PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What will be the problem with the Chiefs Offense this season?

bowener
04-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I have been thinking about this a bit, as have all of you, and I am trying to figure out what will most likely sink our Offense next year; yeah, not very optimistic, but what can you expect...

As long as we don't go LT with the #3 (please don't turn this into a thread devoted to why or why not we should) Albert should continue to improve and be a dominate LT for us.

If Waters is over being a baby, he should not fall off much, so no problem here.

Center is a huge question mark right now, hopefully we will this in with a draft pick who can start right away and for 10 more years.

Right guard seems pretty iffy, as does RT... fuck.

So far, our OL seems to be the Achilles heel.

Our WR's seem fairly strong with Bowe and Tony G, not to mention that Haley can supposedly get the most out of WR's.

Our running backs, barring any physical beat downs of female bar patrons, seem experienced and capable, though immature they may be.

Our Quarterback situation seems set for a fast start if the O is some what similar to what Cassel is used to (please also do not turn this into a draft QB and trade MC thread).

I guess it is anticlimatic, but the OL seems to be what is going to fuck us over this year on the O side of the ball. Really makes me miss those years with Roaf, Shields, and Co. If only we had Pioli then.... my god, we would never have had to suffer through Herm and Dick Curl at the reigns. If only.

So, ignoring the D's needs for a moment, what are the steps needed to bring us back to being a top 10 (hopefully top 5!) offense in the NFL?

Will running a Patriots style O (lots of passing) help take pressure off the OL since they will likely see less pressure from outside blitzers and only have to focus primarily on the DL?
Or will we run a Cardinals style, where they wanted to run more often but couldnt (hopefully we can), but seems they still followed a mantra similar to the Pats, using the pass to set up the run, or the "antihermball" approach to life (aka Arean Ball).

Please, those of you who know, or think you know, more about football's X's and O's give me insight as to how you think the O will be structured, and from that, what the weakest link will ultimately be.

As a side note, it is going to be nice to finally have a coach/GM who will approach a game with the idea of "winning by any means necessary" (cheating jokes asside) and have the mental capability to game plan well. Too many times we watched Herm tirelessly call a run up the ass of the center with 9 in the box rather than throw the football.

Sorry for repost.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Our entire offense will be a problem until we have some legitimate porkchops protecting the skill players.

RustShack
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Goff will have RG on lockdown for another year or two. C and RT is our weakness as of now.

Buehler445
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Until they are replaced, RT and possibly C.

I read that Cassel did his best work from shotgun so I'd anticipate lots of passing until we get some horses up front.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Center, right guard, right tackle, running back and only one legitimate WR on the roster.

I like Bradley's potential and what he's brought to the team when healthy but at this time, it's a little presumptuous to assume that he'll be starting all 16 games. Same for Charles. He was hampered by hamstring injuries and only carried the ball 67 times.

The offense has several holes. Hopefully, most of those will be addressed during the draft (if not all).

RustShack
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Until they are replaced, RT and possibly C.

I read that Cassel did his best work from shotgun so I'd anticipate lots of passing until we get some horses up front.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haley used a lot of shotgun, Cassel is in the right situation. Gailey can get production out of QB's and the running game, Haley can get production out of QB's and WR's. I think our Oline coach is a big upgrade too.

RustShack
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Center, right guard, right tackle, running back and only one legitimate WR on the roster.

I like Bradley's potential and what he's brought to the team when healthy but at this time, it's a little presumptuous to assume that he'll be starting all 16 games. Same for Charles. He was hampered by hamstring injuries and only carried the ball 67 times.

The offense has several holes. Hopefully, most of those will be addressed during the draft (if not all).

Bradley is good when healthy, Engram while old is still a great slot receiver who can be a good #2 when need be.

RustShack
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
WR will be a strength after we draft Crabtree :)

Fish
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I think we'll pick up another lineman in the draft.

And I'm much much more worried about the defense than the offense right now. The offense is going to be far from the deciding factor this year.

Hog Farmer
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
If we took Crabtree and then focused on fixing the rest of our line in the draft I'd say our offense could be considered

AWESOME.

Coogs
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM
If we took Crabtree and then focused on fixing the rest of our line in the draft I'd say our offense could be considered

AWESOME.

I could think of worse draft day plans than this one. Key being Cassel in this scenario.

bowener
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM

And I'm much much more worried about the defense than the offense right now. The offense is going to be far from the deciding factor this year.

Thats kind of why I wanted to discuss it. There is a lot of questions to ask for the D side of the ball, some of those will go away after the draft most likely, but for now there is just too much change that is going to take place for me to start wanting to talk about it.

bdeg
04-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Yes. This is a question to ask after the draft. We don't even know who's even going to be on the team yet.

talastan
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
While I'm still for picking a DE/OLB prospect with our top pick, I would rather have Maclin instead of Crabtree if we go WR. Homer accusations aside, Maclin has the speed and deep threat abilities that we lack; while Crabtree IMO is much like D-Bowe as a possesion WR. Maclin also adds to his value as a legitmate threat in the PR/KR department. With Bowe, Maclin, Engram, and Tony G we'd have one of the best receiver corps in the league. JMO though..

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
If we can average 20.3 pts a game with Thigpen (avg scoring ouput over the course of his 10 starts), we can do at least that well with Cassel, if not better.

I, for one, think Goff will be a big upgrade at RG. He'll be above average. I think Pioli will find a RT...it's honestly not that hard for a GOOD personnel man.

ChiTown
04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
IMO, it starts and stops with the OL. We have got some serious issues to address there.

bowener
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
If we can average 20.3 pts a game with Thigpen (avg scoring ouput over the course of his 10 starts), we can do at least that well with Cassel, if not better.

I, for one, think Goff will be a big upgrade at RG. He'll be above average. I think Pioli will find a RT...it's honestly not that hard for a GOOD personnel man.

I am also curious to see how much of a difference better coaching will have on our team as a whole, but the OL as well. I cannot imagine that Herm was much of a help outside of his position coaches knowledge:

Player: "Coach, do you have any advice on my technique or who I can improve?"

Herm: "Uh... yeah, I, uh... you see... uh, PUSH! You got to get the DE flustrated, and if he is flustrated that means you have been pushing on him. I'll watch some film and get back to you."

Yeah, lame, but its funnier in my head when I see Herm's face.

bowener
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes. This is a question to ask after the draft. We don't even know who's even going to be on the team yet.

Yeah, I agree, but that is why I went with the O. I figure there really are only 2-3 spots that are truly wide open. C/RT/#2 WR.

The D is far worse conjecture than the O is as of right now.

LaChapelle
04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Cassel is 6' 4" with his helmet off.

ChiTown
04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Cassel is 6' 4" with his helmet off.

who cares?

What's really important is his height with his helmet propped on his head, backwards.

LaChapelle
04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
who cares?

What's really important is his height with his helmet propped on his head, backwards.

That picture just cracks me up. It's like from Mars Attacks or something.

Count Zarth
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I agree, but that is why I went with the O. I figure there really are only 2-3 spots that are truly wide open. C/RT/#2 WR.

The D is far worse conjecture than the O is as of right now.

I don't know WTF we're gonna do on D. The front seven is in the worst shape it's ever been in with the switch to the 3-4.

But GOOD personnel departments can build a D in a year or two. So if the offense is where we THINK it is, it won't be long til the team is turned around.

KCrockaholic
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Our running game will be a problem on offense. Not a big one, but it was be the biggest of all the other problems. Now the important part...Our defense.

Fish
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I am also curious to see how much of a difference better coaching will have on our team as a whole, but the OL as well. I cannot imagine that Herm was much of a help outside of his position coaches knowledge:

Player: "Coach, do you have any advice on my technique or who I can improve?"

Herm: "Uh... yeah, I, uh... you see... uh, PUSH! You got to get the DE flustrated, and if he is flustrated that means you have been pushing on him. I'll watch some film and get back to you."

Yeah, lame, but its funnier in my head when I see Herm's face.

Ehh.. I'm not convinced we're going to see a dramatic change to our offensive production solely because of different coaching. It's still going to take some additional pieces and some time for the unit to get it all together, regardless of who is telling them what to do. But I do have more confidence that the new coaching staff should be able to identify who deserves to be on the field and work to keep that group together. Consistency is going to be key for this group. We're still going to struggle with some of the same problems as last year. Especially if we have any injuries.

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Unless Richardson's lightbulb suddenly goes on, the Chiefs better address the center, right guard and right tackle positions. Putting Cassel out there behind the guys currently on the roster is a recipe for disaster. Unless of course they're planning to run the spread again on every down and distance.

:Lin:

The defense is missing all but two or three starting positions and won't be adequately addressed in this draft. It's very weak for defensive players, though 2010 is exactly the opposite.

2009 is for offensive lineman and wide recievers. 2010 is for defensive players. I'd be shocked if the Chiefs reached for defense in a year where it's weak otherwise avoiding the best draft for offensive linemen in well over a decade (or maybe ever).

T-post Tom
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Mark Tauscher remains unsigned. He is coming off a torn ACL and may not be at full speed until early in the regular season. Teams have shyed away from him because of the injury. He might be worth a look with the right contract (incentive laden). He seems like a "Pioli" guy. (Work ethic, "football player", coach-on-the-field,etc.)

Fish
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Unless Richardson's lightbulb suddenly goes on, the Chiefs better address the center, right guard and right tackle positions. Putting Cassel out there behind the guys currently on the roster is a recipe for disaster. Unless of course they're planning to run the spread again on every down and distance.

:Lin:

The defense is missing all but two or three starting positions and won't be adequately addressed in this draft. It's very weak for defensive players, though 2010 is exactly the opposite.

2009 is for offensive lineman and wide recievers. 2010 is for defensive players. I'd be shocked if the Chiefs reached for defense in a year where it's weak otherwise avoiding the best draft for offensive linemen in well over a decade (or maybe ever).

At this point, I'm expecting them to only address one more starting spot on the OLine. I can't see them spending much additional resources on OLine.

And regardless of the strength of this years draft, defense is going to have to be addressed significantly. They have a little flexibility with the 4-3/3-4 hybrid possibility. But I'm expecting them to go D early in the draft. Even though I wish they'd take their lumps and draft QB, knowing and accepting the D will struggle a bit.

RustShack
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
While I'm still for picking a DE/OLB prospect with our top pick, I would rather have Maclin instead of Crabtree if we go WR. Homer accusations aside, Maclin has the speed and deep threat abilities that we lack; while Crabtree IMO is much like D-Bowe as a possesion WR. Maclin also adds to his value as a legitmate threat in the PR/KR department. With Bowe, Maclin, Engram, and Tony G we'd have one of the best receiver corps in the league. JMO though..

Cassel doesn't really have the arm to get the ball to deep threats... and its just stupid to use a starting WR as a KR/PR. I think Crabtree fits the offense a lot better, even if we already have Bowe.

King_Chief_Fan
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Or will we run a Cardinals style, where they wanted to run more often but couldnt (hopefully we can), but seems they still followed a mantra similar to the Pats, using the pass to set up the run, or the "antihermball" approach to life (aka Arean Ball).

Isn't that what the Chiefs did last year except they never got the copied Patriots part. Maybe that is why Haley is hanging on to Galey...use that spread.

RustShack
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I think they will run more of the Cards offense... while they use a lot of the Shotgun it isn't the spread offense...

Micjones
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
At this point, I'm expecting them to only address one more starting spot on the OLine. I can't see them spending much additional resources on OLine.

And regardless of the strength of this years draft, defense is going to have to be addressed significantly. They have a little flexibility with the 4-3/3-4 hybrid possibility. But I'm expecting them to go D early in the draft. Even though I wish they'd take their lumps and draft QB, knowing and accepting the D will struggle a bit.

At this point I think I pull the trigger and sign Tauscher.
He'll give you a 1-2 year window at Right Tackle.

You can draft a Center, a Right Guard, and a Right Tackle in April.
That way whomever is ready to be an immediate starter can do so.
Anyone who isn't quite ready has a year or two to get there.

We need to solidify this line...
Tauscher helps us do that.

Albert/Waters/Niswanger/Goff/Tauscher
With the new three (from the draft) competing to replace 1 or more of those players in year one.

There are a couple other younger RT options who are less impressive:
Kwame Harris, Rob Petitti, and Shane Olivea.

I'd expect at least one more FA signing along the line.