PDA

View Full Version : Economics Dubai's Slave Society

SBK
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
This is long, but a fascinating read. Especially if you're someone that has any interest in all the development going on in Dubai.

http://digg.com/d1oA2o

This talks about how the government is allowing companies to enslave foreign workers, and how failures from around the world go there to get rich and act like a master class.

If this article is in fact accurate Dubai is in for a fall that will make the rest of the world look like a sunny Sunday afternoon.

petegz28
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
No wonder Rush Limbaugh gets a woody whenever he talks about this place.

SBK
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM

This is a retarded post.

I've always wanted to see Dubai, I love architecture and the artist expression of buildings. There is no place in the world like Dubai, especially when looking at how much they're doing at once.

After reading this article I can't say I'm surprised, but it does reflect on how much better we have it over here in the US, and how far we've come in our short history.

It's a well written piece, very eye-opening. (plus it has 2,500 diggs)

HonestChieffan
04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
its no matter to me.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Dubai is seriously shameful.

Saul Good
04-08-2009, 09:17 PM

JFC. What is your obsession with Rush Limbaugh?

SBK
04-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Dubai is seriously shameful.

I'll be shocked if anyone reads this comes to any other conclusion. Well, perhaps racist....

petegz28
04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
JFC. What is your obsession with Rush Limbaugh?

Cause he is the epitome ofwhat is wrong with the Right.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I'll be shocked if anyone reads this comes to any other conclusion. Well, perhaps racist....LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE~!

SBK
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Cause he is the epitome ofwhat is wrong with the Right.

You've got a full on man crush.

petegz28
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
You've got a full on man crush.

Dude, I used to be a big fan of Rush. And then I quit smoking pot.

HonestChieffan
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Hate Dubai becuse they are rich and they dont care if thier richness offends you....so libs declare them as bad. Same libs could care a hoot about Darfur.

Hate rich folk and ignore people who really need your help.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Hate Dubai becuse they are rich and they dont care if thier richness offends you....so libs declare them as bad. Same libs could care a hoot about Darfur.

Hate rich folk and ignore people who really need your help.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9fWvub_WBho&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9fWvub_WBho&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM

I have no problem with them being rich at all. I do have a problem with slave labor.

banyon
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM

That's a great take on the article about indentured servitude. You sure showed those nasty libs, huh?

HonestChieffan
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM
evil rich folk must be rich becuse they use slaves...great idea for a story...no matter if true, people love stories about slaves and rich folks.

petegz28
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM
That's a great take on the article about indentured servitude. You sure showed those nasty libs, huh?

Hey, it is just capitalism. /Rush Limbaugh

petegz28
04-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I think this thread proves my philosophy so many of you have slammed me for.....that is slavery is the ultimate form of capitalism.

Ultra Peanut
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
evil rich folk must be rich becuse they use slaves...great idea for a story...no matter if true, people love stories about slaves and rich folks.You're really dumb.

banyon
04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
evil rich folk must be rich becuse they use slaves...great idea for a story...no matter if true, people love stories about slaves and rich folks.

Who do you think actually think you are replying to? No one has posted anything resembling your comment here. Just the mythical boogeyman in your head.

The article is about modern indentured servitude. It should be abominable to any thinking person, regardless of their political stripes.

HonestChieffan
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Read the feedback to the story from people who have a clue and have been there. Im sure sitting in the heart of Kansas you can judge and condem a country and its people based on one over the top story.

wild1
04-08-2009, 10:00 PM
being a slave in a muslim country might be the only thing worse than being a woman in one

banyon
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Read the feedback to the story from people who have a clue and have been there. Im sure sitting in the heart of Kansas you can judge and condem a country and its people based on one over the top story.

And you can deny it sitting near the same place?

And that's based on internet user comments to the article?

Really?

Denver Dave
04-08-2009, 11:48 PM
I think this thread proves my philosophy so many of you have slammed me for.....that is slavery is the ultimate form of capitalism.

How is Dubai a capitalist country? The hardest working individuals aren't even rewarded for the value of their labor.

SBK
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Just a hint--if you don't read the article you should not start a fight based upon it.

I'm a huge capitalist pig, one of the more conservative folks on this board and this article pisses me off. It's not a slam on the rich at all. If the article is entirely true Dubai is truly a scum of the earth place.

SBK
04-09-2009, 12:03 AM

If being enslaved by the government is what you mean by capitalism. Did you read this or not?

SBK
04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey, it is just capitalism. /Rush Limbaugh

No, this isn't capitalism.

And the big myth is that conservatives don't want all to succeed. Because we think government hand outs will stifle personal growth and ambition we are somehow labeled as hatemongers, while the folks that dish out welfare destroy the lives of millions of people and are lauded as heroes.

Denver Dave
04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Dubai is a microcosm of the world in general. Northern latitude peoples (North Americans, Europeans, Japanese) live fat and happy, while the browns (****ers, spics, punjabs, islanders, i.e. people from the southern latitudes) do the manual labor that we benefit off.

SBK
04-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Dubai is a microcosm of the world in general. Northern latitude peoples (North Americans, Europeans, Japanese) live fat and happy, while the browns do the manual labor that we benefit off.

The world maybe, but I don't buy that line of bull here in the US. I would also recommend you edit out the (---) section, bad form there.

Ultra Peanut
04-09-2009, 03:08 AM
How is Dubai a capitalist country? The hardest working individuals aren't even rewarded for the value of their labor.hmmmm

http://j.photos.cx/1920_0101_wallstreet-6db.jpg

http://j.photos.cx/Loading-Coal-5ae.jpg

capitalism ≠ meritocracy

WilliamTheIrish
04-09-2009, 03:58 AM

So, Mrs Jolie, how many kids you gonna adopt? Like you give one good damn about Darfur. What a fucking turd.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2009, 05:18 AM
LET THE FREE MARKET DECIDE~!

...and the market says it's not an efficient system

BucEyedPea
04-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Suddenly, conservatives are progressives.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2009, 05:21 AM
I see pete still has mercantilism and/or authoritarian systems confused with market capitalism.

Ultra Peanut
04-09-2009, 06:28 AM
...and the market says it's not an efficient systemrrrrreally

BucEyedPea
04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
rrrrreally

....yyyeeess. Slaves were also expensive to support too. Nevermind get an unfree man to work efficiently.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 08:04 AM
I see pete still has mercantilism and/or authoritarian systems confused with market capitalism.

No, I see you keep confusing mercantilism for somehthing it isn't. For the last time, BEP, Mercantilism involves PROTECTIONISM.

JFC, why the fuck can you not get that through your head?

petegz28
04-09-2009, 08:06 AM
How is Dubai a capitalist country? The hardest working individuals aren't even rewarded for the value of their labor.

I think you just answered your own questions. I have news for you.....the hardest working people in this country are not even rewarded for their labor.

Ultra Peanut
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
....yyyeeess. Slaves were also expensive to support too. Nevermind get an unfree man to work efficiently.oh boy

SBK
04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I think you just answered your own questions. I have news for you.....the hardest working people in this country are not even rewarded for their labor.

They're paid exactly what they agree to receive in exchange for the work. Unlike in Dubai, where they're promised one thing and then paid (or not paid) an entirely different amount.

Amnorix
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who thinks that any of this is remotely acceptable really needs some kind of psychological help.

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (2,300) for the work visa – a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.

As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

Sahinal was in a panic. His family back home – his son, daughter, wife and parents – were waiting for money, excited that their boy had finally made it. But he was going to have to work for more than two years just to pay for the cost of getting here – and all to earn less than he did in Bangladesh.

SBK
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who thinks that any of this is remotely acceptable really needs some kind of psychological help.

Thanks for posting that, it's the first a few of the folks commenting in here had seen of the article. :D

If this article is true, and I have no reason to believe it's a lie, I'll enjoy watching the economic collapse of Dubai just a little bit.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
They're paid exactly what they agree to receive in exchange for the work. Unlike in Dubai, where they're promised one thing and then paid (or not paid) an entirely different amount.

Hey, that is just capitalism. Or so says Rush and Erin Burnett.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for posting that, it's the first a few of the folks commenting in here had seen of the article. :D

If this article is true, and I have no reason to believe it's a lie, I'll enjoy watching the economic collapse of Dubai just a little bit.

Why would it collapse when the likes of Rush Limbaugh praise it and vacation there and CNBC reports from there about what an economic boom it is?

SBK
04-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Why would it collapse when the likes of Rush Limbaugh praise it and vacation there and CNBC reports from there about what an economic boom it is?

Read the article dumbass.

Saul Good
04-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Pete, you've outdone yourself. 5 mentions of Rush Limbaugh in 3 pages of a thread about Dubai. It's fascinating the way that you try to shoehorn him into every possible conversation.

Your slavery=capitalism drivel is getting tedious, too. It's like the term free market is completely lost on you.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Pete, you've outdone yourself. 5 mentions of Rush Limbaugh in 3 pages of a thread about Dubai. It's fascinating the way that you try to shoehorn him into every possible conversation.

Your slavery=capitalism drivel is getting tedious, too. It's like the term free market is completely lost on you.

Figures a Rush supporter would equate slavery to "free market".

And it isn't my fault Rush gets a woodie when he talks about Dubai.

I don't need to shoehorn him inot anything. If you have ever paid attention to the arrogant, fat ass you would know this.

petegz28
04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Read the article dumbass.

Ah, now I have to be a dumbass, heh?

**** you too.

and this isn't an article. it's a fucking novel.

Saul Good
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Figures a Rush supporter would equate slavery to "free market".

And it isn't my fault Rush gets a woodie when he talks about Dubai.

I don't need to shoehorn him inot anything. If you have ever paid attention to the arrogant, fat ass you would know this.

I don't even know where to start with this pile of stupid. You are the dumbass who says that slavery is the purest form of capitalism, ie. free market.

This topic has absolutely nothing to do with Rush Limbaugh, but you hate Rush like Larry Craig hates gays.

Saul Good
04-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Ah, now I have to be a dumbass, heh?

**** you too.

and this isn't an article. it's a ****ing novel.

Too busy?

petegz28
04-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't even know where to start with this pile of stupid. You are the dumbass who says that slavery is the purest form of capitalism, ie. free market.

This topic has absolutely nothing to do with Rush Limbaugh, but you hate Rush like Larry Craig hates gays.

Sorry if I insulted your boyfriend.

BucEyedPea
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
oh boy

oh girl

KILLER_CLOWN
04-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Not surprising, I heard Cheney bought a nice place there.

Cannibal
04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
But regulation is not required. These companies are good natured and will police themselves.

/BEP

SBK
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM

When you're enslaving people there will be a huge price to pay. This country paid a big one with the Civil War. Had we not had slavery there would have been no Civil War and thousands and thousands of American's wouldn't have died.

And if you would have read the article you would have read about how the economy there has come to a screeching halt, and how the entire thing was built upon unsustainable debt.

SBK
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
But regulation is not required. These companies are good natured and will police themselves.

/BEP

Another one guilty of commenting without reading.

petegz28
04-10-2009, 06:06 PM
When you're enslaving people there will be a huge price to pay. This country paid a big one with the Civil War. Had we not had slavery there would have been no Civil War and thousands and thousands of American's wouldn't have died.

And if you would have read the article you would have read about how the economy there has come to a screeching halt, and how the entire thing was built upon unsustainable debt.

Yea, the price they are paying is Rush talking up his golf outings there and CNBC reporting what a symbol of capitalism it is.

SBK
04-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Yea, the price they are paying is Rush talking up his golf outings there and CNBC reporting what a symbol of capitalism it is.

I might as well give a good suggestion for green tea cause it has as much relevance to this article as what you just posted.

In fact, this whole discussion you've brought to the table has nothing to do with this article, the slave society in Dubai, or how the economy there has come to a grinding halt. The whole mirage of Dubai was fake, and if you'd have read this you'd know it.

Now back to your mancrush on Limbaugh.

petegz28
04-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I might as well give a good suggestion for green tea cause it has as much relevance to this article as what you just posted.

In fact, this whole discussion you've brought to the table has nothing to do with this article, the slave society in Dubai, or how the economy there has come to a grinding halt. The whole mirage of Dubai was fake, and if you'd have read this you'd know it.

Now back to your mancrush on Limbaugh.

Dude, you really need to learn what the fuck sarcasm is.

SBK
04-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Dude, you really need to learn what the **** sarcasm is.

Please, you weren't being sarcastic.

petegz28
04-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Please, you weren't being sarcastic.

Pull it out of your ass.

googlegoogle
04-12-2009, 05:56 PM
dangerous country.

SBK
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Pull it out of your ass.

:deevee: