PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Question for the motorcycle guys (no midnight douche)

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Im looking at picking this up, what do you think? Is this too much bike (thanks Pes) for a first time rider?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/egokilr/DSC_0010-1.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/egokilr/DSC_0012-1.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/egokilr/DSC_0009-1.jpg

http://www.duccutters.com/MummawMetalWorks/DSCF0916.jpg

http://www.duccutters.com/MummawMetalWorks/fc3d_1.JPG

Here is a vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2K2iAys_hc

Pestilence
04-07-2009, 01:30 PM
What's a bick?

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
What's a bick?

:cuss:

beach tribe
That is fuqin.......Awesome.

Jewish Rabbi
I don't know if you can handle all that pussy that you'll get.

Katipan
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, but I'd ride it.

beach tribe
I say go for it. Just be careful. You know how it is down here. There's someone in the paper every day.

MIAdragon

Ill carry a stick to beat em' off.

seclark
doesn't look very comfortable to ride.
for me anyways.
sec

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I say go for it. Just be careful. You know how it is down here. There someone in the paper every day.

I know, thatís what scares me.

beach tribe
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Nowhere for pussy to ride on there.

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Nowhere for pussy to ride on there.

LMAO thats how the wife wants it :D

googlegoogle
04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
nice.

I love buying stuff threads.

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Ducati Monster? No, not too much bike.
I’d recommend one a little cheaper to fix after you drop it but otherwise that’s not a bad choice. You’ll find the mid-range torque very friendly.

Edit: I see from the video it’s actually a 900SS, which doesn’t change my post. The Monster is basically a 900SS stripped of it’s bodywork.

bogey
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't know anything about that bike. However, if it's your first bike and it's expensive, maybe you should think about it. It's like when a golfer goes out and spends 1500.00 on his first set of clubs and plays for a few months and realizes it's not for him. Make sure you love to ride before investing big $$.

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Ducati Monster? No, not too much bike.
Iíd recommend one a little cheaper to fix after you drop it but otherwise thatís not a bad choice. Youíll find the mid-range torque very friendly.

Hehe, Ive been around BIG hp cars for a bit, dont know if thats going to help at all but I DO know to respect power.

GoHuge
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Do you have much experience on a bike? Laying over Monster is a very expensive experience. Hell of a nice bike though. Can't go wrong with a Ducati.

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Do you have much experience on a bike? Laying over Monster is a very expensive experience. Hell of a nice bike though. Can't go wrong with a Ducati.

Haha N O N E..... If it happens it happens.

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I may pick this up, then buy something else to learn on.

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Hehe, Ive been around BIG hp cars for a bit, dont know if thats going to help at all but I DO know to respect power.

Ducati isn’t a bad choice from a power perspective. It’s a V-Twin that makes good power from idle up to the midrange before tapering off on the top end. It’s not a two stroke, or a high strung 4 cylinder, waiting to catch you off guard before smacking you with more power than you’re ready to handle.
Ducati’s are pretty comparatively easy bikes to ride, that’s part of what has made them such successful racers.

bogey
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I may pick this up, then buy something else to learn on.

If you have the funds. GO FOR IT! However, drive defensively.

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Ducati isnít a bad choice from a power perspective. Itís a V-Twin that makes good power from idle up to the midrange before tapering off on the top end. Itís not a two stroke, or a high strung 4 cylinder, waiting to catch you off guard before smacking you with more power than youíre ready to handle.
Ducatiís are pretty comparatively easy bikes to ride, thatís part of what has made them such successful racers.

Nice, thanks!

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Nice, thanks!

No problem. Thatís a good looking bike, hope it works out for you. :thumb:

MOhillbilly
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
However, drive defensively.

F that, gag it and GO!

kcfanXIII
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
i would learn on something smaller. thats a powerful bike to try to learn on, but if you can get a good price, i'd get it now. even if you find a 250 or 500 to ride to learn and get the hang of riding. i don't think your experience with muscle cars will translate over to a bike. however, the respect for the power will help you be safe, especially after you get the feel for the way a bike accelerates and corners.

Otter
04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Im looking at picking this up, what do you think? Is this too much bike (thanks Pes) for a first time rider?

All depends on what you have in mind. Just about any bike of that vein is overkill unless you're racing.

I've had one too many near death experiences on my Harley and sold it. Good luck.

seclark
04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I've had one too many near death experiences on my Harley and sold it. Good luck.

gasp!
never.
sec

Otter
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
gasp!
never.
sec

I know

Monty
04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
i would learn on something smaller. thats a powerful bike to try to learn on, but if you can get a good price, i'd get it now. even if you find a 250 or 500 to ride to learn and get the hang of riding. i don't think your experience with muscle cars will translate over to a bike. however, the respect for the power will help you be safe, especially after you get the feel for the way a bike accelerates and corners.

This. If you've never driven a bike, you'll need time to learn, and you're better off on something that won't be too costly if/when you drop it. Another suggestion would be to take a basic driving course. I hadn't rode in almost 20 years and that course really helped as I could mess around on the 250 they gave me before I started riding the Gold Wing.

morphius
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
If you really have "N O N E", sign up for the motorcycle safety class in your area, more than worth it. I'll defer to Radar if you can handle that bike, I was able to handle a CBR 600 as my first bike, but I'm also pretty sane, and didn't push harder than I thought I could handle. And 2 words, Frame Sliders...

http://www.msf-usa.org/

TinyEvel
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Sitting right on the back tire like that with no fender, make sure your shirt never gets untucked or you'll be f*cked.

pr_capone
04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Beautiful scoot... I would pick that up in a heart beat.

That said.

Buy a running rat off of craigslist so when you drop it 10 times you won't feel too bad about it.

TAKE THE RIDERS SAFETY COURSE.

That is the best $300 investment you will make for your new bike.

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
If you really have "N O N E", sign up for the motorcycle safety class in your area, more than worth it. I'll defer to Radar if you can handle that bike, I was able to handle a CBR 600 as my first bike, but I'm also pretty sane, and didn't push harder than I thought I could handle. And 2 words, Frame Sliders...

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Two sound pieces of advice, well actually three with telling Mr. MIAdragon to listen to me. ;) But MSF Course and Frame Sliders are both very good ideas.

I think people see Ducati and 900 and think OMGzers, but they're really pretty soft on power. They're only putting something like 76-84 HP to the ground. You're CBR600F3 is putting down more than that.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_900ss%2098.htm

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cbr600f3%2097.htm

There's also something to be said for not going too small. A smaller bike may be easier for a newb to handle but they're also quickly outgrown.

I think the thing Mr. MIAdragon would like least about the Ducati is the cost of maintainence. That 900SS uses a "Desmo" valve train that besides being expensive to have adjusted is also such a PITA to mess with that he'd be glad to pay someone else to do it.

Skip Towne
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
You ride it awhile it rides you awhile

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Sitting right on the back tire like that with no fender, make sure your shirt never gets untucked or you'll be f*cked.

I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it but with the back tire uncovered like that, drive over one puddle and it'll leave a brown streak straight up his back.

RedNeckRaider
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it but with the back tire uncovered like that, drive over one puddle and it'll leave a brown streak straight up his back.

That was the first thing I thought about

Dayze
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
lots of torque on the Duc; which is fun as hell around town.

you should be fine. MSF course will reduce your likelihoos of laying it down. even a slow lay down will cost tons of coin

Oh, and enjoy the hell out of the Duc sound; i love the v-twin sport bike sound......ya bastard. :smile"

beats the sound out of my CBR.

Dayze
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
oh, and a good shop manual and feeler gauges for the valve check.

they're much more frequent than the Japanese bikes, but unless you're racing etc etc, the valves should (probably) will never fall out of tolerance.

so don't let those people out there discourage you by saying "you'll be working on it all the time". It's simply not true.
I used to help my buddy check his once a season - typically in the winter when you can't ride anyway.

Dayze
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Two sound pieces of advice, well actually three with telling Mr. MIAdragon to listen to me. ;) But MSF Course and Frame Sliders are both very good ideas.

I think people see Ducati and 900 and think OMGzers, but they're really pretty soft on power. They're only putting something like 76-84 HP to the ground. You're CBR600F3 is putting down more than that. .

yep; I'd rather have a good chunk of torque than hp anyday.
my CBR doesn't make 'real' power until about 8500 rpm anyway...which I hardly ever use on the street etc.

Ducs are killer. I love their retro bike...can't recall what it is. nice little replica-cafe racer.

Dayze
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
:D
:rockon::whackit:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q21_fJqPCOA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q21_fJqPCOA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

stevieray
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
:D
:rockon::whackit:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q21_fJqPCOA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q21_fJqPCOA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
watch the hyabusa with turbo acceleration vid...where he wheelies through three gears and the front end comes back down at about 130...

wild1
04-07-2009, 06:57 PM
nice ride. girls won't know how much HP you are packing. if they know anything they will see Ducati and start to disrobe.

i have thought about one but hear horror stories about repair bills.

riding an '08 triumph S3 right now.

Dayze
04-07-2009, 07:02 PM
watch the hyabusa with turbo acceleration vid...where he wheelies through three gears and the front end comes back down at about 130...

I think I've seen that; where the 'busa just effortless rolls up a wheelie in each gear etc.

that's 'scary' fast. not sure I'd want to ride that.....:evil:

Dayze
04-07-2009, 07:05 PM
nice ride. girls won't know how much HP you are packing. if they know anything they will see Ducati and start to disrobe.

i have thought about one but hear horror stories about repair bills.

riding an '08 triumph S3 right now.

Ducs got a bad rap for a long time because of catastrophic failure/crack of rocker arms etc; which = $$$ obvously. lately the new bikes come with 3yr maintenence plans etc. Although i'm not sure what the hourly shopt time is for a Duc; my CBR is 80/hr if I'm not mistaken - so that's nothing to sneeze at.

I think for the most part, people (myself included at one point) see the valve check/adjustment intervals at a 1/3 of Japanese bikes and panic a bit etc. It's not that big of deal.

I think with any failure of a part out of warranty etc, it's scary $$ no matter what kind of bike you're on etc.

wild1
04-07-2009, 07:11 PM
i'm sure it is like cars, as your father how reliable cars were back when he started driving and compare it to today... no comparison.

Radar Chief
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
yep; I'd rather have a good chunk of torque than hp anyday.
my CBR doesn't make 'real' power until about 8500 rpm anyway...which I hardly ever use on the street etc.

Ducs are killer. I love their retro bike...can't recall what it is. nice little replica-cafe racer.

Agreed.
What I've heard about the valve trains is just that they're a PITA to adjust since they have to be adjusted for opening and closing lash. I haven't heard of any catastrophic issues, except maybe with some of the earlier ones.

I'm more of a four cylinder guy, but I've always liked the looks and the sound of the Ducatis. My personal favorite is the 888 SPO.