PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Lions to go with Stafford? (as reported by NBC quoting Mike Florio/ProFootballTalk)

Coogs
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30110331/

Looks like the draft is starting to take some shape. I also heard this on the radio about an hour ago. The radio said The SportingNews was reporting this as the Lions choice.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 03:58 PM
The Planet "reported" this months ago!:D

Mecca
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
He sucks I read it here on the planet.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Well he's no Sanchez.:Poke:

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I believe that is the right move for them.

doomy3
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM

:rolleyes:

But yet nearly everyone has said he would be their pick at 3 in the thread that question was asked.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
So who's next off the board?

AustinChief
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
The Detroit Lions will draft former Georgia star quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 pick at the NFL draft on April 25, Pro Football Talk reported Wednesday.

Now NBC gets its news from Mike Florio???? What the hell.

AustinChief
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Lions Plan to draft Matt Stafford with No. 1 pick (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/22900/lions_plan_to_draft_matt_stafford_with_no._1_pick_)[B]

Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Posted By (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/22900/lions_plan_to_draft_matt_stafford_with_no._1_pick_)Mike Florio (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/author/mflorio.tsn) 12:33 PM
Though they've done a fairly good job of keeping people guessing about their true intentions, we're told that the Detroit Lions currently plan to take quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick in the 2009 draft.
If what we're hearing and how we're hearing it is part of the smokescreen process, then they're doing a fabulous job of it.
Based on the organization's recent history, however, it's more likely that they aren't quite as crafty about spreading misinformation as this specific tactic would require. (For obvious reasons, we can't disclose how we obtained the information.) [/URL][URL="http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/22900/lions_plan_to_draft_matt_stafford_with_no._1_pick_"]
Although as to the other teams there's no strategic reason to conceal the identity of the player they plan to draft since the Lions get the first pick, there's a separate shell game as it relates to negotiating a contract.
Given that Michigan tackle Jake Long received $30 million guaranteed last year on a five-year deal, a quarterback taken in the first overall slot will likely want $35 million guaranteed on a five-year contract - and more than $40 million guaranteed on a six-year deal.
That said, there's a ceiling on the maximum possible guaranteed money that a rookie can receive, in light of the rookie salary pool (which limits the total payout to all of a team's first-year players) and the rules regarding the extent to which the contract can grow in future seasons.
Whatever the ceiling is, Stafford will surely want it all, if he's the first overall pick.
Two years ago, the Raiders took quarterback JaMarcus Russell in the No. 1 spot. A lengthy holdout, which stretched into September, washed out any chance of getting meaningful playing time as a rookie. He eventually appeared in four games, starting one and generating a passer rating of 55.9.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
[B]</H2>

Okay gang...

SBK
I'll believe it when it see it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
ESPN just reported that Curry will not be one of the green room invitees because he's going to cure a leper colony in Bombay during the weekend of the draft.

After that, he's going to make a stop at a wedding in Canaan.

Miles
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM

They have been quoted by various news outlets over the past year or so.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
ESPN just reported that Curry will not be one of the green room invitees because he's going to cure a leper colony in Bombay during the weekend of the draft.

ROFL

Pestilence
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM

PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
So, if you are STL do you go with a LT or Sanchez?

LaChapelle
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Rams your pick is on the trading block....er you're on the clock.

Woodrow Call
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
So, if you are STL do you go with a LT or Sanchez?

I'd be calling Denver.

CupidStunt
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
:rolleyes:

But yet nearly everyone has said he would be their pick at 3 in the thread that question was asked.

That little clan of idiots has nothing but straw men arguments. Funny, really, because they actually do say the consensus best player in the draft sucks, which none of the "anti"-Stafford folk do.

AustinChief
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
They have been quoted by various news outlets over the past year or so.

WHY??? Florio is a lawyer from West Virginia (they have laws there?)

He may be a great guy, but it just seams that he shouldn't have anymore credibility then me...

I was going to say then the guys at WPI... BUT they actually have done things to harm theirs... not sure how often Florio just makes things up...

Pestilence
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd be calling Denver.

Dis.

soundmind
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
That would be sweet if the unmentionable occurred and both QBs were taken back-to-back 1 and 2...but I agree, if true (and I think its smart to take Stafford) this obviously puts STL on the block...er, clock - but you have to think they like having their pick of the litter on LT and will happily use that selection to acquire the one they covet.

SBK
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Rams your pick is on the trading block....er you're on the clock.

The media has already reported on the Lions and Rams wanting to trade down.

SBK
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
That would be sweet if the unmentionable occurred and both QBs were taken back-to-back 1 and 2...but I agree, if true (and I think its smart) this obviously puts STL on the block...er, clock.

It'd be a blow to the folks who think QB's aren't worth high picks. :D

Iowanian
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
If that's true, and St Louis is smart enough to go get the OT they want/need, the #3 pick just got a little more valuable for a team wanting to leapfrog Seattle for Sanchez/#2OT.

Pioli Zombie
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I never understood why people were convinced the Rams were hell bent on drafting a left tackle instead of trying to trade down.
Posted via Mobile Device

soundmind
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
The media has already reported on the Lions and Rams wanting to trade down.

I absolutely love how the NFL Network even makes a blatant argument that something has to be done - that's its like further punishment to the team in the worst condition to have to absorb that kind of contract on someone with ZERO NFL experience. It's a shame that it's gotten this out of control.

Because of that though, nobody wants to pick top 5 if they have any kind of budget. The whole thing just has a monumental possibility of blowing up in your face - and there's no way to predict the future, they're all a gamble.

Iowanian
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
They just lost Orlando Pace for one....

I could see why they'd want to trade down, because like the Chiefs, they've got a lot of holes to fill, and lets face it, top 5 picks are expensive AND unproven.

During this bargaining agreement, the NFL HAS to address a slotting system IMO.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I never understood why people were convinced the Rams were hell bent on drafting a left tackle instead of trying to trade down.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am sure everyone in the top 3 would love to trade down, but it is easier said then done.

Pioli Zombie
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I am sure everyone in the top 3 would love to trade down, but it is easier said then done.
I still think if a team is desperate for a young qb then it can be done
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Actually, that is why I put the question mark on the thread title.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I still think if a team is desperate for a young qb then it can be done
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, I agree. It just comes down to how much they are willing to give up to get said QB.

KCrockaholic
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
The Deal is Done!

Pioli Zombie
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Now that we all have some knowledge of the draft isn't it effen amazing that idiot Ditka gave up an entire draft for a ruuning back??
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Actually, that is why I put the question mark on the thread title.

Yeah I noticed that, I added the extra bit just to make it super clear that this MAY be true... (some people on here don't have the best reading comprehension skills.. :D)

KCrockaholic
04-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Now that we all have some knowledge of the draft isn't it effen amazing that idiot Ditka gave up an entire draft for a ruuning back??
Posted via Mobile Device

That had to be the biggest mistake of Ditka's career. Just retarded.

Well hey so far on my 1st round mock draft I am 1 for 1 if this is true.

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The Redskins are bigger idiots for not capitalizing on that mistake.

kysirsoze
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
It'd be a blow to the folks who think QB's aren't worth high picks. :D

Only if they pan out. ;)

JASONSAUTO
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh, I agree. It just comes down to how much they are willing to give up to get said QB.

this year it might come down to which team(rams,chiefs, lions) is willing to take the least for their pick

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

For one the NFC West sucks dick. A healthy Bulger and the Rams could win.

KCUnited
04-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Orlando Pace was their number 1 pick and was the anchor to their SB runs. :shrug:

wild1
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
i wish they would move the draft up a couple of weeks... then the brain trust around here could move on to curing cancer or something

Frazod
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
God I hope the Lambs pass on Sanchez. Time to give Denver a draft day asspounding so epic that it will make me forget about the whole cooking spray thing. At least for a couple of hours. :grr:

Coogs
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I noticed that, I added the extra bit just to make it super clear that this MAY be true... (some people on here don't have the best reading comprehension skills.. :D)

:thumb: Fair enough!

Chiefless
04-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Not surprised to hear this. Dude is gifted.

SBK
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
God I hope the Lambs pass on Sanchez. Time to give Denver a draft day asspounding so epic that it will make me forget about the whole cooking spray thing. At least for a couple of hours. :grr:

Even better, draft him and then offer everyone but Denver a shot at one of our QB's.

Then point and laugh at Kyle Orton.

Marcellus
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
i wish they would move the draft up a couple of weeks... then the brain trust around here could move on to curing cancer or something

LMAO QFT.

Frankie
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Here's my 2 cents:

Sanchez's value just went way up to teams like Denver and other QB seekers. There's now desperation value injected into it. The Rams IMO desperately need a stud LT. So my thought is they will stay at 2 and take Smith. This all means that Pioli is now having an erection about our pick and its new-found value. IMO our chances of trading down has gone up tenfold. That would be just sweet.

Crush
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM

He will no show the Draft for our sins.

Crush
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
The Redskins are bigger idiots for not capitalizing on that mistake.

Yep, people tend forget that the Redskins were part of that scenario. With any form of competence in their Front Office, they establish themselves as a dynasty with those picks.

the Talking Can
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
That little clan of idiots has nothing but straw men arguments. Funny, really, because they actually do say the consensus best player in the draft sucks, which none of the "anti"-Stafford folk do.

don't know where you've been.....but we had lots of people arguing not only that Stafford wasn't worth our pick, but that he wasn't even a good QB....

i had to listen to these same dumb arguments from so many insanely stupid chiefs fan that i swore off discussing QBs altogether....the stupidity would literally not cease...

Crush
04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!

Amen.