that this was probably an excuse so that he didn't have to compete with UNC for recruits. But if we take him at his word, he has already admitted Self is better.

There are kids everywhere, not just the east coast. I dont find this to be a valid excuse at all.

Mr. Plow
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM
If KU wants to stop being the 'subconscious' 2nd place to UNC then Self needs to answer the recent success that UNC just had.

LMAO

Now, read below.......

Oh give me a fucking break. The point at which it will be more attractive to go to KU than UNC on the school alone is when Lawrence stops being in the middle of fucking nowhere. Or a coach kills the UNC program.

Please note that this does not include coaches recruiting. That's the whole reason ANYONE comes to Kansas.

SNR
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I actually root for Roy now. Thank God for that final four game last year... beating the fucking tar out of the heels (heh) allowed me to forgive Roy fully... he served his punishment in that game.

UNC and KU are no longer linked, except through history. That's why I rooted for UNC last night and why it doesn't show up Self at all if Roy wins a few more than Self while at UNC

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I actually root for Roy now. Thank God for that final four game last year... beating the ****ing tar out of the heels (heh) allowed me to forgive Roy fully... he served his punishment in that game.

I completely agree :thumb:

Mr. Plow
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
I actually root for Roy now.

I won't root for Roy, but I won't root against him.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I won't root for Roy, but I won't root against him.

I don't root against Roy... I like that Roy came to the championship game last year with a KU sticker on after we beat him... I root against UNC because the level of hatred I have for them keeps me warm at night.

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
LMAO

Now, read below.......
umm .... repost? :spock:

DJay23
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't root against Roy... I like that Roy came to the championship game last year with a KU sticker on after we beat him... I root against UNC because the level of hatred I have for them keeps me warm at night.

The story now is that Ryan Robertson's girlfriend or some such put the sticker on Roy. I guess so it doesn't look to Tar Heel fans that he was actively rooting for KU, and so it looks to KU fans that he was since he never took it off.

HolyHandgernade
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
UNC gets the prestige nod because the most recent "greatest player ever", "His Airness", played a UNC. Wilt is too long ago and Paul Pierce isn't in quite the same strata. KU will need to win titles to be mentioned along with Carolina as top dog. UCLA will be back after a down year, and I imagine it won't take Calipari long to resurrect the Kentucky program.

KU needs a player that goes on to be a superstar at the next level. We got plenty of quantity in the NBA, now we need a quality superstar. Unfortunately, I think that player only completed his freshman year down in Witchita.

-CalHawk

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
UNC gets the prestige nod because the most recent "greatest player ever", "His Airness", played a UNC. Wilt is too long ago and Paul Pierce isn't in quite the same strata. KU will need to win titles to be mentioned along with Carolina as top dog. UCLA will be back after a down year, and I imagine it won't take Calipari long to resurrect the Kentucky program.

KU needs a player that goes on to be a superstar at the next level. We got plenty of quantity in the NBA, now we need a quality superstar. Unfortunately, I think that player only completed his freshman year down in Witchita.

-CalHawk

IMO the NBA deosn't decide what college programs are more elite than others.

There are many great great college players that never really made it in NBA.

HolyHandgernade
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
IMO the NBA deosn't decide what college programs are more elite than others.

There are many great great college players that never really made it in NBA.

Its not about a decision, its about a perception. My point was that UNC gets more of that perception because because of the Michael Jordan factor. That's why you can buy UNC gear all the way out here in California. Heck, you can still get Michigan gear out here based on the fascination of the "Fab Five". But, you don't see Kentucky, Indiana or Kansas gear out here. Perception has little to do with the actual greatness of a program, it has to do with who or what captures the imagination at a particular time. Florida won two back to back and two football championships, but you don't see their stuff in stores out here. Here, you see, UCLA, USC, UNC, Michigan and sometimes Duke. That's the perception, and until you get something or someone that captures that magic, you don't have that perception, even a program as storied as KU.

Now, if Chamberlain had come later and been on TV more, then he might have been that type of player for KU. If Danny had never blown out his knees, he might have been as well. Who knows what it will be next, but it hasn't arrived since the Fab Five and Jordan. King James skipped college, so who knows who or what it will be?

-HH

R8RFAN
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Carolina kicked KU's ass in 93 in the final 4, Roy came out the next Monday night and was in the crowd pulling for Carolina.

KU kicked Carolinas ass last year in the final 4 and Roy was wearing a KU button supporting KU.

Some of you people are just sickening how you hold hate in your heart....
Roy got a boatload of cash to come back to his home to his dream job.... Can you honestly say you would not have done it?

KU is a helluva program that can hold it's own with the elite in America... wasting your time on earth hating... does nothing but wastes time.

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Carolina kicked KU's ass in 93 in the final 4, Roy came out the next Monday night and was in the crowd pulling for Carolina.

KU kicked Carolinas ass last year in the final 4 and Roy was wearing a KU button supporting KU.

Roy got a boatload of cash to come back to his home to his dream job.... Can you honestly say you would not have done it?

KU is a helluva program that can hold it's own with the elite in America... wasting your time on earth hating... does nothing but wastes time.

No, I think the majority of us are over Roy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM

Yeah, we know he is a two faced bastard. He told us he would never leave then did so less than two years later. Fuck him.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Hold its own with the elite? Kansas is one of the elite, dummy.

Reaper16
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Can you go away? Also, what does your username refer to? What is possessed by Mr. Krabs that you represent?

HC_Chief
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, we know he is a two faced bastard. He told us he would never leave then did so less than two years later. **** him.

He did?

sedated
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
No, I think the majority of us are over Roy.
Posted via Mobile Device

speak for yourself

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
He did?

Yes. I'm sure someone here has the exact verbiage he used.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
04-07-2009, 05:44 PM
speak for yourself

OK. Sorry. I am over Roy. He's a penis as Skip eluded to, but I have to respect his ability to build a program. He's about like coach K now. Don't like him, but respect his ability.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes. I'm sure someone here has the exact verbiage he used.
Posted via Mobile Device

He said if he ever left KU he would be either dead or retired.

BigVE
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools? Sure we have the whole "basketball was invented here" thing going for us and a rich history but for Self to, IMO, UP the recruiting talent level while he has been here has been impressive. Yes, Roy did recruit some dang good players over the years but he was notorious for doing the every other year thing. Almost like he would take a year off from recruiting (one year all we got was Bryant Nash). Self keeps the talent coming in year after year so far and it shows. This year's recruiting class under-achieved in my opinion and it showed at the end of the season.

sedated
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools?

I tend to agree to an extent. "the State of Kansas" in general isn't a well-known place for most coast kids.

However, it is a great town (artistic, liberal, which most kids see the first time they step foot there) and its only 30 minutes away from KC (which if nothing else helps in air-travel)

Lawrence is far from an isolated outpost like Pullman, WA or Manhattan, KS.

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
On the KU board one guy has a sig that says "Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball. (Their arena is named after a KU grad. So is Kentucky's)

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
To me it's much easier for Roy or anyone else to recruit in UNC/Chapel Hill than it is for Self or anyone else to recruit someone to KU for one big reason: location. Lawrence Ks. compared to most of these places is pretty sad. If your an 18yr old kid WHY WOULD YOU pick Lawrence KS instead of many other schools? Sure we have the whole "basketball was invented here" thing going for us and a rich history but for Self to, IMO, UP the recruiting talent level while he has been here has been impressive. Yes, Roy did recruit some dang good players over the years but he was notorious for doing the every other year thing. Almost like he would take a year off from recruiting (one year all we got was Bryant Nash). Self keeps the talent coming in year after year so far and it shows. This year's recruiting class under-achieved in my opinion and it showed at the end of the season.

Well recruiting has changed as well in the past 20 years. you didn't have players jumping into the NBA right after HS, nor did you have players do the one and done thing that many top elite blue chippers do these days.

Roy gets great players every season. Every season he gets top 100 players. Hitting the recruiting trail hard every other year was fine 10-20 years ago because most kids stayed in college for 3+ years. Now blue chippers are lucky to stay 2 years, less than that if they happen to make a Final 4 run.

BigVE
04-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I tend to agree to an extent. "the State of Kansas" in general isn't a well-known place for most coast kids.

However, it is a great town (artistic, liberal, which most kids see the first time they step foot there) and its only 30 minutes away from KC (which if nothing else helps in air-travel)

Oh, for sure. I think all things considered Lawrence is an Ok place for a kid to go to school. But if you try to compare it location-wise to, say, UCLA or USC or Arizona (amongst others) its NO comparison TO ME. I have read several times about kids commenting on the overall location of KU compared to other schools and it has been a negative factor at times. The facilities are nice and getting better all the time, Self is a top coach and having a guy like Danny Manning on the staff (so far) is SO valuable that if a kid is interested in basketball and improving his game for the next level then KU has few rivals. If a kid is looking for a warm weather party school....well we know the weather here in KS.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
...I have not seen any articles of anyone picking KU to go all the way next year? Does anyone have any links to articles?

cdirty
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/news/story?id=4048380

ArrowheadHawk
04-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I hope Dickie is right again.

BWillie
04-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Yeah, pretty much. Once you can get a kid to visit KU, I'm sure it helps a hell of a lot. But most college towns are pretty similar, at least those in the midwest. I mean it's college, you can always find a good time and shit to do as long as you are at a state school

R8RFAN
04-08-2009, 04:28 AM
On the KU board one guy has a sig that says "Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball. (Their arena is named after a KU grad. So is Kentucky's)
whatever gets you thru your day skippyROFL

Reerun_KC
04-08-2009, 05:04 AM
whatever gets you thru your day skippyROFL

If you was educated and followed college basketball, you would understand the sign...

Mr. Plow
04-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Lawrence, Kansas: Birth place of North Carolina basketball.

I have that t-shirt.

Bearcat
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Exactly. Roy can do in UNC what he couldn't do at KU. Which is a reflection on KU and the recruiting etc at KU. Of course KU fans like Bill Self and he won't be fired either way but the national battle for prominence is on and KU and Self need to keep up.

OMFG, this place has gone off the deep end lately.... Hansbrough hate = Roy hate, Kansas fans are bitter that Hansbrough didn't go to KU, Self was a better coach than Roy last year but now it's absolutely clear Roy is the better coach, and now Self needs to "keep up with Roy" in NCs.

Look at the short list of teams that have won more than TWO, and then come back and talk like Roy and Self need to swap National Titles to one-up each other. Roy had some great teams at Kansas that didn't sniff the FF, because the best team doesn't always win the NC. They're on two completely different courses... Self had quite a bit of work to do before winning one with his first full class at Kansas, and is on his first full reload. Roy didn't have to immediately reload, and he's already at the point of doing it again.

Quit comparing the two. Yeah, they're linked because of the time Roy spent at Kansas, but that's it. AT MOST, people would expect Self to match what Roy did at Kansas.

FFS.

Pants
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Alrighty, then.

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
This discussion is stupid.

FFS.

Fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I will say this. Self's teams traditionally are better on defense.

Roy's teams traditionally are better on the offensive end.

Truth be told, Roy and UNC are the perfect match. And as long as Roy keeps getting great players, UNC will continue to be great. I see Roy winning at least 2 more NC's before he's done.

Raised On Riots
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, we know he is a two faced bastard. He told us he would never leave then did so less than two years later. Fuck him.

He said if he ever left KU he would be either dead or retired.

http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/files/2008/09/crying_baby.jpg

Jesus Fucking Christ; I have never seen a fan base that can crank it's
own pud as continuously and as often as a fucking beaker.

"Beakubator".

Yep; I like it, and it's stickin'! :whackit:

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
http://blogs.babycenter.com/momformation/files/2008/09/crying_baby.jpg

Jesus Fucking Christ; I have never seen a fan base that can crank it's
own pud as continuously and as often as a fucking beaker.

"Beakubator".

Yep; I like it, and it's stickin'! :whackit:

What the fuck does that even mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Plow
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
What the fuck does that even mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

Who knows. I guess it's supposed to be an insult of some kind.

bluehawkdoc
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I think he had a nerdgasm.

ArrowheadHawk
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I think he had a nerdgasm.Do what?

Fairplay
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Serious question KU fans.

Do you think KU has the talent level next year to possibly win it all?

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Serious question KU fans.

Do you think KU has the talent level next year to possibly win it all?

Depends on the recruits they get in and how these young guys progress. Here's what I think needs to happen.

Collins and Aldrich return
Morrises get less than worthless
Find an elite level shooting guard - OR - PG and move Collins to SG
Tyshawn Taylor needs to take care of the ball. Kid is explosive but a liability.
There can be no drop off of defensive ability when Morningstar goes out.
Little needs to be used in the 3 spot. He doesn't have what it takes defensively to work down there, but has enough confidence in what he is doing to work from the outside.

If all that happens, then sure. I think a lot of our problem was we were helping the Morrises inside and get 3's bombed on our faces. Marcus I think came a long way, but they both are still worlds away from the production that is needed down low.

I think Reed and Morningstar are good players, but contributing 40 minutes, they don't get you what you need for production. But their defense is sound. I do think if they get matched up on an elite scorer they need to move to a more deny defense instead of helping low.

Little I think has a lot of talent, but he really isn't a 4 man. He doesnt have the size or strength to defend well. What I really REALLY liked about him was the defensive plays he did make were all hustle plays. Every single one of them. His level of hustle was very good.

I think Releford has an opportunity to step up. He is damn explosive but turns the ball over too much. I think in order to move to the next level of offensive production he needs to develop a jumpshot that has to be respected so he can utilize his ability to drive.

Appleton got some PT at the end of the year but I couldn't really tell what he had.

Thomas didn't get much. I don't know what he brings to the table.

I think the talent is there. It just has to get less stupid and stop folding up like a lawnchair in the 2nd half. Against good teams that shit doesn't work (see MSU, Syracuse and MU). I wasn't impressed from a team defensive standpoint. I mean the production was there, and there were some good individual efforts from Aldrich, Collins, Morningstar, and Reed, but when the D NEEDED a stop, it seemed tough to come by. That and there were way too many fouls inside (MORRIS --> YOU MOTHER FUCKER(S)). Our defensive stats were solid, but there were a lot of breakdowns that aren't sustainable for a title run.

So yes, I think the talent is there. But the talent has to step up.

Fairplay
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM
I thought that after Collins and Adlrich, the talent level kind of dropped off. Wasn't very impressed as a whole when they are out of the game.

But yes, i would assume next season Self will get certain individuals to start picking it up more.

Mr. Plow
04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Tyshawn Taylor needs to take care of the ball. Kid is explosive but a liability.

I remember thinking the same thing when Chalmers was a Freshman.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Gawd....end this Self vs Williams talk.

Did everyone forget the final four game last year?

Here is a refresher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kesOk3hEHJQ

Self (KU) is 1-0 against Williams (UNC)...it was settled on the court.

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
I remember thinking the same thing when Chalmers was a Freshman.

I think Taylor may be better at getting to the hole than Chalmers, but his shot isn't as good.

If he takes care of teh ball better, he can be mofuggin good.

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I thought that after Collins and Adlrich, the talent level kind of dropped off. Wasn't very impressed as a whole when they are out of the game.

But yes, i would assume next season Self will get certain individuals to start picking it up more.

It was. The talent is there, and it showed flashes. But just like anything else it has to turn potential into production.

KC_Connection
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Tyshawn could be really good next year. He looks like he could be a decent outside shooter and slasher.

Farzin
04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Bob Knight and Charles Barkley picked KU last year. I bet Barkley made a mint off of that.
Knight picked Pittsburgh....

ArrowheadHawk
04-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Tyshawn could be really good next year. He looks like he could be a decent outside shooter and slasher.He was the best Freshman on the team.

doomy3
04-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Knight picked Pittsburgh....

LAST year. As in 2008.

Earthling
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Didn't Illinois win it all the first year Self came to KU ? The team he coached and recruited before coming to Kansas?

Jayhawkerman2001
04-09-2009, 04:09 PM
I ****ing hate Duke Vitale.

you mean Duke "UNC" Vitale? that sounds more like it

Jayhawkerman2001
04-09-2009, 04:11 PM

in my mind, he's square one now with him. Roy boy won his first with nobody but the past coaches guys. Roy really didn't have anybody on that team that he recruited.

Earthling
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Lol..Brain fart...I think my last post was wrong! :banghead:

BUT he did win 2 Big Ten Championships and one Tournament title in his 3 years at Illinois :)

shitgoose
04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Didn't Illinois win it all the first year Self came to KU ? The team he coached and recruited before coming to Kansas?

Illinois lost to UNC in the '05 Championship Game. Roy's first title.

BWillie
04-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Tyshawn could be really good next year. He looks like he could be a decent outside shooter and slasher.

Is there a stat for charges? He had to of led the country in charging fouls. I've never seen anything like it. Like the aggressiveness though.

Jayhawkerman2001
04-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Is there a stat for charges? He had to of led the country in charging fouls. I've never seen anything like it. Like the aggressiveness though.

which isnt always a bad thing. It shows that he's not afraid to drive to the hoop. Thats what we need him to be, a slasher

Buehler445
04-09-2009, 05:21 PM

He did have quite a few legit ones. But he also had a lot of pushoff calls and illegal screens.

I do really love his ability to get to the rim. There were several times that I'd scream at the TV for him leading fast breaks through double teams, but in reality he almost always got to the rim or fouled.

His shot isn't terrible either. He is a lot like Mario. I think he is better at getting to the rim, but not quite as good of shot.

EDIT: Not quite as good of shot YET :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
04-09-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't like the Morris boys either but somebody on the KU board pointed out that Darnell Jackson looked just like them as a freshman.

BWillie
04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
He did have quite a few legit ones. But he also had a lot of pushoff calls and illegal screens.

I do really love his ability to get to the rim. There were several times that I'd scream at the TV for him leading fast breaks through double teams, but in reality he almost always got to the rim or fouled.

His shot isn't terrible either. He is a lot like Mario. I think he is better at getting to the rim, but not quite as good of shot.

EDIT: Not quite as good of shot YET :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Good analysis.

R8RFAN
04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Suck It GayHawk fans............. get over it and hail to your masters "The Tarheels"
We take from Kansas anytime or anything we want.... be nice, or we may make Self an Asst at UNC

CoMoChief
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Suck It GayHawk fans............. get over it and hail to your masters "The Tarheels"
We take from Kansas anytime or anything we want.... be nice, or we may make Self an Asst at UNC

Wow, you sure did forget what happend in the the final 4 in 2008 didn't you?

KU wasn't destined to win it all this season, UNC was. Anything less would have been just another Roy Williams choke job in the NCAA tournament, and Tyler Hansflopper would have left UNC crying without his NC.

Skip Towne
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM

40-12 fat fuk. Why is your arena named after a KU grad?

Mr. Plow
04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

How soon some forget......everything you have came from KU. fucking dumbass.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+4eDI5utD8Twl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+RNN15ddcNdOl.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+TcY5Mk0kBfOl.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+deza96FrW6Il.jpg

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+v9EQq_0FdQdl.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/R_zcqs8ZkVI/AAAAAAAAIRY/1r29WFi9lOs/s400/001RoyWillDecal.jpg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=136&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=4617010

Mr_Tomahawk
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
How soon some forget......everything you have came from KU. ****ing dumbass.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+4eDI5utD8Twl.jpg

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+RNN15ddcNdOl.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+TcY5Mk0kBfOl.jpg

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+deza96FrW6Il.jpg

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Final+Four+Kansas+v9EQq_0FdQdl.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RVLfSMIB7K0/R_zcqs8ZkVI/AAAAAAAAIRY/1r29WFi9lOs/s400/001RoyWillDecal.jpg

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=136&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=4617010

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Fucking Goats.

BigRock
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Possibly NSFW (vulgarity)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5427/kucomic.jpg

Reaper16
04-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Your team just won a national championship.

Be happy.

ArrowheadHawk
04-10-2009, 12:19 AM

ROFL

CoMoChief
04-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Possibly NSFW (vulgarity)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5427/kucomic.jpg

THAT. IS. FUCKING. EPIC. ROFL

crazycoffey
04-10-2009, 01:45 AM
wow, brandon rush didn't even play for the gayhawks this year.....

"epic" fail, if you ask me. you fucking birds just wish it could've come down to UNC and KU, who all played for both teams the last few years? oh that's right it comes down to coaching. Well, you hawker fans can say "self won coach of the year" while UNC is carrying the trophy. Whatever......

HolyHandgernade
04-10-2009, 02:04 AM

"epic" fail, if you ask me.

Yeah, but it was essentially the same team we pulverized when we did have Rush around. So, basically you are saying that while we're in a "rebuilding tear" you could take advantage of the fact that all of our starters and a good majority of our backups went to play for pay. That's your smack? That, is an epic fail. I mean, sure, go talk your trash to the Spartans and Wildcats, but don't speak to us again until you beat us. Our National Champs OWNED your National Champs. Owned them. Punched their offensive machine in the mouth with a little thing called Defense. Enjoy it for now, because it comes back to Lawrence again next year.

Trash talk is so silly.

-HH

BigRock
04-10-2009, 02:07 AM

Right. He played for them last year. When that graphic was made. From the KU/UNC game. Where KU got ahead 40-12. A score which is visible at the bottom of every single one of those pictures.

HELLO

crazycoffey
04-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah, but it was essentially the same team we pulverized when we did have Rush around. So, basically you are saying that while we're in a "rebuilding tear" you could take advantage of the fact that all of our starters and a good majority of our backups went to play for pay. That's your smack? That, is an epic fail. I mean, sure, go talk your trash to the Spartans and Wildcats, but don't speak to us again until you beat us. Our National Champs OWNED your National Champs. Owned them. Punched their offensive machine in the mouth with a little thing called Defense. Enjoy it for now, because it comes back to Lawrence again next year.

Trash talk is so silly.

-HH

what's with this "my smack" shit. basically someone put up game footage from last year saying they were better than this year's UNC team. I'm a MU tiger fan. And they did better than even die hard fans thought they would. I am saying it is pretty weak of a gayhawk fan to put up screenshots of last years KU team playing some of this years UNC team.

THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF "EPIC FAIL"

Pants
04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
wlast years KU team playing some of this years UNC team.

You don't follow basketball, do you? Fail.

JASONSAUTO
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
what's with this "my smack" shit. basically someone put up game footage from last year saying they were better than this year's UNC team. I'm a MU tiger fan. And they did better than even die hard fans thought they would. I am saying it is pretty weak of a gayhawk fan to put up screenshots of last years KU team playing some of this years UNC team.

those looked as though they were from last years final four game, look at the last one it has b. rush and below it n.c.

Mr_Tomahawk
04-10-2009, 08:14 AM

Hmmmmmm this year?

Who did MU's worst lost come from this year?

Ya, shut your face.

DJay23
04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I am saying it is pretty weak of a gayhawk fan to put up screenshots of last years KU team playing some of this years UNC team.

Here is what I find gay:

UNC and idiot rival fans claiming that this year's UNC is vastly different from last year's. There are 2 differences:

1) UNC had Marcus Ginyard (who is a good perimeter player) last year.
2) UNC had Ed Davis (who is a good post player) this year.

Call it a wash since we destroyed UNC on both fronts.

It's not like UNC had some huge difference maker this year that they didn't have last year.

HolyHandgernade
04-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm a MU tiger fan.

That's basically what I got out of it.

-HH

Tiger's Fan
04-10-2009, 04:58 PM

"epic" fail, if you ask me. you ****ing birds just wish it could've come down to UNC and KU, who all played for both teams the last few years? oh that's right it comes down to coaching. Well, you hawker fans can say "self won coach of the year" while UNC is carrying the trophy. Whatever......

Drunk this early, even on a friday?

ROYC75
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Andy Katz thinks so too ......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4058254