PDA

View Full Version : Royals Whats wrong with Splittorf??

tyton75
04-07-2009, 02:37 PM
did he have a stroke or something? he sounds completely different.. like he has marbles in his mouth or something..

anyone else notice this?

MIAdragon
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
He lost a bet and had to do the broadcast with a Chinese dildo in his mouth

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Kind of reminds me of Buffalo Bill.

I'm just waiting for him to ask if Hillman's mom was a "Great big fat person."

jidar
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah I didn't even recognize his voice, thought they had someone else until they showed him.

keg in kc
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I was wondering that earlier. I didn't even realize it was him until Ryan used his name.

SPchief
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM
He has herpes of the mouth

tyton75
04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I used to like listening to him.. now its just irritating.. thought they just had some homeless guy off the street filling in.. not even Frank White is that bad!

Micjones
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I thought I heard someone say that he had a procedure done that caused some swelling of his tongue?

Mr. Krab
04-07-2009, 02:58 PM
he had some kind of virus. The doctor gave him some medicine that i guess he was allergic to and it fucked him up. I think it's just a temporary thing.

gblowfish
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe his body was infiltrated by the ghost of Harry Caray?

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Splittorf is a douchebag.

OmahaChief
04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Actually, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Rooster
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
He lost a bet and had to do the broadcast with a Chinese dildo in his mouth

Ironically enough GoChiefs writes for WPI with a Chinese dildo in his mouth.

KChiefs1
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Splittorff has been fighting a virus for two months. Take it easy on the guy.

gblowfish
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Homo Chiefs adds to his spectacular list of incorrect statements.

You have a gift, my friend. A gift.

thurman merman
04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Maybe his body was infiltrated by the ghost of Harry Caray?

sure sounded like it.

KcMizzou
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
He's had some health issues. Keitzman alluded to it, but wouldn't go into detail. He said Splittorff just wanted to assure everyone that he was fine.

CoMoChief
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Actually, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

As an adult maybe, but I remember him coming to our grade school and he flat out told all the kids in the assembly that none of us are going pro in any sports.

Seriously we pay a Royals pitcher to come to talk to some kids at a school, he ends saying none of us will make pro in any sport.

While he was pretty much right on many levels, seriously wtf does that to little kids that look up to these players while playing little league etc.?

Thats why I think he's a douchebag.

tomahawk kid
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
As an adult maybe, but I remember him coming to our grade school and he flat out told all the kids in the assembly that none of us are going pro in any sports.

Seriously we pay a Royals pitcher to come to talk to some kids at a school, he ends saying none of us will make pro in any sport.

While he was pretty much right on many levels, seriously wtf does that to little kids that look up to these players while playing little league etc.?

Sooooooo....he was honest?

God of Thunder
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Sooooooo....he was honest?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Perfect response sir.

BigRock
04-08-2009, 04:05 AM
wtf does that to little kids that look up to these players while playing little league etc.?

Makes them realize they should take their education seriously, because the chances of making millions of dollars as a pro ball player isn't the most likely outcome for their life?

Maybe he could have said it better, obviously I have no idea how he put it. But surely that had to be his point.

jidar
04-08-2009, 06:38 AM

The hell he is. He's a good commentator if you ask me.

Sure-Oz
04-08-2009, 06:59 AM

I see you proved him wrong by making it to the big show!

Reaper16
04-08-2009, 07:08 AM
I see you proved him wrong by making it to the big show!
Barnum & Bailey's?

tomahawk kid
04-08-2009, 07:10 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Perfect response sir.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul on a couple of occassions.

One of the nicest and most down to earth people you could ever meet.

Split's one of my all time fav's...........

Sure-Oz
04-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Barnum & Bailey's?

ROFL

Saulbadguy
04-08-2009, 07:14 AM

I seriously think you may be the worst poster on this board.

cmh6476
04-08-2009, 08:10 AM

i resent that statement

RINGLEADER
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Kind of reminds me of Buffalo Bill.

I'm just waiting for him to ask if Hillman's mom was a "Great big fat person."

ROFL

gblowfish
04-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I watched the game last night. Sounded like Splitt had a stroke.
Hope its only temporary, but it's painful listening to him speak right now.

DeezNutz
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Why do I doubt the veracity of this recollection? My guess: "It's very, very unlikely that anyone in the room will be a professional athlete," was interpreted by grade school ears as, "There's no hope111 You have no chance, kids111"

But did he hand out participation ribbons?

Bob Dole
04-08-2009, 09:35 AM

In with the trendy "This".

Pablo
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I seriously think you may be the worst poster on this board.Oh snap..and he's got Claythan, Hootie and DCS to compete with.

sportsman1
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Split is a great guy, and a good commentator. My mom told me he looked pretty bad when they showed him yesterday on TV. I listen to the radio broadcasts so I wouldn't know.

Demonpenz
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I guess Denny Matthews Triple dog dared Split to the frozen george brett statue at the k.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I've had the pleasure of meeting Paul on a couple of occassions.

He and his family were my neighbors in Blue Springs for 5 years. They lived directly across the street (and Fred Patek lived two houses down).

I can't even count how many times during those years that me and my brother were invited to play wiffle ball with Paul and his family, along with the likes of Cookie Rojas, Freddie, Jamie Quirk, George Brett and on and on and on.

This was way before MLB players were "millionaires". My parents paid $28,500 for that home in Blue Spring and their home was no different.

Best wishes to Paul and his family if he is indeed ill.

Cardinal Ry
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM
He and his family were my neighbors in Blue Springs for 5 years. They lived directly across the street (and Fred Patek lived two houses down).

I can't even count how many times during those years that me and my brother were invited to play wiffle ball with Paul and his family, along with the likes of Cookie Rojas, Freddie, Jamie Quirk, George Brett and on and on and on.

This was way before MLB players were "millionaires". My parents paid $28,500 for that home in Blue Spring and their home was no different.

We were neighbors!!!!Patek had 2 german shepards. One of them came after me as was jogging up the street. So true about the players being down to earth, our dog jumped the fence one night and Patek helped us find him. Small world!

Mr. Arrowhead
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090408&content_id=4167956&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

Illness forces Splittorff to return home
Long-time announcer to be replaced in booth by White

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

04/08/09 4:53 PM ET
CHICAGO -- Paul Splittorff gave it a determined try but he wasn't quite ready, and Frank White is filling in for his ex-teammate on the Royals' FOX Sports telecasts.

Splittorff teamed with Ryan Lefebvre on the Opening Day telecast on Tuesday from Chicago but had difficulties with his voice and has returned to Kansas City.

"It was obvious to anybody that heard the telecast that he's suffering from an illness and complications with his voice," said Mike Swanson, Royals vice president, communications and broadcasting. "Splitt wanted to open the season and it didn't go as well as it was hoped."

Swanson expressed the hope that Splittorff would recover fully and return to the Royals' telecasts, where he has been a fixture for 22 years.

"We're fortunate to be able to have Frank White to pinch-hit for him, one Royals Hall of Famer for another," Swanson said.

Splittorff missed some basketball assignments during the winter because of his medical difficulties.

He has the most victories by any pitcher in Royals history, 166, and was the team's first 20-game winner in 1973. In 1987, he was inducted into the Royals Hall of Fame.

White, an eight-time Gold Glove second baseman, is in his second season in the Royals' TV booth as an analyst. He also serves the team as a special advisor.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Dave Lane
04-08-2009, 04:59 PM

He could have been a contender!

Deberg_1990
04-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Good story.

Yea, if i remember right, Mike Schimdt was the first player to have a million dollar contract and that was the early 80's?? Then Brett followed a year or two after. I could be wrong?

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com.

Dick Kaegel.

ROFL

KcMizzou
04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Dick Kaegel.

ROFLOh damn.. didn't occur to me 'till you mentioned it. LMAO

Poor bastard.

Simply Red
04-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Did we already have this discussion? My cousin grew up on 18th st. as well.

eazyb81
04-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Makes them realize they should take their education seriously, because the chances of making millions of dollars as a pro ball player isn't the most likely outcome for their life?

Maybe he could have said it better, obviously I have no idea how he put it. But surely that had to be his point.

Homo Chief is a f'n retard though, you can't expect him to understand something this complex.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Did we already have this discussion? My cousin grew up on 18th st. as well.

Yeah, last summer on the phone.

DJ's left nut
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM

You are, without question, the biggest moron on the planet.

Antifreeze. For the love of all things holy, antifreeze.

You have tripped my "damn you're a stupid motherfucker" fuse. I can't even marshall a decent response to your steady stream of idiocy. I'm mostly just sitting here in awestruck.

Simply Red
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
You are, without question, the biggest moron on the planet.

Antifreeze. For the love of all things holy, antifreeze.

You have tripped my "damn you're a stupid mother****er" fuse. I can't even marshall a decent response to your steady stream of idiocy. I'm mostly just sitting here in awestruck.

C'mon Jamie, your dad can defend himself.