PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security China and Russia hacking into US power grid.

googlegoogle
04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Why the hell is our powergrid connected to the f-ing internet? Stupid. Anything with national security shouldn't be connected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5126584/China-and-Russia-hack-into-US-power-grid.html

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=cybercrime_and_hacking&articleId=9131297&taxonomyId=82&intsrc=kc_top

eazyb81
04-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Saw this on Kudlow tonight. Very scary.

wild1
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Why the hell is our powergrid connected to the f-ing internet? Stupid. Anything with national security shouldn't be connected.

Probably because the government didn't want to lay cable between every two places.

Iowanian
04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
There should be some retribution for those doing this...

We know the Chinese have an entire army of hackers putting together virus' and hacks to screw with us, and fight us if we ever tangle with them. I sure hope we've got a nerd herd of our own ready to fight back on that.....somehow, I assume we're probably way, way behind in that area.

googlegoogle
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
microsoft operating system and office word processing software were the culprits.

jesus christ. Someone should be fired.

HonestChieffan
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Its Bush's fault

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM
There should be some retribution for those doing this...

We know the Chinese have an entire army of hackers putting together virus' and hacks to screw with us, and fight us if we ever tangle with them. I sure hope we've got a nerd herd of our own ready to fight back on that.....somehow, I assume we're probably way, way behind in that area.I wouldn't assume that. I don't know anything, and I mean I really don't know anything, but there are people who work on stuff very similar to this everyday. I don't know them and can't tell you their names or where they work, but they exist.

SBK
04-08-2009, 11:50 PM
How is this news? I'm still dreaming of a world without nukes.

***SPRAYER
04-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Great.

BigRedChief
04-09-2009, 07:30 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5126584/China-and-Russia-hack-into-US-power-grid.html

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=cybercrime_and_hacking&articleId=9131297&taxonomyId=82&intsrc=kc_top
All this is just the failure of a good patching program. Business's that have a good patchng program in place are not vulnerable to these kind of expliots.

This information is freely available on the internet. You don't have to be a spy or a foreign government. For crissakes 60 mintues showed you how to get thousands of credit card and social security #'s from the parking lot of a retail store.

Rain Man
04-09-2009, 02:14 PM
How is this news? I'm still dreaming of a world without nukes.

It sounds like a world without electricity is a more attainable dream.

2bikemike
04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
We are continually working on Cyber security issues at work. This is nothing new. As long as we have a connective grid there are going to be control systems that have to operate Inter/Intra net. Power grids have been a primary target during warfare since we had power grids. We just used to and still will bomb strategic points. Which really is way more detrimental to the grid. Its hard to patch up a blown up power line. Hell just look what an ice storm or hurricane does to a grid. That is not to say that a hacker can't do serious damage. But unless equipment is damaged the grid can comeback pretty quickly it just won't be as connected. I am pretty sure we would just island ourselves and provide only to our area of the grid.

And if anybody thinks were not playing the same games is pretty nieve. All of this just proves that Defense must remain our top priority. We will always be threatened and the only way to protect ourselves is through a strong military. BTW I believe the USAF is now laying claim to Air/Space/and Cyberspace.

StcChief
04-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Its Bush's faultObummer is contemplating the response, after dealing with under armed Somalia pirates in dead dingy.

J Diddy
04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Obummer is contemplating the response, after dealing with under armed Somalia pirates in dead dingy.

You are absolutely correct. Bush would have blown the dingy and the hostage to hell and back by now because it'd be cool.

StcChief
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
You are absolutely correct. Bush would have blown the dingy and the hostage to hell and back by now because it'd be cool.No but Obummer will let his Somlia Bro's walk. and pay $1M too.